HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

You're Pens GM Ray Shero in the Offseason...

Old
03-06-2009, 03:22 PM
rk50

vCash: 500
I think Scuderi is moving on. I don't know why, but I just see some team throwing some nice money at him. He's a possibility of being this years "Finger."

rk50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 03:31 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Re-sign Sykora and sign another top forward.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 03:53 PM
Homerocks*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post
Because, I don't know, Kovalchuk is easily the 2nd best sniper in the league, perhaps that's a sufficient reason? We're not talking about the average top line wing here.

His past 5 seasons were, broken down - 2 50 goal seasons, 2 40 goal seasons, a 38 goal season. Playing for the thrashers. Centered by Malkin, with a decent winger that can take care of a play, 60 or even 70 isn't out of the question. He's 4th in the league in goals this year, half of it being on a line with guys who make Talbot look like a hall of fame playmaker. He also hits pretty damn well and isn't exactly a fan of losing. Has a pretty good all around game he throws out whenever his offense isn't clicking enough to justify his worth. Deservedly captain of Russia's national team in 2010. And still 25.

Hell, you saw what Hossa could do with Crosby. Kovalchuk is 5 years younger and has only 44 less goals in his career. I may be biased, but I see Kovalchuk Malkin as the 2nd best possible tandem in the world, after Ovechkin Malkin.

His value is more or less in the same range as that of Lecavalier, Heatley, or Iginla. Probably higher than all of them given his age and accomplishments for his age.

And whoever said Staal and Goligoski alone would do it, yeah... in the same universe where Backstrom and Alzner gets you Malkin.

Yeah, if Waddel offers Kovalchuk for Staal, Letang, Caputi and a 1st I take it and run. Then run some more. Then put him on a line with Malkin and watch god **** his pants.

As much as I would love to see Kovalchuk on Malkin's line, I equally would not want to see what the bottom six forwards and bottom pairing defense would look like following such a move.

Perhaps acquiring Kovalchuk (or any elite winger along with his expensive contract) would be great for a season at best, but the repercussions would most likely destroy the depth of the Pen's for quite awhile.

So it goes with in a cap-world (unless you're freaking detroit).

Homerocks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 04:12 PM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerocks View Post
As much as I would love to see Kovalchuk on Malkin's line, I equally would not want to see what the bottom six forwards and bottom pairing defense would look like following such a move.

Perhaps acquiring Kovalchuk (or any elite winger along with his expensive contract) would be great for a season at best, but the repercussions would most likely destroy the depth of the Pen's for quite awhile.

So it goes with in a cap-world (unless you're freaking detroit).
You're overrating the value of the bottom 6.

Sure, it can be a game changer if it's something like Niedermayer Pahlsson Moen or the Grind Line from the late 90s. If Shero has any drafting skill he should be able to field a good 3rd line cheaply and consistently replenish it, since given my proposed top 6 it would see maybe 10 minutes of ice time. The energy line can be .500 - .600 players and it won't matter much as long as they forcheck and fight when necessary.

It would be possible to have 3 of Fedotenko, Kennedy, Talbot and Cooke for the bottom 6, even with Kovalchuk. Fedotenko, Kennedy and Cooke can play on the top 2 lines if they have to due to injury. Tangradi could be put in there as well. I don't see him becoming a top 6 winger.

Every team that goes far tends to have a go to winger.

Personally, I'd also move Fleury for Lehtonen, as I don't see one as a significant downgrade from the other since both have consistency issues but are capable of brilliant performances. That could save some salary as well.

Last edited by Alex28*: 03-06-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Personally, I'd also move Fleury for Lehtonen, as I don't see one as a significant downgrade from the other since both have consistency issues but are capable of brilliant performances. That could save some salary as well.
Someday ppl. will realize how valuable MAF is to the Pens - then I won't have to read ridiculous things like this anymore.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 04:37 PM
Clam_Chowder

If I was Ray Shero in the offseason I would quit because that would mean I was Ray Shero and Ray Shero should not be in the business of running NHL teams.

Clam_Chowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 04:41 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Lehtonen WILL get more than MAF in free agency. Look at what Huet got last year for crying out loud and Lehtonen's better, younger and has more upside than Huet. We wouldn't save cap space with that move

MAF is staying. Yeah, he drives you nuts with his inconsistency, but he's still only 24 years old and isn't even in his prime yet. I'd rather wait a few more years before giving up on him being able to be a consistent #1.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 04:48 PM
SkullSplitter

Quote:
Because, I don't know, Kovalchuk is easily the 2nd best sniper in the league, perhaps that's a sufficient reason? We're not talking about the average top line wing here.

His past 5 seasons were, broken down - 2 50 goal seasons, 2 40 goal seasons, a 38 goal season. Playing for the thrashers. Centered by Malkin, with a decent winger that can take care of a play, 60 or even 70 isn't out of the question. He's 4th in the league in goals this year, half of it being on a line with guys who make Talbot look like a hall of fame playmaker. He also hits pretty damn well and isn't exactly a fan of losing. Has a pretty good all around game he throws out whenever his offense isn't clicking enough to justify his worth. Deservedly captain of Russia's national team in 2010. And still 25.

Hell, you saw what Hossa could do with Crosby. Kovalchuk is 5 years younger and has only 44 less goals in his career. I may be biased, but I see Kovalchuk Malkin as the 2nd best possible tandem in the world, after Ovechkin Malkin.

His value is more or less in the same range as that of Lecavalier, Heatley, or Iginla. Probably higher than all of them given his age and accomplishments for his age.

And whoever said Staal and Goligoski alone would do it, yeah... in the same universe where Backstrom and Alzner gets you Malkin.

Yeah, if Waddel offers Kovalchuk for Staal, Letang, Caputi and a 1st I take it and run. Then run some more. Then put him on a line with Malkin and watch god **** his pants.
That's ridiculous overpayment. At this point he's a rental Remember what package got Hossa. If he's signed it's a fair deal, but without a contract it's just stupid. Also that would make Eaton the Pens number 3 d-man. That's just sad.

The cap is going to drop, and having another 8+ million player would really hurt the Pens should the cap go down to 47 million in 2010. TB NORTH here we come.

Sure Kovalchuk is a phenominal player, but I'd rather have some depth, especially with the cap going down.

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 04:57 PM
SkullSplitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Mr Jiggyfly> View Post
Eaton is a capable top 4. If he is paired with Letang that is more than adequate.

Those contracts won't kick in until after next Summer.

That is exactly why Staal has to be traded, unless he finally becomes a top 6 winger (unlikely).

TK is not a top 6 winger and as long as the Pens keep miscasting players into the wrong role, they won't be an elite team.

Very possible...

Depends on if Shero is willing to give him the years he wants on his contract...
I'm personally not a fan of the Eaton and Letang pairing. I think Letang works better with an Orpik or a Gill. Eaton works good with Goligoski IMO.

I know when Gonchar and Letang's new contracts kick in. But because of the economic situation it's very sensible to get them locked up this summer. You don't want them to be cap casualties if the cap does indeed drop. And Ray needs to take advantage of the projection. If they sign believing the cap's going to drop and player values go down, then it doesn't, that's just fortunate for Pens management.

No TK is not a top 6 winger, but I really don't think they're going to have a legit top 6 next year. I'll literally eat crow if the Pens trade Staal or sign more than one legit top 6 player this offseason. Heckyll or Jekyll, your pick. Unless they pull the stop-gap maneuver again, which I think is what they may do.

When you look at the cap and realize that Letang and Gonchar need new contracts in 2010-2011 and that the cap is going to drop, the Pens simply can't afford to hand out multi-year deals to more than one guy.

They can't afford to make a UFA move that's going to jeopardize the future of the blue line.

Old
03-06-2009, 05:09 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
is it just me, or do the penguins have a ton of flexibility going into next year thanks to their acquisition of kunitz?

you have the guys you're keeping in malkin, crosby, kunitz, sykora (should be resigned no doubt in my mind)...

now, you have fedotenko (who could return at similar salary) cooke, kennedy, staal, satan, dupuis, talbot, godard (or a different goon), and a couple young fringe guys like zigomanis/tangradi/caputi/jeffrey..

now, i think you're alright with malkin/sykora and crosby/kunitz as your template in the top two lines. the third line you just pencil in as cooke/staal/kennedy so you don't have to worry about it. and a fourth line combo of talbot/dupuis/young guy or fringe

i think what pittsburgh should also do is really focus on implementing a young player in the top six next year, see who they have RIGHT NOW who could develop with either malkin or crosby long term...

i think it is important to try and dump satan on some low cap team, toronto, islanders.. whoever.. just get rid of him.. it's simple too, pittsburgh has enough physical players to fill twelve spots, all capable of roles.. dumping satan only opens up more salary for next year's trades/ufas/trade dealines..

dump satan though... dump him !

andora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 05:14 PM
grabo84

I'm pretty sure Satan is a UFA, so you don't have to worry about dumping him.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 05:15 PM
tadadonk

what about Casay Pierro Zabotel......He isnt going to cost more then 850,000.

He could easily line-up on top 2 lines and produce.

tadadonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 06:23 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66877168 View Post
With the cap staying put or going down, do you think players like Sedin will get the outrageous raises in pay when they hit ufa? You're probably right, but I don't think he's worth more than 4 or 4.5 tops.
Oh yeah, there's just a huge glut of 80 point wingers, I'm sure he'll be lucky to get 4.5m

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 06:54 PM
petrskudra1

Quote:
Originally Posted by andora View Post
is it just me, or do the penguins have a ton of flexibility going into next year thanks to their acquisition of kunitz?
you have the guys you're keeping in malkin, crosby, kunitz, sykora (should be resigned no doubt in my mind)...

now, you have fedotenko (who could return at similar salary) cooke, kennedy, staal, satan, dupuis, talbot, godard (or a different goon), and a couple young fringe guys like zigomanis/tangradi/caputi/jeffrey..

now, i think you're alright with malkin/sykora and crosby/kunitz as your template in the top two lines. the third line you just pencil in as cooke/staal/kennedy so you don't have to worry about it. and a fourth line combo of talbot/dupuis/young guy or fringe

i think what pittsburgh should also do is really focus on implementing a young player in the top six next year, see who they have RIGHT NOW who could develop with either malkin or crosby long term...

i think it is important to try and dump satan on some low cap team, toronto, islanders.. whoever.. just get rid of him.. it's simple too, pittsburgh has enough physical players to fill twelve spots, all capable of roles.. dumping satan only opens up more salary for next year's trades/ufas/trade dealines..

dump satan though... dump him !

Completely agree. That trade makes me believe that we now have a lot of options, especially when it comes to top 6 wingers and depth. Many kudos to Shero for a smart, sensible deal.

petrskudra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 07:17 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culloden View Post
Sykora isnt a 3M player, especially if the cap goes down.

Finally! First sane post in this thread.

Sykora creates NOTHING and takes bad penalties. Yes, he can finish and I would re-sign him if we can't get someone else, but I'd much rather have a more well-rounded player or put that cash towards one GREAT player than giving Sykora $3million.

Fedotenko is not worth more than around $1.7-$2.0 million in this market, and Gill the same. A $3million projection for Gill is just ridiculous

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 08:10 PM
funky

Pens fans wont like me but I say you trade Crosby. These are my following reasons:

1. Malkin, Staal as a 1-2 punch is still deadly
2. Malkin is a true Superstar and leader
3. Pens seem to do well with Crosby out
4. 8.6 mil in savings
5. The ability to land a star winger, top 3 dman and prospects and picks
6. Makes the team stronger all round

Unfortunatly there are not many teams that I could see that would make good trading partners other then Florida and L.A.

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:14 PM
hgo

Pens can't sign Guerin unless he comes back at a fraction of the $4.5mil that he's currently signed at.

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 01:01 AM
SkullSplitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadadonk View Post
what about Casay Pierro Zabotel......He isnt going to cost more then 850,000.

He could easily line-up on top 2 lines and produce.
I mentioned him as a possible alongside Tangradi and Caputi.

Old
03-07-2009, 01:02 AM
SkullSplitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzo View Post
Pens can't sign Guerin unless he comes back at a fraction of the $4.5mil that he's currently signed at.
no poop sherlock

Old
03-07-2009, 01:22 AM
JorgeRocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66877168 View Post
KUNITZ-CROSBY-Afinogenov(2.5)

Sedin(4)-MALKIN-Sykora(3)

COOKE-STAAL-KENNEDY

GODARD-TALBOT-DUPUIS

GONCHAR-ORPIK

LETANG-EATON

GOLIGOSKI-Grant

Fleury
Curry

Not an easy job for Shero unfortunately.
one sedin. That is like a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich withouth peanut butter

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 01:38 AM
Bob Probert Owns You

Send a message via AIM to Bob Probert Owns You
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manbearpig48 View Post
Pretty ridiculous..... Staal and Gogo for Kovalchuk would probably do it
Aha ha ha ha ha ha. Good one.

Bob Probert Owns You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 01:39 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

I'd make a reasonable offer for Cheechoo (Dupuis + pick?), who seems to have no niche in San Jose and is taking up their valuable cap space, and plug him into Sid's right wing hoping he recaptures some of his scoring touch.

Then sign Sykora, Zigomanis, and Adams (or the like), put Caputi on Malkin's LW, and look to replace Scuds by dealing for a cheap, effective (and more aggressive) d-man.

Kunitz-Crosby-Cheechoo
Caputi-Malkin-Sykora
Cooke-Staal-Kennedy
Talbot-Zigomanis-Adams

Gonchar-Eaton
Letang-Orpik
Gogs-Tollefsen

Fleury
Curry

Looks alright to me.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 01:43 AM
WickedWrister

I don't like penciling in young players on top 6 lines.

WickedWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 01:48 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
I'd make a reasonable offer for Cheechoo (Dupuis + pick?), who seems to have no niche in San Jose and is taking up their valuable cap space, and plug him into Sid's right wing hoping he recaptures some of his scoring touch.

Then sign Sykora, Zigomanis, and Adams (or the like), put Caputi on Malkin's LW, and look to replace Scuds by dealing for a cheap, effective (and more aggressive) d-man.

Kunitz-Crosby-Cheechoo
Caputi-Malkin-Sykora
Cooke-Staal-Kennedy
Talbot-Zigomanis-Adams

Gonchar-Eaton
Letang-Orpik
Gogs-Tollefsen

Fleury
Curry

Looks alright to me.
That. Well, just about that. Bolded players I hope will be different, but Cheechoo might indeed prove a great gamble.
I'd like to retain Scuds rather than Eaton, who - if we can deal him - I would like to replace with a more physical guy who can play second pairing defense. Still high on Witt for that position, and I think he and Letang could develop into something pretty nasty together. Hopefully Eaton keeps his present form going and creates a market for himself.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 01:55 AM
Jacob

I trade Cindy Crysbaby to dem dere Maple Leaves for Ponikarovsky, Grabovsky, Chaikovsky and a 2nd rounder!

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote