Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2009, 07:09 PM
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
met the Goggin boys this summer and their parents; sure seemed like a wonderful family- I thought Mark looked very good in Camp and will not shock me if he does great at Dartmouth and we see him in Providence and Boston someday. I'd say he has 'it'.
I agree that he was noticeable at camp. I had video somewhere, but I think my virus ate it

Old
03-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
met the Goggin boys this summer and their parents; sure seemed like a wonderful family- I thought Mark looked very good in Camp and will not shock me if he does great at Dartmouth and we see him in Providence and Boston someday. I'd say he has 'it'.
That squares with what I've heard about him.

He's back with the Chicago Steel of the USHL now. He went scoreless in his first game with them yesterday- should be playing tonight against Fargo.

Long-term project, but should be interesting to follow his progress. Not crazy about his choice of schools, but I guess if it worked for Lee Stempniak, Goggin should be OK. Would have preferred to see him pick a team in the Hockey East, though.

Old
03-07-2009, 07:22 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ View Post
That squares with what I've heard about him.

He's back with the Chicago Steel of the USHL now. He went scoreless in his first game with them yesterday- should be playing tonight against Fargo.

Long-term project, but should be interesting to follow his progress. Not crazy about his choice of schools, but I guess if it worked for Lee Stempniak, Goggin should be OK. Would have preferred to see him pick a team in the Hockey East, though.
I'm sure he is probably education driven but I'd love to see him at BU, or even BC; but I can see him as a player Parker and his staff would love.

I'm looking forward to the hockey east playoffs but hoping somehow UMass can avoid BU, but then again, NU aint to picnic.

Old
03-08-2009, 09:51 AM
Saxon Eric

Send a message via AIM to Saxon Eric
Quote:
His brother is pretty good too, is he a year older?

Old
03-08-2009, 08:24 PM
captain stone

Quote:
Aside from the goal, BC was pretty brutal last night. Give credit to NU- they never gave up. Tied it with 25 seconds left and then won in OT by winning just about every battle to the loose pucks.

Thiessen was insane again- just stoned the Eagles at every turn to keep his team one goal down when BC could have blown it open.

Very impressive what Greg Cronin has done there.
Did Tommy Cross play in the game, too, and if so, how bad did he look?

I hope he doesn't become another wasted 2nd-round pick like Alexandrov, but I didn't like throwing away a 3rd-rounder just to move up a relatively few spots to take him, esp. when he might very well have been available with that same 3rd-rounder.

Old
03-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Bobcathockey

If pretty sure he is sidelined for the year with a knee surgery. So unless somethig turns around with him it could be a wasted pick due to all these knee injuries he's getting.

Old
03-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain stone View Post
Did Tommy Cross play in the game, too, and if so, how bad did he look?

I hope he doesn't become another wasted 2nd-round pick like Alexandrov, but I didn't like throwing away a 3rd-rounder just to move up a relatively few spots to take him, esp. when he might very well have been available with that same 3rd-rounder.
First of all- I wouldn't call Alexandrov a "wasted" pick. The Bruins still own his rights and he's put two very good seasons in Russia together back-to-back, this year all the more impressive because of all the time he missed to an injured shoulder. The lack of a transfer agreement does not mean Alexandrov is finished as a Bruins prospect. It just means that it will take more creativity to sign him and get him over. Nikita Filatov is playing for Columbus and in their system, so why not Alexandrov? He turns 21 in June.

As Bobcat said- Cross did not play in the game the other night. Had another knee injury which is obviously a major concern at this point. It was one of the worst games I've seen from a BC team in a long time, though. No discipline, no one taking the body when the puck was in close, just an overall listless performance at crunch time when they had held a 1-0 lead for most of the game.

Old
03-08-2009, 10:11 PM
captain stone

Whoops - didn't know about Cross' knee injury.

As for lil' Yuri, I consider any Russian who had not committed to the CHL by the draft to be a wasted pick, esp. a short, frail Defenseman who does not produce points. If the FO wanted D at #37, then they should've chosen the more highly-regarded Nigel Williams, Keith Seabrook or Mathieu Carle.

Old
03-09-2009, 07:28 AM
BFonzy

Quote:

As for lil' Yuri, I consider any Russian who had not committed to the CHL by the draft to be a wasted pick, esp. a short, frail Defenseman who does not produce points. If the FO wanted D at #37, then they should've chosen the more highly-regarded Nigel Williams, Keith Seabrook or Mathieu Carle.

Clearly, they could have used you at the Draft Table. Our loss and theirs it seems.

Old
03-09-2009, 07:34 AM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
We attack at 11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcathockey View Post
If pretty sure he is sidelined for the year with a knee surgery. So unless somethig turns around with him it could be a wasted pick due to all these knee injuries he's getting.
Is this knee surgery number 3 or 4?

Yeah, total bust. What a waste of TWO picks.

Old
03-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:

As for lil' Yuri, I consider any Russian who had not committed to the CHL by the draft to be a wasted pick, esp. a short, frail Defenseman who does not produce points.
Sergei Gonchar's best season in Russia (age 20):

1993-94 Moscow Dynamo Russia 44 4 5 9 36

Sergei Zubov's best season in Russia (age 22):
1991-92 CSKA Moscow Russia 36 4 7 11 6

Yuri Alexandrov's last two seasons in Russia (at same level and age as Gonchar's best year)
2007-08 Cherepovets Severstal Russia 45 5 5 10 30 (age 19)
2008-09 Cherepovets Severstal KHL 26 3 5 8 40 (age 20)
(Plus, I would add that Alexandrov has been a Russian elite league regular since he was 17...so he's had four full years at that level. Look at the progression he's made since 17 and 18: 2 points each season)

What was that about points again?

Say what you will- you're certainly entitled to feel those other players were better options. But, you're simply wrong when you say that Alexandrov does "not produce points."

In the context of the system over there, Alexandrov has proven in two years to be similarly productive to two of Russia's most offensive-minded defenders to ever play in the NHL.

So again- I respect your opinion that the other guys may have been preferable, but you're way off-base with your assertion that Alexandrov doesn't produce points. As I said before- this season is even more impressive because he finished with eight points in 26 games while battling a significant shoulder injury suffered during the preseason.

He may or may not ever come over, and he does still need to get stronger, but you're writing off a guy who's not even 21...lot of that going on around here and I just don't get it. Since when did it become mandatory for prospects to make a huge impact within three years of being drafted?

Old
03-09-2009, 11:58 AM
ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Quote:

Yuri Alexandrov's last two seasons in Russia (at same level and age as Gonchar's best year)
(Plus, I would add that Alexandrov has been a Russian elite league regular since he was 17...so he's had four full years at that level. Look at the progression he's made since 17 and 18: 2 points each season)

Say what you will- you're certainly entitled to feel those other players were better options. But, you're simply wrong when you say that Alexandrov does "not produce points."

In the context of the system over there, Alexandrov has proven in two years to be similarly productive to two of Russia's most offensive-minded defenders to ever play in the NHL.

So again- I respect your opinion that the other guys may have been preferable, but you're way off-base with your assertion that Alexandrov doesn't produce points. As I said before- this season is even more impressive because he finished with eight points in 26 games while battling a significant shoulder injury suffered during the preseason.

He may or may not ever come over, and he does still need to get stronger, but you're writing off a guy who's not even 21...lot of that going on around here and I just don't get it. Since when did it become mandatory for prospects to make a huge impact within three years of being drafted?

Kirk; Going back to Alexandrovs draft yr I remember reading how Alexandrov would of been a clear cut 1st rnd pick if it wasn't for the transfer agreement with the russians.Eric Johnson the 1st overall pick from that yr is the only d-man who has played of any significance as of to date.Like you've said he's only 20 and is still growing and hopefully the Bruins can get him over here.

What a draft yr 06 could turn out to be for the Bruins,as we already have Kessel & Lucic with the possibility of Marchand, Alexandrov & Bonderchuk joining them in the near future.

Old
03-09-2009, 12:35 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Exactly correct.

The Bruins vetted Alexandrov and he told them that he very much wanted to play in North America. Otherwise, they would not have used the pick on him.

Of course- actions speak louder than words. He may have changed his mind- it happens. And, he spoke no English whatsoever at the draft, so it's hard to say what he'll do. If he comes over, he's going to have some adjusting to do.

But- the pick isn't wasted until the Bruins lose his rights or he proves not to have the stuff to be an NHL player, IMO. Neither have happened. And not one of the players the poster mentioned have cracked the NHL either. So- as far as arguments go, it's still all just speculation at this point.

I'm not a huge proponent of Alexandrov at this point, but fair is fair, and methinks that captainstone is simply opinionated, but misinformed here when he asserts that Alexandrov doesn't have the offensive upside of the other three he mentioned.

Old
03-09-2009, 01:25 PM
Bruins78

Quote:

In addition to Kirk's more significant points I will add that he is listed everywhere as being 6ft or 6'1 so while he is maybe not the ideal height it is certainly not a detriment.

Old
03-09-2009, 10:28 PM
Beesfan

Quote:

Nice job Kirk, I completely agree. Alexandrov is a real wild card in the Bruins system. If he turns into a good defenseman, it'll be like finding a $20 bill in an old coat pocket, as we've basically all forgotten about him.

I'd love to see him come to Providence next year. Any idea of the chances of that happening?

Old
03-09-2009, 10:37 PM
STRANGE VICTORY

Yea if anyone can interview Chiarelli, any information on Alexandrov's future would be very much appreciated.

Old
03-10-2009, 09:52 AM
captain stone

Quote:
I'm not a huge proponent of Alexandrov at this point, but fair is fair, and methinks that captainstone is simply opinionated, but misinformed here when he asserts that Alexandrov doesn't have the offensive upside of the other three he mentioned.
Guilty as charged on the 1st count; TBD on the 2nd, though I won't mind if I'm proven wrong. It wouldn't be the first time, nor the last. I just would not have chosen a Russian with a top-100 pick that year, unless he was already in NA.

2 quick p.s.':
What, I wonder were Gonchar & Zubov's height/weight at age 20, compared to YA?

I don't recall reading anywhere that YA was a clear-cut 1st-rounder; I do recall reading that Nigel Williams was a first-round talent, with Seabrook a possibility, too.

Old
03-10-2009, 10:02 AM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
We attack at 11.

Alexandrov coming over to North America would really lessen the blow of the Matt Lashoff trade. Guy's got a lot of talent.

Old
03-10-2009, 10:28 AM
ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Quote:
I just would not have chosen a Russian with a top-100 pick that year, unless he was already in NA.

I don't recall reading anywhere that YA was a clear-cut 1st-rounder; I do recall reading that Nigel Williams was a first-round talent, with Seabrook a possibility, too.

Alexandrov was the #1 ranked russian player as well as the #1 european defenseman and ranked 4th amongst all euros by the CSB.

There were 3 russians taken ahead of Alexandrov and 8 total taken in the 1st two rnds. YA was considered a 1st rnd pick and could of went if it wasn't for the transfer agreement.

Seeing how the Bruins came out of the Draft with Kessel,Lucic,Marchand,Bondarchuk and also came away with Rask via trade(JFJ),I would say taking a chance on a young talented russian d-man early in the 2nd who had 1st rnd talent wasn't a wasted pick.

To date Williams nor Seabrooke has played an NHL game.And by the way the Bruins could have taken either one of them with their 2nd of their two 2nd rnd picks,but they decided to pass again and took some guy named Milan Lucic with the 50th pick.

Last edited by ORR2Sanderson2ORR: 03-10-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old
03-10-2009, 11:06 AM
captain stone

A check of my saved Favorites pages revealed this:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...fensemen_x.htm

RLR considered YA a mid-low 1st-rounder, so I stand corrected there. They also had the same concerns re: his size & strength, as I still do. They also liked Nigel Williams, a lot, though he was relatively raw at the time.

Old
03-10-2009, 11:12 AM
Kirk- NEHJ

captain stone- Your concerns about size and strength are valid, but the Bruins can work on a body and build it. You cannot dispute the talent, production and intangibles (hockey sense and leadership- being captain of the Russian WJCs and assistant captain of his Cherepovets team) YA brings at this stage of his development. You can make the case that despite the lanky build, he's got the skill and mojo to be a player at the NHL level.

No issue with your preference to avoid picking a Russian in the top-100 unless in North America; the Bruins knew they were accepting risk to do so. But, the issue is with your characterization that YA was a wasted pick. Time will tell.

Old
03-10-2009, 11:44 AM
captain stone

Agreed....

Old
03-12-2009, 09:43 PM
Bruins78

Hasn't been a great season for Michael Hutchinson but came up with a 45 save shutout tonight in Barrie's 2-0 victory. Hopefully getting that playoff form from last year .

Old
03-13-2009, 09:16 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
We attack at 11.

Joe Colborne's first regular season stats:

35 GP, 9 G, 19 A, 28 Pts., +7

Not too bad for an 18 year old freshman

Denver's first playoff game is tonight against Anchorage. Let's hope he doesn't go the "Full Thornton"

Old
03-13-2009, 11:28 PM
Bruins78

Denver wins game 1 3-2 after being down 2-0, Colborne gets the first assist on the first goal.

Closed Thread