HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

You're Pens GM Ray Shero in the Offseason...

Old
03-06-2009, 08:00 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post
2009-10 cap ~$57,000,000

Sidney Crosby $8,700,000
Evgeni Malkin $8,700,000
Jordan Staal $4,000,000
Chris Kunitz $3,725,000
FA Winger $3,000,000
Petr Sykora $2,750,000
Pascal Dupuis $1,400,000
Matt Cooke $1,200,000
Max Talbot $1,050,000
Eric Godard $750,000
Tyler Kennedy $725,000
Mike Zigomanis $700,000
Paul Bissonnette $500,000

Sergei Gonchar $5,000,000
Brooks Orpik $3,750,000
Mark Eaton $2,000,000
Alex Goligoski $950,000
Ben Lovejoy $850,000
Kris Letang $835,000
Rob Scuderi $800,000

M.A. Fleury $5,000,000
John Curry $550,000

TOTAL $56,935,000
You are actually pretty close to what Shero will most likely do, if you take out the Jagr hash pipe dream.

Basically I see Sykora resigning for under 3m.

Scuderi and Gogs are the X factors... I think both of them will get around 1-1.4m a piece.

If Shero locks them up in that neighborhood, he will have around 2.5-3m to find a top 6 winger in FA.

I would honestly trade Staal for a good young top 6 winger and plug Jeffrey in as the third line center.

Jeffrey is an extremely intelligent player who plays well defensively... I feel he is ready to be the Pens third line center next Fall and will play just as sound a defensive game as Staal.

He won't pot 20 goals like Staal, but between Jeffrey and the winger they bring in for Staal, it will more than make up for that production.

The Pens lineup would then look like this:

Kunitz-Crosby-UFA winger (3m)
Winger acquired for Staal (4m)-Malkin-Sykora
Cooke-Jeffrey-Kennedy
Dupuis-Zigomanis-Talbot
Godard

Orpik-Gonchar
Letang-Eaton
Scuderi-Goligoski
Lovejoy

Fleury
Curry

Last edited by Mr Jiggyfly: 03-06-2009 at 08:13 AM.
Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 08:58 AM
KGpens

I don't know who they should try to bring in. I'm not in that mindset now. But I would try to move Talbot and Dupuis. Both players make over $1MM and are 4th line players...You could bring in a cheap veteran or have a couple of kids with energy playing for half that price...

KGpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 09:30 AM
Bologna 1
Formerly AirheadPete

i see the pens making a serious pitch for gionta

Bologna 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 09:56 AM
kihei

vCash: 2102
From an outsider's perspective, Sykora has certainly earned 3 mill, maybe 3.3, and Fedotenko has contributed sufficiently so that line needs no tweaking. I don't know if Staal's play has picked up with the new coach. If not, he is an asset who could be moved while his stock remains fairly high. I can see that as being a tough call for the organisation, though.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 10:10 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
From an outsider's perspective, Sykora has certainly earned 3 mill, maybe 3.3, and Fedotenko has contributed sufficiently so that line needs no tweaking. I don't know if Staal's play has picked up with the new coach. If not, he is an asset who could be moved while his stock remains fairly high. I can see that as being a tough call for the organisation, though.
If Sykora earns over 3m and they bring back Feds - there will be no money left to find a true top 6 winger.

They would then have Feds, Sykora and Kunitz as their top wingers.

Sykora and Feds are ok, but Shero needs to find wingers who can create on their own, without relying on Crosby and Malkin.

Feds and Sykora pretty much leech off the big two and don't create much offense on their own.

Shero will most likely sign Sykora. That will leave less than 3m to find two other top 6 wingers...

If you look at the numbers they don't work unless Staal is traded.

Unless a prospect like Caputi, Zabotel or Tangradi can step in a top 6 role next season (doubtful).

Old
03-06-2009, 10:49 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

No question resign Sykora, that's all I have to say.

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:13 AM
SkullSplitter

I'd really take a look at the defense first. Eaton can't be the number 4 d-man IMO. That's a recipe for failure.

Also they've got to extend Gonchar and Letang.

Inevitably they're going to be playing with an inadequate top 6 next year. Don't get your hopes up that they'll sign two UFAs in Sykora and someone else and also trade Staal for a winger. I don't think it's happening.

Staal, Malkin, Crosby, Kunitz, a UFA, and either Kennedy or someone out of camp will be relied on as the top 6 for the beginning of the year.

I would not be one bit surprised either if the UFA was on a one year deal like Satan and Fedo were this year.

Personally I don't think it's 100% that Shero re-signs Sykora. As much as he loves playing with Malkin, I see him taking too much to go somewhere else.

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:28 AM
The Pens Are Back*

if i was shero.

i'm not bringing tank and gill back for 6M total

and i go as high as 1.4 for scuds

The Pens Are Back* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:34 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectraljulian View Post
I'd really take a look at the defense first. Eaton can't be the number 4 d-man IMO. That's a recipe for failure.
Eaton is a capable top 4. If he is paired with Letang that is more than adequate.

Quote:
Also they've got to extend Gonchar and Letang.
Those contracts won't kick in until after next Summer.

Quote:
Inevitably they're going to be playing with an inadequate top 6 next year.
That is exactly why Staal has to be traded, unless he finally becomes a top 6 winger (unlikely).

Quote:
Staal, Malkin, Crosby, Kunitz, a UFA, and either Kennedy or someone out of camp will be relied on as the top 6 for the beginning of the year.
TK is not a top 6 winger and as long as the Pens keep miscasting players into the wrong role, they won't be an elite team.

Quote:
I would not be one bit surprised either if the UFA was on a one year deal like Satan and Fedo were this year.
Very possible...

Quote:
Personally I don't think it's 100% that Shero re-signs Sykora. As much as he loves playing with Malkin, I see him taking too much to go somewhere else.
Depends on if Shero is willing to give him the years he wants on his contract...

Old
03-06-2009, 11:47 AM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 1991
Tangradi is NHL ready and I fully expect him in the top 6 to at least start the year.

OilerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 12:09 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Tangradi is NHL ready and I fully expect him in the top 6 to at least start the year.
I only watched hm play in a couple of games at the WJCs, so I have no clue if he is rdy or not yet.

Old
03-06-2009, 12:13 PM
Killiecrankie*

Sykora isnt a 3M player, especially if the cap goes down.

Killiecrankie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 12:33 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
It's a real stretch to say that a kid playing in the OHL is NHL ready.

grabo84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 01:47 PM
JTG

Well according to reports, the cap will go up for 2009-10, and then dip in 2010-11. Shero could use that to his advantage, but the other side of the coin, he would have to make some tough decisions after the 09-10 season.

If I'm Ray, I thoroughly re-evaluate the direction of this team, and do tweaking where necessary.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 01:55 PM
RLD12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post
pipe dream/

Staal, Letang, Caputi, 1st, 2nd '10 for Kovalchuk

Pick for Ponikarovsky

Kovalchuk Malkin Sykora (125-135 goals on the season)
Kunitz Crosby Ponikarovsky (85-95 goals on the season)
Fedotenko Talbot Kennedy (everyone else on the team ~90 goals on the season, Fedotenko + Cooke for depth)
Cooke Zigomanis Godard/Thomas/Wallace/whatever

Gonchar Orpik
Goligoski Scuderi
Grant Gill

Fleury
.500 backup

/pipe dream

Very close to the cap, maybe half a million over, could be shaved off somewhere.
Why would we ever trade that much for Kovalchuk? You cant be serious with that proposal. I dont even know what else to say..just ridiculous.,.

RLD12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 02:19 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hollywòód- View Post
Why would we ever trade that much for Kovalchuk? You cant be serious with that proposal. I dont even know what else to say..just ridiculous.,.
That isn't even close to ridiculous.

grabo84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 02:39 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
Not ridiculous, but the Pens aren't deep enough to trade that much organizational depth for a 1st line winger anymore. I think the ship sailed on that when they moved Whitney for Kunitz + Tangradi.

If I'm Shero

Staal for a top winger prospect that's close to NHL ready + a 3rd line center that's good defensively and more affordable.

Also would consider swapping offensive D-Man prospects Grant or Goligoski to a team in need of that for a more physical D-Man prospect if somebody has the depth.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 02:41 PM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 1991
Quote:
It's a real stretch to say that a kid playing in the OHL is NHL ready.
How so?

He's got the size and skill-set to be ready. In the salary cap era, we've started seeing more kids jump straight from the CHL to the NHL.

OilerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 02:51 PM
Manbearpig48

Quote:
Pretty ridiculous..... Staal and Gogo for Kovalchuk would probably do it

Manbearpig48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 02:51 PM
Dawit49

I would call Jagr & Palffy then go on holiday. Im thinking Thailand

Dawit49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 03:09 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manbearpig48 View Post
Pretty ridiculous..... Staal and Gogo for Kovalchuk would probably do it
lol.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 03:12 PM
Syrinx
RIP MW

IMO, the most important re-signs are in this order:

Must Sign
Rob Scuderi (1.25-1.75 mill) - A warrior who plays solid defensive hockey dirt cheap
Peter Sykora (2.75-3.5 mill) - A great finisher for Malkin
Mike Zigomanis (1.0-1.5 mill) - We need to win faceoffs

Let's wait until we see what he does with Sid
Bill Guerin (3.75-4.5 mill)

'$ee ya' if that's what you're asking for
Ruslan Fedotenko (3.0-3.25 mill) - Nice to have but not in a cap world
Hal Gill (3.0-3.75 mill) - It'll be sad to see him gone from the PK but he's not mobile enough

We're going to be looking to kids from WBS to fill the other holes next year and a couple should be ready. If not, we should be able to get to the trade deadline in contention and hire on a couple rentals as usual.

It would not kill me to see Staal traded for a winger but I do not think it's in Shero's plans.

Syrinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 03:13 PM
Greaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Mr Jiggyfly> View Post
If Sykora earns over 3m and they bring back Feds - there will be no money left to find a true top 6 winger.

They would then have Feds, Sykora and Kunitz as their top wingers.

Sykora and Feds are ok, but Shero needs to find wingers who can create on their own, without relying on Crosby and Malkin.

Feds and Sykora pretty much leech off the big two and don't create much offense on their own.

Shero will most likely sign Sykora. That will leave less than 3m to find two other top 6 wingers...

If you look at the numbers they don't work unless Staal is traded.

Unless a prospect like Caputi, Zabotel or Tangradi can step in a top 6 role next season (doubtful).
Bingo and that goes back to the old debate can Staal play a top 6 role as a winger? If so, then we are good to go.

It may end up looking like this:

Staal-Crosby-Kunitz
Fedex-Malkin-Sykora

or

Kunitz-Staal-Crosby (line kinda makes me wanna puke)
Fedex-Malkin-Sykora

or

Kunitz-Crosby-Fedex
Staal-Malkin-Sykora

Otherwise I don't think Shero has any choice but to trade Staal for another legit top line winger. It has been said 400 times on here, but once again, you can't pay your 1st and 2nd centers 8.7M each and then pay your 3rd line center 4M and expect to have enough cash left over to pick up quality wingers. It just can't be done.

Greaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 03:16 PM
Dragon Priest
Elvenlegions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinest View Post
Jagr wants to play for league minumum so pencil him in on the first line, then I hear that Lemieux is in the best shape of his life and he owns the team so he can play for league minimum as well so....
Lemieux/Crosby/Jagr
Kunitz/Malkin/Sykora

Nicely put. You never know with Mario or Jagr. Highly doubt that happens but that would be absolutly crazy and for league minimum yet!

Dragon Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hollywòód- View Post
Because, I don't know, Kovalchuk is easily the 2nd best sniper in the league, perhaps that's a sufficient reason? We're not talking about the average top line wing here.

His past 5 seasons were, broken down - 2 50 goal seasons, 2 40 goal seasons, a 38 goal season. Playing for the thrashers. Centered by Malkin, with a decent winger that can take care of a play, 60 or even 70 isn't out of the question. He's 4th in the league in goals this year, half of it being on a line with guys who make Talbot look like a hall of fame playmaker. He also hits pretty damn well and isn't exactly a fan of losing. Has a pretty good all around game he throws out whenever his offense isn't clicking enough to justify his worth. Deservedly captain of Russia's national team in 2010. And still 25.

Hell, you saw what Hossa could do with Crosby. Kovalchuk is 5 years younger and has only 44 less goals in his career. I may be biased, but I see Kovalchuk Malkin as the 2nd best possible tandem in the world, after Ovechkin Malkin.

His value is more or less in the same range as that of Lecavalier, Heatley, or Iginla. Probably higher than all of them given his age and accomplishments for his age.

And whoever said Staal and Goligoski alone would do it, yeah... in the same universe where Backstrom and Alzner gets you Malkin.

Yeah, if Waddel offers Kovalchuk for Staal, Letang, Caputi and a 1st I take it and run. Then run some more. Then put him on a line with Malkin and watch god **** his pants.

Last edited by Alex28*: 03-06-2009 at 03:34 PM.
Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote