HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[TOR/TB] Petiot for Kolzig, Rogers, Heward, 4th

Old
03-05-2009, 03:24 PM
AlMo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Rogers is not a decent prospect at all. People see 1st round and act like he isn't a huge bust. When he plays which isn't often considering he is made out of glass he is one of the worst players in the AHL. He is an RFA after this year and the empty space on the 50 man roster has more value.

You bought a 4th for 500k.
I agree. Rogers is horrible. The guy has difficulty moving the puck so he will never be remotely close to an NHLer. He has zero offensive talent and his defense is nothing to write home about. I have not seen him recently but the times I have seen he has been less than impressive, even when he was drafted in the first round, I scratched my head. He'll make a decent 7th dman for the Marlies for the remainder of the year and he's like gone after that.

I agree we just bought a 4th round pick. The Leafs have money to burn so why not.

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 03:29 PM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossaHavlatGiguere View Post
Thats pretty much somes it up. My question is what is Toronto doing with Kolzig (Isn't he out for the remainder of the season), Joseph and Gerber on the same team. Why not give Pogge the rest of season to show what he can do. Maybe they are have a sorts of try out for a back up or experienced netminder for next year if Toskala is shopped.
Kolzig is done for the season and so is his contract so I don't know whats so confusing about Ollie. Joseph can't handle the workload. Sure he would help the Leafs tank but Cujo is not prepared to take on the remaining 20 games. Gerber is brought in to play out the season. Pogge's place is with the Marlies. I would have liked to see Pogge get the final 20 games to see if he can handle the everyday grind of the NHL but Burke probably feels it's better for him to be involved in more meaningful games with the Marlies and Burke also didn't want to screw the Marlies out of their starter either.

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Shootmaster_44

Wow if only DL could've gotten the same amount of talent for Petiot last year.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ducksforcup

vCash: 50
We may be seeing more trades like this in the future...man, you have to wonder how these players feel about this.

Ducksforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 03:42 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksforcup View Post
We may be seeing more trades like this in the future...man, you have to wonder how these players feel about this.
I wouldn't think they care too much. They still collect their paychecks and the only one who is playing is Petiot. I would imagine the Leafs might tell Kolzig and Heward just to stay away and start early retirement while collecting their paycheck.

It's not horrible to have someone still paying you to retire to your millions at age 40.

X0X0A0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 08:23 AM
LePoche69

Am I the only one thinking that trade maight be to be very nice to a team that may trade you...Lecavalier later?

As a Hab fan, I hope not, buit it's the strange feeling I have.

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 09:35 AM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bauer View Post
So there is a certain excitement level you can see from your keyboard based on draft pick spot and reaction?

I see a whole bunch of people acting like Burke bought a 4th rounder. No more, no less.

What's the HF symbol for 2nd round reaction? Is it this:

I guess a 1st round celebration is: ? Or maybe it's:

I'm so confused, someone send me an emoticon list for celebrating adding a draft pick so we're all clear and avoid this confusion at the draft when teams are trading 's for a and .

There's enough on here that are praising Burke for the deal and are overly excited to have a 4th rounder and I wasn't just talking about this site. Leaf fans in general seem to think Burke is a genius which is far from the truth. He's an average GM at best. As for the rest of your rambling are you obviously think I based my post on someone posting a smilie. That's a pretty dumb conclusion to jump to.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 09:50 AM
MLSE

Thank you MLSE for taking on the money for a pick, your showing us you care.

MLSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:11 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsOfCement View Post
I read Article 49 of the CBA last night, and I think it's pretty clear that TB *does* stand to gain revenue-sharing $ by dumping salary in this trade.

With the NHL wading into the morass of requiring "value" in a trade, they set the stage for making themselves look foolish - like they do now, having approved this trade.

Burke said last night that they had pre-cleared this transaction with the NHL, but had to wait to comment until it cleared the queue. I would love to have heard Bettman's language when he realized they would have to approve this!

So the value of this transaction to TB is pretty evident. To me, the interesting angle is the value to Toronto. As a previous poster pointed out, its quite possible that Tampa agreed to provide Toronto with some other "consideration" down the road. I won't speculate on what form that could take, but as a Leaf fan, I know what I'm hoping it is!
There are two forms of revenue sharing:

a) "Standard" revenue sharing that you commonly see published that such-and-such team got $12m in revenue sharing. A trade like this has zero impact on that revenue sharing eligibility because it has nothing to do with team payroll.

b) "Escrow" revenue sharing, which only occurs when a player escrow refund is triggered. That will happen this season (the only other season it's happened before is 06-07). When this happens, all teams under the cap midpoint ($48.7m) receive escrow refunds equal to the difference, subject to availability of escrow funds to distribute.

Tampa could gain (b) revenue sharing if their team cap number ends up under $48.7m. The most escrow revenue sharing Tampa could gain is equal to the amount of $ their payroll was reduced by. Meaning, at most Tampa gained about $400k in escrow revenue sharing from this deal ($2.5m Kolzig - $500k replacement prorated by 21%).

If Tampa's cap finishes at or above $48.7m then they won't have gained any additional revenue sharing $'s from this trade.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Kessel>Seguin +
Not Even A Big Fan!!

Agreed, get prospects any way necessary.

4th round pick may not seem like much, but picking up 500 000 for the leafs is nothing. They will make it back on beer sales tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSE View Post
Thank you MLSE for taking on the money for a pick, your showing us you care.

Kessel>Seguin + is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 10:54 PM
smokes lets go

so this is the new way large market teams take advantage of struggling franchises

smokes lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 11:18 PM
Antropovsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tavares View Post
so this is the new way large market teams take advantage of struggling franchises
More like how a large market team takes advantage of a poorly managed struggling franchise. Tampa dug their own grave on July 1st, when they decided that they wanted to sign every mediocre player that was available.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote