HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

PGT: Habs roar and win over powerful Stars.

Old
03-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Ncrdrg

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ncrdrg Send a message via MSN to Ncrdrg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
Right here.

It's unbelievable that you guys can't understand where we're coming from. It's not anything against Price -- Halak just deserved to start. By not letting him play tonight the coaching staff basically told him they have absolutely no confidence he can be anything but a backup. If that's okay with you, fine, but I think it sucks and is completely unfair.

I'm glad to see Price play well in back-to-back games though; he needs to be at the top of his game to win with the way the team plays in front of him most nights. If he falters, well I don't think we can expect any more miracles from Halak because his confidence has to be shot right now.
It's indeed unfair but I can understand their logic. Price at the top of his game is head and shoulders above Halak. Just the rebound control makes for a world of difference. Not that he's not good. Price on his game is simply better.
And Carbo took the gamble seeing his #1 goalie to recover from his funk after being let down by the team vs Atlanta after a great performance. A few games like this and bam, we've got one of the best goalies in the league back.

Ncrdrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 08:00 PM
la25ecoupe

Well, prize on Price for the win. I think if Halak goaled, we would've won also. So, still, even Price good, feeling sad for Halak.

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Danny Dubé just told a cool story on radio:
when Tanguay came in the locker room today Andrei K was sitting at his place. So Tang said:"hey what's going on?". Andrei responded "we together tonight" with a huge smile on his face. So Alex said:"kid, just put your stick on the ice and don't worry about the rest".

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

not to mention halak has now proven beyond all doubt he can start in this league and we should be able to get a nice return when the team hopefully gets Price's extension signed in the off-season.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 08:04 PM
BJG

Exactly. Price has now let in 2 goals in 2 games. Carbo may have gotten his head back on straight. Halak is still there for us; if he's too sad that he got the bench and ***** the bed next start because of it, then he ain't a pro hockey player.

Bunny Laraque won a lot of games for the Habs backing up Dryden. He was good at what he was, as is Halak.

BJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 08:06 PM
Playoff Beard

Can't wait to see Tanguay Koivu and AK play more than 12/13 minutes together. They looked absolutely great together.

Playoff Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 08:06 PM
PyrettaBlaze*

Poor HFBoards... still recovering from the Habs' dreadful trade deadline.

PyrettaBlaze* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 08:08 PM
Habs

Exactly why I never bash Price.. because when this kid is on.. he is amazing.

Hammer on the other hand still sucks.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 08:11 PM
MonacoBlue

Well, there's a lot to build on with this game.

A first line that clicks....one that everyone but Carbo wanted. AKost was everywhere today. Tanguay played well.

Pleks also had a monster game.

Price played like a real number 1 goalie.

Markov played like a number 1 defenseman.

Stewart singlehandedly turned around this game and possibly the Habs' fortunes. I find it ironic that everyone got so excited about Stewart after just that 1 game he had and now he's really proved what he can do.

Also, the PK was great.

The Habs started off really slow, and the lazy, undisciplined penalties were bad. Yet the Habs still got a lot of the things needed to win. If they can keep getting those things, then the Habs could actually win a few playoff rounds.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 08:12 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
"Where are the Carbo bashers now?"

I'm still right here. It took almost a full season for Carbonneau to realize to put Andrei on RW with our better playmakers. The fact that you would try to throw this win in anyone's face after just one win is completely ludicrous. You are one of the biggest bandwagoners this board has ever endured.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 08:15 PM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
congrats HFBOARDS!!

carBOSO finally listened to what we wanted our lineup to be and we won!!!

we won our first game today as coach of the habs!!

we did it! we did it!

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 08:15 PM
BJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

I'm still right here. It took almost a full season for Carbonneau to realize to put Andrei on RW with our better playmakers. The fact that you would try to throw this win in anyone's face after just one win is completely ludicrous. You are one of the biggest bandwagoners this board has ever endured.
If you are talking to me, read the damn post. I didn't jump the bandwagon or praise Carbo uniformly. I simply pointed out that the call to start Price was not the dumbest decision in the history of the world, as apparently everyone believed earlier today.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 03-08-2009 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Edited quoted post.
BJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 08:16 PM
OneSharpMarble

Yes, it feels good to beat the unstoppable juggernaut that is the Dallas Stars!

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 08:16 PM
1UP

A little note:

First win in Dallas in almost 10 years. Habs continue to dominate the west!

So, well if we get through the east in the playoffs, we got good chances!

Huge win tonight, to grab our 5th place back. But since 5th is 2 points away from 10th, we're in no way out of trouble. They need to keep playing like they did in the last 10 games.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:

I don't believe a word of this. You secretly love Carbo and think about him every night you go to bed.

Old
03-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Caekslap

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJG View Post
Exactly. Price has now let in 2 goals in 2 games. Carbo may have gotten his head back on straight. Halak is still there for us; if he's too sad that he got the bench and ***** the bed next start because of it, then he ain't a pro hockey player.

Bunny Laraque won a lot of games for the Habs backing up Dryden. He was good at what he was, as is Halak.
says who?

Last 4 Games:

Price: 0.892
Halak: 0.954

/clap

Caekslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
Right here.

It's unbelievable that you guys can't understand where we're coming from. It's not anything against Price -- Halak just deserved to start. By not letting him play tonight the coaching staff basically told him they have absolutely no confidence he can be anything but a backup. If that's okay with you, fine, but I think it sucks and is completely unfair.

I'm glad to see Price play well in back-to-back games though; he needs to be at the top of his game to win with the way the team plays in front of him most nights. If he falters, well I don't think we can expect any more miracles from Halak because his confidence has to be shot right now.
According to CJAD, Halak was very shakey in practice and didn't feel good taking a load of shots. So yeah, it wasn't that Halak was 100% ready after the flu. He was cleared to be on the bench, but that doesn't mean he was 100%.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 08:25 PM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UP View Post
A little note:

First win in Dallas in almost 10 years. Habs continue to dominate the west!

So, well if we get through the east in the playoffs, we got good chances!

Huge win tonight, to grab our 5th place back. But since 5th is 2 points away from 10th, we're in no way out of trouble. They need to keep playing like they did in the last 10 games.
Yes we've done well against the west. This game was a good starting point and I loved the chemistry of the lines.

If we get through the east and I doubt that, because frankly, Boston, NJ, and Washington are better than we are right now, a western team will beat us up physically in a 7 game series. SJ, Van, and Cgy are all big, mean and fast. Yes we've beat them this year but even a blind squirrel gets a nut every once in a while.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 08:26 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Dammit this board is screwy tonight.

Carbo just said:"The turning point tonight was the Gregory Stewart fight". Take that Laraque and your "Carbo doesn't like physical play".

Old
03-08-2009, 08:29 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
BTW, I am Rubbing a Habs win in your face? This means you were hoping they would lose, yes? Shouldn't you be on the Bruins' board, little man?
Nope. That means you are trying to use one win that you somehow think was all Carbonneau's doing and rubbing it into the faces of those who still maintain he is a horrible coach.

If he was a good coach the lines wouldn't have taken so long to change. He would've put the right players with the right linemates. He would've recognized the gap between forward and defence was far too big. We wouldn't be talking about this one measley win. We'd be talking about how Boston is slumping and how we might be gaining ground on the division championship. Instead we're talking about how we're going to manage to make the play-offs.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Caekslap

Quote:
Nope. That means you are trying to use one win that you somehow think was all Carbonneau's doing and rubbing it into the faces of those who still maintain he is a horrible coach.

If he was a good coach the lines wouldn't have taken so long to change. He would've put the right players with the right linemates. He would've recognized the gap between forward and defence was far too big. We wouldn't be talking about this one measley win. We'd be talking about how Boston is slumping and how we might be gaining ground on the division championship. Instead we're talking about how we're going to manage to make the play-offs.
He wouldn't have put Metropolit on the 5v3 down by one goal.

Old
03-08-2009, 08:31 PM
StlRams514

Send a message via MSN to StlRams514
Quote:
BTW, I am Rubbing a Habs win in your face? This means you were hoping they would lose, yes? Shouldn't you be on the Bruins' board, little man?
I'm still waiting for your answer. And no, rubbing a Habs win in my face does not mean I wanted them to lose, it means you are praising Carbonneau for something that took him way too long to figure out.
Now can you please answer my original question?

StlRams514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 08:37 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caekslap View Post
says who?

Last 4 Games:

Price: 0.892
Halak: 0.954

/clap
Who cares, lets focus on the last 2 games;

.0965 Average for Save %

1.00 goals against too...Price is looking like himself and the team looked better in the 2nd and 3rd.

The next 9 out of 10 at home is a blessing.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Caekslap

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Who cares, lets focus on the last 2 games;

.0965 Average for Save %

1.00 goals against too...Price is looking like himself and the team looked better in the 2nd and 3rd.

The next 9 out of 10 at home is a blessing.
Price: 2 Games, 1 win 1 loss

Halak: 4 Games, 4 wins

/clap

Old
03-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
I'm loving how for every player this board has people willing to go to amazing lengths to justify anything. But a coach, a guy who did so much for the org. like Carbo's regularly called an idiot by people who suck at school but still procrastinate or have terrible jobs or often little to no prospects. Sometimes they're also barely literate. Nothing wrong with not liking a coach's decision but if you think he's the sole reason for every one of this teams woes, or if you hate him to the point you think he's an idiot(if you've met him you know this isn't true) then you are just a bit smarter than a retard.

Good teams with a strong core don't get into slumps like these 2 years out of three. Management realizes the coach isn't good enough when he can't win anything come playoff time, that's how guys like Lewis get fired. You have the Devils who change regularly, sure, but even then they win while the Habs don't. After more than 10 years of this crap, you'd think people would realize the core still needs to get better.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote