HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

The CIS University Cup

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-07-2009, 12:21 AM
  #76
Rob
Registered User
 
Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
McGill becomes the 4th team to book their trip to TBay...they got two early 3rd period goals to defeat UQTR 2-1 and sweep the series in 2 straight...they move onto the Queens Cup against the winner of Laurier/Western, which resumes tomorrow night with Western up 1-0....
Bit of an upset if the regular season was any indication.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 10:49 AM
  #77
UNB Bruins Fan
Registered User
 
UNB Bruins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,178
vCash: 500
Maybe so...but McGill really came on at the end of the season after starting out so bad and UQTR struggled after starting out so good...so it is not terribly surprising...

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 09:53 PM
  #78
UNB Bruins Fan
Registered User
 
UNB Bruins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,178
vCash: 500
Western is the 5th team in after a 3-2 victory over Laurier...they sweep the series in two straight and will face McGill for the OUA championship next weekend. So the top two OUA teams from the regular season fail to make Nationals....just waiting on the CW winner to round out the field...

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 10:26 PM
  #79
austrooper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 342
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
Western is the 5th team in after a 3-2 victory over Laurier...they sweep the series in two straight and will face McGill for the OUA championship next weekend. So the top two OUA teams from the regular season fail to make Nationals....just waiting on the CW winner to round out the field...

No great surprise either way....McGill has a lot of character guys and they proved that year beating Moncton they way they did....Trois Rivieres just the opposite.....they play when the mood strikes them...too many lay-me-downs in past nationals to generate much enthusiasm for that program. Western traditionally plays with an edge so will be interesting for teams facing this group at the nationals, particularly with the tourney being in Ontario...UNB vs. Saint Mary's means a lot when you consider the seeding repercussions...avoid Alberta and Western at all costs...too bad they couldn't play a best-of-five...can't see why the AUS doesn't play both semi and final in that format....make some money and generate more enthusiasm for the level....

austrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 10:34 PM
  #80
timbitca
Registered User
 
timbitca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: JLL Press Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by austrooper View Post
No great surprise either way....McGill has a lot of character guys and they proved that year beating Moncton they way they did....Trois Rivieres just the opposite.....they play when the mood strikes them...too many lay-me-downs in past nationals to generate much enthusiasm for that program. Western traditionally plays with an edge so will be interesting for teams facing this group at the nationals, particularly with the tourney being in Ontario...UNB vs. Saint Mary's means a lot when you consider the seeding repercussions...avoid Alberta and Western at all costs...too bad they couldn't play a best-of-five...can't see why the AUS doesn't play both semi and final in that format....make some money and generate more enthusiasm for the level....
It's so both teams don't arrive at the Nationals after (possibly) having battled each other to death in a 5 game series that ultimately doesn't have much meaning other than who to give the trophy to. You want both of your teams to make it to Nationals as fresh as possible to better represent your conference.

And sure, seeding at Nationals is important, but it's not everything. Honestly, look at the UNB - Saskatchewan game last year, everyone was pumped about how great the game would be, and Saskatchewan turned in one of the worse performances of the tournament (possibly tied with our game against McGill ) And I also didn't give us much of a chance to beat Alberta on the first day of competition either. So yeah, seeding may be important, but funny things happen in these 'one game' tournaments.

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 10:36 PM
  #81
UNB Bruins Fan
Registered User
 
UNB Bruins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by austrooper View Post
can't see why the AUS doesn't play both semi and final in that format....make some money and generate more enthusiasm for the level....
I don't know either...but remember, neither the OUA and CW have any best of 5 rounds...granted the travel for those teams is much much greater than for AUS teams

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 10:41 PM
  #82
UNB Bruins Fan
Registered User
 
UNB Bruins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
It's so both teams don't arrive at the Nationals after (possibly) having battled each other to death in a 5 game series that ultimately doesn't have much meaning other than who to give the trophy to. You want both of your teams to make it to Nationals as fresh as possible to better represent your conference.

And sure, seeding at Nationals is important, but it's not everything. Honestly, look at the UNB - Saskatchewan game last year, everyone was pumped about how great the game would be, and Saskatchewan turned in one of the worse performances of the tournament (possibly tied with our game against McGill ) And I also didn't give us much of a chance to beat Alberta on the first day of competition either. So yeah, seeding may be important, but funny things happen in these 'one game' tournaments.
Good point...UNB won as a 5th seed and lost as a #1 seed...at this point of the year every team left is obviously very good and fairly close to one another talent-wise....anything can, and usually does, happen

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 11:56 PM
  #83
austrooper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 342
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
It's so both teams don't arrive at the Nationals after (possibly) having battled each other to death in a 5 game series that ultimately doesn't have much meaning other than who to give the trophy to. You want both of your teams to make it to Nationals as fresh as possible to better represent your conference.

And sure, seeding at Nationals is important, but it's not everything. Honestly, look at the UNB - Saskatchewan game last year, everyone was pumped about how great the game would be, and Saskatchewan turned in one of the worse performances of the tournament (possibly tied with our game against McGill ) And I also didn't give us much of a chance to beat Alberta on the first day of competition either. So yeah, seeding may be important, but funny things happen in these 'one game' tournaments.


Timbit, I appreciate the sentiment about not wanting to beat each other up. But heck, it's hockey and while the nationals are something to aspire to, to me the big deal is the conference (hyou play against those guys all year, why shoudn't it have more meaning? especially if you're trying to sell the level....look at the Q, they play best-of-sevens because they know it generates interest, it sells and it brings in dollars.......as you indicate, too many weird things happen in a sudden-death situation which is basically what the nationals are all about..they manipulate the seedings and/or sked to suit the format and best sell it to the local market, in this case, Thunder Bay...I just think there are many concessions made for the sake of a national tournament.........a program is only as good as its conference....you're trying to cultivate fans and the best way of doing that is through playoffs...look at the pros and cons of a best of five opposed to a best of three.....the only con is, like you suggest, possible injuries through a five game series.....2 weeks off is not a good thing...play a best of five starting this wednesday, friday, sunday, wednesday, friday......finishing on March 20......nationals begin the following thursday.....not particularly overly taxing.....think of money being generated in a best of five........think of the interest generated for university hockey.....anything to get the attention of the buying public

austrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 12:30 AM
  #84
toxic rd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 70
vCash: 500
I hope Western gets embarrassed in TBay

Any team that deliberately spears Mark Voakes' knee doesnt deserve to play in the National Championsip. Voakes was told he'd be out 6-12 weeks after his knee injury and he comes back to play ONE week later, what does Western do? Slash it, chop it, slewfoot it, and yes, deliberately SPEARED it twice behind the back of the referee

As embarrassing a display of hockey as i have ever seen. There was a bench clearing scrum at the end and thankfully Luke Girard one-shotted one of the Western pukes, rightfully so given what the refs were letting them get away with (slash to the face of Nick Vergeer, back-to-back crosschecks in the corner in one shift)

Western fans piss me off, they act so entitled to everything that comes their way, it will be so nice to scoop up the gallons of tears they shed when Alberta makes them look like a High School Womens team

Also, a road to the championships consisting of Guelph and York is hardly fair, thankfully the CIS and OUA have wised up to their incalculable idiocy and will change the format (a bit) next year

GO REDS
GO HUSKIES
GO REDMEN
GO GOLDEN BEARS
GO THUNDERWOLVES
******* YOU WESTERN U

toxic rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 08:19 AM
  #85
kexodusc
 
kexodusc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by austrooper View Post
Timbit, I appreciate the sentiment about not wanting to beat each other up. But heck, it's hockey and while the nationals are something to aspire to, to me the big deal is the conference (hyou play against those guys all year, why shoudn't it have more meaning? especially if you're trying to sell the level....look at the Q, they play best-of-sevens because they know it generates interest, it sells and it brings in dollars.......as you indicate, too many weird things happen in a sudden-death situation which is basically what the nationals are all about..they manipulate the seedings and/or sked to suit the format and best sell it to the local market, in this case, Thunder Bay...I just think there are many concessions made for the sake of a national tournament.........a program is only as good as its conference....you're trying to cultivate fans and the best way of doing that is through playoffs...look at the pros and cons of a best of five opposed to a best of three.....the only con is, like you suggest, possible injuries through a five game series.....2 weeks off is not a good thing...play a best of five starting this wednesday, friday, sunday, wednesday, friday......finishing on March 20......nationals begin the following thursday.....not particularly overly taxing.....think of money being generated in a best of five........think of the interest generated for university hockey.....anything to get the attention of the buying public
I'm almost in agreement with you about the conference being more important...almost. Most years you've got to win the conference to go anyway. But I think most people would rather have the National Championship banner than the conference banner even if it is a flawed tournament. It's just a bit more elusive and special.

Historically, the best teams entering Nationals don't win it...just looking at the last 5 years, Alberta at UNB in 2004, Moncton in 2007, UNB in 2008 all came up short. But that unpredictability also makes it fun.

At the end of the day, you have to be good to make it there, lucky to win it, and every team that wins it is deserving.

As for the importance of the AUS final and the pools this year - if you're of the opinion that the road to the Championship goes through Alberta regardless, then it would probably be in UNB's best interest to lose vs SMU. If they go in as #1, UNB then would only play Alberta on likely 12 hrs rest Sunday afternoon (a terrible disadvantage for the winner of the evening pool), possibly their 3rd game in less than 3 days, otherwise they could play Alberta with a day of rest earlier in the tournament. There's probably an incentive to avoiding a team that is playing on home ice too (Lakehead).

For SMU, winning it all makes sense - they'd likely go in as #2 in the afternoon pool, avoiding Alberta's pool and getting the full day rest should they make it to Sunday.

Funny how it works.

kexodusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 09:18 AM
  #86
UNB Bruins Fan
Registered User
 
UNB Bruins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kexodusc View Post
If they go in as #1, UNB then would only play Alberta on likely 12 hrs rest Sunday afternoon (a terrible disadvantage for the winner of the evening pool), possibly their 3rd game in less than 3 days, otherwise they could play Alberta with a day of rest earlier in the tournament. There's probably an incentive to avoiding a team that is playing on home ice too (Lakehead).
I know this is really nit picking but..if UNB is 1 and we assume Lakehead is in their pool at 6 UNB would probably play the Thursday night game against the other team in their pool...the only way they would play 3 in 3 is if Lakehead pulls a Moncton from last year and decide to play the first night of the tournement (and even still, they could obviously play UNB that night)....so if UNB made the finals I would think the most likely scenario would be them playing their 3rd game in 4 nights...

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 10:09 AM
  #87
kexodusc
 
kexodusc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
I know this is really nit picking but..if UNB is 1 and we assume Lakehead is in their pool at 6 UNB would probably play the Thursday night game against the other team in their pool...the only way they would play 3 in 3 is if Lakehead pulls a Moncton from last year and decide to play the first night of the tournement (and even still, they could obviously play UNB that night)....so if UNB made the finals I would think the most likely scenario would be them playing their 3rd game in 4 nights...
True..up to Lakehead I guess. You want the two big drawing nights on Friday or Saturday for financial purposes, but if I'm Lakehead's coach and I'm playing to win, I think you give yourself the best chance going on Thursday. Though I know in the past coaches have preferred to play a loser in their first game Friday. I suppose it doesn't matter in the end.

I'd be less worried about the 3 games in 3 days factor than I would the fast turnaround on the last day for the evening pool. That's gonna be hard to get a good night's rest and recover, eat properly, etc. We all remember how drained UNB was after the Alberta game in 2004 when they played StFX.

This is all nitpicky stuff though, it's not a lock UNB will be there Sunday so you have to worry about the first 2 games too. Kinda sucks the #1 seed would have to play Lakehead in their home building but it also sucks from Alberta's perspective that they are going to have to play UNB or SMU who are likely the other top 3 favorites this year to make it to Sunday too, so fair is fair.

kexodusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 11:18 AM
  #88
AUS Fan
Registered User
 
AUS Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: At the Rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,261
vCash: 500
CIS Seeds

Looking over the past couple of years I see that there is a bit of variance from year to year. For example, it looks like the host spot is not always #6. In 2005 and 2006 U of A both hosted and won CW. Both these years U of S was in the 5 -hole presumably as the "host" while Man and Laurier were #6 as wildcards. In Moncton UNB had the #6 host spot in '07, with SFX the #5 wildcard, while in '08 Moncton was the true host at #6 with wildcard U of S at #4.
The only continuity I could see was 1 & 4 in the A pool and 2 & 3 in the B pool. 5 & 6 were interchangable as was the wildcard seeding. There are several scenarios depending on the CW and AUS results. I would like to lay them out but time and space....

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 11:51 AM
  #89
nosl
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nord de l'Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic rd View Post
I hope Western gets embarrassed in TBay

Any team that deliberately spears Mark Voakes' knee doesnt deserve to play in the National Championsip. Voakes was told he'd be out 6-12 weeks after his knee injury and he comes back to play ONE week later, what does Western do? Slash it, chop it, slewfoot it, and yes, deliberately SPEARED it twice behind the back of the referee

As embarrassing a display of hockey as i have ever seen. There was a bench clearing scrum at the end and thankfully Luke Girard one-shotted one of the Western pukes, rightfully so given what the refs were letting them get away with (slash to the face of Nick Vergeer, back-to-back crosschecks in the corner in one shift)

Western fans piss me off, they act so entitled to everything that comes their way, it will be so nice to scoop up the gallons of tears they shed when Alberta makes them look like a High School Womens team

Also, a road to the championships consisting of Guelph and York is hardly fair, thankfully the CIS and OUA have wised up to their incalculable idiocy and will change the format (a bit) next year

GO REDS
GO HUSKIES
GO REDMEN
GO GOLDEN BEARS
GO THUNDERWOLVES
******* YOU WESTERN U
I was visiting London this weekend, and I attended my first CIS hockey game (in the mens circuit). It took a bit of time to get a feel for the game (the first period was kind of dry), but the second & third periods had lots of intensity. The third Western goal was a softy (let in by the Laurier goaltender). Voakes was the target of a few hacks & shots during the game. I agree that the bench clearing was unnecessary.

I think the game would be more enjoyable if it were played in a better facility. Some of the seats in the Thompson Arena (closer to the ice & benches) have obstructed views & it was annoying have to stand up to see some of the play. However, I enjoyed the game and I will be looking forward to watching a University Cup game & the Nipissing Lakers at Memorial Gardens. North Bay hockey fans are going to be in for a treat with CIS Hockey.

nosl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 12:18 PM
  #90
FreddtFoyle
Registered User
 
FreddtFoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
Looking over the past couple of years I see that there is a bit of variance from year to year. For example, it looks like the host spot is not always #6. In 2005 and 2006 U of A both hosted and won CW. Both these years U of S was in the 5 -hole presumably as the "host" while Man and Laurier were #6 as wildcards. In Moncton UNB had the #6 host spot in '07, with SFX the #5 wildcard, while in '08 Moncton was the true host at #6 with wildcard U of S at #4.
The only continuity I could see was 1 & 4 in the A pool and 2 & 3 in the B pool. 5 & 6 were interchangable as was the wildcard seeding. There are several scenarios depending on the CW and AUS results. I would like to lay them out but time and space....

Actually UNB had the 5th seed in 2007 (normally the wildcard spot, but UNB was the AUS runner-up and StFX got the extra spot after the "second-chance" AUS wilcard playoff, so they moved down from wildcard 5th to the host 6th place. If the AUS didn't have the wildcard in 2007, then UNB would have been in the 6th seed host spot (as host UdeM had won the AUS). You're right about last year, since UofS as wildcard normally would have been 5th seed; however I'm guessing that they didn't make UofS 5th seed since they were ranked so much higher that OUA runner-up Brock all season. I think, but I don't know for a fact, that the CIS were embarrassed that they had UNB ranked as 5th seed the year before when they were clearly better than OUA runner-up and 4th seed Laurier. I'm not sure though, and that is up to the host committee to sort out. Bob can speak better to that ...

What we know for sure, per the CIS regs:

"The pools shall be seeded as follows:
a. The three (3) Sport Conference champions will be seeded 1st, 2nd, and 3rd based on their relative national ranking in the final Top Ten of the season.
b. Pool A will have the #1 seed. Pool B will consist of #2 and #3."


So if #1 ranked UNB does win the AUS, they will be automatically seeded #1 in one pool (Pool A) and the Canada West and OUA champs will be in the other (seeded #2 and #3). Lakehead should then get the 6th seed and be in Pool B, which of course is then the evening pool and UNB would be playing in the afternoon.

However, if SMU wins the AUS, and Alberta wins Canada West, than the #2 ranked Bears would be in one pool (Pool A) and seeded #1 and SMU and the OUA champ would be in the other. Since SMU was ranked #4 in the last poll, higher than the two OUA reps (#6 ranked Western and unranked McGill) they would get the #2 seed. The OUA runner-up would then be in Alberta's pool (Pool A), with the champ staying with SMU. Pool B would then normally have 6th seed, host Lakehead (since it is supposed to be #2, #3 and #6). Since host Lakehead gets evenings, Pool A gets afternoons.

Either way you slice it, UNB will be playing in the afternoon pool in Thunder Bay (unless they somehow get Lakehead seeded 5th ...).


Last edited by FreddtFoyle: 03-08-2009 at 12:28 PM.
FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 12:47 PM
  #91
FreddtFoyle
Registered User
 
FreddtFoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,381
vCash: 500
I should add that the CIS regs say that the top seed in each pool play the lowest seed in their pool on the first day of the University Cup.

If Lakehead wants to play Thursday night, they would normally be seeded 5th if they're in Pool A and 6th if they're in Pool B. If they want to open play Friday (which has been the case every year for the host except Moncton last year) then they would, by the rules, need to be seeded 4th by this logic. However, there is a specific rule in this case by the CIS:

"The host team can be scheduled on the evening of Day 1 or Day 2, regardless of their seeding, at the discretion of the Host Committee."

So Lakehead can choose to open Thursday night against the AUS champ or Canada West champ (or Western if they beat McGill and someone upsets Alberta) and get Friday night off, or they can choose like most hosts to wait to play Friday night against the loser in their pool from the Thursday matches. What would you do?

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 01:22 PM
  #92
AUS Fan
Registered User
 
AUS Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: At the Rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
So if #1 ranked UNB does win the AUS, they will be automatically seeded #1 in one pool (Pool A) and the Canada West and OUA champs will be in the other (seeded #2 and #3). Lakehead should then get the 6th seed and be in Pool B......

.
Not quite. Your scenario (CW,OUA1 and Host) in Pool B puts SMU in pool A with UNB and that won't happen. I can't see the AUS wildcard any lower than #4, however in your scenario SMU would be seeded #5/6 in pool B and host #5/6 in pool A. Should SMU win the AUS and UofA win CW then UNB would rightfully be seeded #4 in pool A and SMU #2 in pool B with OUA1 and host. Lakehead will do anything to stay away from UNB and UofA in that other pool.

I don't think it's always 2,3,6 in pool B. '05 and '06 were 2,3,5 if I'm not mistaken, else they just jigged the numbers to fix the situation.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 01:58 PM
  #93
AUS Fan
Registered User
 
AUS Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: At the Rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,261
vCash: 500
Sowing More Seeds

To further muddy the waters, should anyone other than UofA win CW and SMU win AUS, then UNB would not be #4 if SMU is #1. UNB would be 5/6 in pool B with CW and OUA1. Lakehead would be in pool A with SMU and OUA2.

Food for thought....

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 02:21 PM
  #94
Squirrel Forever
Registered User
 
Squirrel Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
To further muddy the waters, should anyone other than UofA win CW and SMU win AUS, then UNB would not be #4 if SMU is #1. UNB would be 5/6 in pool B with CW and OUA1. Lakehead would be in pool A with SMU and OUA2.

Food for thought....
What it truly comes down to is a game of wait and see. There are still too many variables. Everybody is giving Alberta a "golden ticket" here. Until it happens they are not in the pool. If the AUS final goes to SMU, then you will likely see a repeat of last years final, only earlier on with Alberta playing UNB in round robin. Either way, I believe you could see a final of UNB vs. SMU. Which would be a dream game for those of us in the AUS. Moncton vs UNB proved the AUS is a force, I would love to see two AUS teams in the final again.

I agree that if we must play Alberta, I would like UNB to play them early, rather then on no rest.

Finals are not regular season, and home teams often hold advantage. Don't count out the OUA, don't count anyone out...

Lets go VREDS!!!!

Squirrel Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 02:53 PM
  #95
AUS Fan
Registered User
 
AUS Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: At the Rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,261
vCash: 500
We won't know CW for two more weeks as they are just finishing up quarters. I agree that everyone is giving the nod to UofA and based on past history for good reason. I don't count the OUA out, but they have not had a good record. A #6 and two NR teams do not inspire confidence. However, in a short tournament anything is possible. Besides, speculation is entertaining.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 03:21 PM
  #96
FreddtFoyle
Registered User
 
FreddtFoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
Not quite. Your scenario (CW,OUA1 and Host) in Pool B puts SMU in pool A with UNB and that won't happen. I can't see the AUS wildcard any lower than #4, however in your scenario SMU would be seeded #5/6 in pool B and host #5/6 in pool A. Should SMU win the AUS and UofA win CW then UNB would rightfully be seeded #4 in pool A and SMU #2 in pool B with OUA1 and host. Lakehead will do anything to stay away from UNB and UofA in that other pool.

I don't think it's always 2,3,6 in pool B. '05 and '06 were 2,3,5 if I'm not mistaken, else they just jigged the numbers to fix the situation.
Doh ... you're right. If UNB wins the AUS and therefore gets #1 seed and placed in Pool A, then Alberta (I'd like to see the team that can dethrone them in the West ...) and the OUA champ would be in Pool B and of course, you're right, SMU would be the third team in Pool B (no matter what their seeding) since they can't be in the same pool as UNB. Which means Lakehead would be in Pool A with UNB, and UNB would be playing in the evening pool. What was I thinking?

If SMU wins the AUS, they can't get the #1 seed as that reverts to the higher ranked Alberta (as they were the higher rank, #2, in the last CIS poll). Only if Alberta gets upset in the West can SMU get the #1 seed, as they would be the highest ranked conference champion. If SMU wins the AUS, I don't know what seed UNB would get, but conventional wisdom says it would have to be seeded #4 or #5 to match the 1,4,5 and 2,3,6 pool setups.

And yes, the host committees do jig the numbers to make their pools work.

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 03:25 PM
  #97
Squirrel Forever
Registered User
 
Squirrel Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 136
vCash: 500
I don't see how UNB could be ranked anything other then #1 or #4. Even if they don't win the AUS, they would be the highest ranked team from the regular season in the tournament.

Squirrel Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 03:31 PM
  #98
timbitca
Registered User
 
timbitca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: JLL Press Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by austrooper View Post
Timbit, I appreciate the sentiment about not wanting to beat each other up. But heck, it's hockey and while the nationals are something to aspire to, to me the big deal is the conference (hyou play against those guys all year, why shoudn't it have more meaning? especially if you're trying to sell the level....look at the Q, they play best-of-sevens because they know it generates interest, it sells and it brings in dollars.......as you indicate, too many weird things happen in a sudden-death situation which is basically what the nationals are all about..they manipulate the seedings and/or sked to suit the format and best sell it to the local market, in this case, Thunder Bay...I just think there are many concessions made for the sake of a national tournament.........a program is only as good as its conference....you're trying to cultivate fans and the best way of doing that is through playoffs...look at the pros and cons of a best of five opposed to a best of three.....the only con is, like you suggest, possible injuries through a five game series.....2 weeks off is not a good thing...play a best of five starting this wednesday, friday, sunday, wednesday, friday......finishing on March 20......nationals begin the following thursday.....not particularly overly taxing.....think of money being generated in a best of five........think of the interest generated for university hockey.....anything to get the attention of the buying public
Maybe so, but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kexodusc View Post
I'm almost in agreement with you about the conference being more important...almost. Most years you've got to win the conference to go anyway. But I think most people would rather have the National Championship banner than the conference banner even if it is a flawed tournament. It's just a bit more elusive and special.

Historically, the best teams entering Nationals don't win it...just looking at the last 5 years, Alberta at UNB in 2004, Moncton in 2007, UNB in 2008 all came up short. But that unpredictability also makes it fun.

At the end of the day, you have to be good to make it there, lucky to win it, and every team that wins it is deserving.

As for the importance of the AUS final and the pools this year - if you're of the opinion that the road to the Championship goes through Alberta regardless, then it would probably be in UNB's best interest to lose vs SMU. If they go in as #1, UNB then would only play Alberta on likely 12 hrs rest Sunday afternoon (a terrible disadvantage for the winner of the evening pool), possibly their 3rd game in less than 3 days, otherwise they could play Alberta with a day of rest earlier in the tournament. There's probably an incentive to avoiding a team that is playing on home ice too (Lakehead).

For SMU, winning it all makes sense - they'd likely go in as #2 in the afternoon pool, avoiding Alberta's pool and getting the full day rest should they make it to Sunday.

Funny how it works.
...what do you think is the first thing that pops into our minds when we're discussing our 2006-07 season. The AUS Championship we won against UNB in their OWN rink (no small feat in of itself) which we were very proud of?

No.

Not even close. When we think of the 2006-07 season the first thing that pops into our mind is Robert Pearce going in on the left hand side of the ice and scoring the overtime winner on Eric Lafrance. We might have won the AUS, but we also managed to lose the CIS. Like kexodusc, I'm almost in agreement with you that the conference is more important than the National, but If fairly positive that you ask anyone on our team from that year if they would trade the AUS for CIS championship banner, everyone would. I know I would in a heartbeat.

Ah, you gotta love hockey.

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 03:44 PM
  #99
kexodusc
 
kexodusc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
What we know for sure, per the CIS regs:

"The pools shall be seeded as follows:
a. The three (3) Sport Conference champions will be seeded 1st, 2nd, and 3rd based on their relative national ranking in the final Top Ten of the season.
b. Pool A will have the #1 seed. Pool B will consist of #2 and #3."
The regulations are cryptic at best, but maybe someone can explain the intent of the section I highlighted below...

Quote:
Option B
If there are three teams from one conference then the 3rd place team is in Pool A
and geography determines the final two placings. For example:
If AUS had three (3) representatives and CWUAA was #1, OUA (E) was #2
and AUS was #3 the pools would be as follows:
Pool A
CWUAA
OUA (W)
AUS #3

Pool B
OUA (E)
AUS #1
AUS #2
Does "3rd place team" refer to the lowest ranked team in the conference that sends 3 teams, or does it mean the CIS Ranked #3 team?
I'm guessing it's the former now after reading it again...

I hear for UNB Nationals in 2010-11, and 2011-2012 they've changed the pool structures again...there's 2 pools:

Pool A
CW #1
OUA #1
OUA #2
AUS #2
CW #2

Pool B
UNB

Winners advance to the gold medal game...

kexodusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 04:14 PM
  #100
AUS Fan
Registered User
 
AUS Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: At the Rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel Forever View Post
I don't see how UNB could be ranked anything other then #1 or #4. Even if they don't win the AUS, they would be the highest ranked team from the regular season in the tournament.
That is correct. However, if SMU wins AUS and UofA does not go, then UNB can't be #4 because Pool A has always been 1,4,? and Pool B 2,3,?. If SMU is #1 then UNB can't be #4.

Post #92 and #93 refer....


Last edited by AUS Fan: 03-08-2009 at 04:19 PM.
AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.