HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you think this team will ALWAYS hire francophone-only coaches?(or bilingual)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-07-2009, 11:20 AM
  #76
Frankenheimer
Registered User
 
Frankenheimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: MTL
Posts: 1,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Anyways, there's no point in replying back and forth since you're obviously not going to get the point of this thread.
I understand the point of your thread. Your argument basically suggests that there is and has always been a pool of great, non-bilingual coaches available that the franchise basically ignores. While this may be true, you have to show that this has been a big problem (24 cups says no) and that our lack of recent success is directly related to this. We've recently had some bad coaches, but the majority of coaches in the NHL are unsuccessful. There are very few elite coaches. Our recent coaches, I would argue, are among the more successful in the league (Therrien, Julien, Vigneault). Our current coach was runner up for coach of the year last year.

Therefore, I guess I just don't agree with your assumption that hiring bilingual coaches is a big problem, because the one's we've had have been among the better ones, and there is no imaginary pool of great coaches available out there that would blow away the ones we've gone with. Neither Nolan nor Renney have been close to winning a cup. These are the guys we're missing out on? I understand the point of your thread, I just strongly disagree with its logic and, I would add, the connotations.

Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 11:23 AM
  #77
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
We went through a rough time. So have many franchises. Is it because of a lack of strictly English speaking coaches? That's why we've been mediocre? And conversely, how do we explain the existence of other mediocre franchises of which there are many? Through the same means, by pointing to the language of their coaches?

There's a lot of criticism of francophones on this forum. Little jabs here and there. When you put up a thread title like this one, it just seems a little provocative in that context, no? Especially the way ALWAYS is emphasized, like it's a major grievance against habs fans. Anyway, carry on with your friendly discussion of how francophone coaches are a HUGE PROBLEM. No veiled criticism of francophones implied. Nope.
You seem to be unable to discern the difference between criticizing some francophones and criticizing people because they are francophones

Fans like myself do not choose a team steeped in French/Quebecois background because we dislike francophones. I don't go to Montreal annually to have fun because I dislike French speaking folks. It makes no sense what you are saying.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 11:28 AM
  #78
Frankenheimer
Registered User
 
Frankenheimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: MTL
Posts: 1,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
You seem to be unable to discern the difference between criticizing some francophones and criticizing people because they are francophones.
That's a misleading characterization of the problem I think. My point was that this franchise has already had several non-francophone coaches, and that hiring bilingual coaches has not been a problem. Moreover, there are economic benefits to having bilingual coaches because it provides the fans and the media with greater access to the team, which is not only a league-requirement, but also a more sound business-model for this market.

Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 12:07 PM
  #79
suprez
Registered User
 
suprez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Laval
Country: Canada
Posts: 820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlandry View Post
I hate it but the media would go absolutely crazy if we had a coach that didn't speak French. They would create an outrage and a lot of "fans" that only watch RDS and RIS would join the bandwagon.

It's sad and incredibly stupid but that's the truth. People here are racist (bigots? I don't know which term applies) for stupid reasons.
Racist ? lollolololololololololol

Please mod .. close this thread before it's get ugly.I'm controlling myself right now.

suprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 01:37 PM
  #80
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
That's a misleading characterization of the problem I think. My point was that this franchise has already had several non-francophone coaches, and that hiring bilingual coaches has not been a problem. Moreover, there are economic benefits to having bilingual coaches because it provides the fans and the media with greater access to the team, which is not only a league-requirement, but also a more sound business-model for this market.
The issue isn't that hiring a bilingual coach is a problem. It's whether or not we're getting the best person available. If the best coach in the world spoke only French and needed a translator to communicate with his players, I'd still want him because he's the best.

You have to agree that getting an experienced proven coach is much better than getting rookie guy. Our recent history seems to be that we aren't getting the best coaches available at the time causing us to get rookie coaches.

I rather have Ron Wilson as a coach instead of Carbo because he has a history of getting the most out of his players even if they aren't that good. Were Ron Wilson available at the time we needed a coach, do you think he'd have been considered for the job?

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 01:43 PM
  #81
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I'm not trying to start a language debate...

I'm just saying...

IMO, we're in big trouble if we have to limit our choices to francophone-only head coaches.

I look at a guy like Peter Laviolette and I think he'd be a great coach for us.

What's your opinion on the matter?
They will always hire a billingual guy...right or wrong, that's the way it is...no need for anyone to get nasty about it, it is what it is...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 01:51 PM
  #82
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,071
vCash: 500
this is obvious, and nothing to make a story about.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 01:57 PM
  #83
Frankenheimer
Registered User
 
Frankenheimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: MTL
Posts: 1,896
vCash: 500
What would be interesting is if we look at the same issue from a different point of view. I continue to believe the problem is hypothetical for now. In reality, it has not "limited" the Habs. That may change, but for now it hasn't been a limitation.

Here is the proposition: If it were true that the selection of bilingual coaches has limited Montreal, then it would stand to reason that other comparable markets would perform better than Montreal over time.

Are we agreed on that?

I submit the Laffs and the Rangers. They have comparable markets and money, if not more money during the non-cap years. For 40 years now, they've had access to all the "best coaches". The result, one cup. Therefore, the theory as applied to reality doesn't really bear out. Add to the Rangers and Leafs, the BlackHawks. Still 1 cup. How about Boston? How many cupless years?

Maybe we should look at bilingual coaches as assets instead of limitations. Lemaire, Hartley, Demers, Robinson, Bowman, all cup wining coaches. Julien about to lead Boston to the number one seed. Carbo won last year. I see as much evidence in favour of maintaining a bilingual coach as going with someone else.

There are just not that many great coaches out there, that's the bottom line, and we've had many good ones and some great ones in Montreal. No one was going to help this team during the dark years in the 90s. No coach was going to take the Habs to the Cup last year.

And as I've said, being a coach in Montreal is different than being a coach anywhere else. It's a much different environment, and the public is eager to follow the storyline of the team as much as the games themselves. I happen to think it's an asset to be able to communicate in both languages. So does anyone working in Montreal in the public eye. For what it's worth, I think Carbo has done a decent job and based on last year's performance deserves the benefit of the doubt this year.

Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 02:13 PM
  #84
habdynasty
Registered User
 
habdynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,825
vCash: 500
Kinda of off topic but does anyone know how many french coaches the expos had before they left town? Did it matter what language those guys spoke? How about the Als ?

habdynasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 11:40 AM
  #85
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habdynasty View Post
Kinda of off topic but does anyone know how many french coaches the expos had before they left town? Did it matter what language those guys spoke? How about the Als ?
0 french coaches per se...and it didn't seem to matter, but with the Habs, it's a religion boys! Would it really matter though?

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 12:05 PM
  #86
obcd1
Registered User
 
obcd1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 635
vCash: 500
An english coach in Montreal is impossible, just look at how many people complain that Koivu doesn't speak french.

obcd1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.