HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Rangers - Canadiens Comparison

Old
03-06-2009, 12:19 PM
Corgidequebec

vCash: 500
Rangers - Canadiens Comparison

As a Habs fan I find some interesting comparisons about these two teams have done to improve (or not). Both have been struggling of late. Even with 4 wins in a row Montreal has looked pretty bad, with only great games by Halak preventing 3 of those wins from being loses.
In my humble opinion 3 elements needed to be addressed by both of these teams: Coaching (our lets just say Motivation), Size up front especially at center, and another piece of the puzzle on Defense.
The Rangers addressed all 3 by obtaining Torts, Nik Antropov, and Derick Morris. The Habs addressed nothing. My guess is this will cost Bob Gainey his job in the off season and we could see Patrick Roy as the teams Coach and GM. It will be interesting to see the fortunes of these two teams over the coming weeks, My prediction is the Rangers do some damage in the playoffs and Montreal now misses the playoffs.

Corgidequebec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 12:29 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgidequebec View Post
As a Habs fan I find some interesting comparisons about these two teams have done to improve (or not). Both have been struggling of late. Even with 4 wins in a row Montreal has looked pretty bad, with only great games by Halak preventing 3 of those wins from being loses.
In my humble opinion 3 elements needed to be addressed by both of these teams: Coaching (our lets just say Motivation), Size up front especially at center, and another piece of the puzzle on Defense.
The Rangers addressed all 3 by obtaining Torts, Nik Antropov, and Derick Morris. The Habs addressed nothing. My guess is this will cost Bob Gainey his job in the off season and we could see Patrick Roy as the teams Coach and GM. It will be interesting to see the fortunes of these two teams over the coming weeks, My prediction is the Rangers do some damage in the playoffs and Montreal now misses the playoffs.
haha, that's a great one, yes lets get another rookie coach and gm, great idea! At least he's French though, that's what's important right?

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 12:31 PM
Corgidequebec

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
haha, that's a great one, yes lets get another rookie coach and gm, great idea! At least he's French though, that's what's important right?
I think that he would be in there already this season if not for the way the Remparts are playing. I wouldn't be surprised if it happens. Just what is so bad about loading up on Quebec born players...it worked back in the day.

Corgidequebec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 12:34 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I think that he would be in there already this season if not for the way the Remparts are playing. I wouldn't be surprised if it happens. Just what is so bad about loading up on Quebec born players...it worked back in the day.
Yea if it worked once it must work again, I mean we are having so much success with local players right?

Old
03-06-2009, 12:40 PM
OrbitalDynamics

vCash: 50
I think the worst thing the Habs (Or any team) could do would be bring back an iconic player from past glory, anoint him as "The one to lead the team to glory" and then run him out of town on a rail if/when he fails.

Let them get experience in the minors for a year or three before you hand them the reins of the big club.

OrbitalDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 12:50 PM
Etienne

Quote:
Lang >>> Antropov

Schneider did exactly what he was brought here to do. Resurrect the powerplay and bring experience and stability to the blueline.

Gainey can hardly be blamed for the Canadiens' game since the All-Stars. On paper (and healthy), the Habs could hope for a Cup. On the ice, their effort isn't there. Hamrlik is very average, Komisarek is having his worst season since being a rookie. Price and many young players are learning about commitment and self-control. As for Carbo, well, I'm starting to dislike him more and more but I've seen this many times with Vigneault, Therrien and Julien. Who were/are all successful with other teams after getting fired by the Habs. Personally, now that this 100th anniversary BS is done, I'd leave Carbo there for at least another season. I'm sick of the coaches taking all the blame instead of the players.

Seriously, this is the same **** that is being said every year when Gainey doesn't do something big. Have the Rangers been any more successful than the Habs with all their trades and big UFAs signing? And with the cap going down dramatically over the next 2 years, Rags fans are gonna cry looking at the Redden and Gomez contracts. Gainey stayed put at the TDL because he knew perfectly well that his team, even with another center and D, don't have what it takes to go all the way. Why compromise the future, then?

And **** about Roy being a GM with only junior experience.

Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 02:07 PM
The Chef*

I don't even want to imagine the media ****storm, especially the french media ****storm, that will happen if Montreal misses the playoffs.

Some drunk lunatic might actually hunt down and kill Carbonneau and Gainey.

But in all honesty, I think Montreal needed to do something on deadline day. While Schneider was a good addition, it's not enough. Every NE division team made a move and got better, even if it's slightly better.

The Chef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 02:20 PM
MM425

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chef View Post
But in all honesty, I think Montreal needed to do something on deadline day. While Schneider was a good addition, it's not enough. Every NE division team made a move and got better, even if it's slightly better.
Say what?

Toronto and Ottawa - Got better in the sense of their re-builds... not better as teams right now
Buffalo - Out with Kotalik, In with Moore. Slightly better at best.
Boston - Brought in Recchi and Montador... realistically depth moves with the roster they have
Montreal - Addressed a big need in Schneider (who's paid immediate dividens), made a depth move in picking up Metropolit

Ironically, you could say the Canadiens made the biggest accquisiton within the division... yet people are throwing hissy fits that no effort was made. They made their deadline trade 2 weeks ago.

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 02:31 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etienne View Post
Lang >>> Antropov
Lang is out for the rest of the season and possibly his career?

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Yelnats Puc
Brust 'em up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackattack View Post
Say what?

Toronto and Ottawa - Got better in the sense of their re-builds... not better as teams right now
Buffalo - Out with Kotalik, In with Moore. Slightly better at best.
Boston - Brought in Recchi and Montador... realistically depth moves with the roster they have
Montreal - Addressed a big need in Schneider (who's paid immediate dividens), made a depth move in picking up Metropolit
Toronto got Martin "The Wall" Gerber, and now look to be unbeatable.

Yelnats Puc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 03:12 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Lang is out for the rest of the season and possibly his career?
His career shouldn't be over, it's said that he might be able to return this year in May if somehow the Habs were still playing which seems unlikely at this point but if somehow they were to do some damage in the playoffs (assuming they make it) he might be able to return this year. The more likely bet is that he will be back in the fall.

Old
03-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
lol, I thought there was going to be a real argument. Should've known, it all leads to that.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 03:16 PM
Kessick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelnats Puc View Post
Toronto got Martin "The Wall" Gerber, and now look to be unbeatable.
It's only been one game against a slumping Ovechkin-less Caps. Let's give him some more time to assess his play.

Kessick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Kessick

Quote:
Patrick Roy as the teams Coach and GM
I hope you do this because the habs would go down in the crapper really fast.

Honestly, I think you need to fire your coach, he has not done a good job this year. And maybe move away from the French-only coaches for awhile if there are more qualified non-French candidates available. The city is bilingual, I don't understand why it's such a problem to have an English-speaking coach. Maybe that's an ignorant thing to say, but it seems like you're passing up better coaches continually, which ultimately hurts the team.

Old
03-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Weztex

Quote:
As Robinson, Durnan, Morenz, Dryden, Blake, Lach, Gainey, Shutt worked back in the day. Having Quebec born players doesn't guarantee any success. Having good players does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccliquer View Post
Honestly, I think you need to fire your coach, he has not done a good job this year. And maybe move away from the French-only coaches for awhile if there are more qualified non-French candidates available. The city is bilingual, I don't understand why it's such a problem to have an English-speaking coach. Maybe that's an ignorant thing to say, but it seems like you're passing up better coaches continually, which ultimately hurts the team.
This. I think real habs fans wouldn't care less about having an english coach. The media and the casual fan would inevitably bash such a move. The Habs did pass some good candidates in the last 15 years in favour of local guys, some of them with no coaching experience at all (Tremblay, Carbonneau). The organization seems to suffer from a lot of pressure from the media and from a big part of the population. Unfortunately, most of this population are only casual fans and used to follow the habs under Bowman. I don't think die hard fans or the younger generation would mind about that.

Weztex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 04:00 PM
Yelnats Puc
Brust 'em up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccliquer View Post
It's only been one game against a slumping Ovechkin-less Caps. Let's give him some more time to assess his play.
Sarcasm. I know I didn't put a smiley in, but come on, I'm a Sens fan. There isn't a Sens fan in the entire world that has a high opinion of Gerber's goaltending "prowess."

Yelnats Puc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 04:22 PM
bhuya71

habs rule!

bhuya71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Kessick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelnats Puc View Post
Sarcasm. I know I didn't put a smiley in, but come on, I'm a Sens fan. There isn't a Sens fan in the entire world that has a high opinion of Gerber's goaltending "prowess."
The Leafs can pretty much win in spite of crappy goaltenders, as you can see from Toskala and Cujo's stats this year. We've had the worst goaltending in the entire league and still manage to not be in the bottom 5 of the league.

He did have an impressive outing, though.

Old
03-06-2009, 04:37 PM
Kessick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weztex View Post
This. I think real habs fans wouldn't care less about having an english coach. The media and the casual fan would inevitably bash such a move. The Habs did pass some good candidates in the last 15 years in favour of local guys, some of them with no coaching experience at all (Tremblay, Carbonneau). The organization seems to suffer from a lot of pressure from the media and from a big part of the population.
They should just suck it up and try to prepare for the public backlash or whatever. They should make the best decisions for the team and not worry about outsider's opinions. If the team gets results, no one will complain.