HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Rule question - taping of stick

Old
03-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Cams

vCash: 500
Rule question - taping of stick

Is there a rule that states a player has to use a minimum amount of tape on the stick blade? As far as I can remember seeing, I don't recall a player ever NOT using tape on their blade. The reason I ask, is that if you look at footage of Bobby Orr, he only uses a couple wraps on his stick blade. Nowadays, it seems the majority of players tape most, if not all, of their blades.

Thanks!

Cams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 03:31 PM
K-PAX*

This is no rule that says you must have tape on the blade of your stick.

K-PAX* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 03:46 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 50
there is a story about some NHL coach that had a rule about tape and insisted all his players use it.

one of his players hated tape but had to use it or the coach would not play him or something like that so the player would put one strip down the front and wrap to where he started the wrap 1 little stripe so he would comply with the coaches rule and play.

it's on the internet if I can find it I'll post it.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 04:30 PM
e2Bruins

There wasn't a rule for Orr

e2Bruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 07:23 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

It's not a rule, but the thing is, the puck just feels weird hitting your stick with no tape on it.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 09:22 AM
GuitarAwesome

Peter Shaeffer (dammit, does anyone even know how to spell his name) routinely did the Bobby Orr tape up. A few other players do too.
I've seen people use no tape, but thats just silly.

GuitarAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 03:07 PM
the_pen_is_mightier

No tape sucks for what most people use: composite.

the_pen_is_mightier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 05:39 PM
LarryO

In fact, Bobby Orr once said that the only reason he had one strip of tape was because he thought having no tape was against the rules.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 08:35 AM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
In fact, Bobby Orr once said that the only reason he had one strip of tape was because he thought having no tape was against the rules.
Hell I remember back in the day, we thought Bobby was doing a fashion statement. So we all taped our stick that way because it looked cool. Kind of like the "great one" leaving half his jersey tucked out in the late 80's.

In the 90's, I invented a rubberized spray that you apply to your blade. I didn't sell a whole lot of cans, so I dropped the line. I think that hockey players have a love relationship with their tape that is hard to break.

One of the things that we have gotten away from is waxing the tape. I think they still do this in Canada, but I don't see a whole lot of kids doing that here in the U.S.

Do you guys wax your blade?

Head coach

03-04-2009, 08:45 AM
TonyTinglebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Hell I remember back in the day, we thought Bobby was doing a fashion statement. So we all taped our stick that way because it looked cool. Kind of like the "great one" leaving half his jersey tucked out in the late 80's.

In the 90's, I invented a rubberized spray that you apply to your blade. I didn't sell a whole lot of cans, so I dropped the line. I think that hockey players have a love relationship with their tape that is hard to break.

One of the things that we have gotten away from is waxing the tape. I think they still do this in Canada, but I don't see a whole lot of kids doing that here in the U.S.

Head coach
Everyone I have ever played with or coached uses some form of wax on their blade. There was actually just a thread regarding it recently.

I also agree with the fact tha hockey players love their tape and I find taping your stick to be something personal. I never feel comfortable when someone else tapes my stick.

TonyTinglebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 12:05 PM
RobertKron

Quote:

Head coach
I'm up in Canada and I wax my blade. I use wood blades, and feel that waxing should help waterproof them a bit and help the blade last longer. I don't have any quantifiable evidence, but I do notice more snow buildup with a waxed blade, which leads me to believe that less of it is soaking in.

Also, yeah, stick taping is all about the ritual.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 10:03 PM
XweekendwarriorX

i use blade butter. i just find it better than regular wax i also like to put a thick coat on and rub it in between the strips of tape so water does not leak in.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:51 PM
noobman

I used to do three long stripes across the forehand and backhand of the stick (horizontally, not vertically). It wasn't too bad, but I found that I chewed out the bottom of my sticks pretty quickly.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 10:47 AM
RaoulDuke2k

Somebody just gave me Sex Wax hockey formula - I like it. It's kinda tacky and makes my tape last for awhile.

RaoulDuke2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:15 AM
NewFang

Is there any rule about how big the knob can be?

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 12:07 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I'm American and I endorse the use of stick wax .

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 12:30 PM
densetsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
I used to do three long stripes across the forehand and backhand of the stick (horizontally, not vertically). It wasn't too bad, but I found that I chewed out the bottom of my sticks pretty quickly.
Eric Cole does it that way... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPglivB0VcU

Though with the cash he makes, he probably doesn't care that it chews out the bottom of his blade.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 08:10 AM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Quote:

Head coach
Always.

I usually go through 2 chunks of wax a season.

03-07-2009, 07:49 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by densetsu View Post
Eric Cole does it that way... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPglivB0VcU

Though with the cash he makes, he probably doesn't care that it chews out the bottom of his blade.
Holy toe curve where can I get my hands on one of those?

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 09:13 PM
Canad93

I'm up in Canada and I use wax...

Occasionally in the past I have also gone tapeless with composites; some sport shops sell rubber sticker like things that cover the stick and provide grip; only down side is that the bottom gets chewed quite a bit.

Canad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 03:21 AM
ClicheGuevara

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
Holy toe curve where can I get my hands on one of those?
The closest I've ever seen to that in a retail curve would be Warrior's Smyth curve. Though it looks like the Smyth is a little closer to the middle than Cole's. Also did anybody else watch the Pat Kane clip under Related Videos? That blade is huuuuge.

As for wax, I use a ton of it. Our shop received some samples from a company called Alaska Bear Grease. They use Scott Gomez's name and mug all over. Anyhow it's a lot less chunky than other wax I've used, kinda greasy really, plus every time I open my stickbag it smells like Pina Coladas (and getting caught in the rain). Stuff rules.

ClicheGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 04:01 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
There is no rule on tape, but If you don't do it you get much less spin on the puck and your blade and thus expensive stick will die.

No rule on knobs either.

Local leagues may have rules on color, but if you stick to black or white you'll always be fine. (and use white for the knob- your gloves will thank you)

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote