HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blue Jackets Top 20 Prospects, Fall 2008

Old
09-09-2008, 12:02 AM
The Fuhr*

vCash: 500
Blue Jackets Top 20 Prospects, Fall 2008

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ects_fall2008/

Plekhanov jumps from 20th to 6th on the Jackets HF top 20

I have been high on him since last year, nice to see him jump up the rankings.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 12:50 AM
Bulis hit

What a nice jump in the rankings for Ted Ruth! Jumping 4 ranks, with 2 new draftees being ranked higher and Plekhanov going into top 10. Overall, he jumped an impressive 7 spots!

I am really interested in knowing more about him. Could any of you give me more info?

Bulis hit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 01:35 PM
The Fuhr*

Jacket fans don't care about there prospects? Would be awesome to hear other peoples opinions on the system.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 01:44 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
Jacket fans don't care about there prospects? Would be awesome to hear other peoples opinions on the system.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=528537

We're excited, but the problem is we've been dealing with nothing but prospects since our inception. Draft day was always the most exciting day of the schedule for us. But the time has come for the Jackets to win, and win now with the players they have. We're a lot more interested in seeing who makes camp, and weather or not they'll get us to the playoffs for the firs time, than we are about players who'll be in the system a few more years.

Sorry if that sounds cold, or uncaring, but it's reality for the only team who hasn't made the playoffs, and one who's biggest prospect news of the offseason is about a 19 year old retiring.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 03:21 PM
5StringBuzz

If I read the list right, it looks like quite a few of their scores dropped from last year, which doesn't look promising. I'll echo Skraut's sentiment. Basically, I think most of us are a little tired of prospects and are ready for them to get beyond that phase and start making an impact for us.

5StringBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 03:47 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

vCash: 828
well, I was excited to finally see the prospects list come out. I was curious to see where Filatov would fall in the top 3. I was disapointed to see Brassard's rank fall. I still think he's an 8.0C, but que sera sera. I liked the list, I wonder where Legein would have been should he not have...well, retired. I think Mayorov is too low, but he'll probably be higher next off season, and hopefully a few of those names are off the list, if you know what I mean.

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 03:52 PM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
I want to hear about real NHL players contributing to the team first. Hard to get excited about our prospects when very few of them have ever contributed to the big club.

DJAnimosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 05:43 AM
falcor

think i'd be more interested if i'd seen the boys w/my own eyes. don't get me wrong.. i appreciate the work put into scoring and ranking them, but until i can judge for myself, it really doesn't mean nothing more than 'ooh i like this name and he's ranked high! woot..'

so, work hard, make the team, knock my socks off. then maybe i can get excited w/out the vodka this time.

falcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 10:12 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

While this is a Futures board, I do think there's a bit of fear and trepidation about Jackets prospects. This team really hasn't seen any what have been considered prospects contribute in a significant way (thinking off the top of my head of course, there may be some I'm missing) save Leclaire, I guess. Nash and Zherdev came right in and played, so there was never a "tracking-them-as-prospects" phase.

Then the list is topped by three guys who are obvious selections, and who all could make the team this year - two of whom have seats all warmed up for them it would seem.

Then the rest are players who've been prospects for a couple seasons or more, about whom we've kvetched aplenty (Adam Pineault, where are you?).

So while there's value in understanding the pipeline, until it's producing enough to wean the organization off of imported talent (there, I used a political/environmental metaphor just there) it's just a bridge to nowhere.

lastly, faclor (as usual) makes a good point. Lists are good, but it's hard to comment on players whom we haven't seen with our own eyes. I do have to say the list made me look up Jake Hansen.

Old
09-10-2008, 12:52 PM
bizzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ects_fall2008/

Plekhanov jumps from 20th to 6th on the Jackets HF top 20

I have been high on him since last year, nice to see him jump up the rankings.
I've been high on him since the year he was drafted. And I really hope he will make a trip to Columbus this year at least for a short stint.

bizzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 04:01 PM
Macster

Great job as usual, couple things I question though:

- Clitsome has to be in our top twenty. The organization loves him.

- I don't think Sucharski has done much to earn a top 20 spot, especially with guys like Clitsome not making it.

- I would have thought that Mayorov would be available, based on his strong rookie camp and willingness to come overseas.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 02:55 AM
Hockey-Freak

What happened with Ben Wright? Did they forgot him or was there a trade i missed?

Hockey-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 04:52 AM
warlockmb

I can give everyone a little on the Crunch players. First it seems like everyone is goo goo ga ga over Plekhanov and he has great potential but has a way to go. He has maybe the best point shot I have ever seen but still needs work on his defense. He will probably be a NHL player in a year or two.

The player(s) which will probably be the quickest impact will be Pineault or Picard. Having seen both for two years now both have shown great potential. I know Picard is behind schedule but he came of a terrible knee injury two years ago and was not that great last season for the Crunch but near the end of the season was one if not the best besides Brassard. Pineault was called up but when he was sent back down he was hurt and really never new why. Adam was a great forward and would be a 10 to 15 goal scorer in the NHL as a third line winger.

Sestito and Dorsett need another year in the AHL and have great potential and I see both of them in Columbus but not next year. Dorsett is Sean Avery Jr. but backs it up better. Sestito will be in my opinion Chris Simon in a year or Two. 15 goals 20 assists and 200 PM's Boll will have to earn a spot in a year to stay with Columbus.

Holden and Clitsome only saw a minute or two so not much on them but will update as they get minutes this season for the Crunch.

Wilson and Rome have great promise but there has to be room for them and that might not be the case because of depth. They could get lost in the shuffle because of the depth of defense men in Columbus and be traded. Wilson could be another Brian Leetch but needs another year in the AHL. He has great skill and talent.

The guy not on this list is the one I am looking forward to this season here in Syracuse. Krill Starkov. He was sent to the ECHL last season but saw time at the end of last season and really showed he can play the game. Only saw him for maybe 20 games and I think that is a high estimate but he has great potential and will be watching him close this up coming season.

Not to burst anyones bubble in Columbus either but hope both Mayorov and Filatov are in Syracuse as well. Will be nice to see Prospects here instead of Columbus or Juniors where they have been in the past. These kids need to be in the A if they are not in Cbus.

warlockmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 08:37 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

THanks, warlockmb, that's a very encouraging outlook! I'm especially pleased by your reviews of Pineault and Picard, since I had been ready to dismiss them as disappointments. I'll look forward to your continuing reports, along with the long-time posters who've provided so much insight on the Crunch. It would be a real shame for such great Syracuse fans to lose the team, as has been discussed recently.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 10:43 AM
Macster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey-Freak View Post
What happened with Ben Wright? Did they forgot him or was there a trade i missed?
Wright needed to be signed this June by the Jackets or he would become a free agent. The Jackets brass decided not to sign him, so he is a FA. Not sure if anybody has picked him up though.

I really like Wright, and I was surprised when he wasn't offered a contract. He has solid potential.

Old
09-13-2008, 10:25 AM
FlaggerX

What interested me is how high 2nd round pick Cody Golubef is listed, and how far Teddy Ruth jumped this year. It makes me hope that a few years down the road we'll be even stronger.

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 02:11 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Hockey news has Will Weber as the #1 Freshman in the CCHA. Dalpe #2.

Allen York #1 Freshman in the ECAC

Dr. Fire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 10:14 AM
Shaun_W_W

I asked this on the Prospect section but I'll ask here as well. How do you guys think the top 20 have changed over the past 4 months?

Shaun_W_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 10:31 AM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun_W_W View Post
I asked this on the Prospect section but I'll ask here as well. How do you guys think the top 20 have changed over the past 4 months?
Some quick hits for you, Plekhanov isn't having a great year and has regressed. He's lower than 6th at this point. Adam Pineault Traded to Chicago for Mike Blunden. Mason, Voracek, and Dorsett are all playing for the BJs right now. Mason is clearly a fantastic goalie. Alex Picard, a former 1st round pick has made it thru waivers twice this season. Goloubef won WCJ gold with Canada, his stock is rising. Maxim Mayorov should be higher than 17, Sigalet higher than 12. The top 3 are probably 1a) Brassard 1b)Voracek 2)Filatov IMHO.

I'm sure Macster will come in here and add some more stuff for you. If you go to his website (http://cbjcannon.blogspot.com/) you can see an expanded depth chart at the bottom of the page which should be useful.

dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 11:27 AM
Macster

Sorry Shaun, I'm just trying to catch up on some old threads and I came across your post. I'm not sure of the criteria that HF uses for graduated players, but I am going to graduate Voracek, Brassard, Mason, Methot and Dorsett. That leaves this as my personal top 20:

1) Filatov LW
2) Goloubef D
3) Teddy Ruth D
4) Will Weber D
5) Maksim Mayorov RW
6) Tom Sestito LW
7) Jake Hansen LW
8) Grant Clitsome D
9) Brent Regner D
10) Dan LaCosta G
11) Stefan Legein W
12) Nick Holden D
13) Matt Calvert RW
14) Allen York G
15) Steve Delisle D
16) Andrei Plekhanov D
17) Kevin Lalande G
18) Mike Blunden RW
19) Nick Sucharski RW
20) Alex Picard LW

I've bolded the blueliners, I am very impressed with the depth the organization has at D now. If we can draft a blueliner (Ryan Ellis, please) with our first rounder this year we'll be in great shape.

Some of our other prospects are no longer in the organization, Vigilante was traded to Quad Cities, and ties have been severed with Kirill Starkov.

Jake Hansen is having a solid freshman season, ditto for Weber and York. Their stock is on the rise, and Cody Goloubef is right behind Filatov, due to his play with the Badgers and Team Canada. Brent Regner is on the rise, he is tearing the WHL a new bumhole. Legein takes a dip, for obvious reasons. Lalande will be a good pickup, but until his stats prove that he is a better prospect that LaCosta, he will remain behind him. Alex Picard makes the list at 20 for one reason- former first rounder. Chances are he won't be in the organization at all next season.

Hope this is what you were looking for.

Old
03-08-2009, 11:41 AM
abuck13

Any information on Delisle and more on Regner would be appreciated. As for Golo, he looks great in for the Dub right now.

I'd also echo the Ellis drafting. The kid is almost a tougher Lil Shake. Two mighty midgets on the same team?!

abuck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

vCash: 828
voracek should be gratuated, unfortunetly Brassard will still probably be there.

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 02:46 PM
FlaggerX

It does look like we have some developing depth at defenseman, but there isn't one center on that list. Not one. As Brassard will be with the big club when healthy, we need a center or two. Fortunately this year's draft seems rich in them, but who you draft often depends on when you draft.

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
According to The Hockey News, our top 10 prospects are :

1. Nikita Filatov
2. Maksim Mayorov
3. Tom Sestito
4. Nick Holden
5. Grant "I want some" Clitsome
6. Cody Goloubef
7. Teddy "overrated" Ruth
8. Stefan Legein
9. Mike "cheap shot" Blunden
10. Will Weber

I added the nicknames myself, for those with the sarcasm detectors turned off today.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 03:01 PM
CBJheadhunter

I wouldn't mind if we draft last this year

CBJheadhunter is offline   Reply With Quote