HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Taping hockey stick handle

Old
03-06-2009, 03:37 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
yea but they dye the white tape too. i can understand the black tape turning your gloves black but i dont know how it would corrode them
You can't dye something white. You can bleach it. Most all fabric used for anything is bleached. That's not the issue. The dye that is added afterwards to make it black is acidic. It will and does corrode a little in addition to the friction caused by the tape. Colored tape in general will wear your gloves out, black will do it fastest.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 06:04 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
The way I see it, weight isn't everything. If adding the tape improves performance in some way, those benefits can outweigh lightness. And the weight of the knob of tape is totally insignificant compared to the same weight of tape on the blade. It's simple physics. And to end it off, a $200 stick with tape is still lighter than a wooden stick with tape.
I know what your saying on some levels.
have you seen the way luke schenn tapes his stick like a goalie stick.

Jason Blake doesn't use much of a knob at all but tapes a good 2 ft down from the top.
It's a mater of what makes sense to the person who is using the stick.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 03:58 AM
TBLfan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TBLfan

I use a small knob and the tape doesn't extend much farther than how much stick the glove actually touches. I hold the knob with my ring finger, my pinkie finger is off the stick.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 04:59 AM
LTNINGFan

Send a message via AIM to LTNINGFan Send a message via Yahoo to LTNINGFan
The amount of tape I use on the butt-end depends on the weight of the stick. I generally use wood, so I don't want to add 5 pounds of tape onto an already heavy stick

LTNINGFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 11:14 AM
Green13

To me, I find sundin's butt end taping perfect.

Kaberle also tapes his stick way down, dont know why.

I find taping alot makes the stick thicker and I like thin shafts so I can put my whole fist comfortably over it.

Wow that sounded gay.

Green13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 02:36 PM
Carboneer

... its not an option to tape the top of your stick, its a rule... the ref can give you a 2 minute penalty and make you tape it.... you dont need much tape if you dont like it thats what I do (just put a thin layer of tape on the knob). I think the reason for this is that one-pieces have hollow ends and if you hit someone witht he end of your stick it wont cause injuries as much maybe??

ANyways, all you need to make sure of is that you cant see the stick when you look at it from the top, it HAS to be covered.... its kind of a dumb rule if you ask me, but its the same thing once I got a 2 minute penalty because the red saw that the little zippers inside the legs on my pants were undone... actually they were broken off, and I had to use someone else's backup pair or else I would not have been allowed playing.

These are the rules for Junior hockey in the province of Quebec, often enough you will never even get called for these things, its just the ******* refs that do it.

hope this helps

Carboneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 04:33 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I just make a little knob out of tape, not a fan of bigger knobs or anything that's going to make it that much heavier.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 06:18 PM
densetsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carboneer View Post
ANyways, all you need to make sure of is that you cant see the stick when you look at it from the top, it HAS to be covered.... its kind of a dumb rule if you ask me, but its the same thing once I got a 2 minute penalty because the red saw that the little zippers inside the legs on my pants were undone... actually they were broken off, and I had to use someone else's backup pair or else I would not have been allowed playing.
Speaking of dumb rules... four or five guys on one of my teams tie laces around their socks instead of using sock tape. They just use the same knot you use to tie your shoes. In the second intermission the ref gave us a stern warning, saying "they have to be tied tighter, otherwise a stick blade can get caught in there, causing the lace to come undone. If the lace falls on the ice, it poses a safety risk if another player steps on it and loses an edge."

Seriously? I think these refs are just pulling rules outta their butt to go on a power trip.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 02:39 PM
TBLfan

It's not a stupid rule. You cap and tape the cap in place to avoid injuries.

http://ksax.com/article/stories/S372698.shtml?cat=10230

Old
03-08-2009, 03:25 PM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by densetsu View Post
Speaking of dumb rules... four or five guys on one of my teams tie laces around their socks instead of using sock tape. They just use the same knot you use to tie your shoes. In the second intermission the ref gave us a stern warning, saying "they have to be tied tighter, otherwise a stick blade can get caught in there, causing the lace to come undone. If the lace falls on the ice, it poses a safety risk if another player steps on it and loses an edge."

Seriously? I think these refs are just pulling rules outta their butt to go on a power trip.
Who the hell uses shoe laces to hold up your shin pads?

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 10:49 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post

I use a small knob and the tape doesn't extend much farther than how much stick the glove actually touches. I hold the knob with my ring finger, my pinkie finger is off the stick.
I do this too, with the pinky, however I dont use tape, I use a white tackimac butt end thingy. (this: http://www.tackimac.com/shoppingcart...edwrapped.html)

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 03:00 PM
TBLfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin Steve View Post
I do this too, with the pinky, however I dont use tape, I use a white tackimac butt end thingy. (this: http://www.tackimac.com/shoppingcart...edwrapped.html)
I have tried two tacimacs and just cant get used to the feel. I've tried modifying them too and still, no good.

Old
03-09-2009, 03:44 PM
LarryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
Could it be a fashion statement like the laces on Ovechkin's pants that dangle down below his knees?

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 06:21 PM
SirJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
Could it be a fashion statement like the laces on Ovechkin's pants that dangle down below his knees?
Saves $$$ on tape. I also think it's a Minnesota thing.

SirJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 09:51 PM
Dr Maclean

Quote:
Originally Posted by densetsu View Post
I always taped the handle because of tradition... my dad did it, my brother did it, all my teammates did it, so I did it. My idea was always that the tape absorbed sweat from the glove, so the top hand wasn't slipping around.

These days I use grip tape (this stuff). I love this stuff, only issue I've had is that every few tape jobs, this stuff wanders down the shaft. To fix that, when using the grip tape I leave a half-inch gap at the top of the stick. Then I wrap regular hockey tape around and around the top to form a knob and hold the grip tape in place.
Man I love that stuff I use it on everything now. Just put a nice thin layer of normal tape and put that stuff over it and it improves the grip by 100%. It's funny tho nobody on my team uses the stuff and I don't see very many people use it.

Dr Maclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 11:45 AM
StrykerB

Tacki-Macs or Oggie Grips are the way to go. They both have benefits but also some drawbacks over tape.

Tacki-Mac Benefits:
1. Won't wear your gloves as quick.
2. Consistent grip every time.
3. The wetter it gets, the more it grips.
Tacki-Mac Drawbacks:
1. Harder to install than tape.
2. No flex to fine tune your stick.

Oggie Grip Benefits:
1. Won't wear your gloves as quick.
2. Consistent grip every time.
3. Flex that allows you to fine tune your stick.
4. One grip is curved to fit your hand better
Oggie Grip Drawbacks:
1. Harder to install than tape.
2. Limited to only two shapes.
3. Have to cut your stick unless you have a short backup stick.

Both have a lot of NHL players starting to use them.

StrykerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 09:35 AM
gintonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
My thought precisely. Never saw anyone do that, nor do I even think it a good idea.

gintonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 09:29 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by gintonic View Post
My thought precisely. Never saw anyone do that, nor do I even think it a good idea.
I've seen someone criss-cross skate laces to hold their shinguards on, they did this over their hockey socks.

Apparently they forgot to bring tape and this worked for them.

Okay onto the glove wear in the palm from tape business ....

I have not tried the tacki-Mac stuff or similar products like the Oggie grip. I am not sure if I would like it as i have used this tape job my whole life and doubt i could ever get used to anything different.

I twist up a string of tape and make a criss-cross pattern and then tape over it with white tape like this ....

the solution that works for me to keep gloves healthy on the palm of your knob hand is to contact cement a leather patch onto the palm when the gloves are brand new .... this isn't a repair but instead preventive maintenance.

I have had to buy 2 pair of gloves a year until I did this, now they last for as long as it takes for the finger surfaces to wear holes in them. They last much much longer this way.

I buy lambskin leather or soft leather used in work gloves or gardening gloves.

When this leather patch wears thin I peel it off and glue another in its spot. I use 3M Super77 found at any Home Depot and most hardware stores.

I've seen the gloves the QMJHL MAINEiacs use and they all have the eqipment guy stitch a tough kind of fabric type stuff on there instead of leather. i am not sure what the stuff is they use but it feels kind of rough yet soft.

I guess you could use whatever you wish to for this type of thing. Leather works for me and the super soft leather like lambskin is great for keeping the feel as it is thin.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 11:48 PM
CanadaBacon

I tape the butt like this

hs.jpg

click on it to make it bigger if you want

Last edited by CanadaBacon: 11-19-2009 at 11:56 PM.
CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 10:04 AM
CanFan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green13 View Post
To me, I find sundin's butt end taping perfect.

Kaberle also tapes his stick way down, dont know why.

I find taping alot makes the stick thicker and I like thin shafts so I can put my whole fist comfortably over it.

Wow that sounded gay.
Just read this thread...this comment made me LOL at work! I tried Tacki-Mac attack pads and they are really good for ballhockey (for the blade of the stick), but I would use tape on the ice. Also, the Tacki-Mac grip is heavy but the grip is awesome. I use it on my two piece One95 and when I switch to my X60 with regular tape the grip feels a lot different.

Just my 2 cents...

CanFan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 06:41 PM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

I tape my stick like this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSvx9usM0NM

I don't leave much of a knob, but I like having one there just so I know where my top hand is without having to look. Kinda like the little bumps on the F and J keys on my keyboard--probably not 100% necessary but still useful.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Pens95
Rookie User

It good to tape a grip because no all stick have sticky stuff and if you drop your stick you can pick it up. It sounds like you guys want to waste a $200-$400 stick because A your stick can chip and let water and B how can you grip a puck without any tape and to take a shot.
I pearsonoly I tape my grip every 3-5 times I use it and I retake my blade every 1-3 times I use. When you get in the NHL and get 20-40 sticks a year then you don't have to put tape. I know an NHL player and he said he doesnt care how many sticks he has, he still uses the same stick like he's married to it.

Here's a story" Your on a break-away in overtime in game 7 an you going to do a move, you go from your forehand to backhand the all of a sudden the puck slides off of your stick because you have not tape on the blade. Then the opposing d-man get the puck and dumps the puck to center ice and his teammate is third he goes a break-away then scores on the same move you try to do and you go to the bench and your coach tells you your done. Everyone was happy on your team then got upset at you then that puts a bad tatto on hockey career.

Last edited by Pens95: 07-06-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Pens95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:59 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Wow. It's not that black tape eats up your palms quicker than white tape. It's that black tape leaves black residue on the palms so that they look dirty and gross after a few uses. If you only ever used white tape on your handles, the palms of your gloves would LOOK fresher/cleaner. The palm breaks down at the exact same rate regardless. I call utter BS on the 'acidic dye' theory. People who are adamant about only using white tape on their handle, for whatever reason, have simply heard a version of 'colored tape messes up your palms' (as in makes them look dirty) that has been distorted through a broad game of telephone.

Last edited by SERE 24: 07-07-2012 at 12:04 AM.
SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:21 AM
stocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens95 View Post
It good to tape a grip because no all stick have sticky stuff and if you drop your stick you can pick it up. It sounds like you guys want to waste a $200-$400 stick because A your stick can chip and let water and B how can you grip a puck without any tape and to take a shot.
I pearsonoly I tape my grip every 3-5 times I use it and I retake my blade every 1-3 times I use. When you get in the NHL and get 20-40 sticks a year then you don't have to put tape. I know an NHL player and he said he doesnt care how many sticks he has, he still uses the same stick like he's married to it.

Here's a story" Your on a break-away in overtime in game 7 an you going to do a move, you go from your forehand to backhand the all of a sudden the puck slides off of your stick because you have not tape on the blade. Then the opposing d-man get the puck and dumps the puck to center ice and his teammate is third he goes a break-away then scores on the same move you try to do and you go to the bench and your coach tells you your done. Everyone was happy on your team then got upset at you then that puts a bad tatto on hockey career.
Holy necro post.

stocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 02:34 AM
Phil Connors*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens95 View Post

Ooo, he story tells good.

Phil Connors* is offline   Reply With Quote