HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

You're Pens GM Ray Shero in the Offseason...

Old
03-06-2009, 12:48 AM
mikeod1986

vCash: 500
You're Pens GM Ray Shero in the Offseason...

Your Committed Salaries Amount To 46.385 mill (nhlnumbers.com)....

Key Players You Must Consider Resigning Including Estimated Value-

Peter Sykora (2.75-3.5 mill)

Rob Scuderi (1.25-1.75 mill)

Ruslan Fedotenko (3.0-3.25 mill)

Hal Gill (3.0-3.75 mill)

Mike Zigomanis (1.0-1.5 mill)

Bill Guerin (3.75-4.5 mill)

PROJECTED LINEUP (EXCLUDING UFA'S)-

KUNITZ-CROSBY-UNFILLED

UNFILLED-MALKIN-UNFILLED

COOKE-STAAL-KENNEDY

GODARD-TALBOT-DUPUIS

GONCHAR-ORPIK

LETANG-EATON

GOLIGOSKI-UNFILLED

FLEURY

UNFILLED

Also give or take 3-4 or so roster spots to fill with Forwards/Defenseman...

Taking Into Consideration Your Current Cap Hit, fill out the rest of the team by signing any of the UFA's listed above from the Penguins, or choose any of the upcoming FA's but list the price per year you'd be signing them at and the length of the contract. You Can Also make REASONABLE trade offers using the players you already have under contract for the 2009-10 season.

Lets assume the cap will be around 56-58 million next season.

The Following Link provides a list of all upcoming UFA's.....

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/freeagents.php

Once Finished, List Your Opening Day Roster for the 2009-10 Season, While Keeping Your Salary Total Within Cap Restrictions.

After that we can all compare and comment, and this should make for an interesting thread....

Oh and LETS GO PENS!

mikeod1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 01:04 AM

KUNITZ-CROSBY-Afinogenov(2.5)

Sedin(4)-MALKIN-Sykora(3)

COOKE-STAAL-KENNEDY

GODARD-TALBOT-DUPUIS

GONCHAR-ORPIK

LETANG-EATON

GOLIGOSKI-Grant

Fleury
Curry

Not an easy job for Shero unfortunately.

66877168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 01:10 AM
Nikita Filatov*

Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66877168 View Post

COOKE-STAAL-KENNEDY

GODARD-TALBOT-DUPUIS

GONCHAR-ORPIK

LETANG-EATON

GOLIGOSKI-Grant

Fleury
Curry

You're not only getting one Sedin, and certainly not for 4 mil. Sykora will probably ask for more than 3 as well.

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 01:16 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Seriously? The guy has 41 points in his last two seasons COMBINED.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 01:26 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita Filatov View Post
You're not only getting one Sedin, and certainly not for 4 mil. Sykora will probably ask for more than 3 as well.
Yeah we won't get one of the fairies, as much as I would like Daniel and yeah we won't be getting him at that price. Sykora however, if he is getting over 3 million it won't be by much, seems all Sykora cares about nowdays is playing with Malkin. I wouldn't be shocked at 3 mill exactly, he wants to be here, other teams will maybe offer him more but this is where he wants to be.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 01:27 AM
mikeod1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
Yeah we won't get one of the fairies, as much as I would like Daniel and yeah we won't be getting him at that price. Sykora however, if he is getting over 3 million it won't be by much, seems all Sykora cares about nowdays is playing with Malkin.

I think it was the Pittsburgh Post Gazette who said he asked for 3yrs/10mill

Old
03-06-2009, 01:31 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Send a message via MSN to Morozov
"I would love to stay here," he said. "I don't think there's a better situation for me to play in than Pittsburgh. I love playing with [Malkin].

"I would do anything in my power to stay here and continue to play with Malkin or Sid or whoever's out there."

He shouldn't be breaking the bank next year http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09012/941273-61.stm

Though if MT was still around come the end of Sykys contract, I imagine this may have no longer been the case.

Last edited by Morozov: 03-06-2009 at 01:37 AM.
Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 01:40 AM
SkullSplitter

I'd focus on getting one UFA winger and one UFA number 4 d-man (if possible better than Scuderi, Gill, or Eaton), then filling the other needs from within the organization.

I'd consider some one year deals too, because I wouldn't want to be forced to making a trade when the cap inevitably drops in 2010.

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 01:42 AM
WickedWrister

Is it me or are not a lot of good young players eligible for UFA or RFA status?

WickedWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 01:47 AM
freshhhhhh84

Staal for Smyth and a prospect...Colorado is going back into rebuild mode and having Statsny and Staal as a 1-2 would be nice down the middle...

Smyth-Crosby-Kunitz
Pyatt (1.5)-Malkin-Sykora(3)
Kennedy-Talbot-Thomas
Whoever ------

Gonchar-Orpik
Letang-Scuderi
Eaton-Gogo

Fluery
Garon

freshhhhhh84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 01:49 AM
SkullSplitter

not many, no

I'm not going to get my hopes up for the Pens in the offseason. I'm just hoping for a good draft, and that one or two of Tangradi, CPZ, and Caputi can provide some much needed winger presence next year.

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 01:58 AM
mikeod1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
"I would love to stay here," he said. "I don't think there's a better situation for me to play in than Pittsburgh. I love playing with [Malkin].

"I would do anything in my power to stay here and continue to play with Malkin or Sid or whoever's out there."

He shouldn't be breaking the bank next year http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09012/941273-61.stm

Though if MT was still around come the end of Sykys contract, I imagine this may have no longer been the case.

I do think him and scuderi will be the two players we keep....I'd like to keep fedotenko, but I don't know if paying both him and sykora 3 mill each will be doable...

If we sit at lets just say 47 mill now, I think the cap is projected to rise? But for the sake of discussion i'm going to have it at 58. Curry is your backup for a cap hit around 600k. 3 mill for sykora takes you to 50, I think Scuds stays for around 1.2 mill, so lets say were at 51.8...

I think Fedotenko is a valuable asset, the line of him geno and peter gun is so fun to watch, they mesh so well...

So I say we offer 2.75, a little upgrade over his contract this year...that sits us at right around 54.55 million...

Then I would attempt to trade Pascal Dupuis and Mark Eaton on draft day or the offseason for maybe a 5th-7th round pick in attempt to cut some salary...If you shave his 1.4 mill, and eaton's 2.0 that would leave you with around 6.8 to go after a forward, and a plugger d-man. I'd probably offer someone with some moderate speed and ability to finish like Steve Sullivan or Mikael Samuelsson around 3.0 mill, Idk if that's in their range...And fill the D-Man role with someone within the organization...

Kunitz-Crosby-Sullivan/Samuelsson

Fedotenko-Malkin-Sykora

Cooke-Staal-Kennedy

Godard-Talbot-Wallace/Jeffrey

Gonchar-Orpik

Letang-Lovejoy

Scuderi-Goligoski

Fleury-Curry

Old
03-06-2009, 02:05 AM
WeSt_CoAsT_eXpReSs

imo ... the pens should try and deal Staal ... i think a good deal would be jordan staal + for nathan horton there staal would get the chance to be the number 1 center and pens get a young winger to join the mix

WeSt_CoAsT_eXpReSs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 02:19 AM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectraljulian View Post
not many, no

I'm not going to get my hopes up for the Pens in the offseason. I'm just hoping for a good draft, and that one or two of Tangradi, CPZ, and Caputi can provide some much needed winger presence next year.
2010-11 is going to be interesting, especially if the cap ceiling goes down by several million. that's the year where it will be critical for one or two of these young wingers you mentioned to be able to step into a top-six role.

this summer? yeah, i don't exactly see them making a play for gaborik. the cap may also force them to finally stick staal on the wing and keep him there -- not that half-hearted try from the beginning of this season.

shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 02:22 AM
Trottier
Very Random

The reality - as unsexy an answer as this may be - is that Shero will not make decisions on his roster for next season until he sees how his team - and individuals - performs now through their last game of the year, whenever that may be.

Nor should he.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 02:33 AM
66-29-33

Keep Zigy....800K for 2 more years, he's a clutch faceoff man.

If there is someone willing to get paid 3M and can score 20+ goals a year, while having grit, and playing defense i'll take that over Sykora.

Find Crosby a winger....maybe Kovalev? or perhaps try and draft one by trading down or up and wait for him to be an NHL player, in the meantime Crosby will get UFA's.

Get a defenseman who can play defense, and pass. Scoring i don't care about, we need a defensive defenseman that can hit.

If we have room left, re up Sykora for 2 years at 2.5M if he will take the same pay he has now. Maybe next season can look like this.

Kunitz-Crosby-Kovalev?
Caputi-Malkin-UFA or Sykora
Cooke-Staal-TK
Talbot-Ziggy-Godard
Biz

Gonchar-Orpik
Letang-Gogo
Lovejoy-UFA

Fleury
Curry

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 02:36 AM
jdpitt05

Everything is going to hinge on if they decide Staal can play top 6 wing or not. With his and Malkin's salaries kicking in we won't be able to pay a third line center that much. If they don't think he can, he'd have to be traded. I personally don't think Shero trades him. Also alot will depend on if any of CPZ, Caputi, Tangradi are ready for the nhl next year.

Assuming (1) they move Staal to wing (2) no prospects are ready for top 6 (3) Sykora and Kovalev dont ask for 4+ million.

Kunitz-Crosby-Kovalev
Staal-Malkin-Sykora
Cooke-Talbot-Kennedy
Jeffrey-Zigomanis-Godard

Gonchar-Orpik
Letang-Eaton
Goligoski-Lovejoy

Fleury
Curry

jdpitt05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 03:23 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1006
Quote:

COOKE-STAAL-KENNEDY

GODARD-TALBOT-DUPUIS

GONCHAR-ORPIK

LETANG-EATON

GOLIGOSKI-Grant

Fleury
Curry

Don't know what is funnier.. the fact you spit up the twins or that you think you'd get one for 4 mill

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 03:27 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

I'm wondering if Shero is going to get canned before this happens.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 03:29 AM
SomeDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
I'm wondering if Shero is going to get canned before this happens.
For what, getting the team to the Finals a few years before they were expected to reach that level or for locking up the core players for the foreseeable future?

SomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 03:42 AM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

i suppose shero could always pray for divine intervention and go this route...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr
“I was thinking about it and if Mario would call me and say, ‘I’d like you to play for our team,’ I would think about it a lot,” Jagr said in a telephone interview from Moscow where the Kontinental League will hold its inaugural All-Star Game outdoors at Red Square Saturday. “I would play for the minimum salary. I would play for $350,000 just for him because I owe him my hockey life. I want to pay him back because he has made me what I am…besides my parents.”
of course the NHLPA would probably frown on that "minimum salary" part. so let's just say below market value.

2009-10 cap ~$57,000,000

Sidney Crosby $8,700,000
Evgeni Malkin $8,700,000
Jordan Staal $4,000,000
Chris Kunitz $3,725,000
Jaromir Jagr $3,000,000
Petr Sykora $2,750,000
Pascal Dupuis $1,400,000
Matt Cooke $1,200,000
Max Talbot $1,050,000
Eric Godard $750,000
Tyler Kennedy $725,000
Mike Zigomanis $700,000
Paul Bissonnette $500,000

Sergei Gonchar $5,000,000
Brooks Orpik $3,750,000
Mark Eaton $2,000,000
Alex Goligoski $950,000
Ben Lovejoy $850,000
Kris Letang $835,000
Rob Scuderi $800,000

M.A. Fleury $5,000,000
John Curry $550,000

TOTAL $56,935,000

------------------------------------------

kunitz-crosby-jagr
staal-malkin-sykora
cooke-talbot-kennedy
dupuis-zigomanis-godard
bissonnette

orpik-gonchar
letang-eaton
scuderi-goligoski
lovejoy

fleury
curry

------------------------------------------

total pipe dream, of course.

shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 04:04 AM
PensFan68

I would try to resign Sykora for near 3 mil and Scuderi near 2mil . Both of them I'd try to lock up for 3-4 years.

Try to move Talbot for a pick and sign Zigomanis for a 2 year deal to be the 4th line C and crucial faceoff man for near 1 mil. Talbot is a better energy player, but I've been saying for the past couple years we need a faceoff man. We should keep the one we got our hands on.

Caputi should get a long look in camp. Hopefully he's ready by the start of next season and he would be one for the top 6.

Try to move Dupuis and replace him with Wallace or Jeffrey.

As for the other top 6, I highly doubt we bring Guerin back. If he meshes well and wants to come back, I think he'd have to sign for 2 mil or less on a one year deal and I don't know if he'd be willing to do that or not.

Try to move Eaton for a pick. Don't know who the UFA's are, but I'd look for a physical stay at home d-man for around the 2 mil. that getting rid of Eaton gives us. Vaananen would be a nice addition. We'd have Gonchar, Letang, Goligoski, Orpik, Scuderi, and Vaananen (or whoever else fits the mold). Lovejoy as the 7th.

EDIT>> If we can't get a UFA physical d-man for near 2 mil., maybe try to package Eaton and Dupuis (and a pick if needed) for one. What about Tollefsen from Columbus? Any chance they move him? They have 5 d-men under contract for next season already. What would it take to get him? He's a physical force and a RFA, should get him signed for under 2.

Let Curry be the backup.

Those moves, without Guerin, put us at about 51-52 mil. That leaves us somewhere around 5 mil to find another top 6 player-once again, if we don't resign Guerin.

In my own little fantasy world, Gaborik would sign here and accept a 2 year 10 mil deal and try to stay healthy for that period so he can get a big payday afterwards. It would be a risk for us, and he will definately be offered more elsewhere, but it's a risk I'd be very willing to take.

Kunitz-Crosby-Gaborik
Caputi-Malkin-Sykora
Cooke-Staal-Kennedy
Godard-Zigomanis-Jeffrey

Gonchar-Orpik
Letang-Scuderi
Goligoski-Vaananen/OKT

Fleury
Curry

Last edited by PensFan68: 03-06-2009 at 04:14 AM.
PensFan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 07:27 AM
Alex28*

pipe dream/

Staal, Letang, Caputi, 1st, 2nd '10 for Kovalchuk

Pick for Ponikarovsky

Kovalchuk Malkin Sykora (125-135 goals on the season)
Kunitz Crosby Ponikarovsky (85-95 goals on the season)
Fedotenko Talbot Kennedy (everyone else on the team ~90 goals on the season, Fedotenko + Cooke for depth)
Cooke Zigomanis Godard/Thomas/Wallace/whatever

Gonchar Orpik
Goligoski Scuderi
Grant Gill

Fleury
.500 backup

/pipe dream

Very close to the cap, maybe half a million over, could be shaved off somewhere.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 07:38 AM
Illinest

Jagr wants to play for league minumum so pencil him in on the first line, then I hear that Lemieux is in the best shape of his life and he owns the team so he can play for league minimum as well so....
Lemieux/Crosby/Jagr
Kunitz/Malkin/Sykora

Illinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita Filatov View Post
With the cap staying put or going down, do you think players like Sedin will get the outrageous raises in pay when they hit ufa? You're probably right, but I don't think he's worth more than 4 or 4.5 tops.

66877168 is offline   Reply With Quote