HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where's the love?

Old
03-03-2009, 09:17 PM
mikedifr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Briere was a good signing. Holmer couldnt rely on Richards and Carter breaking out. And having Briere probably took pressure off them that they felt in 06-07
If you were responding to my post, I agree with you....I was refering to the Jones debacle of a contract.

If you were not responding to me, I still agree with you

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 09:32 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
First of all, I am not constantly negative....I make negative comments about Stevens, and a few here and there about Jones. Thats it. I am hardly on here these days and most of the time I am on here defending people....Briere, Hartnell, Knuble, Kukkonen, etc. And you will rarely see me in the GDT's cause I watch the game with my father or my son.

I answered your question, "Why the negativity?" and you didnt like the answer.

Don't ask for something unless you are prepared to actually discuss it.

And with that said, your key word in your post was "solid" Yes, we have a solid team. A solid team, as opposed to a great team, implies that there are issues that can and should be addressed, doesnt it??

Well, some of us like discussing those rather than pretending everything is perfect. Sorry if we are realistic.
I hope you enjoyed todays game. We beat the best team in the east...again...without a system (as you say). Fancy that!

I'm prepared to discuss anything you like, it's a discussion board...not a hate forum.

No team will ever be perfect, none.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 09:34 PM
Get Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Carter View Post
Good God, Jones gets wayyyyy to much flack. The dude made serious strides last year especially in the playoffs. He has been steady after struggling at first coming back from an injury this year.

Last year Jones had the same amount of points as Rob Blake, Filip Kuba. He had more points than Ruslan Salei, Tom Poti, Kim Johnsson, Toni Lydman, and Derek Morris. What are their cap hits?

Yes, Jones is paired with Andrew Alberts at times, but he averages 20 minutes a game! Please stop calling him a third pair defenseman. He plays the PP and PK and he steps up when others get injured.

But I guess we can blame the minutes he gets on our coach who knows nothing yet has 33 wins and counting.
34 wins and counting.

Randy Jones +3 tonight. Set up the 4th PP goal with a great keep to Knuble.

Get Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 09:36 PM
Opus

Quote:
34 wins and counting.

MSE posted this in the GDT...

Quote:
W-L-OTL record against the six teams currently in first place: 6-2-5. (65.4%).
Pretty impressive if you ask me.

Old
03-03-2009, 09:38 PM
Get Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
MSE posted this in the GDT...

Pretty impressive if you ask me.
Not too shabby.

Old
03-03-2009, 09:52 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
If you were responding to my post, I agree with you....I was refering to the Jones debacle of a contract.

If you were not responding to me, I still agree with you
I was referring to an earlier post about briere

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 09:56 PM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Briere was a good signing. Holmer couldnt rely on Richards and Carter breaking out. And having Briere probably took pressure off them that they felt in 06-07
Agreed.

If you read, I said...contract length.

Old
03-04-2009, 07:49 AM
Stonehands77

Quote:
34 wins and counting.

And made at least 2 or 3 bad plays, one of which Nitty bailed him out on with a brilliant save on Krejci (8:06 left in the 1st). That's my real problem with Jones. He makes some nice plays like the one on that PP goal, but also makes plays like that one in the first where he couldn't decide where to go with the puck, froze up, and gave it away to the other team for a great scoring chance. Not to mention his tendency to make bad passes up the middle from deep in his own zone.

Now, if he was making $1-1.5 million per, it wouldn't be so bad. But his $2.75 million, for someone who is that horribly inconsistent, just doesn't work for me.

It was a fun game to watch last night, especially since there are plenty of Bruins fans up here who still haven't gotten over the Jones hit on Bergeron.

Stonehands77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 07:56 AM
Get Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands77 View Post
And made at least 2 or 3 bad plays, one of which Nitty bailed him out on with a brilliant save on Krejci (8:06 left in the 1st). That's my real problem with Jones. He makes some nice plays like the one on that PP goal, but also makes plays like that one in the first where he couldn't decide where to go with the puck, froze up, and gave it away to the other team for a great scoring chance. Not to mention his tendency to make bad passes up the middle from deep in his own zone.

Now, if he was making $1-1.5 million per, it wouldn't be so bad. But his $2.75 million, for someone who is that horribly inconsistent, just doesn't work for me.

It was a fun game to watch last night, especially since there are plenty of Bruins fans up here who still haven't gotten over the Jones hit on Bergeron.
He wasn't the only one to make a bad play or two and yet he seems like he is the only one who gets ragged on for it. Look at the comparables around the league. His contract is market value. If you want to argue that all those guys are overpaid, that is another story.

Old
03-04-2009, 08:12 AM
Opus

Quote:
He wasn't the only one to make a bad play or two and yet he seems like he is the only one who gets ragged on for it. Look at the comparables around the league. His contract is market value. If you want to argue that all those guys are overpaid, that is another story.
Don't worry about it man,

If it's not proof enough that people insist on negativity by coming into a thread and polluting it with negativity, when it's pretty clear it was meant for the opposite...then I don't what is.

I made it pretty obvious what I wanted to this thread to be about, and the board negative nancies chose to fill another thread with the same old.

To use mikedfr as an example, how do we beat a team (not the first time) that's best in the East, when we have no system and we so many roster blunders???

Thanks for the support GC, nice to see you in here!

Let's Go Flyers!!!

Old
03-04-2009, 09:01 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
I hope you enjoyed todays game. We beat the best team in the east...again...without a system (as you say). Fancy that!

I'm prepared to discuss anything you like, it's a discussion board...not a hate forum.

No team will ever be perfect, none.
I didnt see the game...but did you happen to notice the Bruins have been pretty bad the past couple of weeks??? Not exactly catching them at their peak.

And they dominated us in Philly....I was at the game. Dont let the 3-2 score of that game fool you.

I never said we werent capable of beating those team.....its the regular season, very rarely will a series be swept.

And for the record, I think NJ is the best team in the east, not Boston, regardless of the standings.

If you want to discuss, then discuss....dont start calling people delusional or bringing stupid ****ing video games into the discussion and juvenile **** like that.

Old
03-04-2009, 09:04 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Nope....I have ragged on Carle continuously who makes some of the same supid decisions Jones makes....I ragged on Alberts....I have ragged on Coburn a couple times when he make several blunders.

The only people I really never ragged on were Timonen and Vaananen.

It just so happens that Jones makes many more of the blunders than the rest of the team.

Old
03-04-2009, 09:07 AM
Opus

Quote:
I didnt see the game...but did you happen to notice the Bruins have been pretty bad the past couple of weeks??? Not exactly catching them at their peak.

And they dominated us in Philly....I was at the game. Dont let the 3-2 score of that game fool you.

I never said we werent capable of beating those team.....its the regular season, very rarely will a series be swept.

And for the record, I think NJ is the best team in the east, not Boston, regardless of the standings.

If you want to discuss, then discuss....dont start calling people delusional or bringing stupid ****ing video games into the discussion and juvenile **** like that.
I love how you make excuses for other teams, but none for our own. Beautiful mikey, clever.

For the 5th time, MSE posted our record vs. divisional leaders...and it's pretty impressive.

The fact you want to trade our junk (as you suggest they are), for other teams big named players...makes me think you're stuck in NHL09 mode. You whine that Jones sucks and you want him gone...if he sucks so bad, who in their right mind would take him???

You also suggest you're capable of coaching or running an NHL team...did you not? (perhaps I read that wrong)

Old
03-04-2009, 09:22 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:

Quote:
Nope....I have ragged on Carle continuously who makes some of the same supid decisions Jones makes....I ragged on Alberts....I have ragged on Coburn a couple times when he make several blunders.

The only people I really never ragged on were Timonen and Vaananen.

It just so happens that Jones makes many more of the blunders than the rest of the team.
I think Boston is the better team, they are just in a rut right now. Also, I hate Jones. He get paid a huge amount to make lots of blunders. I'd take Vaananen over him any day.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:27 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
I love how you make excuses for other teams, but none for our own. Beautiful mikey, clever.

For the 5th time, MSE posted our record vs. divisional leaders...and it's pretty impressive.

The fact you want to trade our junk (as you suggest they are), for other teams big named players...makes me think you're stuck in NHL09 mode. You whine that Jones sucks and you want him gone...if he sucks so bad, who in their right mind would take him???

You also suggest you're capable of coaching or running an NHL team...did you not? (perhaps I read that wrong)
Please tell me where I proposed trading junk for other team's big named players???? Find it for me....I guarantee you cant. You know why???? Cause I didnt do it. I talked about the rumors that have been out there for a month. Do you read any sites other than this one???? I NEVER post trade rumors and other than 1 or 2 occasions I can think of in the past 5 years NEVER post a trade proposal. I am sure many on here will back me up on that.

Please also tell me when in the last several days I whined that Jones sucked???? You wont find that either.....I said his contract sucks. I SPECIFICALLY said I am happy with his play most of this year.

Do you read the posts you respond to?????

I am not making excuses for anything....just stating an absolute fact (Boston is struggling at the moment) and said I didnt see the game. The fact that they played well against Boston in this one game doesnt make me thing all is perfect and there arent things I want to change about the team. That is what was implied in your post.

Yippy!!! We beat the ****ing Boston Bruins on one day in the 82 game, 7 month regular season....YIPPY ****ING YIPPY We have a good record against the division leader. YIPPY YIPPY YIPPY!! We are now going to win the cup.

This isnt the case obviously, but what if I did some research and told you that with each division leader we beat, we beat them in the middle of a 7 game losing streak??? Would you still think that was something special???

Things are very rarely black and white.

Same with my discussions on the Eagles.....As long as we make the playoffs, I can give two flying ****s what happens in the regular season. I have one goal and one goal only and until it happens, I will be disappointed at the end of the season.

If we beat the Sharks and Red Wings in the regular season I still would favor them in a best of 7 series.

Playoffs does NOT = regular season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
I think Boston is the better team, they are just in a rut right now. Also, I hate Jones. He get paid a huge amount to make lots of blunders. I'd take Vaananen over him any day.
Exactly my point....but we are wrong.

All is perfect in Flyer Land

Old
03-06-2009, 07:57 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Hehehe

We have a new entry in the how-do-the-systemless-Flyers-ever-beat-anyone list of rationales:

"Not exactly catching them at their peak"

We add that to:

"Little Sisters of the Poor"

and

"Not exactly world beaters"

GOOD TIME TIME - KAMPAI TIME!!!!

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 08:00 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
you're stuck in NHL09 mode. You whine that Jones sucks and you want him gone...if he sucks so bad, who in their right mind would take him???
So there's not just Negative Nancies, there are also Nintendo Nancies?

LOL

You're not gonna get an answer to that question, Opus: "who in their right mind would take him?" No one is going to answer that.

Old
03-06-2009, 08:02 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Back to the Loving: I think Briere is done fo the season and that should allow the fellas to get back down to business, focus, post-trades and yoyo injuries. Now it's just time to get it done.

Old
03-06-2009, 08:52 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
So there's not just Negative Nancies, there are also Nintendo Nancies?

LOL

You're not gonna get an answer to that question, Opus: "who in their right mind would take him?" No one is going to answer that.
Been answered 1000 times.....I forgot you cant read:

The waiver wire accepts anyone...

Last edited by mikedifr: 03-06-2009 at 09:02 AM.
Old
03-06-2009, 08:57 AM
BringBackStevens

I tend to stay more positive, but sadly the negativity is well deserved. Of course you have to take it in context, its not like people are equating us to the Thrashers organization, but where it stands now the team is not heading in the right direction IMO. A year ago we looked like we were going the right way, but here we are and i think our team has taken a step back. Holmgren hasn't addressed the issues this team really needs to address. Easier said than done and hopefully this summer he has some tricks up his sleeves, but i have been a bit disappointed with what has happened this season from a roster standpoint

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 09:01 AM
mikedifr

Very nice post.

Watch out for the positive police though

Old
03-06-2009, 09:08 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBanger View Post
We have on paper superior team to devils in every way but goalie.
Pure nonsense.

Old
03-06-2009, 09:23 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBanger
We have on paper superior team to devils in every way but goalie.
Unfortunately I have to agree on this one.....I think our forwards are either even or they have a slight, but not substantial advantage there. Goalie there is no question.

Defense however, I think we are MUCH more talented than they are 1-6.....We know why there is a difference there

Old
03-06-2009, 09:37 AM
BringBackStevens

The Devils have surprised me in their talent level t his season, and i don't think the talent gap between us and them is as large as i once did, but its quite clear the gap in coaching and goal tending is astronomical. That is a true cup calibre team right there. Sadly, we are not

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 09:43 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
The Devils have surprised me in their talent level t his season, and i don't think the talent gap between us and them is as large as i once did, but its quite clear the gap in coaching and goal tending is astronomical. That is a true cup calibre team right there. Sadly, we are not
The gap in goaltending with Broduer, yes.....But they had frigin Scott Clemmenson for most of the season and still are at the top.

Coaching is the BIG difference between us and them.