HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Atlanta/Los Angeles Summer Blockbuster

Old
03-09-2009, 02:02 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Atlanta/Los Angeles Summer Blockbuster

I don't normally do these, but here's an idea I had brewing in my head that I figured could potentially help both clubs.

To Atlanta: Alexander Frolov, Jack Johnson, Erik Ersberg, Brian Boyle.

To Los Angeles: Ilya Kovalchuk and Kari Lehtonen.

Reasoning behind this offer: Atlanta retools their club by adding players who can help now and down the road. Frolov is signed to a bargain deal and Atlanta could sign him to an extension at a reduced cost.

Jack Johnson gives Atlanta yet another young defenseman to build around along with Zach Bogosian. With Ondrej Pavelec coming up, Atlanta could use a solid backup, and Ersberg is an upgrade over Hedberg.

Brian Boyle gives Atlanta something they lack in their lineup, size up the middle. He has the potential to be a solid checking line center who could contribute, akin to Michal Handzus.

Los Angeles will acquire the coveted winger to play with Kopitar, although they would have to lock him up to a lucrative contract extension as soon as he is acquired. They also acquire a more experienced netminder in Lehtonen who is still trying to live up to the hype that surrounded him as a prospect. With his current contract at $3M, Atlanta sheds some big money and add some assets that could pay major dividends.

Frolov's potential is that of a 30+ goal scorer who will net 70+ points.

Jack Johnson's potential is that of a top 3 defenseman who will log over 20+ minutes of ice time and play in every critical situation.

Erik Ersberg's potential is that of a more than capable backup who can appear in 30 or so games and not be a liability.

Brian Boyle's potential is that of a two-way power center who can be a presence when he wants to be. He is strong on the puck, but is still learning to utilize his advantageous size.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 02:20 AM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Kovalchuk is going no where

Peter Sidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 02:26 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Atlanta could risk hanging onto Kovalchuk until the deadline, where either his value may be maximized (as it was with the Marian Hossa trade, although they did not replace Hossa's scoring, they got a pretty decent return).

The question is Atlanta's financial situation and ownership group and whether or not they could commit to a long term and hefty contract to lock up both Kovalchuk and Lehtonen. Kovalchuk is guaranteed to get over $7M per year and Lehtonen will be earning $3M+ as well. The Thrashers certainly do have the cap space, but are they willing to make that commitment if their future could possibly be in doubt? And would Kovalchuk want to stick around if they don't bring in some immediate help? He has seen all his teammates move on to greener pastures without him; Heatley, Savard and Hossa. Ilya could be next.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 02:45 AM
DontgoZiggy

That would be about the most that i'd want to see DL give up from an LA perspective, I'd rather he gave up a 1st or two than lose both JJ and Fro.

DontgoZiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 02:45 AM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Why would the Kings want Lehtonen when they have Quick and Bernier waiting on the wings?

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 02:46 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

No. Kovalchuk is not worth it.

You've clearly learned nothing from the Kings past. Just stop.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 02:50 AM
TheDanceOfMaternity

Frolov is not good enough.

Brown and Kopitar are too good.

No Kovy in LA

TheDanceOfMaternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 03:01 AM
KingLB

For all Atlanta fans get use to these proposals, for some reason Kings fans are calling for Kovy in every thread and it won't stop till one of 3 things happen.

1. Kovy signs long term with ATL
2. Kovy actually does get traded to someone
3. Kings make a move for a "superstar" quality player (Gaborik, Hossa, ect)

That being said I don't see why ATL would trade Kovy unless he demanded it.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 03:14 AM
Randall Graves*

Atlanta gets *****, a superstar and a good goalie and the only piece that's really valuable that they have control over in return is Jack...

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 03:33 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
[QUOTE=Ziggy Stardust;18428470]I don't normally do these, but here's an idea I had brewing in my head that I figured could potentially help both clubs.

Frolov's cap hit is smaller next year, Jack Johnson is going to be to good to give up and L.A doesn't need a goalie. Lehtonen can never seem to stay healthy for a season. Doesn't work, sorry.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 03:45 AM
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Frolov's cap hit is smaller next year, Jack Johnson is going to be to good to give up and L.A doesn't need a goalie. Lehtonen can never seem to stay healthy for a season. Doesn't work, sorry.
..? A player's cap hit is the total value of contract divided by length - the cap hit. It is, by definition, impossible to shrink or grow year-to-year. Not only that, but Frolov's contract was back-loaded, so his SALARY actually goes UP next year...

Not a realistic proposal and not really worth judging, imo.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 04:09 AM
hans

Send a message via AIM to hans
Kings fan here saying not enough from LA.

Frolov, Johnson, Moller, and 2010 1st for Kovalchuk alone. Too much for LA to stomach? In my opinion, definitely, but that's what it'd probably take. We wouldn't trade Kopitar and Quick for Todd White, Boris Valabik, Ondrej Pavelec and Daultan Leveille, would we?

hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 05:07 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I would rather give up two first rounders, a prospect, and a roster player. Also, everyone here is using Frolov as the bargaining chip to replace Kovy but Frolov is a UFA after next season which puts Atlanta in the exact same position they are now with Kovy... If LA wants Kovy, they need to be prepared to overpay and it will be quite a pretty penny going the other way.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 11:27 AM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
For all Atlanta fans get use to these proposals, for some reason Kings fans are calling for Kovy in every thread and it won't stop till one of 3 things happen.
Proposals for Kovalchuk will never stop, no matter whether he is re-signed, traded, or moves back to Russia.

There's no getting used to them, though. At best, these sort of proposals are just silly.

dj4aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 11:32 AM
Ollie Weeks

Too rich for my blood.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 11:37 AM
ArVeeDee

This deal is lame. I can't you people are acting like this is a good trade. Just because you have a mancrush on JJ doesn't make this fair. Kovalchuk is top five in the NHL as far as gamebreakers go.

Am I the only one bothered by the fact that we're trading a pretty solid goalie for a guy who just came onto the scene this year? His .897 SV% doesn't impress me. That and Boyle isn't ever going to be good extremely good.

Kovalchuk>Frolov/Johnson
Lehtonen>Ersberg/Boyle.

Explain to me how this is a good deal for Atlanta? I really doubt that Johnson's value is that high and Frolov is a UFA the same year that Kovalchuk is.

ArVeeDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Folks, Don Waddell and Ilya Kovalchuk are really tight together. My suspicion is that Don's already promised him the money and Ilya's on board. I've never seen an impeding desirably UFA be so gung-ho about his team, especially a team as horrible as Atlanta. Kovy goes out of his way now to promote the team and rally the fans. At the recent Season Ticket Holder Town Hall Meeting, the owners didn't show up...Kovalchuk did and took questions about the team's future. He said Atlanta will get that one big forward they need and have a great year next season.

Last night after the game, he addressed the crowd as the #1 star and promised that with the support of the fans "We will go all the way". Ilya has already said that he wants to win with the team that drafted him...it's a challenge and a matter of pride.

Waddell said at the beginning of last season that he was preparing the owners for a Ovechkin-like contract for Kovalchuk. It's naive to think Don and Ilya haven't already reached a gentleman's agreement.

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

From a Kings fan, not enough going to the ATL, but please dont give up Fro and JMFJ at once

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 12:29 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum View Post
Folks, Don Waddell and Ilya Kovalchuk are really tight together. My suspicion is that Don's already promised him the money and Ilya's on board. I've never seen an impeding desirably UFA be so gung-ho about his team, especially a team as horrible as Atlanta. Kovy goes out of his way now to promote the team and rally the fans. At the recent Season Ticket Holder Town Hall Meeting, the owners didn't show up...Kovalchuk did and took questions about the team's future. He said Atlanta will get that one big forward they need and have a great year next season.

Last night after the game, he addressed the crowd as the #1 star and promised that with the support of the fans "We will go all the way". Ilya has already said that he wants to win with the team that drafted him...it's a challenge and a matter of pride.

Waddell said at the beginning of last season that he was preparing the owners for a Ovechkin-like contract for Kovalchuk. It's naive to think Don and Ilya haven't already reached a gentleman's agreement.
Wow, didn't know all of that went down. Hell of a way to step up as a Captain, which is also another reason why he won't be traded. People who really think their team has a chance of getting Kovie really need to get their heads checked. He can be a top 5 player in the league when he's on (like right now), and I honestly think he will sign an extension sooner than later.

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 12:43 PM
Ace88*

In reality i dont think anyone ever is going to get Kovy. He singlehandedly will probably carry that team to the playoffs the next time they make it in. I love his attitude, he's a great guy and loves his (completely terrible) team. Good for him, and nobody is going to get him.

That's not going to stop the proposals, of course.

Ace88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Zal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I don't normally do these, but here's an idea I had brewing in my head that I figured could potentially help both clubs.

Reasoning behind this offer: Atlanta retools their club by adding players who can help now and down the road. Frolov is signed to a bargain deal and Atlanta could sign him to an extension at a reduced cost.

Jack Johnson gives Atlanta yet another young defenseman to build around along with Zach Bogosian. With Ondrej Pavelec coming up, Atlanta could use a solid backup, and Ersberg is an upgrade over Hedberg.

Brian Boyle gives Atlanta something they lack in their lineup, size up the middle. He has the potential to be a solid checking line center who could contribute, akin to Michal Handzus.

Los Angeles will acquire the coveted winger to play with Kopitar, although they would have to lock him up to a lucrative contract extension as soon as he is acquired. They also acquire a more experienced netminder in Lehtonen who is still trying to live up to the hype that surrounded him as a prospect. With his current contract at $3M, Atlanta sheds some big money and add some assets that could pay major dividends.

Frolov's potential is that of a 30+ goal scorer who will net 70+ points.

Jack Johnson's potential is that of a top 3 defenseman who will log over 20+ minutes of ice time and play in every critical situation.

Erik Ersberg's potential is that of a more than capable backup who can appear in 30 or so games and not be a liability.

Brian Boyle's potential is that of a two-way power center who can be a presence when he wants to be. He is strong on the puck, but is still learning to utilize his advantageous size.
He won't come to the Kings. Three reasons..

1) He re-signs with Atlanta, if not..
2) He goes to a serious contender at the deadline. I.e. SJ, Boston, Detroit, Vancouver, Calgary(high 90's-100's points teams)
3) Dean doesn't have the balls to go after him.

Pipe dreams are wonderful, though.

Zal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 01:03 PM
dutchcrunch14

atl doesnt have much of an offense besides kovalchuk... frolov isnt good enough to fill his void if he leaves... for atl to be successful, they need to somehow get players like in this deal while keeping kovalchuk

dutchcrunch14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 01:07 PM
DarKarTs

Send a message via AIM to DarKarTs Send a message via MSN to DarKarTs Send a message via Skype™ to DarKarTs
I think they should settle on some Solid players to gain some depth.

DarKarTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 01:14 PM
backofthenet

It's funny...We King's Fans spen all season looking to trade Johnson for a top winger and I would bet if it happened, We would spend all next season looking for a player of Johnson's caliber.

Jack Johnson is not a depth player on the Kings. He is a key to the future success.

That is not to say that giving up Johnson + for Kovo is not a fair trade. It is very fair value wise. But it does not make sense.

And no, Hickey, Tuebert, Voinov, Etc. are not "replacements for JJ.

The fact is the Kings have good depth at D right now, but the actual talent level is not where it needs to be at this time.

We have 2, maybe three top 4 dmen. Doughty, Johnson, Quincy.

We have two good 5/6 dmen in Green and OD.

We have a very good utility dman in Harrold.

A decent number 7 in Gauthier.

Get rid of Johnson and we will be scrambling to fill that slot.

Now, if two or three of our young prospect come up and prove they can play that 1-4 spot all the time, then yes, there will be a dman that is expecdable.

But not until then.

We just got to this point of having some decent depth at D, let's enjoy it for a while.

backofthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 01:18 PM
IslesDude

LA is not giving up enough for one of the best players in hockey. Add in a first and swap Boyle for Moller. Replace Lehtonen with Pavelec and Ersberg with Quick.

and

why

do

you

to

type

this

?

IslesDude is offline   Reply With Quote