HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Explanation of Metropolit on PP

Old
03-06-2009, 10:26 PM
just_thoughts
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Explanation of Metropolit on PP

Metropolit was on the ice on the 5 on 3 in order to help Saku win the face-off. A common strategy in this situation is to have a right-handed shot on his off-wing in order to collapse in and help the centreman(particularly a left-handed shot taking a faceoff on the left side). Why a right-handed shot? because a right-handed shot coming into the faceoff circle off the half wall on the left side can use his body to shield his stick from the defenseman coming in from the same half-wall.
I don't usually post, but I've been a little concerned with the level of hockey intelligence demonstrated on this board lately. It's a slippery slope and it seems there is a logjam of people sliding down this hill on their butts; while spinning in circles.
Thanks for reading.

just_thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 10:28 PM
Gary320

Who's Metropolis =-o

Oh you mean Glen Metropolit?

Gary320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 10:29 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_thoughts View Post
Metropolis was on the ice on the 5 on 3 in order to help Saku win the face-off. A common strategy in this situation is to have a right-handed shot on his off-wing in order to collapse in and help the centreman(particularly a left-handed shot taking a faceoff on the left side). Why a right-handed shot? because a right-handed shot coming into the faceoff circle off the half wall on the left side can use his body to shield his stick from the defenseman coming in from the same half-wall.
I don't usually post, but I've been a little concerned with the level of hockey intelligence demonstrated on this board lately. It's a slippery slope and it seems there is a logjam of people sliding down this hill on their butts; while spinning in circles.
Thanks for reading.
Yeah you are way to smart for us.

And theres already a thread about this

And I dont care, on a 5 on 3, you put your best scorer and your best shooter AKA Andrei Kostitsyn.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Magic33

It is also useful having a right handed shooter and left handed shooter on each board (further in obviously) just for a quick one time shot. Sure he might not be the best player, but he would be able to release much quicker then say A. Kost would, simply because he has a one time ability.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 10:43 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Metropolit was on the ice on the 5 on 3 in order to help Saku win the face-off. A common strategy in this situation is to have a right-handed shot on his off-wing in order to collapse in and help the centreman(particularly a left-handed shot taking a faceoff on the left side). Why a right-handed shot? because a right-handed shot coming into the faceoff circle off the half wall on the left side can use his body to shield his stick from the defenseman coming in from the same half-wall.
Thanks for reading.

Errr....D'Agostini?

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 10:45 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Thanks for reading.
Go watch the play on replay. Metropolis did anything BUT create what you're writing. I agree with you, when the player has talent. Metropolis used to play for the freaking Rafales for crying out loud. He's a lousy 4th line center, and should, in fact, be in Europe somewhere.

Old
03-06-2009, 10:49 PM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Errr....D'Agostini?
He was in the press box.

Gary320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:08 PM
just_thoughts
HFB Partner

Quote:
Go watch the play on replay. Metropolis did anything BUT create what you're writing. I agree with you, when the player has talent. Metropolis used to play for the freaking Rafales for crying out loud. He's a lousy 4th line center, and should, in fact, be in Europe somewhere.
Actually, I have the play on PVR; but thanks. I was simply explaining the strategy, I never wrote that he succeeded. Metropolit ended up being boxed out of the play by Saku, as the puck got stuck between the two battling centres; these things happen when there are two teams on the ice battling for opposite needs, desires and goals.

Old
03-06-2009, 11:11 PM
just_thoughts
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Yeah you are way to smart for us.
What makes you think I was referring to you?
I apologize if I insulted you

Last edited by just_thoughts: 03-06-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Old
03-06-2009, 11:12 PM
Garo

I have no problem with the strategy when you have someone talented (aka Lang).

I have a problem when you're using a fourth liner there (aka Smolinski or Metropolit).

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:13 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Thanks for reading.
Well we lost the draw and Metropolit didn't tie up his man and we still managed to lose...so it did nothing to help.

Thanks for the advise.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:18 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Actually, I have the play on PVR; but thanks. I was simply explaining the strategy, I never wrote that he succeeded. Metropolit ended up being boxed out of the play by Saku, as the puck got stuck between the two battling centres; these things happen when there are two teams on the ice battling for opposite needs, desires and goals.
Lang was the perfect example of what you wrote. Metropolit's mistake was that he didn't wait for the puck. He tried to move onto the center position too quickly. Look at the puck: it was going directly to him. He anticipated as if he was the center, following the play instead of acting like a true winger. If he had, he would have had the puck.

Old
03-06-2009, 11:20 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
He was in the press box.
Exactly. The kid would have been better tonight against an opponent that doesn't hit and doesn't care.

Old
03-06-2009, 11:21 PM
The n00b King ©*

Quote:
Exactly. The kid would have been better tonight against an opponent that doesn't hit and doesn't care.
We weren't playing ourselves.

The n00b King ©* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:23 PM
Stradale

Quote:
What makes you think I was referring to you?
I apologize if I insulted you
Its okay bud. Sorry for being offensive. I just hate Carbo. Putting Metropolit on a 5 on 3 is just nasty for me.

There are teams that put 5 forwards on a PP or a 5 on 3. The coach dont care. Put your 5 best offensive guys out there and they will do anything to score you a goal.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:24 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
We weren't playing ourselves.

touché.

Old
03-06-2009, 11:31 PM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

You want a right-handed shot center on the 5-on-3?

At least put Lapierre on there. Even then, I'd rather have the most skilled forwards out, but if you really want the right hand second center out.....at least put Lappy.

That was a very bad move by Carbo.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:33 PM
Habitant#1

The game is tied, it's the bottom of the ninth, the bases are loaded,
there are two outs, and Strawberry is due to bat. Even though Darryl
has hit nine home runs, Burns sends him to the showers because Strawberry
and the pitcher are both left-handed. ("It's called playing the
percentages.'') He sends Homer, a righty, to the plate instead.

http://www.snpp.com/episodes/8F13.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homer_at_the_Bat

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 07:27 AM
wedge

the moment I saw Metropolit on that 5-on-3 is the moment I joined the fire-Carbo bandwagon.

when you need a goal, you don'T put a 4th liner on the ice. And Carbonneau has done this mistake far too many times this year.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 07:33 AM
Evil Ted

I said it in the other thread he did this with Smoke last year down the stretch and it didn't work out that well, it would be better to put one of our more skilled guys out there.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 07:57 AM
dcyhabs

Better Metropolit than Gorges or Kostopoulos.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 08:10 AM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcyhabs View Post
Yeah... but the lesser list is far smaller than the better list.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 08:11 AM
Mother Pucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcyhabs View Post
Now what kind of comment is that? Of course its better to put Metro than those 2...but hey its also better to put him than Glumac, or a piece of dead cow on the 5 on 3 while you're at it. Doesn't change the fact that we won't get far with this kind of coaching. Carbo is one of the worst coach in the NHL, if not the worst in my book.

Mother Pucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 09:11 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Why a right-handed shot? because a right-handed shot coming into the faceoff circle off the half wall on the left side can use his body to shield his stick from the defenseman coming in from the same half-wall.
Thanks for reading.
It's a fair point. A lot of people slammed Carbo for this last night, a lot of people stuck up for him making that decision last night. It's not the choice I would have made but I can understand why he did it.

But if Carbo is to be praised for recognising that a RH shot would be useful out there, if he was considering shooting lanes and angles and made a good call, what is the defense for him almost always using Andrei Kostitsyn on the left wing? Andrei has the hardest shot on the team since the beginning of last year. He is currently the teams leader in goals scored. He is clearly a skilled player and someone we should look to for scoring. He is also young and potentially a large part of the future of this team. So how come Metropolit gets the benefit of being played in a position where he gets better shooting angles and the player with the best shot who leads the team in goals scored doesn't?

As I said, I can understand why Carbo used Metro last night in that situation. But if that is truly something that is on his mind, why is he missing out on maximising the skillset of a player like Andrei? He needs to be on the right wing, even if it's on the 3rd or 4th line. He showed earlier in the year he can produce on a line with Lapierre, he did so in Hamilton as well. He has shown he can produce with any centre on the team right now other than Metro (due to the limited time they have had together). Clearly, for whatever reason, he isn't playing his best right now. But if we want the kid to shoot more, if we need him to score, when does he get a chance to benefit from better lanes and angles?

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 12:09 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
If you need a scoring right hand shot. Look no further than D'Agostini. No reason for him to be benched over Mathieu "I want to be traded but nobody in the league wants me" Dandenault.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote