HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Downie suspended indefinitely (in AHL)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-07-2009, 07:29 AM
  #201
Opus
Registered User
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,920
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Unreal, eh? Not only was there no suspension, no penalty but it was the highlight of the night!
Yeah, how ridiculous is THAT???


To be fair, he did get fined. lol.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 09:43 AM
  #202
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!
 
DeadPhish5858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: the Shade
Country: United States
Posts: 13,476
vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
I just saw the slash on the ref. That shouldn't have even been a penalty. Poor Downie. Its only because of his reputation.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 10:09 AM
  #203
XS Chop
Registered User
 
XS Chop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Maple Shade, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton rules View Post
Quote:
The two teams came to center ice for the face-off, and Downie stepped into the face-off circle. Linesman Hamilton prepared to drop the puck. Instead of trying to win the face-off, Downie took a baseball-like swing with full wind-up and struck Hamilton across the right shin. Watching the replay no less than 20 times myself during the postgame, I was appalled not only at the lack of respect for an official, but the sheer violence from one man to another. Heres the most unbelievable part. Hamilton told me after the game he and Downie went to preschool together. Hamilton is one of the youngest linesman in the AHL, and he and Downie know each other outside of the arena. I couldnt believe my ears when he told us that in the tunnel underneath the stands postgame last night. Smith assessed a game misconduct to Downie under rule 41. It was ruled last night as a category one offense, although I did notice this morning the category one part was taken off the scoresheet on theahl.com. A category one is an automatic 20-game suspension, and given the savageness of the hit, it deserved every bit of that. The AHL announced Sunday an indefinite suspension pending league review. Im sure the league office will see what we saw Saturday, an unprovoked attack on an official that was the most vicious Ive ever seen on a referee or linesman. Regardless of the tragic personal story of Steve Downie, I know what Id do if I were king for a day. Hes lost the right to play professional hockey. Hes had more than one second chance. He needs rehabilitation and he needs help. But actions have consequences. For Downie, he has to lose hockey to get better as a human being. Nothing short of that is acceptable.

http://johnwaltonhockey.blogspot.com...day-night.html
ouch!!!!!!!!
So appalled that he watched it 20+ times, I applaude his bravery and intestinal fortitude through this tragidy. A true artist willing to suffer for his craft.

XS Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 11:18 AM
  #204
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Double standard...



Not really. The Janssen hit, the guy got up. McAmmond didn't, and was out for a bit. The NHL has already stated publicly that injuries account for the suspension lengths. The hit was identical, the result was not.

Although $2500 fine is a joke. That's nothing.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 11:22 AM
  #205
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,521
vCash: 5792
I saw the YT and still can't even see it.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 11:23 AM
  #206
Opus
Registered User
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,920
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Not really. The Janssen hit, the guy got up. McAmmond didn't, and was out for a bit. The NHL has already stated publicly that injuries account for the suspension lengths. The hit was identical, the result was not.

Although $2500 fine is a joke. That's nothing.
Yeah, I know...and that's why the NHL is a joke.

Can you imagine if life (outside the NHL) were like that. Imagine being shot at and the cops telling you it's nothing to worry about because the bullet missed you? Or, better yet...fining the shooter because he/she shot you in the toe and not in the chest???

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 11:31 AM
  #207
Terence Peterman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I saw the YT and still can't even see it.
That's why I said it looks cartoonish. It just looks totally overblown.

I don't know, maybe it's the angle we're seeing. If we had the other side maybe we'd be saying different.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 12:01 PM
  #208
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Yeah, I know...and that's why the NHL is a joke.

Can you imagine if life (outside the NHL) were like that. Imagine being shot at and the cops telling you it's nothing to worry about because the bullet missed you? Or, better yet...fining the shooter because he/she shot you in the toe and not in the chest???
But this is a little different. The sport is a physical sport where checking and hitting is considered legal. If you get destroyed and get up like nothing happened, then there's no worries. If he gets seriously hurt, it effects his career, so you pay the consequences. Take responsibility for your actions.

Plus, there is a difference between murder and attempted murder.

BTW Congrats on the MOD spot.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 12:02 PM
  #209
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
That's why I said it looks cartoonish. It just looks totally overblown.

I don't know, maybe it's the angle we're seeing. If we had the other side maybe we'd be saying different.
The camera is a horrible angle. But for that blogger, if he's doing his write up about of vicious it is based on that camera angle, he needs to pull his head out of his ass. You can't really go off anything by that Youtube video. It doesn't really show that much.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 12:02 PM
  #210
Opus
Registered User
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,920
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
But this is a little different. The sport is a physical sport where checking and hitting is considered legal. If you get destroyed and get up like nothing happened, then there's no worries. If he gets seriously hurt, it effects his career, so you pay the consequences.

Plus, there is a difference between murder and attempted murder.
Leave it to the resident engineer to break it down like that, lol.

I was just trying to say, the actions (regardless of the outcome) should also be punishable. Those hits are as very identical. You could even argue that Janssen throws himself more at his victim, than Downie did.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 12:05 PM
  #211
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Leave it to the resident engineer to break it down like that, lol.

I was just trying to say, the actions (regardless of the outcome) should also be punishable. Those hits are as very identical. You could even argue that Janssen throws himself more at his victim, than Downie did.
So I guess the NHL felt that the hit is worth $2500, and then the injury is worth 20 games? Maybe? IDK I agree there's no consistency with this cases, but then again since they approach them on a case by case basis, I think a lot of it is hoping that the committee didn't wake up on the wrong side of the bed...or that your name isn't Steve Downie.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 12:11 PM
  #212
Terence Peterman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
But this is a little different. The sport is a physical sport where checking and hitting is considered legal. If you get destroyed and get up like nothing happened, then there's no worries. If he gets seriously hurt, it effects his career, so you pay the consequences. Take responsibility for your actions.
This is the argument I don't understand. You can hit a guy with a by-the-books hip check along the boards and still injure him badly. You did everything right and clean and were in complete control and responsibility of yourself and the guy still gets hurt.

Whether or not the guy gets hurt isn't always up to you. It isn't necessarily a part of your action, and no matter what anyone says about these two hits (the Downie one especially) no one is ever trying to hurt another human being, but rather is trying to make an impact on the game or an impression they're trying to give (Downie's case in particular, where it was a pre-season game and he was trying to make the team). You shouldn't be held responsible for that. The only reason Michalek didn't end up like Dean McAmmond is because he wasn't caught at such an awkward distance from the boards. That's really the only difference. There's no way a player should be held accountable for that.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 12:13 PM
  #213
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
This is the argument I don't understand. You can hit a guy with a by-the-books hip check along the boards and still injure him badly. You did everything right and clean and were in complete control and responsibility of yourself and the guy still gets hurt.

Whether or not the guy gets hurt isn't up to you. It isn't necessarily a part of your action. You shouldn't be held responsible for that. The only reason Michalek didn't end up like Dean McAmmond is because he wasn't caught at such an awkward distance from the boards. That's really the only difference. There's no way a player should be held accountable for that.
There's that and the fact McAmmond is prone to concussions. A warm breeze could concuss him.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 12:28 PM
  #214
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
There's that and the fact McAmmond is prone to concussions. A warm breeze could concuss him.
You say that like he likes being prone to concussions.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 12:30 PM
  #215
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 14,078
vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Just saw the video.

I'm actually surprised they suspended him for that. Meh.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 12:37 PM
  #216
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
You say that like he likes being prone to concussions.
No, but the fact McAmmond was concussed and Michalek wasn't should have no bearing on the punishment, in my opinion. Everyone's brain responds differently to violent contact.

They were equally vicious checks. They should be punished equally. Too ****ing bad if McAmmond has a squishy head and Michalek has one built like a tank.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 12:38 PM
  #217
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
This is the argument I don't understand. You can hit a guy with a by-the-books hip check along the boards and still injure him badly. You did everything right and clean and were in complete control and responsibility of yourself and the guy still gets hurt.

Whether or not the guy gets hurt isn't always up to you. It isn't necessarily a part of your action, and no matter what anyone says about these two hits (the Downie one especially) no one is ever trying to hurt another human being, but rather is trying to make an impact on the game or an impression they're trying to give (Downie's case in particular, where it was a pre-season game and he was trying to make the team). You shouldn't be held responsible for that. The only reason Michalek didn't end up like Dean McAmmond is because he wasn't caught at such an awkward distance from the boards. That's really the only difference. There's no way a player should be held accountable for that.
Or the fact that Michalek had his head up the whole time while McAmmond only got it up at the last second. Downie also came from the blue line, Janssen was turning around the corner and hit him, so Janssen's contact had a lot less speed and force.

Yes, it's part of the action. But it's also part of the players job to protect themselves on the ice (cue Randy Jones argument). It's also the players job to take them out of the play without taking them out of the game.

As for doing it by the books and still injuring, that's why they call it a freak accident. But that also explains why the NHL does these on a case by case basis. If they felt you had no intent to injure and they got injured, you're not held liable.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 01:12 PM
  #218
Opus
Registered User
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,920
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
So I guess the NHL felt that the hit is worth $2500, and then the injury is worth 20 games? Maybe? IDK I agree there's no consistency with this cases, but then again since they approach them on a case by case basis, I think a lot of it is hoping that the committee didn't wake up on the wrong side of the bed...or that your name isn't Steve Downie.
Perhaps, we'll never know because they never make their decisions public.

Although, I have a really difficuly time believing if McAmmond got up and skated away...that the hit would have been basically ignored. I could way off base, but I do feel that way.

Reputation ya know?

Flyers + Downie = Book being thrown.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 01:34 PM
  #219
phlocky
Registered User
 
phlocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
That's interesting and not entirely surprising. You and I know how blown out of proportion these things get when he's involved.
I have to say that Downie DOES lose his head and go ape **** on players every now and then but against an official??? I just don't see it. He has nager management issues but that results from things that are mostly done TO HIM, I just don'tsee him attacking an official especially when it would be much more in line with his character to attack a Bears player instead. He was probably trying to whack the Bears player while swiping at the puck but missed and MAY have caught the official by accident. I too think this whole thing has been blown out of proportion just because of his reputation.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 01:47 PM
  #220
phlocky
Registered User
 
phlocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,150
vCash: 500
I have just one thing to add regarding the Carle trade. You guys saying you'd rather have Eminger at 1 mil than Carle at 3.4 mil are ok with us being 0-6 at the beginning of the season and 4-8 BEFORE the Carle trade??? Eminger was a carbon copy of Jones, scoring on the offense but sucks in his own zone. Until Carle came to the team we had one top pairing and 2 bottom pairings. You certainly would fail quickly beyond belief with the second pairing we were fielding prior tothe trade. Carle is our 2nd best dman, yes he still makes mistakes but he reads plays a TON better than everyones golden boy Coburn. Parent is better than Coburn in his own zone and it won't be too long before Parent is better than Carle too.

I see that all of you have convienently forgotten just how bad of a job Coburn did when asked to lead the 2nd pairing at the beginning of this season. He FAILED miserably. Everyone was questioning his success from last year and wondering if it was that he played well or was it just that Timonen MADE him better, or at least LOOK better, than he really was.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 02:49 PM
  #221
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Just saw the video.

I'm actually surprised they suspended him for that. Meh.
It doesn't look like he goes for the ref at all. looks like he slips while trying to chop the puck

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 02:53 PM
  #222
BerubeBox*
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
It doesn't look like he goes for the ref at all. looks like he slips while trying to chop the puck
It looks like absolutely nothing whatsoever, zero.

We're gonna need a better video.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 06:12 PM
  #223
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Perhaps, we'll never know because they never make their decisions public.

Although, I have a really difficuly time believing if McAmmond got up and skated away...that the hit would have been basically ignored. I could way off base, but I do feel that way.

Reputation ya know?

Flyers + Downie = Book being thrown.
Hey man let them suspend us. I'm proud of that reputation.

The Flyers of the 70's used to have nights in the locker room before a game where they would go "OK guys no fights tonight" and they would walk away with 3 fights because the other team got intimidated and thought they had to come out fighting. I'll take the suspensions if it means the Flyers reputation gets under our opponent's skin.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 03:39 PM
  #224
FlyersFan30
lolwut
 
FlyersFan30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 93
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonMTG View Post
I'm interested in this thread because Steve Downie is a hugely entertaining train wreck, and I'd LOVE to see a video of whatever he did this time

and here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHC-Lpa76bA

FlyersFan30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 08:21 AM
  #225
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
JXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Carle is our 2nd best dman, yes he still makes mistakes but he reads plays a TON better than everyones golden boy Coburn. Parent is better than Coburn in his own zone and it won't be too long before Parent is better than Carle too.
Carle is NOT better than Coburn. Carle does NOT read plays better than Coburn. Parent is NOT better than Coburn in the Flyers' end. Parent WILL be better defensively than Carle.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.