HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Make no mistake: L-Lowe screwed it up

Closed Thread

Old
08-27-2004, 09:21 AM
Bring Back Bucky

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanashell11
If Lowe had any kind of track record of pulling rabbits out of his hat I may say wait till the season starts and see what he does by then before blaming Lowe, but he has not proven that he can bag us a #1 center since weight left. I am very disappointed and no longer think he is the guy to lead this team back to where it belongs. This sucks, Lowe sucks...

And that ladies is exactly what the issue is. It's not that Petr Nedved only lasted 20 games as an Oiler, that's part of life. It's that in the three seasons since our last number one center left he has blown money on 2 retreaded tires, seen the one asset the organization developed leave town and watched idly while other teams address their needs. The problem runs much, much deeper than not signing Nedved, and not signing whoever becomes the next trendy person to dream about signing on these boards.

Old
08-27-2004, 02:47 PM
Seachd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep Malhi
Kevin Lowe,

There's a UFA that WANTS to play in Edmonton. A solid offensive game, great wrist shot, excellent on the PP. Not a defensive liability either. Way to low ball him at 8 million Lowe! If I were Nedved, I'd be pretty disgusted too.
If Nedved actually wanted to play in Edmonton, he'd be an Oiler right now. Obviously he'd rather be the #2 centre in Phoenix.

Old
08-27-2004, 11:18 PM
Cujo_31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
If Nedved actually wanted to play in Edmonton, he'd be an Oiler right now. Obviously he'd rather be the #2 centre in Phoenix.

My thoughts exactly. he signed with Phoenix for a mere $500 more over the term of the contract, he was just paying lip service hoping the Oilers would break the bank & get into a bidding war to secure his services, K-Lowe did a good job & was firm on his offer, and Nedved didn't give the Oilers a chance to counter-offer after they got the offer from Phoenix? if Nedved WANTED to be here he would've AT LEAST gave the Oilers a chance to make a counter-offer, instead he just signed with Phoenix. he didn't want to be in Edmonton, he was after the cash.

Old
08-28-2004, 02:09 AM
Magnus

Its times like these you seperate the men from the boys, and the boys are all crying right now...

There are so many inconsistancies in this argument.

Quote:
There's a UFA that WANTS to play in Edmonton.
First error. If Nedved wanted to play in Edmonton, he would have signed in Edmonton. The fact that he signed somewhere else for basically the same money being offered in Edmonton says all we need to know about that.

Quote:
Way to low ball him at 8 million Lowe! If I were Nedved, I'd be pretty disgusted too.

What amazed me is you lost Nedved over 333K a year

1 million over 3 years isn't that much, and when you look at it,
Well... which one is it? Did he low ball Nedved or not? I hardly think 8 million over 3 years is a low ball offer. Then you go on to say the diffence between the two camps was so small. If the difference between what was being offered and what Nedved was requesting was so small, then it wasn't much of a low ball offer was it? But you're trying to make Lowe look bad on both sides of the same argument. Its not working, and only making you look confused.

Quote:
What also hurts is that now we'll have to give up our assets to get that number 1 center we really need.
Money is as much an asset as a player, draft pick or prospect. We were giving up assets by signing Nedved. If you meant we'll have to give up player or pick, then not neccessarily. We could just sign another free agent. Albeit the list to choose from is small.

Quote:
With no Salo (3.9 mill), Oates (1.5 million), and 500K paycut to Brad Isbister, there is no way Lowe should be crying about the budget.
Aaah.. the argument of the reality-challenged. Loss of salaries means we must have money to spend... right? Except it completely ignores the increase in salaries of a) signed players who will be getting an increase in salary next year, and b) unsigned players who will be getting an increase (sometimes quite substantial) in salary next year. Players like Smith and Conklin and Brewer and Bergeron, etc...

Quote:
Speaking of budget, it was you who overpaid Conklin by about 400K. It was you giving JDD a 650K signing bonus, paying him more than Cam Ward. If was you who extended Staios contract too quickly, overpaying him.
Yet you are complaining because we didn't overpay for Nedved.

Quote:
It was you who gave Jani Rita a 1 million dollar signing bonus, even though you didn't plan to use him, except for the odd time with Scott Fergueson as his linemate.
I don't see what Lowe could have done about that... since he is not the coach.

Quote:
What hurts more is that Sutter outsmarted you again. He fills his lack of a number 1 center priority, by trading away for a pretty low price.
Oh, that rascally Sutter. What a genius he is. Really, if you believe that, then you impress mighty easily. I really don't see how how that one works out. What exactly has Sutter done to be deemed so smart? He traded for a goaltender out of desperation and got lucky with it? Rode the hot goaltender into the playoffs? Had a team that sucked and thus got a draft pick low enough to land Phaneuf? Other than the San Jose trade, I don't see much which would lead me to believe he's outsmarted anyone. As for Langkow, yeah I like him. But how did he outsmart Lowe on that? How does Lowe even come into the equation? Phoenix wanted Gauthier. Phoenix traded for him. I think it was a good trade for Calgary, but the only person outsmarted here was the Phoenix GM.

Quote:
Calgary and Phoenix became better teams today. Columbus, Chicago, Minnesota are all going to become better.
Very arguable. Are any of these teams going to do better than last year? I have my doubts. And Phoenix... I have no idea what they're trying to do. Most of their moves don't make much sense.

Quote:
I plan to not to go to any Oilers game until you clean up his own mess and find that number on center.
Off the bandwagon you go...
I've cheered the team on through worse periods than this. Periods where Bob Beers was the leading defenceman in points. When Scott Pearson was one of our best wingers... because I love the team. Believe me, right now the Oilers are in good shape for the future.

Old
08-28-2004, 02:31 AM
Go Flames Go*

As a passonite Olier hater, I am so pleased to see Nedeved leave, and on top of that the Flames improving on a daily basis.

You guys need to get rid of that crap in a bag coach Craig Macintosh, and fire Kevin Lowe, and get you guys a freaking Sutter, I tell thoose damn Sutters are something amazing.

Closed Thread