HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phillies Spring Training Thread

Old
03-09-2009, 11:42 AM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

vCash: 500
Phillies Spring Training Thread

I didn't see one of these, and I felt one was necessary.

We have quite a few story lines going on this spring training, from the battle for the 5th spot between Happ/Carrasco/Park/Kendrick, to John Mayberry's surprising spring training, to Utley and Feliz's recovery from offseason surgeries.

Speak your mind about your World "****ing" Champions Philadelphia Phillies!

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 11:44 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff VanRichards View Post
I didn't see one of these, and I felt one was necessary.

We have quite a few story lines going on this spring training, from the battle for the 5th spot between Happ/Carrasco/Park/Kendrick, to John Mayberry's surprising spring training, to Utley and Feliz's recovery from offseason surgeries.

Speak your mind about your World "****ing" Champions Philadelphia Phillies!
Does anyone think Marson will make this team? I think the bench will be much improved this season.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 11:44 AM
Defmincex13

Rollin's potential back issues?

Defmincex13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 11:56 AM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Does anyone think Marson will make this team? I think the bench will be much improved this season.
I don't think so, the acquisition of Paulino took that out of the question IMO. I think he needs more time in the minors anyways, he really has very little power...which isn't THAT important, but I'd like him to work on it more. He has excellent plate vision, and has showed that in the minors (AA), but he needs atleast a little more to his swing. Right now, he'd be a strictly singles hitter, and would draw some walks. We'll see though, I could see him being a mid-season callup if he is tearing it up.

Old
03-09-2009, 12:13 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
I think its possible. Ruiz might have hurt himself at the WBC.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 01:37 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Quote:
I don't think so, the acquisition of Paulino took that out of the question IMO. I think he needs more time in the minors anyways, he really has very little power...which isn't THAT important, but I'd like him to work on it more. He has excellent plate vision, and has showed that in the minors (AA), but he needs atleast a little more to his swing. Right now, he'd be a strictly singles hitter, and would draw some walks. We'll see though, I could see him being a mid-season callup if he is tearing it up.
The thing that Lou has to really work on is his arm. He doesn't really have a great one, runners tend to take advantage of that too.

Ronny Paulino to me was a dumb move, there is no way that we need 2 DEFENSIVE catchers on the team, which is exactly what Paulino and Ruiz are. Coste at least had an offensive upside and didn't leave the automatic out at the 8-hole. Plus, Carlos Ruiz is a walking double-play.

JDinkalage Morgoone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 01:43 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
The thing that Lou has to really work on is his arm. He doesn't really have a great one, runners tend to take advantage of that too.

Ronny Paulino to me was a dumb move, there is no way that we need 2 DEFENSIVE catchers on the team, which is exactly what Paulino and Ruiz are. Coste at least had an offensive upside and didn't leave the automatic out at the 8-hole. Plus, Carlos Ruiz is a walking double-play.

Old
03-09-2009, 02:37 PM
mm6492

I really like Mayberry. Manuel has been working with him alot, trying to have him open up his stance and attack the inside pitch

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 02:48 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
I think its possible. Ruiz might have hurt himself at the WBC.
He played last night. He's fine.

I think Mayberry makes this team, either in camp or not terribly long into the season. I've been higher and higher on this guy since the day we got him. Easy solution to the righty we need off the bench and and athletic 5th OF.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 02:53 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
I really like Mayberry. Manuel has been working with him alot, trying to have him open up his stance and attack the inside pitch
I think he'll end up being the righty off the bench. I hope its Jenkins that is out, but highly doubt it, his contract is just too much to be able to trade. I think Stairs is as good as gone...its a shame, cause I'd like to have that lefty power off the bench. Its alright though, he did his job in the playoffs last year, all we needed from him was 1 hit in 1 AB, and he provided it.

Amaro is looking like a genius so far with the Golson-Mayberry trade however, I'm hoping we have a late-bloomer in Mayberry. He kinda reminds me of Howard when he was in the minors, if he can fix just a couple things with his approach, he will blow up. Howard had to be able to hit the high-inside fastball in order to be a successful MLB player, I'd say he's gotten that down.

I trust Manuel, if anyone can get Mayberry to refine his approach at the plate, its Charlie.

Old
03-09-2009, 04:41 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
I think he'll end up being the righty off the bench. I hope its Jenkins that is out, but highly doubt it, his contract is just too much to be able to trade. I think Stairs is as good as gone...its a shame, cause I'd like to have that lefty power off the bench. Its alright though, he did his job in the playoffs last year, all we needed from him was 1 hit in 1 AB, and he provided it.

Amaro is looking like a genius so far with the Golson-Mayberry trade however, I'm hoping we have a late-bloomer in Mayberry. He kinda reminds me of Howard when he was in the minors, if he can fix just a couple things with his approach, he will blow up. Howard had to be able to hit the high-inside fastball in order to be a successful MLB player, I'd say he's gotten that down.

I trust Manuel, if anyone can get Mayberry to refine his approach at the plate, its Charlie.

Milt Thompson might have something to say about that!

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 04:49 PM
UseYourAllusion

The Ibanez signing made zero sense to me.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 05:11 PM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
I love the Philllllllllllllies!
That is all.

Anyone going to the April 7th game against the Braves?
Meet up with me.
Ill hook you up propper, just ask GoKimmyJ.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 06:44 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
The Ibanez signing made zero sense to me.
more consistent and less strikeouts then burrel

And I heard Gillick is the one who told Amaro to get Mayberry. They said gillick was always hiGH on this kid

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 07:37 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
more consistent and less strikeouts then burrel

And I heard Gillick is the one who told Amaro to get Mayberry. They said gillick was always hiGH on this kid
I hear your argument but I don't think it stands up to the lefty-lefty-lefty argument against it. That to me is a HUGE problem. The Phils have enough problems with hitting the late inning LOOGYs. Last year Raul only had 26 less Ks than Burrell which to me isn't too big of a difference. Pat was one of the best in the big leagues at getting on base too at a clip of .367. One of the most disciplined hitters on the team and a definite righty power threat. Ibanez numbers are skewed to me because he was the only hitter on the Mariners for a number of years. Burrell had 86 RBIs behind a guy who had 146 and a guy who had 104. That means there wasn't a whole lot left on base for Pat to clean up!

Old
03-09-2009, 08:07 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
I hear your argument but I don't think it stands up to the lefty-lefty-lefty argument against it. That to me is a HUGE problem. The Phils have enough problems with hitting the late inning LOOGYs. Last year Raul only had 26 less Ks than Burrell which to me isn't too big of a difference. Pat was one of the best in the big leagues at getting on base too at a clip of .367. One of the most disciplined hitters on the team and a definite righty power threat. Ibanez numbers are skewed to me because he was the only hitter on the Mariners for a number of years. Burrell had 86 RBIs behind a guy who had 146 and a guy who had 104. That means there wasn't a whole lot left on base for Pat to clean up!
Also Ibanez is equally terrible in the field and older.

EDIT: Not arguing in favor of resigning Burrell, necessarily, just I'm not a fan of Ibanez.

Old
03-09-2009, 08:46 PM
mercury

I will be at the St. Patrick's Day game in Clearwater. There will be a major tailgate going on outside the main gate.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 09:05 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Honestly guys, I think we will grow to like Ibanez...not that it matters too much, but he seems like a great guy in the interviews. He won't be streaky like Burrell, which will make our offense more consistent (which has ALWAYS been a problem). Burrell trumps Ibanez in OPS and OBP, which are by far the best qualities to have in a hitter, however, I think we can live without him. We have Utley and Werth who are fantastic OPS/OBP players, Werth obviously coming onto the scene just the past 2 years, but he will, IMO take over Burrell's spot in the order. I don't think Manuel will have Utley, Howard, Ibanez in order, even though Utley and Ibanez are good against lefties.

Old
03-09-2009, 09:13 PM
mercury

Quote:
Honestly guys, I think we will grow to like Ibanez...not that it matters too much, but he seems like a great guy in the interviews. He won't be streaky like Burrell, which will make our offense more consistent (which has ALWAYS been a problem). Burrell trumps Ibanez in OPS and OBP, which are by far the best qualities to have in a hitter, however, I think we can live without him. We have Utley and Werth who are fantastic OPS/OBP players, Werth obviously coming onto the scene just the past 2 years, but he will, IMO take over Burrell's spot in the order. I don't think Manuel will have Utley, Howard, Ibanez in order, even though Utley and Ibanez are good against lefties.

I will miss Burrell (especially laughing at him running at full speed), but Ibanez's BA and OBP should be about .40 higher than Burrell's.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 09:16 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
I will miss Burrell (especially laughing at him running at full speed), but Ibanez's BA and OBP should be about .40 higher than Burrell's.
And Ibanez is moving from a deep pitchers park to a shallow hitters park, with a very short porch in RF. His SLG should theoretically go up as well...although I had expected Feliz to be able to hit almost 25 HR's coming from SF to PHI, and that didn't happen.

One thing that Ibanez will probably get grilled for is his defense, which frankly was worse than Burrell last year. He will get full time in the OF, as opposed to DHing, and he will also have less ground to cover, but I don't think he's going to improve much.

Old
03-09-2009, 09:18 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Pete and Repeat were on a boat. Pete fell off. Who was left?

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 09:19 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
According to baseball prospectus:

Burrell in 09: .236/.364/.454

Ibanez in 09: .293/.356/.479

so BA yes, OBP no

/obviously not gospel, but usually on the ball

Old
03-09-2009, 09:57 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
According to baseball prospectus:

Burrell in 09: .236/.364/.454

Ibanez in 09: .293/.356/.479

so BA yes, OBP no

/obviously not gospel, but usually on the ball
I'm willing to bet that Pat hits above .290 this year, the .236 is ridiculous. The Trop is an easy park to hit in IMO from what I've seen. Pat as a DH will be awesome.

Old
03-09-2009, 10:16 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:

Quote:
[/B]
Milt Thompson might have something to say about that!
I don't know who it is, but somebody in the Phils organization has the magic cure for toolsy guys who get saddled down with the Stanford Swing. Mayberry is looking like a steal and come September we're going to be talking about how we should bring up Mike Taylor after he beats the **** out of the minors this year.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 11:17 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
I'm willing to bet that Pat hits above .290 this year, the .236 is ridiculous. The Trop is an easy park to hit in IMO from what I've seen. Pat as a DH will be awesome.
I agree on the .236 being ridiculous. BP does tend to lowball stats from time to time. But Pat has never hit .290 and I don't expect him to start now. I'd say ~.260.