HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

July 1 2009 : Bob can't let us down this time

Old
03-05-2009, 10:46 PM
SooperSingh

vCash: 500
try to keep it one thread guys, there are atleast three threads on the first page about the same thing.

SooperSingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 10:48 PM
CPrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariolemieux66 View Post
There is talk here in Vancouver that they will both get at least 5 mil a season.
That is minimum 10 million for a #2 line.
I think they're worth more than 5m each a year. These guys have been consistent and great for Vancouver after being said they would never be anything more then second liners.
Calling these guys second liners is a complete joke.

Last edited by CPrice: 03-05-2009 at 11:18 PM.
CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 10:57 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Unless an UFA veteran is brought in with tons of experience, I don't see any of the player on the current roster that can fill in the leadership void left by Koivu should he leave this summer.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:12 PM
Globalz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariolemieux66 View Post
There is talk here in Vancouver that they will both get at least 5 mil a season.
That is minimum 10 million for a #2 line.
second liners? gimme a break they are in the top 50 scorers since the lockout and there is 90 first line players in the league so how about just admitting you know nothing about the Sedins.

Globalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:19 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
We have a lot of roster spots to fill and need to really get some quality to play with those under contract right now.

There will be 12.5 + million left with Kovalev/Lang/Dandenault/Bouillon/Cullimore/Salmelainen off the books.

Sign the Sedins, seriously.

Koivu and Tanguay can be had for a hometown discount, there is no need to keep their salary at par.

RFA's Plekanec, Latendresse and Higgins do not deserve high raises.

Schneider could be kept for cheaper, and we promote kids from Hamilton and/or see Emelin come over on D.

Komisarek doesn't deserve a dollar over 4 million per.

Kids like MaxPac and D'Ago have earned a spot, Maxwell is close so there are cheap alternatives as well.

With Lappy playing how he has it look like Chipchura is out of here, he is now trade bait and quite tradeable at the draft more than likely to Edmonton or Calgary, seems to be their type of player.

I think the thing I hate the most Metropolit is on the books one more year for a million and that is Kostopolous's money...and he will get higher offers at 1.5-2.0 on the open market.

We need to make a splash and the Sedins are young, and they come together.

Vinnie is nice, but I hate the price to get him and the contract length and dollars.

If we have learned anything from the deadline is that high salaries are not wanted by teams, so this year to be a UFA maybe a bad one and draft picks and prospects are a high commodity and no one wants to part with them.

So to me we have all three, good prospects/young players, picks and a lot of cap space to get players.
I made this post in the Elliot Friedman thread, but I'd rather get Vinny and promote Pacioretty to a top 6 position (~$8.25M for both) than commit $12M in salary to the twins.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:24 PM
CPrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
I made this post in the Elliot Friedman thread, but I'd rather get Vinny and promote Pacioretty to a top 6 position (~$8.25M for both) than commit $12M in salary to the twins.
I really don't think Vinny is coming here, if he did what would the lineup look like?

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 08:06 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post
Some of you actually believe we will land Bouwmeester?

You guys find out where Ribs gets his stuff from or what?

My bet is again, no UFAs will come here.
I think that's a safe bet - no reason to think we'll have a chance at any top tier UFAs.

If we can get Beauchemin, I'll be happy.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 09:03 AM
JohnnyB11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Jokinen already with 2 goals in the first... the line he forms with Cammaleri and Ignla looks scary!

And all it would have cost is something like Higgins-Chipchura/D'agostini and a first...
Pure speculation that Higgins, Dago and a 1st would have done it. And even if it had, it doesn't mean that Jokinen would be a good fit in Montreal.

Armchair GMs, a dime a dozen - especially in Montreal.

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 09:12 AM
marioroberge

No way Tanguay signs for less than 5. Look at players below him in terms or stats (Gomez, Drury, etc.) and see what they got on the open market. One guy in here wrote he shouldn`t be getting more than 3.5 million.

marioroberge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 09:25 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT27 View Post
I'm a habs fan all the way.... I've never stopped believing, but I'm so discouraged by everything that has happened lately, by Bob DOING NOTHING when almost al the other teams in the east moved, with the way the team is playing, with the media in Montreal, etc.... that I wont be surprised if Bob let's us down once again...
Hopefully, I will be proven wrong...

Until then, I guess we'll just have to drink to forget the deception of Bob's lack of mouvement!!
Huh?

He made as many moves as any team in the East. What we need is to get our players healthy and/or productive...Price Komi Higgins Tanguay A.Kost lats Gorges. Our problem is NOT who we got or didn't get it's having key guys out and key guys playing terrible.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Unless an UFA veteran is brought in with tons of experience, I don't see any of the player on the current roster that can fill in the leadership void left by Koivu should he leave this summer.
Exagerrating a little?

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 09:30 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedobear View Post
No way Tanguay signs for less than 5. Look at players below him in terms or stats (Gomez, Drury, etc.) and see what they got on the open market. One guy in here wrote he shouldn`t be getting more than 3.5 million.
I don't see Tanguay getting 5 million.

He doesn't have the pedigree of Gomez and Drury,key players on Stanley Cup winners. Plus the market will be much tougher on UFA's with the economy, lots of smaller markets will have lower payrolls than 2 years ago. There are also a lot of big traditional buyers that have no cap room to spend(Calgary NYR Boston Washington Detroit Phillie etc).

Depending on how he plays from here on in, I think you'll see Tanguay resign with us for 2 years at 9 mil, or maybe get 4.3-4.5 on a 3-4 year deal on the UFA market.

I'm not sold on him being a long term part of the future, but if we sign him now relatively cheap, we can trade him once his value goes up, we have a lot of good young wingers on the way and will need a #1 center.

Quote:
Jokinen already with 2 goals in the first... the line he forms with Cammaleri and Ignla looks scary!

And all it would have cost is something like Higgins-Chipchura/D'agostini and a first...

One of the reasons the Habs were not willing to pay for Jokinen is that he is not good with young players, not a good thing given our situation.

His test in Calgary will only begin once the playoffs start.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 03-06-2009 at 10:19 AM.
Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 09:43 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I don't think either... I think Gainey will be able to lock both Koivu and Tanguay for 2 or 3 years each to a combine number per year between 8 and 9 millions...

Enough to sign a great winger (like Hossa, even if I doubt he leaves Detroit or Gaborik) or make room for the inevitable Lecavalier rumors...

I highly doubt Kovalev will re-sign... even if he has wonderfull playoffs (alright, he might come back if he wins the Conn Smyth... but I highly doubt the habs will win it all with Carbonneau as a coach)

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 10:08 AM
DeVries*

The important thing is that the organization has the opportunity of changing the face of this team. Letting go and adding core players with different styles should be their philosophy with all these UFAs.

To many speedy and skilfully players, signed and drafted in the past and not enough diversity, IMO.

By the way, Timmins should take a look at Zach Kassian and stop taking the best player available to target specific needs; Hamilton and Montreal are stacked with BPA and need physical and mean guys.

DeVries* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 10:25 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viau View Post
The important thing is that the organization has the opportunity of changing the face of this team. Letting go and adding core players with different styles should be their philosophy with all these UFAs.

To many speedy and skilfully players, signed and drafted in the past and not enough diversity, IMO.

By the way, Timmins should take a look at Zach Kassian and stop taking the best player available to target specific needs; Hamilton and Montreal are stacked with BPA and need physical and mean guys.
Yeah, great idea... let's get more Chipchuras, Bilodeaus, Stevensons in the 1st and 2nd rounds... that helped us a lot in the 90s...

Old
03-06-2009, 10:28 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viau View Post

That's the mentality that led to the first round drafting of guys like Turner Stevenson, Terry Ryan, Matt Higgins and Jason Ward in the 90's.

This is not the NFL, where draftees are 23-24 years old and in their prime or close to it. Most NHL picks take at least 3-4 years to pan out. Drafting to fit an immediate need will usually only pay off if you have a top 5 pick. Even then, it's still probably not the best choice to make.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 10:29 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Yeah, great idea... let's get more Chipchuras, Bilodeaus, Stevensons in the 1st and 2nd rounds... that helped us a lot in the 90s...
Let's not draft:

Carter, or Getzlaf, or Richards, or Lucic, when we had the opportunity...

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 10:36 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Let's not draft:

I take Timmins batting average over any other head of scout development in the NHL...

Lucic... 29 other teams past on him (some twice), Carter, Richards and Getzlaf weren't as high as Kostistyn...

And the point being is that you chose the BPA, period.

Scouting isn't an exact science, but what is surely stupid is drafting the western beef, just for the sake of it...

Old
03-06-2009, 10:37 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Let's not draft:

If the Habs were drafting for a big and physical forward in 2003, odds are they would have picked Hugh Jessiman. Carter's big, but didn't have the physicality that Jessiman was supposed to have. That would have been so much better than Kostitsyn.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 10:50 AM
FinnHab

Im not very optimistic with our so called prospect depth. May be some of them gonna be 2nd liners or 3rd liners, but we dont have any top prospects(Price..?). If we dont get any star players from UFA-market, we gonna be average team in our conference..for good.

FinnHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:03 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB11 View Post
Pure speculation that Higgins, Dago and a 1st would have done it. And even if it had, it doesn't mean that Jokinen would be a good fit in Montreal.

Armchair GMs, a dime a dozen - especially in Montreal.
At least, I don't pretend to be anything else...

Old
03-06-2009, 12:24 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post

He doesn't have the pedigree of Gomez and Drury,key players on Stanley Cup winners.
Tanguay actually has the exact same pedigree as Drury, being a key player on a Cup winner. The exact same Cup winner, on the same line, in fact. Not to mention Tanguay being a better player than Drury, then and now. The fact that he gets it done with skill and smarts rather than with guts and "intangibles" doesn't make Tanguay any less effective, in the regular season or in the playoffs. Despite what the mainstream media would have you believe.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 12:29 PM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Tanguay actually has the exact same pedigree as Drury, being a key player on a Cup winner. The exact same Cup winner, on the same line, in fact. Not to mention Tanguay being a better player than Drury, then and now. The fact that he gets it done with skill and smarts rather than with guts and "intangibles" doesn't make Tanguay any less effective, in the regular season or in the playoffs. Despite what the mainstream media would have you believe.
Exactly. Tanguay will fall inbetween 4.5 and 5.5. Probably closer to 5.5 considering 4.5 is what Connolly just got. Certainly worth bringing back he is still a young player, one of the better French Canadian wingers in the league, and if healthy next year (which he should be, he doesn't have an injury prone past) will be at the very least a 70 point player. Can't wait to have him back tonight.

gohabsgo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 12:40 PM
vipergtsr404

Send a message via MSN to vipergtsr404
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnHab73 View Post
Im not very optimistic with our so called prospect depth. May be some of them gonna be 2nd liners or 3rd liners, but we dont have any top prospects(Price..?). If we dont get any star players from UFA-market, we gonna be average team in our conference..for good.
there's first line talent on our wings but no first line center on our team. it's possible i may be wrong since i haven't really studied this but my guess is there's not too many first line wingers who shine without a first line C.

vipergtsr404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 12:46 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipergtsr404 View Post
there's first line talent on our wings but no first line center on our team. it's possible i may be wrong since i haven't really studied this but my guess is there's not too many first line wingers who shine without a first line C.
Really? I can think of a ton of players who have shined with Koivu/Plekanec type centers.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote