HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

The CIS University Cup

Old
03-08-2009, 03:28 PM
FreddtFoyle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kexodusc View Post
Does "3rd place team" refer to the lowest ranked team in the conference that sends 3 teams, or does it mean the CIS Ranked #3 team?
I'm guessing it's the former now after reading it again...
I read #3 to mean the lowest of the three reps from one conference go into Pool A with the top seeded team, and the other two from the same conference end up in Pool B. By that interpretation, Lakehead would be the "3rd place team" since they didn't make the OUA finals and would go into Pool A, with Western and McGill into Pool B with one of the two AUS teams. Continuing further, if UNB wins the AUS they would be #1 seed and in Pool A and SMU would go to Pool B with McGill and Western.

On the other hand, if SMU wins the AUS and Alberta wins the West, then Alberta would take the #1 seed and go into Pool A. SMU would then end up in Pool B with McGill and Western since they would be the #2 seed and can't be in the same pool as the #1 seed.

If I'm interpreting correctly, UNB is practically guaranteed to be in Pool A with host Lakehead whether they win the AUS (#1 seed) or lose the AUS (become #4 or #5 seed), The fly in the ointment would seem to me to be if Lakehead is ruled not to be the 3rd place OUA team since they were higher ranked than McGill on the last poll of the season ...

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 03:46 PM
AUS Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
Continuing further, if UNB wins the AUS they would be #1 seed and in Pool A and SMU would go to Pool B with McGill and Western.

Where is the CW team in Pool B?

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 03:53 PM
timbitca

There is only one CW team this year isn't there?

2 AUS
3 OUA
1 CW

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 03:57 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Yeah...if UNB wins (and are 1) that means SMU would be in the other pool...and it also means the OUA champ and CW champ (2 and 3) would HAVE be in this pool...UNB would be in with the OUA runner-up and Lakehead, the easier of the two pools (as it should be considering they would be 1)...so if UNB wins this is the 'sure-thing' scenario, there are no other options...it's only if SMU takes the AUS that things get tricky...

Last edited by UNB Bruins Fan: 03-08-2009 at 05:37 PM.
UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 03:58 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

One would think that they would try and put the top two OUA teams in opposite pools in much the same way UNB and SMU will probably will be...

Old
03-08-2009, 05:09 PM
AUS Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
One would think that they would try and put the top two OUA teams in opposite pools in much the same way UNB and SMU will probably will be...
They do. OUA winner and runner up are in different pools, perhaps for the reason that they had just played each other last week and also to balance the pools somewhat. Ranking wise you would expect to see Laurier(3) and UQTR(5), but get instead Western(6) and McGill(NR).

Old
03-08-2009, 06:08 PM
kexodusc

Quote:

If I'm interpreting correctly, UNB is practically guaranteed to be in Pool A with host Lakehead whether they win the AUS (#1 seed) or lose the AUS (become #4 or #5 seed), The fly in the ointment would seem to me to be if Lakehead is ruled not to be the 3rd place OUA team since they were higher ranked than McGill on the last poll of the season ...
If that's the case then the best UNB can hope for is to go into the gold medal game on Sunday afternoon after playing the night game the evening before. Take your pick...do you want to play SMU or Alberta on half a tank? Tough break either way...hopefully SMU and Alberta duke it out the night before in a quadruple OT thriller...
Oh well, we're due for some good luck sooner or later.

kexodusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 06:28 PM
timbitca

I just hope there's a webcast online available for all the games.

If not, here's to hoping Dave & Dave at least make the trip for the UNB games!

Old
03-08-2009, 06:39 PM
AUS Fan

Quote:
Two points here. UNB will be in pool A as the AUS runner up only if UofA is in. Secondly, Lakehead has to be #3 OUA because the other OUA teams are champion and runner up. And as I've stated before, Lakehead will not be in the same pool as UofA and UNB.
Assuming a SMU AUS win plus UofA in and the pools look like this:
Pool A: UofA(1), UNB(4), OUA#2(5)
Pool B: SMU(2), OUA#1(3), LAKEHEAD(6)

Change that to a UNB AUS win:
Pool A: UNB(1), OUA#2(4), LAKEHEAD(6)
Pool B: UofA(2), OUA#1(3), SMU(5)

Again Lakehead will stay away from mixing it up with two top ranked teams.

Old
03-08-2009, 07:26 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post

If I'm reading the site correctly... http://www.ssncanada.ca/ is going to have the games...probably similar to what Aliant did the last two years in Moncton

Old
03-08-2009, 07:43 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
Two points here. UNB will be in pool A as the AUS runner up only if UofA is in. Secondly, Lakehead has to be #3 OUA because the other OUA teams are champion and runner up. And as I've stated before, Lakehead will not be in the same pool as UofA and UNB.
Assuming a SMU AUS win plus UofA in and the pools look like this:
Pool A: UofA(1), UNB(4), OUA#2(5)
Pool B: SMU(2), OUA#1(3), LAKEHEAD(6)

Change that to a UNB AUS win:
Pool A: UNB(1), OUA#2(4), LAKEHEAD(6)
Pool B: UofA(2), OUA#1(3), SMU(5)

Again Lakehead will stay away from mixing it up with two top ranked teams.
So...if we assume this is what happens then UNB will either get Alberta or the home town T'Wolves in the round robin...tough break either way...but I don't think there is any possible way UNB can avoid both of them in the round robin

Old
03-08-2009, 08:26 PM
timbitca

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
If I'm reading the site correctly... http://www.ssncanada.ca/ is going to have the games...probably similar to what Aliant did the last two years in Moncton
Awesome, looks like they're also doing the Women's CIS too.

Old
03-09-2009, 07:52 AM
Squirrel Forever

So the Western semi-finals are now set:

Alberta vs. Regina

UBC vs. Saskatchewan

Poor UBC has just had a grueling series with Lethbridge where every game went to OT, lets hope they have some legs left.

We will see if the long layoff has hurt Alberta, interesting to note that Regina beat Alta once in OT, lost twice by one goal, and got cleaned 7-2 once.

Squirrel Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 10:26 AM
austrooper

Quote:

timbit, the plan is to cover both UNB and SMU games if the finances can be worked out. No guarantees on that, however....Rogers is covering the SMU vs. UNB game on Friday night...

austrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 12:18 PM
TOG26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel Forever View Post
So the Western semi-finals are now set:

Alberta vs. Regina

UBC vs. Saskatchewan

Poor UBC has just had a grueling series with Lethbridge where every game went to OT, lets hope they have some legs left.

We will see if the long layoff has hurt Alberta, interesting to note that Regina beat Alta once in OT, lost twice by one goal, and got cleaned 7-2 once.
Not just the long layoff, but the long layoff of an important game since they clinched 1st in CW such a long time ago. Regina surprised me knocking of Manitoba and have played the bears strong all year.

TOG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 02:54 PM
timbitca

Quote:
Originally Posted by austrooper View Post
timbit, the plan is to cover both UNB and SMU games if the finances can be worked out. No guarantees on that, however....Rogers is covering the SMU vs. UNB game on Friday night...
Nice! You guys doing the game for Rogers?

Old
03-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Rob

Looks like Regina and UBC pulled off a couple of upsets. Let's see if they can do it again.

SERIES C
March 13 Regina at Alberta - 7:30 pm
March 14 Regina at Alberta - 7:30 pm
March 15 Regina at Alberta (If Necessary)- 7:00 pm

SERIES D
March 13 - UBC at Saskatchewan - 7:00 pm
March 14 - UBC at Saskatchewan - 7:00 pm
March 15 - UBC at Saskatchewan (If Necessary) - 7:00 pm

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 07:02 PM
AUS Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Looks like Regina and UBC pulled off a couple of upsets. Let's see if they can do it again.
It gets a bit tougher from here. Sweeps by both home teams.

Old
03-10-2009, 12:24 AM
austrooper

Quote:
Nice! You guys doing the game for Rogers?

I believe that's the plan....always fun to do TV games...not enough of them are done to my way of thinking...would luv to see Rogers and Eastlink hook up and send feeds back to each province...it would have been great to see Mct vs. SMU in the first 2 games for instance...the acadia vs. UNB game the other night was a dandy......the conference needs to be more aggressive in this respect....

Old
03-10-2009, 05:05 AM
Squirrel Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by austrooper View Post
...it would have been great to see Mct vs. SMU in the first 2 games for instance...the acadia vs. UNB game the other night was a dandy......the conference needs to be more aggressive in this respect....
I could not agree more! I drove down to Moncton for that final game, and it was a super game. I would love to have been able to watch the VREDS game, instead I kept getting txt messages from someone in Fredericton who was listening to the game...

Bring on better video and audio feed for AUS games!!!!

Squirrel Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 06:52 AM
timbitca

Oh yes, definetely needs to be more AUS games on TV, you won't get any objections to that from me. Especially now that many teams have arenas that are well suited to bringing the games to TV (UNB, Acadia, X, us after the reno's(at least that's what they're trying to make us believe, SMU (if the rumours about the future are true!) even PEI). There's really only the LBR that would probably be too small to have the games shown on TV, and maybe the DalPlex.

And I must say, I would love to have the Eastlink games broadcast over here. They did our last game at Acadia this year, and that's the video we got of the game afterwards. While cutting the game for Bob, I found myself watching the whole thing including intermissions and everything. Very professional broadcast, I was very impressed.

This isn't taking anything away from Rogers, but it was a lot better quality broadcast than Rogers used to produce back in the day.

Old
03-10-2009, 11:19 PM
austrooper

Quote:
Oh yes, definetely needs to be more AUS games on TV, you won't get any objections to that from me. Especially now that many teams have arenas that are well suited to bringing the games to TV (UNB, Acadia, X, us after the reno's(at least that's what they're trying to make us believe, SMU (if the rumours about the future are true!) even PEI). There's really only the LBR that would probably be too small to have the games shown on TV, and maybe the DalPlex.

And I must say, I would love to have the Eastlink games broadcast over here. They did our last game at Acadia this year, and that's the video we got of the game afterwards. While cutting the game for Bob, I found myself watching the whole thing including intermissions and everything. Very professional broadcast, I was very impressed.

This isn't taking anything away from Rogers, but it was a lot better quality broadcast than Rogers used to produce back in the day.
trouble with rogers is that they have all this gear but are so hit and miss covering stuff that people aren't willing to commit..eastlink have full-time paid broadcasters because they do football, basketball and hockey on a regular basis...would luv to see the aus take the initiative and get a deal with both rogers and eastlink that would produce a legitimate schedule of games...not 1 or 2 games and that's it...

Old
03-11-2009, 05:53 AM
AUS Fan

Another Thought on Seeding

Is it possible that if UNB and UofA win their Conferences that UofA could be the #1 seed. The reason I ask is that UofA was ranked #1 every week but the last and could possibly have a legit claim to that spot. Looking for input from the UNB faithful.

Old
03-11-2009, 07:24 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
Is it possible that if UNB and UofA win their Conferences that UofA could be the #1 seed. The reason I ask is that UofA was ranked #1 every week but the last and could possibly have a legit claim to that spot. Looking for input from the UNB faithful.
The CIS regulations are quite clear. The highest ranked team in the LAST CIS poll gets the highest seed at Nationals, and automatically goes into Pool A. So even though Alberta was #1 most of the season, they weren't #1 on the most important poll of the season - the last one!

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 07:54 AM
AUS Fan

D.2.1 a.

I should have known.