HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patrick O'Sullivan to Edmonton; Justin Williams to LA (3-way Trade)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-05-2009, 07:07 PM
  #401
HYORI 1963
Grit & Character
 
HYORI 1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange County CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by grncobra76 View Post
Again T is correct.
This is what I like, WHEN Williams comes back from his injuries:

Proven 30 goal scorer with a ring, produces points in playoff games/reg games.
vs.
Potential 25-30 goal scorer, never played one NHL playoff game.

I'll take Williams.
So by your argument, we should trade someone like JJ for Beauchemin.

Beauchemin is a proven 20 assists player with a ring
vs.
JJ has never had more than 8 assists and has never played an NHL playoff game.

And don't forget the 2nd round pick.

Sully, Moller and Simmonds were all taken with mid to late second round picks.

HYORI 1963 is offline  
Old
03-05-2009, 07:28 PM
  #402
LAX attack*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Danger Zone
Country: United States
Posts: 14,543
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
I hope you guys know that Sully is only 3 years younger than Williams, and they have roughly the same terms of contract

Have you guys so gone away with the rebuild that you shun real veteran players?

LAX attack* is offline  
Old
03-05-2009, 08:10 PM
  #403
VictoryRose
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
I guess that would depend on one's evaluation of Sully. IMO, Sully will put up similar numbers to that of Williams if not better. However, Williams does bring other intangibles that we sorely need. But then again, he's been a victim of the injury bug.

Only the future will tell but I like Williams and can't wait for him to be inserted into the lineup. I'm looking forward to the game against the oilers on april 7th. I've been hearing that Williams should be ready mid to late march so, he should be available for the oilers game I would imagine.
You're the guy that said Sully would be a PPG player, right?

Just want to be sure.

VictoryRose is offline  
Old
03-05-2009, 08:17 PM
  #404
HYORI 1963
Grit & Character
 
HYORI 1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange County CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryRose View Post
You're the guy that said Sully would be a PPG player, right?

Just want to be sure.
Yep, that would be correct.

HYORI 1963 is offline  
Old
03-05-2009, 09:51 PM
  #405
jt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Orange County
Country: Norway
Posts: 963
vCash: 500
I was doing too much other stuff yesterday to watch the NHL Network coverage of the deals but here are the comments from their guys:

Bill Clement: It's (the trade) everybody getting something that they really cherish. The Canes are getting help they need right now to get into the playoffs. The Kings covet Justin Williams because their management know him and they got him for his leadership in the future because they have such a young team. The Oilers are looking for some pop right now because Cole wasn't producing.

Eric Duhatschek: Williams is the ultimate key to this deal. When I look at the Kings I think they're on the cusp of greatness. They've done a real nice job of developing those young players, but they do not have the leadership necessary to take them to the next level. One of the things they've done in the past is bring in guys like Handzus and Calder because they knew they didn't have that commodity. Williams has a connection with Hextall, Lombardi and Murray. They drafted him and he played in the NHL as a teenager, and the know what he brings in terms of intangibles. The risk is whether he gets his health back. Apart from Steve Sullivan there hasn't been a guy who's had more bad luck with injuries the last couple years.

Craig Button: This is a player they know intimately in LA. He's a better fit. They were trying to move O'Sullivan around the lineup. While he's got the skill, Edmonton is going to put him right at center with Hemsky.

Gary Green: Do you think it's got something to do with the fact that Terry Murray likes guys who are responsible defensively?

Button: Yep.

========================================

About 15 minutes later Jim Rutherford came on:

Rutherford: This came up in the last couple of days. It's tough to move a guy like Justin Williams, just as it was when we moved Eric Cole. With Justin not gonna be back for a couple weeks, we thought it was important to add a player.

Button: What was it this year about Cole that made you want him back?

Rutherford: Nothing this year, he's been really inconsistent. But we know him well and he has great chemistry with Staal. We're trading for a player we know and we're trading a player who's been injured a couple years, which is unfortunate because Justin is a heckuva player and he'll rebound and become a good player again. But we're at a critical time of the season and we need a boost now.

jt is offline  
Old
03-05-2009, 10:32 PM
  #406
tantrum4*
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
So by your argument, we should trade someone like JJ for Beauchemin.

Beauchemin is a proven 20 assists player with a ring
vs.
JJ has never had more than 8 assists and has never played an NHL playoff game.

And don't forget the 2nd round pick.

Sully, Moller and Simmonds were all taken with mid to late second round picks.

HA, HA! You're comparing O'Sullivan to Jack Johnson and Williams to Beachemin?? ...come on man, you can do better than that

tantrum4* is offline  
Old
03-05-2009, 10:44 PM
  #407
Prince
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 501
vCash: 500
Interesting article from the Edmonton Journal about possible reason for DL to trade POS.

http://communities.canada.com/edmont...-lombardi.aspx

Prince is offline  
Old
03-05-2009, 11:14 PM
  #408
grncobra76
Registered User
 
grncobra76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Upland
Posts: 511
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
So by your argument, we should trade someone like JJ for Beauchemin.

Beauchemin is a proven 20 assists player with a ring
vs.
JJ has never had more than 8 assists and has never played an NHL playoff game.

And don't forget the 2nd round pick.

Sully, Moller and Simmonds were all taken with mid to late second round picks.
No I am comparing Williams to O'Sullivan.

grncobra76 is offline  
Old
03-06-2009, 12:22 AM
  #409
LA Kings Cup Champs
Registered User
 
LA Kings Cup Champs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: KINGS of Hockey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy Squid View Post
Zeus says hi!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
Up yours Zeus. Get better.
Zeus says "**** you!"

LA Kings Cup Champs is offline  
Old
03-06-2009, 12:29 AM
  #410
HYORI 1963
Grit & Character
 
HYORI 1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange County CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by grncobra76 View Post
No I am comparing Williams to O'Sullivan.
Yeah but your argument was that Williams had a ring and was a better scorer so, I gave you another example where Beauchemin has a ring and a better scorer than JJ.

Willimas brings intangibles to the kings. As far as scoring goes, sure Williams' has had more goals in a season but Sully hasn't had 2 full seasons yet so, it's kind of an unfair comparison imo that's all.

HYORI 1963 is offline  
Old
03-06-2009, 12:32 AM
  #411
grncobra76
Registered User
 
grncobra76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Upland
Posts: 511
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Yeah but your argument was that Williams had a ring and was a better scorer so, I gave you another example where Beauchemin has a ring and a better scorer than JJ.

Willimas brings intangibles to the kings. As far as scoring goes, sure Williams' has had more goals in a season but Sully hasn't had 2 full seasons yet so, it's kind of an unfair comparison imo that's all.
Ahh what is the use, I am for the trade you are not.
We are Kings fans, I don't want to argue because arguing on a message board is pointless.
Have a nice weekend.

grncobra76 is offline  
Old
03-07-2009, 12:55 AM
  #412
RonSwanson*
Gadfly
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Food 'N Stuff
Country: United States
Posts: 8,769
vCash: 500
I want to go on record saying that I love this trade.

RonSwanson* is offline  
Old
03-07-2009, 04:55 AM
  #413
aegwillnotwinthecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 4,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
I want to go on record saying that I love this trade.
Me too.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline  
Old
03-07-2009, 09:49 AM
  #414
123slam
Registered User
 
123slam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
I want to go on record saying that I love this trade.
Me three. I'.m ecstatic about it.

123slam is offline  
Old
03-07-2009, 11:24 AM
  #415
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
Until Williams can prove that his injury prone tag is not warranted I cannot give this trade any positive feedback.

Captain Ron is offline  
Old
03-07-2009, 11:51 AM
  #416
damagecontrol85
Registered User
 
damagecontrol85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Fernando Valley
Country: United States
Posts: 167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Until Williams can prove that his injury prone tag is not warranted I cannot give this trade any positive feedback.
Three DIFFERENT injuries... the latest being a slapshot off his hand. I really, truly fail to see how people are calling this guy "injury-prone". Yes, he has had three consecutive injuries that have sidelined him, but this is not a chronic injury that will plague him the rest of his career. Handzus tore his ACL and we signed him and look how he's doing. He's practically our best player in terms of overall game. JW tore his ACL over a year ago, insists he is recovered, and has been thoroughly checked out by the KINGS' medical team to ensure that he is worth the multi-million dollar investment.

I think DL and the Kings would have stayed away if they didn't truly believe that this guy is gonna be healthy once his broken finger mends. I expect Williams to be a HUGE boost to this team, and actually wouldn't mind seeing him with the "C" if there was a diplomatic way to transfer it from Brownie without him getting butt-hurt.

damagecontrol85 is offline  
Old
03-07-2009, 12:05 PM
  #417
SFKingshomer
Registered User
 
SFKingshomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sioux Falls
Posts: 5,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Until Williams can prove that his injury prone tag is not warranted I cannot give this trade any positive feedback.
Until O'Sullivan matures as a person and quits leading the league in shots off a defensemans shin, same ****....

SFKingshomer is offline  
Old
03-07-2009, 12:50 PM
  #418
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 27,097
vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I say we wait till Williams is on the ice.

__________________

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline  
Old
03-07-2009, 12:53 PM
  #419
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
Until O'Sullivan matures as a person and quits leading the league in shots off a defensemans shin, same ****....
I am willing to bet money that you were bet money that you were one of his biggest supporters when the Kings traded for him......Now that he is gone you act like he was one of the worst players to ever wear a Kings uniform. That is typical of many of the fans on this site.

Captain Ron is offline  
Old
03-07-2009, 01:44 PM
  #420
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LA
Country: United States
Posts: 32,514
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Now that he is gone you act like he was one of the worst players to ever wear a Kings uniform. That is typical of many of the fans on this site.
What it is, is ****ing embarassing.

Just a joke.

Live in the Now is online now  
Old
03-07-2009, 01:48 PM
  #421
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 27,097
vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Let's take a look at our new player. Man he has one hell of a shot, that is all I have to say...

I hope he does this against Montreal in a Kings uniform.


Scores two shorthanded goals in a game.




Game 3 of the Playoffs against the Devils:



Another look at that sniper shot of his:



And of course his most famous goal, the Stanley Cup clinching goal in game 7 vs the Oilers: (@ about 1:30 in)


Telos is offline  
Old
03-07-2009, 01:53 PM
  #422
Willard
Kings All The Way
 
Willard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Just Off Highway 1
Posts: 2,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123slam View Post
Me three. I'.m ecstatic about it.
Me four. I liked it the instant that I saw it. I know what Justin Williams can do. I pumped my fist and did a "Yeah!" when I read it.

Willard is offline  
Old
03-07-2009, 01:56 PM
  #423
kingpest19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,089
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
I am willing to bet money that you were bet money that you were one of his biggest supporters when the Kings traded for him......Now that he is gone you act like he was one of the worst players to ever wear a Kings uniform. That is typical of many of the fans on this site.
Just like trading potential for proven hurts the team right? Sully was a good young player but it seems like he hit a plateau this year and was getting away from the little things. Some are acting like DL traded Sully for some scrub player when he traded him for a 30 goal scorer whos been through wringer of the SC playoffs. A type of player the Kings have very few of.

kingpest19 is offline  
Old
03-07-2009, 01:59 PM
  #424
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 27,097
vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I don't think we can shun anyone that has had their name screamed over a microphone followed by "has won the Stanley Cup!" in a game 7 ... "Justin Williams has won the Stanley Cup for the Los Angeles Kings!" ... has a nice ring to it =D Either way, let's not argue the subject anymore and reserve our judgment for the off-season after we have seen him play in LA.

Telos is offline  
Old
03-07-2009, 02:56 PM
  #425
Roxo
Registered User
 
Roxo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Pearl Harbor, HI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,292
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Roxo
Rich reports that he's closer to 5-11... how much bigger did we get?

Roxo is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.