HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

WHAT IF the Ducks took 1/2 Federov's Salary in a trade???

Closed Thread

Old
08-27-2004, 10:44 PM
Dr_Gonz0

vCash: 500
WHAT IF the Ducks took 1/2 Federov's Salary in a trade???

From http://www.spectorshockey.net/

DUCKS TRYING TO DUMP FEDOROV?

DETROIT NEWS: Ted Kulfan recently reported of a rumour flying around that the Anaheim Mighty Ducks are shopping forward Sergei Fedorov in hopes of dumping his contract, which has three years and approximately $25 million remaining on it. It's that contract, however, that'll keep him in Anaheim for the foreseeable future.

Spector's Note: As Kulfan pointed out, that hefty contract isn't going to attract interest from anyone around the league right now or when a new CBA goes into effect, not unless the Ducks agree to absorb at least half of it.

Federov for 12.5 million over 3 years, where do i sign up?!??! I am curious what other Oiler fans think it would take to land him, since it seems the Ducks are just trying to unload his contract, and perhaps may eat 1/2( ) of it.

Thoughts?

Old
08-27-2004, 11:31 PM
SerbianEagle

Only if he ditched the option by which he can void the contract after this season. As for what it would take, we would probably have to part with Brewer because he is the best bargaining chip we have. Probably something else would have to be thrown in to reward the ducks for taking on some of the contract.

Old
08-27-2004, 11:38 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle
Only if he ditched the option by which he can void the contract after this season. As for what it would take, we would probably have to part with Brewer because he is the best bargaining chip we have. Probably something else would have to be thrown in to reward the ducks for taking on some of the contract.
TO be honest, I doubt we'd even have to deal Brewer to land him, even at half his salary. I bet something closer to Stoll and Rita, or similar would be good enough. I could be wrong, and I'm sure many will disagree with me, but the Ducks will not get a big return for Federov IMO.

Old
08-27-2004, 11:45 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I would have to agree with you Jamie - if they want to move him they're REALLY going to want to move him because they'll have to eat ALOT of the contract AND not expect a very good return.

I'd be absolutely shocked if some team gave them a 25 year old Dman that is in the Brewer"ish" class of talent.

08-28-2004, 02:31 AM
Dr_Gonz0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
TO be honest, I doubt we'd even have to deal Brewer to land him, even at half his salary. I bet something closer to Stoll and Rita, or similar would be good enough. I could be wrong, and I'm sure many will disagree with me, but the Ducks will not get a big return for Federov IMO.
Exactly, they will not garner a big return on trading him, other than getting his huge contract off the books, and with the chance of the him not resigning with the last 2 years being his option, he will garner even less. Rita + Horcofff, something along those lines, its a mere salary dump for the Ducks.

Old
08-28-2004, 02:42 AM
Asiaoil

OK Im doing this from memory but since Lowe took over we appear to have:

- traded Doug Weight
- traded Mike Comrie
- let Todd Marchant go UFA
- traded Rem Murray
- traded Chad Kilger

- added Dopita
- added Oates
- added Reasoner (but waived him)
- added Horcoff
- added Stoll
- added Nedved for 20 games (salary paid)

All of these guys have one thing in common - they're cheap - and you think we are getting Federov? Let's get real.

Old
08-28-2004, 03:22 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

The only way it might work salary wise is if we send Smith to the Ducks along with some picks/prospects for Federov + some salary paid.

Something like

Smith + 2nd rounder for Fedorov + X dollars paid

It might cost more or it might cost less, I dunno. I'm not an expert in determining exact trade values.

Anaheim would lose some salary depending on how much Smith signs for and Edmonton would gain the room to take on Federov's contract, *barely*. This is an extreme deal, make no mistake about it; it'd take a push of monumental proportions for this to happen. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Closed Thread