HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Just wondering on deadline deals that didnt happen?

Old
03-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Brophy

vCash: 500
Just wondering on deadline deals that didnt happen?

Im just curious to see if any of you know of deadline day deals that were on the table that have gone but didnt happen for whatever reason?

Brophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 06:27 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I saw somewhere that the Flyers were discussing Lupul, Upshall, JVR and a pick for J-Bo. Florida said they wanted Hartnell too, which is horrible overpayment...

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
I saw somewhere that the Flyers were discussing Lupul, Upshall, JVR and a pick for J-Bo. Florida said they wanted Hartnell too, which is horrible overpayment...
I saw that too but it wasnt lupul AND upshall it was lupul or Upshall, JVR and a 1st. Florida wanted hartnell instead of lupul or upshall and the Flyers wouldnt budge.

I guess that lets everyone know where Hartnell stands, they clearly think he is much more valuable than Lupul if they wouldnt make the upgrade from Lupul to Hartnell. Either way that trade is a huge overpayment for a FA to be.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 06:43 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
I saw that too but it wasnt lupul AND upshall it was lupul or Upshall, JVR and a 1st. Florida wanted hartnell instead of lupul or upshall and the Flyers wouldnt budge.

I guess that lets everyone know where Hartnell stands, they clearly think he is much more valuable than Lupul if they wouldnt make the upgrade from Lupul to Hartnell. Either way that trade is a huge overpayment for a FA to be.
And I would totally agree that Hartnell is more valuable than Lupul.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 07:00 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 10000
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Upshall was apparently very close to going back to Nashville.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 07:00 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
And I would totally agree that Hartnell is more valuable than Lupul.
Oh def, but its a little surprising that it was obviously so much of a gap between the 2 in Homer's eyes that the trade couldnt be worked out. The fact that it was upshall or Lupul for sale means the flyers view them two about similar in value where as before the season hartnell and lupul were closer in value and much higher than Upshall. Lupul has taken a nose dive in value.

Old
03-09-2009, 07:01 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
That report was from the Ottawa Sun, and I don't know the credibility there.

I find it really hard to believe that any deal wouldn't have included a defenseman going the other way.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Apparently we were granted an extension on the deadline to negotiate a contract with Lehtonen, but when one couldn't be agreed upon, the trade didn't happen.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 08:06 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Apparently we were granted an extension on the deadline to negotiate a contract with Lehtonen, but when one couldn't be agreed upon, the trade didn't happen.
Does that happen often? Must have been really close if they were granted extra time.

Old
03-09-2009, 08:20 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Count me as happy that didn't happen. I was not interested in Lehtonen. Especially at the cost of JVR, as I saw reported.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 08:35 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Wasnt there another rumor of something like Giroux, Coburn, 1st, and something else for J-bo?

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 08:39 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Wasnt there another rumor of something like Giroux, Coburn, 1st, and something else for J-bo?
That was a Florida fan who posted that deal. I didn't see anywhere else where that deal was being reported.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 08:40 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
That was a Florida fan who posted that deal. I didn't see anywhere else where that deal was being reported.
Oh really? Thanks yea have the time I cant tell with all the rumors going around this place.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 09:15 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I think there was something with Nashville that involved Upshall, Niittymaki, and Dan Ellis. Apparently Poile was upset not to get Upshall back.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 07:44 AM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
The fact that it was upshall or Lupul for sale means the flyers view them two about similar in value where as before the season hartnell and lupul were closer in value and much higher than Upshall. Lupul has taken a nose dive in value.
And yet we still undervalued Upshall in a trade.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 08:08 AM
Banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Upshall was apparently very close to going back to Nashville.
I also heard there were talks of Lupul going to Nashville as well. I don't know what the return was.

Banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 08:15 AM
Chuck Downie
Berube is Chief

vCash: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banger View Post
I also heard there were talks of Lupul going to Nashville as well. I don't know what the return was.
Could have been. Glenn Healy said on the Fan590 that Nashville ahd a 4 player trade that they couldn't do because of Nashville's self improsed cap. He said that it was a 190k difference between the deal being done or not.

Chuck Downie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 08:19 AM
Nuclear

What type of player are we expecting JVR to be? Are we undervaluing him? He was picked 2nd overall, do we think he'd be a 60/pt a year player? There's a stigma with trading a pick that was that high in the draft in my mind personally. I'd just hate to see in 3 years even if we did have a successful JBo, JVR was a 30 goal/ year player before his prime

Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 08:22 AM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear View Post
What type of player are we expecting JVR to be? Are we undervaluing him? He was picked 2nd overall, do we think he'd be a 60/pt a year player? There's a stigma with trading a pick that was that high in the draft in my mind personally. I'd just hate to see in 3 years even if we did have a successful JBo, JVR was a 30 goal/ year player before his prime
I've heard comparisons to Rick Nash, but I don't know...Rick Nash is a ****ing beast!!! I thought he was more of a playmaker than a goal scorer. I've also read that he's labeled as a power forward, but I don't think it's necessarily of the physical variety, rather than size and his strength on the puck.

Old
03-10-2009, 08:28 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear View Post

Given the size and obvious other similarities....I always come back to Bobby Ryan. Both are big but neither really is a "power forward" in the truest sense of the word. Both big skilled guys that can skate. I'd think JVR would be the stronger skater of the two but Ryan's obviously strengthened his during his stint in the minors. If JVR does attain Ryan's status in the NHL, we're going to have some fun here. I expected more at the WJC'S but he was still very impressive in spurts. There are posters who know much more about him and could give a much better analysis than mine though.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 11:43 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
That report was from the Ottawa Sun, and I don't know the credibility there.

I find it really hard to believe that any deal wouldn't have included a defenseman going the other way.
Yeah, the fact that it cames from the Ottawa Sun makes it pretty unbelievable, IMO. I don't even think the Panthers could afford to take on that much salary. Jacques Martin also specifically said he was looking for a top 4 defenseman in return.

Quote:
I don't really believe this one since Lehtonen is an RFA so there was no need to rush to sign Lehtonen to an extension on deadline day. It doesn't make sense to me.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 01:10 PM
hockeyguy10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Yeah, the fact that it cames from the Ottawa Sun makes it pretty unbelievable, IMO. I don't even think the Panthers could afford to take on that much salary. Jacques Martin also specifically said he was looking for a top 4 defenseman in return.

I don't really believe this one since Lehtonen is an RFA so there was no need to rush to sign Lehtonen to an extension on deadline day. It doesn't make sense to me.
Im glad it didnt happen if it was close. Im not sold on Lehtonen being the goalie we need. Hes good but with his injury history and the fact that the Flyers light him up every game its tough to have confidence in him. But also there arent too many options out there besides trading for a Dan Ellis so who knows whats best.

hockeyguy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 02:12 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

JVR is a better skater then Bobby Ryan.
I still think there is a shot Bouwmeester gets traded at the draft. Of course they will not get nearly the same package as they could have gotten if they dealt him at the deadline. Dont shock me in the least that Florida wanted Hartnell over Lupul, both will be making pretty much the same money next season and Hartnell brings more to the table.
I still think Lupul could get traded at the draft as well. Maybe to Minnesota for Harding. The Wild will need a scoring winger to replace Gaborik who is probably done in Minnesota. Philly will need a goaltender. makes sense to me anyway.
If Holmer would have traded Coburn for a unsigned Bouwmeester he should be fired on the spot.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 03:09 PM
Brophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banger View Post

I think I remember it was Hamhius(sp)..coming back.

Last edited by Brophy: 03-10-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Brophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Not just the newspapers credibility, but roster spots for each player...it just didn't add up. It was rumoured that the Canucks were dangling Bieksa in a package for JBo, and if I were JM, I'd much rather Bieksa than Carle or Jones.