HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Still not sold on more expensive skates...yet.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-07-2009, 09:30 PM
  #26
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!
 
adaminnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 675
vCash: 2466
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
That video is essentially crap. Been covered before. For one, the puck is shot faster at the easton skate, and it also says nothing about the impact transfer. Just because the composite moves a lot doesn't mean anything- it could be stiffer and transfer more of the shot to the boot and thus protecting your ankle more, or it might catch more of an impact from that one particular angle... Basically that video is a propaganda piece.
Oh ok, very well then.

So I guess that the $50 dollar skates are fine.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 10:29 PM
  #27
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,444
vCash: 500
Look, try a pair out. If you have a friend who wears a similar size, try his out. I can say in having had cheaper and very expensive skates, there's a bit of a difference. I weigh around 170 but can deal with top level stiffness just fine. I think I can say honestly, those with better technique will benefit from stiffer skates more. As for taking shots off them, it's usually not a matter of top vs bottom line, but which make/model you're wearing and where you get hit. Top of the line skates will probably help a little in that area but I don't know how much, (retail).

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 10:03 AM
  #28
iceman17
 
iceman17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
There are also players who go years without changing skates because they like the feel of a particular pair. It goes both ways.
Very true...Maxim Afinogenov has had the same pair of Vapor 8s for as long as i can remember.

iceman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 10:06 AM
  #29
iceman17
 
iceman17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
gonna guess you're from LI. Boys with Chiggy?
That would be correct.

iceman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 10:48 AM
  #30
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,837
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
On the other hand how can you say expensive skates aren't worth it if you've never bought a pair and used them for a period of time?

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 12:49 PM
  #31
tobyandmisty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 62
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Don't think that new expensive skates are going to make you really fast. First you have to be fast to begin with. Proper skating form, strong legs, all that stuff. If you have that, then yes, light skates will help. I think the main thing about lighter skates is that you don't get fatigued as quickly because you are carrying less weight on your feet.

That was one of the thoughts I had because I do tire out.

Any sites where I could see the weight of each skate?

tobyandmisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 06:50 PM
  #32
greech
Registered User
 
greech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 361
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to greech
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaWrista View Post
Look, try a pair out. If you have a friend who wears a similar size, try his out. I can say in having had cheaper and very expensive skates, there's a bit of a difference. I weigh around 170 but can deal with top level stiffness just fine. I think I can say honestly, those with better technique will benefit from stiffer skates more. As for taking shots off them, it's usually not a matter of top vs bottom line, but which make/model you're wearing and where you get hit. Top of the line skates will probably help a little in that area but I don't know how much, (retail).
Eh, top level skates need to be baked for them to be skated in; so heed some caution trying this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyandmisty View Post
That was one of the thoughts I had because I do tire out.

Any sites where I could see the weight of each skate?
Honestly, any top-level skate is going to be light enough. If you chose a one95 over a, say, Vector U+ because of weight is just crazy. Fit first, and the fact that they're all sub-750 grams is an extra positive.

greech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 09:48 PM
  #33
Sony Eriksson*
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: N. Dallas/NYC
Country: Faroe Islands
Posts: 13,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Just last week I put back my old CCM 652s after two years of Easton 1500s. There is no problem skating in my old pals, but they are by far heavier and do not allow as much agility compare to Eastons. The speed is not much different, though. The shallow groove will effect your speed much greater than anything.
I will never wear any other skate except 652's in my life. I have used them since i was a kid and still use them 20 years later. I have them special ordered when i need new ones.

Here are some on ebay...Anyone who has not worn these skates trust me when i tell you this that they are the best skates i have ever used. I used Bauer Supremes (man i feel old) and they were for a while regarded as the best skate other than the Graf's that Gretzky used in the early 90's...The Tacks in my mind are the best skates in the world.

Link to CCM 652's
http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_nkw...romZR40QQ_mdoZ


Last edited by Sony Eriksson*: 03-09-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.