HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Riley Cote...

Old
03-06-2009, 04:20 PM
Terence Peterman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab Monkey View Post
you know i called for Cote to be moved last year and got eaten alive by the Cote nuthuggers, now it seems like everyone is catching up... he is useless. We dont need him, either send him down or send him packing with Jones

Last year, you say? You mean before the team had Carcillo and Asham; before he was expendable?

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 04:25 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Cote takes on the heavyweights. Asham does not. Carcillo may, I know he's fought Krys Barch, Dallas' tough guy, but he is smaller than Cote is, I don't want him being our heavyweight. It's Carcillo and Asham that don't need to be on the same team. If you dump Cote, someone else has to replace him.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 04:31 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
If you dump Cote, someone else has to replace him.
Just curious as to why you think we need a 'heavyweight'.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 04:43 PM
Mr Oysterhead

Cote's skating ability makes Brashear look like Malkin. I like the guy for his effort, but he's not our best option.

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 04:59 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I think cote has a massive influence in the dressing room though. For all you guys that hate him. He's been through the crap, he gets beaten up every week and he's still the first one on the ice and last to leave. Something younger players should be looking up too
This. The team has been through enough upheaval for the time being without adding to it once again.

And we haven't seen first hand what Carcillo can or can't do. I like the way Asham has been playing the last month or so, but he was pretty useless early in the season.

I don't see Cote getting a lot of ice time when the playoffs start. And it's up in the air how much ice Asham will see. Carcillo is still an unknown, and if/when he takes stupid penalties, we'll have to wait to see whether Stevens throws him under a bus (Kukkonen, Upshall, Downie, Hartnell) or turns a blind eye (Knuble, Carter, Alberts).

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 06:28 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Just curious as to why you think we need a 'heavyweight'.
Because you don't want guys talking liberties on your star players. The way the Flyers play, they're always going to need one.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 06:51 PM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
This. The team has been through enough upheaval for the time being without adding to it once again.

And we haven't seen first hand what Carcillo can or can't do. I like the way Asham has been playing the last month or so, but he was pretty useless early in the season.

I don't see Cote getting a lot of ice time when the playoffs start. And it's up in the air how much ice Asham will see. Carcillo is still an unknown, and if/when he takes stupid penalties, we'll have to wait to see whether Stevens throws him under a bus (Kukkonen, Upshall, Downie, Hartnell) or turns a blind eye (Knuble, Carter, Alberts).
with the amount of stupid/selfish penalties hartnell takes i would lump him in the blind eye group. He is forever taking ill timed pens but seldom misses a shift. Wasn't he directly responsible for the first goal against last night?

flyersjamminontheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 07:26 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Because you don't want guys talking liberties on your star players. The way the Flyers play, they're always going to need one.
Its that simple. We need a player like Cote on our team.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 07:31 PM
Opus

Quote:
I would agree with the liberties part, but I believe I have seen Giroux on recieving end of some nonsense twice...and have seen Cote do nothing.

I'd bet my last nickel that Carcillo would respond to that.

While I know they aren't heavyweights, I have full confidence that between the two of them...Asham and Carcillo are more than capable than keeping the other team honest.

It's also very rare that the other teams 'goon' is on the ice with your star players, taking liberties with them (Perry and Talbot), so it's somewhat irrelevant.

Old
03-06-2009, 07:47 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
opus...mod?
I was waiting for the transformation of you

Last edited by dbr2: 03-06-2009 at 08:40 PM.
dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 08:15 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Cote takes on the heavyweights. Asham does not. Carcillo may, I know he's fought Krys Barch, Dallas' tough guy, but he is smaller than Cote is, I don't want him being our heavyweight. It's Carcillo and Asham that don't need to be on the same team. If you dump Cote, someone else has to replace him.

He one punched Barch in one encounter. Cote will probably continue to be our punching bag for the top heavies and really good super middles in the league. We don't need a heavyweight, they're a dieing breed.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 08:17 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:

Cote does zero to keep guys off our star players. He frightens no one.

Old
03-06-2009, 08:22 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post

Carcillo is a You-tube legend. He's one of the few guys in the league that I'd actually pay to see fight.Hopefully like you say, he can keep the "selfish penalties" to a minimal and keep taking guys to the box with him.

Old
03-06-2009, 08:22 PM
Brophy

Flyers should trade for Steve Mac or Kevin Westgrath. Both can throw bombs and play the game.

I still love Cote though!

Last edited by Brophy: 03-06-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Brophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 08:38 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
Its that simple. We need a player like Cote on our team.
We have two players like Cote in Asham and Carcillo ... better yet, those two can play hockey.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 09:30 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
We have two players like Cote in Asham and Carcillo ... better yet, those two can play hockey.
So you would want to risk those two being injured in fights against other teams enforcers? Leave Cote for the big guys until playoff time then scratch him... Same as last year.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
So you would want to risk those two being injured in fights against other teams enforcers? Leave Cote for the big guys until playoff time then scratch him... Same as last year.

Is the risk really any bigger than Cote getting hurt himself?

He actually scares me when he fights. With every fight, I sit back and wait for the KO.

I admire his heart, but he's a terrible fighter.

Old
03-06-2009, 09:37 PM
Cleary84

I dig this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFplN...eature=related

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Beastieboy

I could watch this all day... one of the most despised players getting a beat-down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8f9S...eature=related

Beastieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 10:00 PM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastieboy View Post
I could watch this all day... one of the most despised players getting a beat-down

You know it's good when the Gretzky is smirking.

I love how he jams on in the box too...classic!

Daniel Carcillo is badass.

I just hope he doesn't lose his mind playing in the orange and black and cost the team. I'm sure he knows that he was traded for a fan favourite in Scottie, and will be pretty contained for a few games.

He's got Flyers written all over him though.

Old
03-06-2009, 10:20 PM
miltons rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastieboy View Post

man that was enjoyable, I hate tucker............stick a fork in cote, he's done.

miltons rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 10:30 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
Carcillo is a You-tube legend. He's one of the few guys in the league that I'd actually pay to see fight.Hopefully like you say, he can keep the "selfish penalties" to a minimal and keep taking guys to the box with him.
I'm more interested in the mystical Carcillo that can apparently score 20-30 goals a year. If he can fight when he needs to stand up for a teammate, play smart, and still do that, I'll gladly take back every negative thing I've said about him.

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 12:28 AM
Opus

For those of you (including myself) that thought the answer was to send Cote down to the Phantoms, it would appear as though he has a one way contract...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4...-work-pays-off

Quote:
In the 2006-07 season, Cote signed a two-way contract with the Philadelphia Flyers.

This past season he played 70 games with the Flyers, collecting one goal, three assists, and 202 penalty minutes. His solid and aggressive style of play landed him a two-year, one-way contract this offseason.

Old
03-07-2009, 04:52 AM
CptCannon

Holy hell, I hope Carcillo won't be put down to 4th line just 'cause he can fight, he's really skilled player also.

Also, would you guys like to see Flyers winning the cup Red Wings -style or Ducks -style?

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 05:28 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
For those of you (including myself) that thought the answer was to send Cote down to the Phantoms, it would appear as though he has a one way contract...
Yes, when he signed it was reported that he took a paycut to get a one-way contract. It is actually a three year, one-way contract worth $550K per season.

Cote will stay in the lineup for the remainder of the season mostly because of his low caphit, Kalinski for example earns around $800K. If the Flyers replace Cote with Kalinski, they would lose the capspace they got from the Upshall trade. That capspace is important as it allows to call up players without putting someone on IR or shuffling the lineup (for example replacing Giroux with Ross).

Once the playoffs start the salary cap isn't operative and the Flyers can add as many players as they want. Someone like Kalinski or Ross will play instead of Cote at the 4th line.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote