HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Downie suspended indefinitely (in AHL)

Old
03-06-2009, 02:49 PM
Danglous

vCash: 500
I like Downie AND Carcillo, OMG! You guys are ridiculous.

He got the #2 hit of the week and Downie was suspended because the other guy got injured. The NHL suspends players on results, not intentions. If McAmmond didnt get hurt, Downie would have earned himself a hit of the week. Same thing goes with Bertuzzi. He wouldnt have gotten in so much trouble and wouldnt be classified as a goon if the other guy didnt get hurt. I hate Bettman and the media.

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 03:09 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Reputation is a...(insert 5 letter 'b' word)

It's appears obvious from the video that he was pissed at the other players stick positioning and took a pretty violent swing at it. I think if Downie really wanted to 'abuse the ref', he would of...and could have.

As I said, reputation. Once you have one it's tough to shake and you'll always get the end of the stick (pardon the pun).
That's a pretty good point. Add that to the fact that he knows the linesman from when they were kids - it doesn't add up to intent to abuse the official.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 03:15 PM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
That's a pretty good point. Add that to the fact that he knows the linesman from when they were kids - it doesn't add up to intent to abuse the official.
Not the way I see it either, hopefully he somehow get's a fair shake during the appeal process.

To stay on topic of 'reputation', that Cam Janssen hit is a carbon copy hit of the Downie one from a few years ago. Nice to see the NHL punish the action, and not the outcome.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 03:23 PM
Terence Peterman

Apparently my current location is keeping me from watching. Can someone help out?

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 03:26 PM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
Apparently my current location is keeping me from watching. Can someone help out?

Old
03-06-2009, 03:26 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I dont think he ment to hit the ref

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 03:27 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
He got suspended for that??

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Not the way I see it either, hopefully he somehow get's a fair shake during the appeal process.

To stay on topic of 'reputation', that Cam Janssen hit is a carbon copy hit of the Downie one from a few years ago. Nice to see the NHL punish the action, and not the outcome.
Yeah, and even though I'm also a fan of Janny, he has a history of hunting guys down to lay them out, too. Remember how we heard Downie "stalked" McAmmond?

Old
03-06-2009, 03:35 PM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
He got suspended for that??
20 games as it stands presently.

Main Entry: rep·u·ta·tion

Pronunciation: \ˌre-pyə-ˈtā-shən\

Function: noun

1 a: overall quality or character as seen or judged by people in general b: recognition by other people of some characteristic or ability <has the reputation of being clever>

2: a place in public esteem or regard : good name <trying to protect his reputation>

Old
03-06-2009, 03:38 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Wud

Quote:
Best part is... He won that faceoff. But that had to be an accident, cause he wanted to hit the ref.

Wud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 03:54 PM
PhilaFlyers

Wow that's a joke.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 04:08 PM
MsWoof

Complete and utter ********. There is no way he intended to hit the ref, was he pissed? Sure, but he was just hacking at the puck AND he won a face off, something I, as a Flyers fan, certainly appreciate.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Reputation is a...(insert 5 letter 'b' word)

It's appears obvious from the video that he was pissed at the other players stick positioning and took a pretty violent swing at it. I think if Downie really wanted to 'abuse the ref', he would of...and could have.

As I said, reputation. Once you have one it's tough to shake and you'll always get the end of the stick (pardon the pun).
I disagree completely. You can see the players stick opposing him on the faceoff was on the left side of the faceoff dot, which is the opposite side of the ref. If he was intending to hit the players stick he would have took a hack forward not towards the ref. Hes a pro hockey player, he can control his stick. Unfortunately he does have that reputation but I dont see anything that would make you assume he was trying to hit the other players stick.

Not only that but it really doesnt matter how hard the slash is. Its abuse of an official. In my opinion he wanted to take a hack at the ref but wanted to make it seem like wasnt. Its a rule that you have to be in control of your stick at all time. Just like if your taking a slap shot and you clip someone in the face on your follow through by accident...its a penalty. You must be in control of your stick at all times and when it comes to hitting an official they will throw the b0ook at you, especially when you have a reputation like he does. If its a timid player, they suspend him for a game or two and chalk it up to a one time accident but when its a guy thats been suspended multiple times at every level hes played, they wont view it that way, and honestly they shouldnt.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 04:18 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
I disagree completely. You can see the players stick opposing him on the faceoff was on the left side of the faceoff dot, which is the opposite side of the ref. If he was intending to hit the players stick he would have took a hack forward not towards the ref. Hes a pro hockey player, he can control his stick. Unfortunately he does have that reputation but I dont see anything that would make you assume he was trying to hit the other players stick.

Not only that but it really doesnt matter how hard the slash is. Its abuse of an official. In my opinion he wanted to take a hack at the ref but wanted to make it seem like wasnt. Its a rule that you have to be in control of your stick at all time. Just like if your taking a slap shot and you clip someone in the face on your follow through by accident...its a penalty. You must be in control of your stick at all times and when it comes to hitting an official they will throw the b0ook at you, especially when you have a reputation like he does. If its a timid player, they suspend him for a game or two and chalk it up to a one time accident but when its a guy thats been suspended multiple times at every level hes played, they wont view it that way, and honestly they shouldnt.
Actually, it's not.

Quote:
Rule 60 High-sticking

60.1 .... However, a player or goalkeeper is permitted accidental contact on an opponent if the act is committed as a normal wind up or follow through of a shooting motion.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Actually, it's not.
ok, got me there lol. But there are plenty of times when a high stick is accidental and its still a penalty because you need to be in control of you stick.

Old
03-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Thanks.

The problem is going to be where his hands were. No one takes a faceoff with their hands that high, and if he had them lower, it would look a little better. He had intent for sure, but the target wasn't the referee.

Aside from that though...it kinda looked cartoonish, with where his hands are and the refs reaction.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 04:28 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
ok, got me there lol. But there are plenty of times when a high stick is accidental and its still a penalty because you need to be in control of you stick.

You're right about being in control. The rule further states that a 'wild swing' at the puck would not be considered an accidental high-stick if the player struck an opponent.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post

You're right about being in control. The rule further states that a 'wild swing' at the puck would not be considered an accidental high-stick if the player struck an opponent.
Well at least I was partially correct haha. I just know Ive been called and got pissed for accidental high sticks and refs always say you have to be in control of your stick at all times.

Old
03-06-2009, 04:48 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton rules View Post
Quote:
The two teams came to center ice for the face-off, and Downie stepped into the face-off circle. Linesman Hamilton prepared to drop the puck. Instead of trying to win the face-off, Downie took a baseball-like swing with full wind-up and struck Hamilton across the right shin. Watching the replay no less than 20 times myself during the postgame, I was appalled not only at the lack of respect for an official, but the sheer violence from one man to another. Here’s the most unbelievable part. Hamilton told me after the game he and Downie went to preschool together. Hamilton is one of the youngest linesman in the AHL, and he and Downie know each other outside of the arena. I couldn’t believe my ears when he told us that in the tunnel underneath the stands postgame last night. Smith assessed a game misconduct to Downie under rule 41. It was ruled last night as a category one offense, although I did notice this morning the category one part was taken off the scoresheet on theahl.com. A category one is an automatic 20-game suspension, and given the savageness of the hit, it deserved every bit of that. The AHL announced Sunday an indefinite suspension pending league review. I’m sure the league office will see what we saw Saturday, an unprovoked attack on an official that was the most vicious I’ve ever seen on a referee or linesman. Regardless of the tragic personal story of Steve Downie, I know what I’d do if I were king for a day. He’s lost the right to play professional hockey. He’s had more than one second chance. He needs rehabilitation and he needs help. But actions have consequences. For Downie, he has to lose hockey to get better as a human being. Nothing short of that is acceptable.

http://johnwaltonhockey.blogspot.com...day-night.html
ouch!!!!!!!!
This blogger is the biggest drama queen I've seen in ages.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 07:41 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

lol that blogger is hilarious.

No wonder he's blogging instead of playing pro baseball if he swings like that.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 12:29 AM
Opus

Double standard...

Old
03-07-2009, 12:33 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

There's absolutely no difference.

But it's not like we needed proof to know Steve didn't get a fair shake on that one, nor do we need proof to know the league is anything but consistent in these matters.

Old
03-07-2009, 01:02 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Those two hits are exactly identical. Hilarious.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 08:08 AM
MsWoof

Unreal, eh? Not only was there no suspension, no penalty but it was the highlight of the night!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote