HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Going from inline to ice

Old
03-05-2009, 03:29 PM
LTNINGFan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LTNINGFan Send a message via Yahoo to LTNINGFan
Going from inline to ice

Hi folks,

I have been playing inline hockey for the last 12 years, off and on. I would consider myself an average players, and being at 41, my game is not where it was. Slower, less stamina, you get the picture.

But, after all these years, I have never played ice. I have skated before a few times on ice, so it won't be *too* foreign to me, but I know it will be different. In a few days I will attempt to go try it out some 100 miles from here, as the Chattanooga area has no ice at all. All of the other citites within 100-125 mile radius have, but not here. That rant is for another time

So what advice any of you folks have for me? Maybe "Hang it up, grandpa, no since starting this late"? Go slow? Go all out?

Thanks

LTNINGFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 05:36 PM
IniNew

I went from inline to ice and the biggest difference is the skating. Not just stopping like everyone else says, but skating in general has such a different feel to it. Nothing but time will fix that though.

As far as taking it slow and going all out, I am a very competitive person and if it's a game situation, regardless of level of skill I have to go all out. It's a good thing I've only been playing for a few months so I am sure it doesn't look like I am trying that hard even though I am.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 05:48 PM
LarryO

I've played both and the only big difference is that it's a lot easier to do hockey stops on ice. And the 5-on-5 instead of 4-on-4 means that you have less "space" but that sort of gets balanced out by more easily being able to make hockey stops to get away from opponents. So practise stopping if you don't want other players to have an advantage over you.

Falling down is more forgiving on ice and you'll appreciate that with an older body. BTW, I say this from experience, being 48.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTNINGFan View Post
Hi folks,

I have been playing inline hockey for the last 12 years, off and on. I would consider myself an average players, and being at 41, my game is not where it was. Slower, less stamina, you get the picture.

But, after all these years, I have never played ice. I have skated before a few times on ice, so it won't be *too* foreign to me, but I know it will be different. In a few days I will attempt to go try it out some 100 miles from here, as the Chattanooga area has no ice at all. All of the other citites within 100-125 mile radius have, but not here. That rant is for another time

So what advice any of you folks have for me? Maybe "Hang it up, grandpa, no since starting this late"? Go slow? Go all out?

Thanks
Well, those wheels that you are on, kind of gives you better balance, where as ice skates have a rocker on the blade which means that you will only be skating on a blade that is about an inch and a half long.

This is where you will feel like you are always going to fall. So here are a couple things that will help you game.

1. Make sure you keep your knees bent for balance and a low center of gravity.
2. When you bend your knees, they should be bent so you can't see your skates.
3. Make sure your skates form a "V"
4. When you push out with a stide, the faster you return that stride leg, the faster you will go.
5. Becareful not to drag the toe of the blade on the return.
6. For speed, 4 quick choppy stride, with controlled upper body movement.
7. Once at speed, full arm swing with non-stick arm.

Controlling your balance is the key. It's going to mean that you will have to spend time on the ice. The more ice time the better. I recommend that you help a youth group as an assistant coach, moving cones and things. This will get you on the ice for free.

Then every chance you get, push the net. This will help you with using the proper edge in order for you to move the net. If you don't use the proper edge, you will not beable to move the net.

For balance, place your skates in a "V" and bend your knees. The minutes you bend those knees, the skates will start to seperate in different direction.

Just when your skates are 3 feet apart, jump about three inches off the ice and bring your skates back together in a "V".

Then, once they are back together, this is concidered one cycle. Now, in order to get great balance, I need you to do this drill from one end of the goal line to the other end.

Once you have this down, do it backwards. Once you have this down, PM me and I will tell you what's next.

Hope this helps.
Head coach

03-05-2009, 10:00 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 50
Inline and ice skating are similar. take a few when you get on the ice to get your bearings and turn, stop and basically find your new limitations before you play.

you'll have less drag so you will be able to go allot faster and you will have less time to react. as well you will not louse speed as fast as inline so you won't be able to just let up and slow down like on the inline skates.

As for the rocker your probably skating off the shelf blades and you wont notice it to much. the stock blades are a very neutral position My inline skates are rockered only 2 of 4 wheels ever on the ground.

Just pad up and have a blast! I'm a geezer too and I play twice a week or as often as I can.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:56 PM
LTNINGFan

Thanks all, for the advice. The rink I will be going to will only have about 1hr of practice time on Monday nights. According to them, it is considered a "D" leage. Meaning its pretty much entry level. I think that's what I'll need until I can get my balance and use some of the drills you all mentioned. Then maybe I can look at going into the "C" league if I feel comfortable and maybe get some of their constructive criticism to hlp me along..

Believe me, if I could get more ice-time than what they allow, I would be all over it. Plus, the fact of it being 100 miles or so from here will limit my travelling as well..

Thanks again for the feedback and instructions

Old
03-06-2009, 11:13 AM
73blues

I have an idea......HAVE FUN! Don't over think it, especially your first time out. Just get a feel for it. Laugh at yourself when you fall and just be thankful you have the physical ability to even attempt to play. I am 35 an just started playing and don't know what the heck I was waiting for.

73blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:42 AM
LTNINGFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73blues View Post
I have an idea......HAVE FUN! Don't over think it, especially your first time out. Just get a feel for it. Laugh at yourself when you fall and just be thankful you have the physical ability to even attempt to play. I am 35 an just started playing and don't know what the heck I was waiting for.
Oh for sure. I know I will be pretty excited just to finally get out there. I think i will be laughing a lot as the ice and I will become close together

Old
03-06-2009, 04:38 PM
Areid1990

vCash: 50
I really just started this year also I have gone a lot though ( Probally 20 times ), I must say I have been missing out I played Street and Roller hockey but man getting onto the ice and playing hockey is some thing and I REGRET not trying ice hockey earlier.

Just go out and enjoy your self and The Coach gave you some nice tips that make it a lot easier ( Balance is first thing you have to master ).

But ya just have fun !

Areid1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 05:09 PM
LTNINGFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Areid1990 View Post
I really just started this year also I have gone a lot though ( Probally 20 times ), I must say I have been missing out I played Street and Roller hockey but man getting onto the ice and playing hockey is some thing and I REGRET not trying ice hockey earlier.

Just go out and enjoy your self and The Coach gave you some nice tips that make it a lot easier ( Balance is first thing you have to master ).

But ya just have fun !

I know what you mean. To play in that league will not be cheap ($400-ish) and considering the way the economy is, still a good chunk of change, but being at my age, I want to do it now and not regret years from now that I never gave it a shot.

Last time I was on a sheet of ice (9-10 years ago) I remember having my skates go way from me a bit. I am not sure I did what The Coach mentioned, but I think all I did was to relax and skate, but not taking huge strides. It was an open rink skate, but the whole time I was wishing there was a net, a puck and a stick in my hand and it would have been perfect

Old
03-07-2009, 10:41 PM
Escapades

I'm planning on making the jump from inline to ice myself sometime in the near future.

Escapades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 10:43 PM
LTNINGFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapades View Post
I'm planning on making the jump from inline to ice myself sometime in the near future.
Congrats Escapdes, then you and I can share our war stories

Old
03-07-2009, 10:46 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Learn to use yours edges and take it slow. I went from ice, then inline for years, then quit, then back to ice and now back to inline also. It will take a while for your brain to get used to it, so don't worry.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 10:52 PM
LTNINGFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaWrista View Post
Learn to use yours edges and take it slow. I went from ice, then inline for years, then quit, then back to ice and now back to inline also. It will take a while for your brain to get used to it, so don't worry.
I am pretty anxious to get started, which is this Monday evening. Cant wait..

Old
03-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Globalz

Hope you have a blast this sport is worth every penny spent on it.

Globalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 11:27 PM
NJDevs430

Quote:
I am pretty anxious to get started, which is this Monday evening. Cant wait..
Good Luck!
Let us know how you did!
}:-)>

NJDevs430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 11:48 PM
LTNINGFan

Alrighty boys, no longer am I a virgin to the ice. Tonight was well worth the 3 hr roundtrip for nearly an hour on the ice.

Since I have no skates, I had to get some from the house. I am glad I knew I needed something smaller than my regular shoe size as the kiddo behind the desk said I needed a 9. I wear a 9.5. I went ahead and asked for an 8, and I'm glad I did. A bit tight around the toes, and although I didn't have a tool to tighten the strings, I did well enough to keep the boots flopping around my ankles, thankfully.

I go to hit the ice, and was a little tentative. After all, I was used to roller, and I wanted to make sure I wasn't over zealous with my excitement to get out there. As soon as I took my first couple strides, I was ok. I did much better than I thought I would. I just remembered to keep my balance squared away. Thanks to Head Coach on his post as I kept all of that in the back of my mind, and it helped. I never felt my skates get away from me, so that was good. Of course there were a few times that I lost my concentration, turned a little, and down I went. I guess falling 2 or 3 times wasn't too bad

While out there, I pushed and skated as hard as I could. It was nice to get a tap from the instructor after we finished up for him to tell me he was impressed with my hustle and work ethic. It meant a lot for this first timer...

For the bad of my abilities tonight: By habit, I was catching myself trying to stop like in roller hockey Also, my crossovers going left (left foot over right) was horrible. I am not great at this on roller, and worse on ice. It's something I need to work on of course along with my stopping.

Thankfully the negative isn't outweighing the positives from tonight. It was great fun. A few of the guys out there have been playing for a bit, and you could tell they had some experience. A couple others were new, but they pushed and had fun as well. Also, it was co-ed, and a couple gals were there and played well.

Sorry to bore you to tears boys, thanks for reading And thanks to you all for the tips and suggestions

Old
03-10-2009, 01:37 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Get your own skates asap...

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 06:54 AM
LTNINGFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaWrista View Post
Get your own skates asap...

I had some in mind (mentioned in another thread) and I missed out. But I am working on it

Old
03-10-2009, 09:31 AM
GuitarAwesome

Quote:
Alrighty boys, no longer am I a virgin to the ice. Tonight was well worth the 3 hr roundtrip for nearly an hour on the ice.

Since I have no skates, I had to get some from the house. I am glad I knew I needed something smaller than my regular shoe size as the kiddo behind the desk said I needed a 9. I wear a 9.5. I went ahead and asked for an 8, and I'm glad I did. A bit tight around the toes, and although I didn't have a tool to tighten the strings, I did well enough to keep the boots flopping around my ankles, thankfully.

I go to hit the ice, and was a little tentative. After all, I was used to roller, and I wanted to make sure I wasn't over zealous with my excitement to get out there. As soon as I took my first couple strides, I was ok. I did much better than I thought I would. I just remembered to keep my balance squared away. Thanks to Head Coach on his post as I kept all of that in the back of my mind, and it helped. I never felt my skates get away from me, so that was good. Of course there were a few times that I lost my concentration, turned a little, and down I went. I guess falling 2 or 3 times wasn't too bad

While out there, I pushed and skated as hard as I could. It was nice to get a tap from the instructor after we finished up for him to tell me he was impressed with my hustle and work ethic. It meant a lot for this first timer...

For the bad of my abilities tonight: By habit, I was catching myself trying to stop like in roller hockey Also, my crossovers going left (left foot over right) was horrible. I am not great at this on roller, and worse on ice. It's something I need to work on of course along with my stopping.

Thankfully the negative isn't outweighing the positives from tonight. It was great fun. A few of the guys out there have been playing for a bit, and you could tell they had some experience. A couple others were new, but they pushed and had fun as well. Also, it was co-ed, and a couple gals were there and played well.

Sorry to bore you to tears boys, thanks for reading And thanks to you all for the tips and suggestions
That is exactly what hockey is all about. Good times. Well done.

GuitarAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 10:19 AM
LTNINGFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarAwesome View Post
That is exactly what hockey is all about. Good times. Well done.
Yup, indeed. I woke up this morning wanting to go back, but I doubt the wifey would be in support of that

Last edited by LTNINGFan: 03-11-2009 at 07:09 AM.
Old
03-11-2009, 11:45 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:

I started out with roller hockey when I was a kid and made the transition to ice as a teen.

I used to rocker my rollerblades, so basically I only skated on the two middle wheels. This really helped me transition to ice well, because an ice blade is naturally rockered.

As you probably found out, you naturally want to do those quick turn stops like you are on your rollerblades. You have to learn how to use all four edges of your blades on ice.

The big advantage I found from roller to ice - is your feet move so much faster because rollerblades are much heavier.

I have been playing ice for 15 yrs or so now and eventhough I first learned to skate on rollerblades, I find I am much more explosive on ice - simply because the skates are lighter and I can stop on a dime...

You know how sometimes in roller you get to top speed and you simply can't stop or you will blow out a knee... so you have to do one of those big turns?

Well on ice, you never have that fear because you can always stop, regardless of how fast you are going. So just give it time and you will never regret it.

The best way to learn is to identify the best skater on the ice and watch him/her when you are on the bench. That is what I did - then I asked the best skaters for help/tips.

One fast tip - you said you used smaller skates and they hurt your toes?

Just loosen the laces around bottom 4-6 eyelets and don't tighten them when you lace up your skates. It will give your toes more room.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 10:32 AM
LTNINGFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Mr Jiggyfly> View Post
I started out with roller hockey when I was a kid and made the transition to ice as a teen.

I used to rocker my rollerblades, so basically I only skated on the two middle wheels. This really helped me transition to ice well, because an ice blade is naturally rockered.

As you probably found out, you naturally want to do those quick turn stops like you are on your rollerblades. You have to learn how to use all four edges of your blades on ice.

The big advantage I found from roller to ice - is your feet move so much faster because rollerblades are much heavier.

I have been playing ice for 15 yrs or so now and eventhough I first learned to skate on rollerblades, I find I am much more explosive on ice - simply because the skates are lighter and I can stop on a dime...

You know how sometimes in roller you get to top speed and you simply can't stop or you will blow out a knee... so you have to do one of those big turns?

Well on ice, you never have that fear because you can always stop, regardless of how fast you are going. So just give it time and you will never regret it.

The best way to learn is to identify the best skater on the ice and watch him/her when you are on the bench. That is what I did - then I asked the best skaters for help/tips.

One fast tip - you said you used smaller skates and they hurt your toes?

Just loosen the laces around bottom 4-6 eyelets and don't tighten them when you lace up your skates. It will give your toes more room.

Yeah, I did notice that with the skates that when I started a drill that I could take off so much easier

As for the skates being really tight, they were for a bit then I suppose they loosened up a bit, or I ignored it. It didn't bother me the whole time, thankfully