HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pavel Bure

Closed Thread

Old
08-25-2004, 12:55 AM
Sole Survivor

vCash: 500
Pavel Bure

Will he play this season or ever again if so how many pts?

Old
08-25-2004, 01:39 AM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
no way, no how. hes done. the guy can barely walk anymore.

Old
08-25-2004, 09:41 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

The guy has had so many reconstructions on his legs they must feel like rubber...
If he ever did return...he would probably get maybe 50-60 pnts.. as he would need to play a more positional game rather than a speed game.

Old
08-28-2004, 03:01 PM
NYRBlaznBure9

Send a message via ICQ to NYRBlaznBure9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid
The guy has had so many reconstructions on his legs they must feel like rubber...
If he ever did return...he would probably get maybe 50-60 pnts.. as he would need to play a more positional game rather than a speed game.
A Pavel at no higher then 65% playing a more positional game getting 50-60 points is quite impressive. OTOH, it's very unlikely he'll return.

Old
08-28-2004, 03:07 PM
NYRangers

He wont return, he just isnt officially retiring so he can get his $$. Once in a while you might here hes skating, but hes not - its just rumblings so the Rangers cant say hes not rehabbing.

Old
08-28-2004, 03:12 PM
Bergeron47

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers
He wont return, he just isnt officially retiring so he can get his $$. Once in a while you might here hes skating, but hes not - its just rumblings so the Rangers cant say hes not rehabbing.
I heard he didnt make a cent last year.

Old
08-28-2004, 03:32 PM
NYRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47
No he got paid. Maybe your confused with Hasek? He gave back his money? Do you want baseball, Mo Vaughn is in the same situation. Albert Belle was too untill this offseason.

The Rangers were insured and I think only had to pay 1 million. Insurance took care of the rest.

Old
08-28-2004, 03:48 PM
JJ68NYR

I have no clue wat any of you guys are talking about.

Pavel hasnt retired because he wants to comeback. He loves NY and wants to play in the Garden again. He is not sticking around just to get paid because WHO'S paying him? The Rangers didnt pick up his option so he is a free agent so he is not getting paid anything. So in other words he wants to and is trying to comeback.

Old
08-28-2004, 03:49 PM
Rodent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47
On what possible basis could the Rangers deny him his full pay?

1) Bure was under contract last season. He had not retired. Nor did Slats "buy out" the remaining contract. I.e., Rangers were on the hook for $10M in 2003-2004.

2) The assault by Danton which effectively ended Pavel's career occurred on the ice, in service to NYR. I.e., Rangers are still on the hook for medical expenses.

3) Rangers have not shown cause why Bure would be considered in breach of contract. No fewer than three orthopedic surgeons have agreed that the cumulative damage to his right knee is so severe as to be inoperable.

What am I missing?

Old
08-28-2004, 03:50 PM
Rodent

Woops, sorry. When I first clicked to respond, those other two posts had not been made.

Old
08-28-2004, 03:56 PM
JJ68NYR

hey Rodent do you know if anything's going on with bure possibly. You seem to have alot on Jagr on your site and thats great because i'm a huge jagr fan but an even bigger Bure fan. The last info i heard was from his brother inbetween periods towards the deadline when Florida was playing the Rangers. He said Pavel was rehabbing in Florida and hopes to make a comeback. Do you know of anything? If no can you try and find something out because you seem to know alot of people and sources. It would be very helpful to me and all rangers fans to know wat was up with the guy.

Old
08-28-2004, 05:02 PM
Rodent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ68NYR
hey Rodent do you know if anything's going on with bure possibly. You seem to have alot on Jagr on your site and thats great because i'm a huge jagr fan but an even bigger Bure fan. The last info i heard was from his brother inbetween periods towards the deadline when Florida was playing the Rangers. He said Pavel was rehabbing in Florida and hopes to make a comeback. Do you know of anything? If no can you try and find something out because you seem to know alot of people and sources. It would be very helpful to me and all rangers fans to know wat was up with the guy.
The controversial interview which suggested Bure was heading towards a comeback was concocted by a Russian tabloid. It is common in Russian media to simply make up stuff and publish it as fact, fabricated quotations and all.

I should know. I do it all the time.

Old
08-28-2004, 05:10 PM
Rodent

Let me clarify.

The between-periods interview with brother Valeri was different than the highly optimistic tabloid piece I referred to in the previous post. Val's television comments were indeed upbeat. But he was talking in potentials and generalites in a situation where he had been placed on the spot. Pavel was queried about this some time later and Pavel was wishy-washy when asked about a comeback.

A subsequent piece by Larry Brooks in The Post revealed that three orthopods had refused to operate on Bure's right knee because they did not believe they could improve his mobility or strength.

Bure's only concrete statement was that he was performing physiotherapy to strengthen the muscles around the knee to see if that would be sufficient. But he his timetable included only the briefest mention of light skating with no other milestones planned. And that was 4 months ago.

Last edited by Rodent: 08-28-2004 at 05:35 PM.
Old
08-28-2004, 05:46 PM
Rodent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ68NYR
can you try and find something out because you seem to know alot of people and sources. It would be very helpful to me and all rangers fans to know wat was up with the guy.
My guy in Saratow last told me that Bure was "politicking" in Moscow and that his whole attitude was more aligned towards post-hockey planning than with making a return to the NHL. His final thought to me was that every day Bure puts between himself and his NHL career is another day a comeback becomes less likely.

Interpret that any way you wish.

My interpretation is that (unfortunately) Bure's final career stats as a Ranger will read "31 goals in 51 games" which is a shame.

He was electric and the mere threat with him on the ice opened up room for his linemates as well as Brian Leetch.

It certainly would have been fun having two power play units, one featuring JJ and the other with Bure. But then you must ask whether Slats would have acquired JJ in the first place if Pavel was still playing regularly.

Old
08-28-2004, 07:30 PM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodent
But then you must ask whether Slats would have acquired JJ in the first place if Pavel was still playing regularly.
Most likely, yes.

Even if we had a healthy Bure scoring a goal a game, I have to believe an offer of Jagr with all that contract eaten for a piss-poor Anson Carter would be an offer Sather would've taken regardless.

Old
08-28-2004, 08:19 PM
Rodent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Fan
Most likely, yes.

Even if we had a healthy Bure scoring a goal a game, I have to believe an offer of Jagr with all that contract eaten for a piss-poor Anson Carter would be an offer Sather would've taken regardless.
So that would have rendered Alex Kovalev third on the RW depth chart?

Hmmmm, the minutes don't add up. Too many RWs and only 60 minutes to share. You would have had to have tried something like this:

Rucinsky - Lindros - Bure
Nedved - Kovalev - Jagr
xxxxxx - Holik - Ortmeyer
Hlavac - Messier - Lundmark

Old
08-28-2004, 10:45 PM
JJ68NYR

That would have been very sick!

I man its tough because i remember that day in 2001 when it was flashing across the ticker we had acquired Pavel Bure and for a second i thought i had to get my eyes checked.

And then I remember the night Bure was taken out by Curtis Brown and i still say he stuck his knee out because he couldnt catch Bure. I was tearing almost ready to breakout into a cry because he was having an unbelievable season.

That mere stat 31 goals in 51 games and you know seeing that, you think and you kinda know that if Bure played 25 more games healthy we would have had a playoff berth that yr.

Its real tough. The weird thing is when he was injured by Brown he came back later that season (this is 2002 season, not 2001 when he was traded at deadline for thos who are lost right now) and he played against Ottawa towards the end when we had acquired Kovalev and then he didnt play at all last yr.

Old
08-29-2004, 01:33 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Just for clarification, 31 goals in 51 games was his combined stats in two years with the Rangers.

Pavel Bure will come back when we have genetic therapy to heal his knee. Call your local legislator and support stem cell research!

Bure was a tremendous player throughout his entire career and will be a Hall of Famer. However, his playing days are over and it's sad that his career kind of sputtered out but I think we saw this coming after all the knee surgeries over the last 10 years or so. Oh, and I was one of the guys going "yay, we robbe Florida for Bure!" I think I'd rather have Novak bavk now =).

Closed Thread