HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What Holder/Runner should I get?

Old
03-06-2009, 12:22 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

vCash: 500
What Holder/Runner should I get?

as a follow up to my other thread, which holder/runner should i get?

im probably going to get what ever runner comes in the holder so really what im asking is what holder i should get.

if you read the other thread i think you know that i have graf 705s with the cobra holder. i really dont like the forward pitch of it.

many said to get the tuuk lightspeed II, someone else suggested the custom+. are those my two best options? and what is the difference between them. i have skated on custom + but have only skated on LSII once and really couldnt get a good feel for them cause the skate was two sizes too small

basically im looking for the flattest most neutral holder out there. is it worth looking into any other holder? maybe the e-blade or the Prolite? will switching the holder negatively effect the performance of the skate? i have looked into this a bit and noticed alot of graf owners with the cobra holders ended up switching to tuuks because they didnt like the cobras

thanks again everyone

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 07:24 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

is this thing working? for some reason it isnt displaying all of the new threads for me

Old
03-06-2009, 05:04 PM
Stefan It Up

Even the Cobra's steel can be profiled to be more neural if you wanted. Maybe even think about the Pitch 3 holders? You can adjust forward, neutral and backwards pitch on them by yourself.

Stefan It Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 07:28 PM
1manband

I bought a set of Bauer one90's last year, comes with the clear LSII holder, after attacking them with a black permenant marker they look great, however I would suggest you take a look at the LS2.1 as it accomodates the extra long and standard runner if you cant get on with the LSII (extra long).

I personally had them profiled a few months ago and they are much better, you loose a lot of agility with the extra long runner. I am considering a heel lift now but am probably going to be in America over the summer so may get entirely new skates anyway haha.

1manband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 04:53 AM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
as a follow up to my other thread, which holder/runner should i get?

im probably going to get what ever runner comes in the holder so really what im asking is what holder i should get.

if you read the other thread i think you know that i have graf 705s with the cobra holder. i really dont like the forward pitch of it.

many said to get the tuuk lightspeed II, someone else suggested the custom+. are those my two best options? and what is the difference between them. i have skated on custom + but have only skated on LSII once and really couldnt get a good feel for them cause the skate was two sizes too small

basically im looking for the flattest most neutral holder out there. is it worth looking into any other holder? maybe the e-blade or the Prolite? will switching the holder negatively effect the performance of the skate? i have looked into this a bit and noticed alot of graf owners with the cobra holders ended up switching to tuuks because they didnt like the cobras

thanks again everyone
For a neutral stance you will want LS2 or Custom+, without profiling.

I'm a big fan of the LS2 but custom+ is popular for a reason. LS2's hardware is easier and the holder is stiffer, while the custom+ is more spongy. E-Pro and PITCH are in-between.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

thanks guys, im still kind of torn between the LSII and the custom +.

the LSII are probably going to take a little bit getting used to(not nearly as bad cobra NT 3000) but will probably be better in the end. but the custom + are probably going to be an easier transition to make

Old
03-08-2009, 03:31 PM
TBLfan

What were you skating on before?

Old
03-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
What were you skating on before?
ive been a goalie for about 8 years, i was a skater before that but i was pretty young, in the last 18 months or so ive been getting back into skating up a bit more. when i was a goalie i skated on graf 750s, then i borrowed/stole my buddies bauer 2000s with custom+ tuuks on them. i got used to skating on them, though it took a bit because i was so used to goalie skates, but ive been wanting to get a new pair of skates and i loved my graf 750s so i went the graf route for skater's skates and got the 705s.

like i said i dont like the forward pitch of the cobras and got pretty used to the custom+ and i felt very balanced in them and actually was a pretty decent skater in them. i wore the cobras and i felt like one of those kids on your team that cant sktae and looks ridiculous.

again, i guess it would help me in the long run getting the LSII's it would just take some getting used to or i guess it would be a very easy transition if i put the custom+ on them.

i can get a hold of either of them but am i right in the assumption above??

thanks again, TBL ive been reading up a little bit of someone who had a similar question a while ago on the "inlinehockey" website and you helped out so i figured youd be the guy to talk to

Old
03-08-2009, 06:52 PM
TBLfan

No worries man. I'd say if you're going to go with Tuuk, go with custom+, LS2 will be stiffer but that doesn't mean better. The skates still won't feel like a bauer but it will be closer.

OR you could got with PITCH and you can adjust the profile with a simple screw... and if you don't like the holder, you can swap out to Custom+ without further drilling(same hole pattern as PITCH). PITCH has great steel too.

Old
03-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

thanks again TBLFan

Pitch is Mission right?

i know the guy at the pro shop so i can probably get a hook up on what ever holder they have there so im not sure if they have that holder but i will definitley look into it.

actually my old bauers have custom + on them so i could just take tehm from there. i already checked, they are 288 which im pretty sure is what i need

what would be the biggest difference between teh LSII and teh custom+?

like, if you gave me two pairs of graf 705's with LSII and custom+ on each of them and didnt tell me which was which, what would be the thing i noticed about them?

cause honestly, i get caught up in brand names and new technology. like if i hear something new is out, i would probably end up going that direction even if it doesnt benefit ME

thanks again

Old
03-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

hahhaha

TBL

check this out. i subsribed to this thing on YT that reviews hockey equipment and i requested they review the LSII holder and i just checked and they did

let me know what you think

hahaha

question: the hole that needs to be drilled, is that just one hole to access the bolt that releases the blade or is it multiple holes to actually attach the holder to the boot or both?

Last edited by Gunnar Stahl 30: 03-08-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old
03-08-2009, 09:36 PM
TBLfan

The difference between the two is the stiffness, the rivet pattern and the hardware.

Custom+ is spongy(less stiff) some feel this gives you rebound like a flexing stick.
Custom+ needs holes drilled in the sole in the front AND back to change out the steel.

LS2 is the stiffest holder on the market.
LS2 needs a hole in the heel to access the hardware to remove the steel.

BOTH will need to have holes drilled to mount the holders.

*edit - Don't bother watching that video, geez.

Last edited by TBLfan: 03-08-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old
03-08-2009, 10:11 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

gotcha

thanks again, youve been a big help

Old
03-09-2009, 07:13 AM
1manband

if you're torn between the custom + and LSII I would personally say get the lightspeeds. however as I said before go the the 2.1, it fits the long and standard runner so you can choose/ change if you want to. my experience with the long runner is good for speed, but sucks for agility so Ive had them, profiled

as for the drilling, I should imagine there will be an element to fit them, and you'll need a hole in the heel for the allen (hex) key bolt that holds the blade on

Old
03-09-2009, 12:09 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1manband View Post
if you're torn between the custom + and LSII I would personally say get the lightspeeds. however as I said before go the the 2.1, it fits the long and standard runner so you can choose/ change if you want to. my experience with the long runner is good for speed, but sucks for agility so Ive had them, profiled

as for the drilling, I should imagine there will be an element to fit them, and you'll need a hole in the heel for the allen (hex) key bolt that holds the blade on
im not familiar with this, do you/someone mind explaining? is it just a longer blade?

Old
03-09-2009, 04:02 PM
TBLfan

The LS2.1 steel is longer but fits the same as the LS2 steel, so you have two choices of steel length in LS2.

Old
03-09-2009, 04:21 PM
1manband

no problem, in addition to the clear and stiffer holder the lightspeed 2 features a longer runner/blade/metal whatever, the idea behind it is that it gives you a smoother/ longer glide phase therefore more speed, the difference is only 3-4 mm but is noticable.

I have LS2's on a set of One90's, as for the holder, theyre great, however I have had the blade profiled back to "normal" forward rocker. It took a bit of getting used to/ adapting at first, I could have done with a heel lift but I am finding the "standard" rocker a lot better for me, I have quick feet so need the agility but also need the speed which the new profile offers.

The LS2.1 debuted last year with the One95's and One75's, this allows you to have the LS2 long runner (3-4mm longer foudn on the One 90's) and the standard TUUK lightspeed (on most bauers and retorfitted to most nhl skates regardless of boot) as the holder accomodates both. THIS IS WHAT I WOULD SUGGEST AS IT GIVES YOU THE FLEXIBILITY TO CHOOSE WHICH!

In July I am heading to california for 3 months to play hockey, im looking at buying new skates, where I will have no problems buying the boots again I will seek out a different holder.

Any more questions give me a shout

Old
03-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

awesome thanks guys

i wore a pair of XXXX before and they had the clear holders on them. im not sure what that means but i thought i would say it

i cant seem to find the LS2.1 that definitley seems like what i have been seeking all of this time.

Old
03-09-2009, 04:47 PM
TBLfan

The "Clear" blue holders are the LS2Power, they shouldn't even be mentioned here.

The LS2.1 is just the larger steel, it's available for order through every LHS that carries Bauer.

The ONLY difference in the actual holder is the blue graphic versus the red graphic... or grey graphic.

Old
03-09-2009, 04:54 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
The "Clear" blue holders are the LS2Power, they shouldn't even be mentioned here.

The LS2.1 is just the larger steel, it's available for order through every LHS that carries Bauer.

The ONLY difference in the actual holder is the blue graphic versus the red graphic... or grey graphic.
really? thats dumb, cause i was going to ask that.

so on this link there is a LSII holder/runner combo for $30
http://www.hockeygiant.com/bauls2hdssrunsr.html

here is a link for the holder (blue or red graphic) which is $30 WITHOUT the steel
http://www.hockeygiant.com/wheels--b...e-holders.html

Q: why is it the same price with the steel as without? and why on the second link do they only offer whole sizes?

here is a link to the 2.1 steele
http://www.hockeygiant.com/nbhls21pwrrunsr.html

same question, why is it only whole sizes?

and any idea what teh radius is of teh 2.1 and the other steele that comes on the LSII?

thanks again

EDIT: i found out why the combo holder/runner is the same price as teh holder without the steel, its just cause they are on sale or something and trying to get rid of the combos. im an idiot and i forgot to ask why they only have whole sizes though

Old
03-09-2009, 04:54 PM
1manband

http://www.totalhockey.net/tab3.asp?...750&se=Froogle

these are the ones you want

Old
03-09-2009, 06:26 PM
TBLfan

On the whole sizes, it's because of the way it's listed. It's supposed to be listed in mm, not skate size. The holder size crosses over to a few different sizes and width of the skate DOES play a factor.

Old
03-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
On the whole sizes, it's because of the way it's listed. It's supposed to be listed in mm, not skate size. The holder size crosses over to a few different sizes and width of the skate DOES play a factor.
thats what i thought. yea im pretty sure i need 288. that doesnt help cause they dont have it listed by mm there.

i definitley want to get the 2.1 i actually have to pay for them though so thats kind of a downer

thanks guys. i will let you know how it goes. i really appreciate all the help

Old
04-06-2009, 09:42 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

im probably going to post this on modsquad too but

i dont have composite outsoles on my graf 705s, they are just plastic, can the tuuks still be put on them? will it reduce the performance moreso because they are plastic?

Old
04-06-2009, 11:21 PM
TBLfan

You'll be fine. In fact, you'll probably have less problems as Grafs composite outsoles have issues.