HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Glen Sather appreciation thread

Old
03-06-2009, 02:18 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I don't really see how. The team made the playoffs the season after Leetch was traded. There was really no place for Leetch on that team.

And to me the move was more than a hockey move. It was the principle of the trade that bothered me then and bothers me still.
First off, I love Brian Leetch...hes probably my favorite Ranger of all-time and I still have a framed autographed poster of him hanging in my room to this day.

With that said, I, like many Ranger fans, was sickened by watching Smith and Sather pulling the same old crap from 97-04 trying to get this franchise to a respectable level again. When Leetch was traded in '04, it was a sad day in many ways, but it was also the first time I felt like real change was taking place. The trade signified finally removing the old guard from the '94 team and moving in a new direction to me.

Sure, the return kind of sucked (we'll see how Korpikoski and Sauer turn out), and I have issues with the way in which Sather handled it, but I think it helped this franchise turn the page psychologically more than all the deals in that firesale combined.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 02:25 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
In my book C+ is a good grade. I accustomed to F (or FU?) being in Rangerland for so long. Thus, the appreciation for the improvement. Antropov over Dawes, Avery over Prucha and Morris over Kalinin for a few picks. That made my day!
So come June when you've got nothing but fewer draft picks you'll be super happy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
Wade Redden is still making $6.5 million for the next 5/6 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I think that's a positive as long as he keeps his play up.
You can't be serious.....If his play was at ice level he's got to bring it up into the rafters before he's even getting close. If he's not scoring in the top 20 defensemen and playing solid defense, that amount is not a positive.

Last edited by vipernsx: 03-06-2009 at 02:33 PM.
vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 02:32 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Im not a big fan of Sather, but I keep seeing this brought up and I feel like I have to defend him.

Trading Leetch was 100% necessary in order for this franchise to finally move forward.
Brian Leetch would have looked awfully good on the Rangers blueline in 05-06 & 06-07 with Jagr up front dominating teams and Hank in goal.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 02:37 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
First off, I love Brian Leetch...hes probably my favorite Ranger of all-time and I still have a framed autographed poster of him hanging in my room to this day.

With that said, I, like many Ranger fans, was sickened by watching Smith and Sather pulling the same old crap from 97-04 trying to get this franchise to a respectable level again. When Leetch was traded in '04, it was a sad day in many ways, but it was also the first time I felt like real change was taking place. The trade signified finally removing the old guard from the '94 team and moving in a new direction to me.

Sure, the return kind of sucked (we'll see how Korpikoski and Sauer turn out), and I have issues with the way in which Sather handled it, but I think it helped this franchise turn the page psychologically more than all the deals in that firesale combined.
The change came with the introduction of the salary cap and the fact that they had two drafts without playing a s season.

I fail to see how trading Brian Leetch five week after trading for Jaromir Jagr was a change in direction.

03-06-2009, 02:38 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Brian Leetch would have looked awfully good on the Rangers blueline in 05-06 & 06-07 with Jagr up front dominating teams and Hank in goal.
It certainly would have made the Ozolinsh trade unnecessary.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 03:11 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post

The very fact that he sent two RFA's pakcing is because he HAD to. His gross mismanagement of the cap and undervaluing of his assets continues no matter how this team plays.
Dawes is really going to break the bank this summer.You are so right the Rangers couldn't afford to pay him $600,000 next season.

Prucha isn't worth $1.6 million.The Coyotes aren't paying $1.6 million next season.

Undervaluing of assets?That's funny.

From all of their group II's,Sather lopped off the two most expendable and didn't move the other 5 key group II's.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 03:12 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
So come June when you've got nothing but fewer draft picks you'll be super happy?
What makes you think we will not fit Antropov and Morris in? We aren't targeting anyone else next summer, are we? We can't afford anymore elite forwards since we got Gomer and Dru. So those thinking about Gaborik and/or Kovalchuk should be happy with Antropov. I am. Even if we let them go, the team looks by far much better than that in Sept. The season ain't over and I don't care about June while still in March.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 03:28 PM
oliverl97

Guys you do know that the Morris trade for Prucha Kalinin and Dawes was to clear cap space. Right?

oliverl97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 03:35 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I don't really see how. The team made the playoffs the season after Leetch was traded. There was really no place for Leetch on that team.

And to me the move was more than a hockey move. It was the principle of the trade that bothered me then and bothers me still.

Eh, I have to agree he needed to be traded, hated it but I thought it had to be done since we were in full blown rebuild mode at the time. Would have been nicer if the stuff we got turned out better though of course (though Korpi has been nice for us).

When it comes down to it, the team is a business, and we need to look for the future and always look to improve..that is what Sather tried to do.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 03:43 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Im not a big fan of Sather, but I keep seeing this brought up and I feel like I have to defend him.

Trading Leetch was 100% necessary in order for this franchise to finally move forward.
I don't consider this a terrible thing either. Just another reason why I don't think one trade deadline gets Sather a get-out-of-jail card. Was it necessary? No. We really just should not have ever made Leetch the captain. Was it probably the right thing to do? Given the situation, yeah. Was it worth it? Probably not.

In the end, wasn't it essentially Leetch for Korpikoski? We traded the 1st and 2nd we got from that deal to move up from 24 to 19. Kondratiev and Immonen are obvious washes. Had we picked Zajac, Wolski, Meszaros, or Mike Green with that pick, I think it would have been worth it. Korpikoski is decent but he's not a player I'm in love with. I would have preferred an untarnished Ranger for life status of Leetch. He only played one more season and I'd imagine Tom Renney and some guy called Jagr would have had a great time with him.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I didn't like the way Slats went about it, but Leetch had value and we needed the picks. Rebuilding is hard, no doubt.

I love Korpikoski, always have. He busts his ass, compliments scoring forwards and makes plays, great team player who should be here for a long time.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 05:42 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Its impossible for us to know all the hard work Sather actually does put into to managing the team. I know he probably says NO THANKS to many deals involving Dubi, Staal, Cally..

Two weeks ago this team was vanilla as they could be. Thats due to Slats being ultra loyal and patient to his coach. He waited too long to make the coaching change, but thats just my opinion. And I like Renny. Its just really looked like the coach had lost the team, or lost sight of what to do with the team.

Today they look promising. Bigger, tougher and some degree of better offense.

Some say the Avery deal is a gimmee because NY is the only place he could play, but I dont agree. Avery is a good player and there are other options. NY is just the BEST place for him to play

He lost Jagr and Shanny and Straka

He gave guys like Prucha and Dawes a chance to make it up and they came up short.

He did EXACTLY what I would have wanted him to do. Roll the quantity of forwards into a QUALITY upgrade.

My only regret, a small one. Is Reitz got picked up off waivers. He would have been a good insurance player in Hartford

Last edited by I Am Chariot: 03-06-2009 at 06:00 PM.
I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 08:25 PM
DonovanMD

Thank God Sather left the Oilers when he did. I was shocked to see a Sather appreciation thread in here, but the responses are as venomous as I expected.

DonovanMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 08:54 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post

My only regret, a small one. Is Reitz got picked up off waivers. He would have been a good insurance player in Hartford
I suspect Reitz was a down payment on Antropov trade.

Old
03-06-2009, 09:46 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I'm gonna have to completely disagree. The Morris trade was decent if unspectacular, but the Antropov trade was another in a long line of boneheaded moves. This team is NOT a Cup contender - period. Trading a 2nd in one of the deepest in recent memory for a rental is not what this franchise needs. I like Antropov as a player, but we should not have been serious buyers this year - it's pointless.

As long as Sather is at the helm we are doomed to a position of mediocrity, where we win a few games in the playoffs and head to the golf course.

03-06-2009, 09:58 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
run that statement by Boston fans. Leetch was done after the lockout.

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
putting him on waivers is the most illogical way of getting him to Toronto.

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 10:05 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
No doubt Reitz was the key to the trade. Without him the whole thing falls apart. Yep, that's the ticket.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 10:13 PM
czechmate25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
I'm gonna have to completely disagree. The Morris trade was decent if unspectacular, but the Antropov trade was another in a long line of boneheaded moves. This team is NOT a Cup contender - period. Trading a 2nd in one of the deepest in recent memory for a rental is not what this franchise needs. I like Antropov as a player, but we should not have been serious buyers this year - it's pointless.

As long as Sather is at the helm we are doomed to a position of mediocrity, where we win a few games in the playoffs and head to the golf course.

I agree with everything except I'm not sure this team is even playoff bound. It's only a matter of time before Pittsburgh goes blowing by....so by my estimation, it comes down to Florida, Buffalo, Carolina and the Rangers for 2 spots. Wanna look at our remaining schedule? Take in to account that NYR is the lowest scoring team in the league.....and our scoring deficiency wasn't erased at the deadline. If this team does reach the post season, it is a 1st round exit.....there are no shootouts in the playoffs. I guess back to back wins against the two worst teams in the league has some people pumped up....sweet.

Trading away young players, one of which was a huge fan favorite but both with an offensive up-side if used properly, along with picks in a deep draft for two players who won't have that much of an impact on this team is a joke.

But yeah, Sather needs some appreciation.

czechmate25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 10:42 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
Sather won't go through another re-build whether you're right or not. Wait enough and you'll see another GM, but that next one will do the same thing. This is NY, we win nothing through the farm. We buy the Cup. We do not need any stinking picks to produce another Lundmarks, Malhotras, Brendls, Jessemans, etc. We glad when guys like Staal and Dubi are penned out, but this place is about excitement when big name is signed. It is wrong, but that's the way it is. We are not Buffalo or Calgary. We are New York City. And if you look what Detroit is done, you'd agree it is possible to have it both ways. I know Sather is not Holland, but we do not have better.
If draft is deep like you said the 3rd rounder should also be promising and 1st rounder was untouched Wed.

I don't think we're making playoffs either, but I have wasted enough time this season watching this team to throw the March away completely and start waiting for the June, the July and the October again. Thanks, for the March, Slats.

Old
03-06-2009, 11:38 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
lol @ thread title.

If we miss the playoffs, which is still very possible, the man is fired.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 01:52 AM
Cake or Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers2009 View Post
Rangers fan proving why other teams fans consider us the worst fans in the league....

Be positive for once
Who ... Habs fans? What, we have to destroy the city when we win/lose to be taken seriously?

Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 07:35 AM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHookUp View Post
One thing I kinda give credit to Sather... he always seems to be able to fix things. He turned all of our overpaid UFA's into a nice prospect pool before the lockout.
I personally think all those moves were the Rangers' version of tanking it for Crosby but that's besides the point. I don't know how you can look at all the deadline deals as some sort of success. The only deal that really paid off dividends was getting Betts for Simon.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 10:08 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
this is how THN rates our deadline trades.....

NEW YORK RANGERS
Additions: Mark Bell, C (Toronto); Sean Avery, C (Dallas); Nik Antropov, RW (Toronto); Derek Morris, D (Phoenix)

Deletions: Erik Reitz, D (Toronto); 2009 second round draft pick (Toronto); 2009 conditional draft pick (Toronto); Nigel Dawes, LW (Phoenix); Petr Prucha, RW (Phoenix); Dmitri Kalinin, D (Phoenix)

Bottom Line: Is there any rhyme or reason in any moves Glen Sather makes these days? He plucks Bell and Avery off waivers when no other organization would touch them; he deals for a defenseman in Morris who likely won’t be around next season and is a minus-13 this year; and he brings in a forward in Antropov who arguably is the most streaky scorer on that team (and that’s saying something). Sather truly is putting the “blue” in blueprint.

Grade: D+

Lets just hope they got it all wrong.
I still believe we could and should have done better than that.

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 10:32 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
lol @ thread title.

If we miss the playoffs, which is still very possible, the man is fired.
Wanna bet?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote