HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Cage fit question

Old
03-08-2009, 07:17 PM
spjon25

vCash: 500
Cage fit question

Hey all, had a question about a cage fitting on my helmet. Just picked up a new V10 helmet and a Bauer 9500 cage since I had read good reviews about it here. Now the problem that I am having is that it is not sliding all the way up into the J clips on the side of the helmet. Is this something I should be worried about. I bought a Large helmet and a large cage.

Also, how can I shave the chin cup down. I like the chin cup being on my helmet the way it is, and the 9500's chin cup is comfy. Seems like my chin is preventing the helmet from going all the way up. COuld this be the problem

Gracias folks

spjon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 07:22 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

It doesn't need to go all the way up. And the Chin cup is dependent on what cage you buy. You say the 9500's chin cup is fine, why would you want to shave it down?

But not going up the the j clips is fine as long as it fits your face.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 11:57 PM
IniNew

Yeah, no shaving necessary. Just lengthen the side straps on the cage and everything should fit fine.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 07:32 AM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by IniNew View Post
Yeah, no shaving necessary. Just lengthen the side straps on the cage and everything should fit fine.
And if you are concern about the "J" clips, just adjust them down.

Head coach

03-09-2009, 12:59 PM
SyracuseBulldogs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
It doesn't need to go all the way up. And the Chin cup is dependent on what cage you buy. You say the 9500's chin cup is fine, why would you want to shave it down?

But not going up the the j clips is fine as long as it fits your face.
False, the point of the J clips is to stop the cage from breaking your jaw when you get hit. The J clips should be adjusted so that the cage stops in them before it drives into your jaw/chin.

SyracuseBulldogs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post

Head coach
If the helmet in the area of the j clips is not at the same angle as the adjacent cage, any amount of normal adjusting may simply not work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyracuseBulldogs View Post
False, the point of the J clips is to stop the cage from breaking your jaw when you get hit. The J clips should be adjusted so that the cage stops in them before it drives into your jaw/chin.
I'm not sure how effective they are at doing that, even when properly fitted. They probably reduce the blow to some extent.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 01:55 PM
Henrique Iglesias
Let's go Albany

The 9500 cage has a free floating chin cup, so it should be able to adjust to your face.

Henrique Iglesias is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 02:23 PM
SyracuseBulldogs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
I'm not sure how effective they are at doing that, even when properly fitted. They probably reduce the blow to some extent.
If the cage and clips are adjusted properly they stop the cage from going any further in after contact.

Old
03-09-2009, 03:21 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
If the cage and clips are adjusted properly they stop the cage from going any further in after contact.
They push on the helmet, which surely would fly off if not for the loading on the chin cup, so there is some spreading of the load but the clips seem secondary IMO.

Old
03-10-2009, 08:45 AM
spjon25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post

Head coach
The J Clips are already at the lowest position on the helmet.

When I played on Sunday I looked, and it seemed tha the cage was barely in the J clips at all (one side had an inch or two at least from being fully in the J clips.

The only reason I was wondering is cause I really don't want to get my chin torn up like some dude on another team who took a spill and the cage hit his jaw when he fell

spjon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 09:26 AM
GuitarAwesome

Seriously, I had my cage dislodged on a hit, and my chin was not a pretty sight. You need to make sure it's fit properly. If the clips are already at the bottom, I'm not sure what to tell you, perhaps try loosening the straps near the chin strap, and put the cup lower to get more of the cage into the clips?

GuitarAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 09:49 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

What prevents the cage from coming dislodged is not the j clip. It's the chin cup and wearing the thing properly with straps tight.

Old
03-10-2009, 05:17 PM
SyracuseBulldogs*

Quote:
They push on the helmet, which surely would fly off if not for the loading on the chin cup, so there is some spreading of the load but the clips seem secondary IMO.
If the helmet is sized properly and the straps tightened properly then there will be minimal contact and movement once the cage hits the J clip.They are specifically made to prevent the cage from going to far in, which can cause broken jaws. If they were secondary they would not waste the time or money on them.

Old
03-11-2009, 12:00 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
If the helmet is sized properly and the straps tightened properly then there will be minimal contact and movement once the cage hits the J clip.They are specifically made to prevent the cage from going to far in, which can cause broken jaws. If they were secondary they would not waste the time or money on them.
You may be right or not, and a lot of it must depend on the proper fit and adjustment, but I don't understand your thinking on that part. They seem pretty inexpensive for something that helps maintain alignment and transfers part of the blow to the helmet thus reducing some of the impact even if not primary.

When you get hit hard on the lower cage, say with a real solid shot with a shoulder or elbow, do you not feel it on the chin, through the chin cup? (Serious question because I may be underestimating their effect. I've paid more attention to the alignment and fit of the chin cup than the j clips)

Old
03-11-2009, 11:31 AM
SyracuseBulldogs*

Quote:
You may be right or not, and a lot of it must depend on the proper fit and adjustment, but I don't understand your thinking on that part. They seem pretty inexpensive for something that helps maintain alignment and transfers part of the blow to the helmet thus reducing some of the impact even if not primary.

When you get hit hard on the lower cage, say with a real solid shot with a shoulder or elbow, do you not feel it on the chin, through the chin cup? (Serious question because I may be underestimating their effect. I've paid more attention to the alignment and fit of the chin cup than the j clips)
If your helmet is fit correctly the helmet should not move when you get hit and your chin should not be fitting snug on the chin cup.

Old
03-11-2009, 01:00 PM
IniNew

Quote:
If your helmet is fit correctly the helmet should not move when you get hit and your chin should not be fitting snug on the chin cup.
Why wouldn't you want it to fit snuggly on the chin cup? That seems backwards. If your chin fits snuggly, instead of the chin cup being hit INTO your chin, it should spread the impact along the cup and lessen the impact on your chin, not too mention keep your helmet on. Think football helmets.

Then again, I'm from Texas and did grow up playing football so I may be wrong, but wearing my helmet with the chin strap and chin cup straps tighter felt much better for me.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 01:44 PM
huge*

Send a message via MSN to huge* Send a message via Skype™ to huge*
cage? you russian.

/don cherry impression

huge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 03:33 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by IniNew View Post
Why wouldn't you want it to fit snuggly on the chin cup? That seems backwards. If your chin fits snuggly, instead of the chin cup being hit INTO your chin, it should spread the impact along the cup and lessen the impact on your chin, not too mention keep your helmet on. Think football helmets.

Then again, I'm from Texas and did grow up playing football so I may be wrong, but wearing my helmet with the chin strap and chin cup straps tighter felt much better for me.
No, you're right. Wearing it with the chin cup off the face is something that a lot of kids like to do because it's apparently more cool to have your cage flopping around then to have it protecting your face.

Old
03-11-2009, 04:27 PM
SyracuseBulldogs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
No, you're right. Wearing it with the chin cup off the face is something that a lot of kids like to do because it's apparently more cool to have your cage flopping around then to have it protecting your face.
Who said anything about the chin cup being off the face or the cage flopping around?

Old
03-11-2009, 06:38 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Who said anything about the chin cup being off the face or the cage flopping around?
Well, when it's not snug it's going to hang off the face. That's determined by gravity. Unless by snug you meant too tight and pressing hard against your face, in which case the phrase would be "too tight".

Snug but not tight is how a cage is supposed to fit.

Old
03-12-2009, 09:45 PM
SyracuseBulldogs*

Wow, splitting hairs a bit aren't you? Fine, you win the internet.

Old
03-20-2009, 06:11 PM
greyraven8

was having the same problem with my jofa helmet. the j-clips were too high up for my cage and longer face.

made my own clips out of the strapping you use to hold up duct and furnace pipes.

cut a piece of material, doubled it over, filed the ends, painted it with a spray rust paint, put a helmet screw through the hole and attached to helmet; bent it in the right shape.

had it for many years (as you can see by the rust and lack of paint left).

greyraven8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 06:38 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Well, depending on how much clearance you have where the cage mounts and swing up on the helmet, turn the clips upside down where the circle holder is up instead of down. This will bring the cage up about a half an inch.

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote