HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

July 1 2009 : Bob can't let us down this time

Old
03-06-2009, 01:57 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges of the Jungle View Post
If the Habs were drafting for a big and physical forward in 2003, odds are they would have picked Hugh Jessiman. Carter's big, but didn't have the physicality that Jessiman was supposed to have. That would have been so much better than Kostitsyn.
Not necessarily. If they would have addressed the need in C like they had in mind to address the need for D's, we would have ended up with Carter or Getzlaf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
And the point being is that you chose the BPA, period.

Scouting isn't an exact science, but what is surely stupid is drafting the western beef, just for the sake of it...
Not necessarily true. While I believe you're right in drafting guys like Latendresse, Ryan White, maybe even Chipchura ( in their minds), we do addressed needs by going with D's at some point and they admitted that it was a need.

As far as the sempiternel scouting isn't an exact science, I'm tired to hear that. If it was really true, Timmins wouldn't be praised for the great picks he made. 'Cause he's certainly not bashed for the bad picks he made based on the "scouting isn't an exact science".

Check all the drafts that you want, as far as being able to play in the NHL, the general thing is that 1st rounder play in the NHL and then 2nd rounders as well and so on with the minority that ended up playing in the later rounds and with the extra minority that ended up being chosen in the later rounds and make an impact (à la Holmstrom, Datsyuk...). THAT'S where the draft is truly unexact 'cause if it was, those guys would have been chosen in the 1st round but there were too many question marks for them to be picked earlier......or scouts were going to places that other scouts weren't.....and that becomes less unexact that way....

But if you're able to pinpoint teams that are better than others at drafting, it's because it's probably more precise that you think it is.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 03-06-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 03:00 PM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
We have a lot of roster spots to fill and need to really get some quality to play with those under contract right now.

There will be 12.5 + million left with Kovalev/Lang/Dandenault/Bouillon/Cullimore/Salmelainen off the books.

Sign the Sedins, seriously.

Koivu and Tanguay can be had for a hometown discount, there is no need to keep their salary at par.

RFA's Plekanec, Latendresse and Higgins do not deserve high raises.

Schneider could be kept for cheaper, and we promote kids from Hamilton and/or see Emelin come over on D.

Komisarek doesn't deserve a dollar over 4 million per.

Kids like MaxPac and D'Ago have earned a spot, Maxwell is close so there are cheap alternatives as well.

With Lappy playing how he has it look like Chipchura is out of here, he is now trade bait and quite tradeable at the draft more than likely to Edmonton or Calgary, seems to be their type of player.

I think the thing I hate the most Metropolit is on the books one more year for a million and that is Kostopolous's money...and he will get higher offers at 1.5-2.0 on the open market.

We need to make a splash and the Sedins are young, and they come together.

Vinnie is nice, but I hate the price to get him and the contract length and dollars.

If we have learned anything from the deadline is that high salaries are not wanted by teams, so this year to be a UFA maybe a bad one and draft picks and prospects are a high commodity and no one wants to part with them.

So to me we have all three, good prospects/young players, picks and a lot of cap space to get players.

I agree with this man. The Sedins might not be big and dominating physically, but they dominate in cycling battles because they have such an uncanny way of finding each other. Also, they rarely get clocked because they keep their heads up. I could see them paying well with a big young skilled winger like Patches or even Latendresse who could adapt to their style. Actually, I could see them mesh well with Kovalev as weird as it sounds since they all play a west-east and cycling game. They almost constantly end up in the top 30 in scoring which is something we haven't had in a long time( Kovalev doesn't count since he's too inconsistent). The Sedins contrately to popular belief on this board are legit above average first line players.

Sedin-Sedin-Kovalev
Patches-Plekanec-Akost
Tanguay-Koivu-Dagger
Higgins-Lapierre-Latendresse
Kostopoulos-Laraque

I don't think we'd be able to sign Tanguay or Kovalev, but, it's more fun to imagine our lineup with both of them. In any case, Sergei will probably make the team next year.

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 03:14 PM
marchabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO Ouragan16 View Post
I agree with this man. The Sedins might not be big and dominating physically, but they dominate in cycling battles because they have such an uncanny way of finding each other. Also, they rarely get clocked because they keep their heads up. I could see them paying well with a big young skilled winger like Patches or even Latendresse who could adapt to their style. Actually, I could see them mesh well with Kovalev as weird as it sounds since they all play a west-east and cycling game. They almost constantly end up in the top 30 in scoring which is something we haven't had in a long time( Kovalev doesn't count since he's too inconsistent). The Sedins contrately to popular belief on this board are legit above average first line players.

Sedin-Sedin-Kovalev
Patches-Plekanec-Akost
Tanguay-Koivu-Dagger
Kostopoulos-Laraque

I don't think we'd be able to sign Tanguay or Kovalev, but, it's more fun to imagine our lineup with both of them. In any case, Sergei will probably make the team next year.

my god come on guys, sedins here = pipe dream.

marchabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 03:18 PM
TheCanasianfrasian

Send a message via MSN to TheCanasianfrasian
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Vincent Lecavalier will be traded to Montreal during the draft here in Montreal!

Watch, it's supposed to him.
trendster

TheCanasianfrasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 03:23 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by VO Ouragan16 View Post

Sedin-Sedin-Kovalev
Patches-Plekanec-Akost
Tanguay-Koivu-Dagger
Kostopoulos-Laraque

Keep dreaming,if the Sedin's don't end up staying in Vancouver they will sign in Toronto for Burke

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 03:38 PM
DeVries*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
I take Timmins batting average over any other head of scout development in the NHL...

Lucic... 29 other teams past on him (some twice), Carter, Richards and Getzlaf weren't as high as Kostistyn...

And the point being is that you chose the BPA, period.

Scouting isn't an exact science, but what is surely stupid is drafting the western beef, just for the sake of it...
Easiest argument ever about drafting. Drafting 'western beefs' was the post 93' Stanley Cup philosophy, and not what I'm talking about right now. Being physical and gritty doesn't always mean being at least 6f3 and 215 pounds like they tough in the nineteen's. I'm saying that in the past years Montreal hasn't draft different 'models' of players. We now have no heart and no soul on the roster... Face it.

DeVries* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 03:52 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchabsfan View Post
my god come on guys, sedins here = pipe dream.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Keep dreaming,if the Sedin's don't end up staying in Vancouver they will sign in Toronto for Burke
My hunch is that you guys are right. But, it can't hurt to try for them. Hopefully other GM's are scared away by their insistence on staying together (although, given that Burke wasn't scared away at the draft, he likely won't be this time either).

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 04:00 PM
CPrice

Everyone keeps saying Burke would sign them, im not refuting it but why? I realize he drafted them but other then that why would they want to go there? Toronto will also have the cap space like us, but I dont know why all the hype is with them to TO?
(I think they will resign in VAN)

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 04:57 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

I think Bob should make a play for Jagr in the off-season. he would be the best player we've had since Beliveau and still has game. Look what he did last time he took a year off from the nhl and came back refreshed?

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 05:43 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I think Bob should make a play for Jagr in the off-season. he would be the best player we've had since Beliveau and still has game. Look what he did last time he took a year off from the nhl and came back refreshed?

Lafleur
Robinson
Savard
Roy
Cournoyer
Lemaire
Dryden

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 07:09 PM
mario66lemieux*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post

Lafleur
Robinson
Savard
Roy
Cournoyer
Lemaire
Dryden
Jagr's better then anyone on that list not named Lafleur, Roy and Robinson, and only one of those is a superstar forward.

mario66lemieux* is offline   Reply With Quote