HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Speculation - what will we see tonight ? What will the Gainey/Lever duo do ?

Old
03-10-2009, 08:58 AM
Newhabfan

vCash: 500
Speculation - what will we see tonight ? What will the Gainey/Lever duo do ?

Let's try and imagine what will the BG / DL team do tonight, from a technical point of view. I guess we can all bet on Price being in front of the net (though Lever might actually like Halak.... who knows).

- Line adjustments - wll Breezy, Dandy be there ? O'Byrne maybe (Gainey mentioned him)
Will Gainey change anything in the last game lines ?

- Time on ice - will the veterans get more TOI as they (and many) asked ? Or will they give the chance to the youth ? What is your estimated TOI for Kovalev, Koivu, Tanguay, Lapierre, Kostopoulos ?

- will we see more of Kovy on PK ? or on PP ?

- will there be a change in the game system ? or game attitude ? like - Two player fore checking ? changes in the defence plan to get the puck out easier ?

Lots of questions but let's try it and move on from the Carbonneau debates.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 09:01 AM
Dripper

vCash: 50
vs San Jose, after Gainey fired Julien:

Habs win 6-2
PP scores 4 goals
1st line plays 20 minutes
4th line plays 7-8 minutes
Habs outshot and outhit SJ

Good enough for the Dripper's seal of approval

Dripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 09:05 AM
cap10bfl

Send a message via MSN to cap10bfl
i see the habs playing a more aggressive style and less on their heels, and i think watching kostopoulos playin more than 15 minutes is over

the only thing i hope bob wont change is the koivu-tanguay-kostitsyn line, the rest i couldnt care less what he changes

cap10bfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 09:09 AM
GoodKiwi

Hopefully we see Edmonton flee the ice with their tails between their legs at the final buzzer!

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 09:15 AM
Jigger77

No one is going to be running our goalie that's for sure. That message was sent quite clearly. You'll see more intensity and focus and onus to perform will be placed on the top guys instead of grinders.

Whether this will result in a W I don't know.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 09:15 AM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
Let's try and imagine what will the BG / DL team do tonight, from a technical point of view. I guess we can all bet on Price being in front of the net (though Lever might actually like Halak.... who knows).

- Line adjustments - wll Breezy, Dandy be there ? O'Byrne maybe (Gainey mentioned him)
Will Gainey change anything in the last game lines ?

- Time on ice - will the veterans get more TOI as they (and many) asked ? Or will they give the chance to the youth ? What is your estimated TOI for Kovalev, Koivu, Tanguay, Lapierre, Kostopoulos ?

- will we see more of Kovy on PK ? or on PP ?

- will there be a change in the game system ? or game attitude ? like - Two player fore checking ? changes in the defence plan to get the puck out easier ?

Lots of questions but let's try it and move on from the Carbonneau debates.
Breezer will probably be in for his 1000th game and then we may never see him again, we'll see Dandy after that.

If we stay out of the box look for the top 2 lines to get 20 plus each. Lappy/Higgins Metro/Kost will do the heavy lifting on the PK . I think one reason Kovy hasn't been very productive has been that he's played alot of time on the PK. It's a good weapon to have but should be used sparingly.

The 3rd and 4th lines will get 10ish each depending on penalty situation.

The youth will hopefully be represented by MaxPac on with Pleks and Kovy.

He'll probably close the gap between the forwards and defense on the breakout with the stretch pass becoming a product of availability not built in to the system. Until he has time to practice things will be very simple and he'll allow players to improvise within that simple system if it's low risk.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 09:22 AM
Newhabfan

Small note - the reason I started this thread: there are 20 threads on the Carbonneau firing, who will be the next coach, errors and responsables and there is not even a GDT, not to mention a real discussion on hockey. It's a pity.

Old
03-10-2009, 09:24 AM
TheGoalJudge

Get Kovalev off the PK. We have tons of guys who can do that job. Kovy's 36 years old for christ sake.

TheGoalJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 09:30 AM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoalJudge View Post
Get Kovalev off the PK. We have tons of guys who can do that job. Kovy's 36 years old for christ sake.
I'm not sure about this - I mean - Kovy does not skate too hard when on PK - he's mostly there to intercept passes and to "keep the defence honest" to use a football analogy. He is also ready for a breakaway and one of the best you would want in such a situation. Plekanec was also great on PK lately.

I'd be curious though if it was Kovy who asked for it.

Old
03-10-2009, 09:32 AM
Jigger77

It's not the PK that needs fixing anyway. PK is fine. It won us the game in Dallas.

Old
03-10-2009, 09:38 AM
Brockoli

I bet we see a great game from Kovalev tonight.

Brockoli

Brockoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 09:39 AM
tollb2

habs take this one

tollb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 09:39 AM
Puckhead58*

Gainey needs to do the following to take control of this team and to win hockey games and be better than Carbo....

- Make lines, leave the lines alone for the entire game.
- Let players play their natural positions. No defencemen playing forward or Andrei playing the LW.
- Give players like Koivu, Kovalev, Tanguay, Andrei, Pleks and Higgins 20+ minutes of icetime. Have your best players on the ice as much as possible. Give shifts to the 3rd and 4th line spareingly.
- Forecheck with 2 guys in deep. We have speed, lets use it to our advantage and create turnovers.
- Late in the game, keep forechecking with 2 guys deep....don't change a thing just because its late in the game.
- Keep the puck out of our end as much as possible. Forwards can't keep collapsing to the net because then we have no board support to get the puck out when we're panicking in our own end.
- Communicate to the players what they are doing wrong and how to fix it. Nothing negative.
- Let Lever make a lot of the decisions. He's coached most of this team in Hamilton over the past 3 years....he knows them better than anyone.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 09:41 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Besides perhaps players like Markov and Lapierre with clear mandates, the role of each player on the team will be reevaluated or recasted starting tonight.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 09:44 AM
Jigger77

One thing I'd like to see actually is Dandenault back on D. Never liked him as a forward.

Old
03-10-2009, 09:45 AM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Gainey needs to do the following to take control of this team and to win hockey games and be better than Carbo....

- Make lines, leave the lines alone for the entire game.
- Let players play their natural positions. No defencemen playing forward or Andrei playing the LW.
- Give players like Koivu, Kovalev, Tanguay, Andrei, Pleks and Higgins 20+ minutes of icetime. Have your best players on the ice as much as possible. Give shifts to the 3rd and 4th line spareingly.
- Forecheck with 2 guys in deep. We have speed, lets use it to our advantage and create turnovers.
- Late in the game, keep forechecking with 2 guys deep....don't change a thing just because its late in the game.
- Keep the puck out of our end as much as possible. Forwards can't keep collapsing to the net because then we have no board support to get the puck out when we're panicking in our own end.
- Communicate to the players what they are doing wrong and how to fix it. Nothing negative.
- Let Lever make a lot of the decisions. He's coached most of this team in Hamilton over the past 3 years....he knows them better than anyone.
Wow, that all sounds easy.

Actually, it really sounds more like a quick summary of the oversimplified stuff polluting the boards on any given day. Thank you for being concise.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 09:46 AM
Ado*

I don't remember how many games Gainey has coached back then, but what are the teams stats with Bob behind the bench?

Ado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 09:48 AM
primeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
Breezer will probably be in for his 1000th game and then we may never see him again, we'll see Dandy after that.

If we stay out of the box look for the top 2 lines to get 20 plus each. Lappy/Higgins Metro/Kost will do the heavy lifting on the PK . I think one reason Kovy hasn't been very productive has been that he's played alot of time on the PK. It's a good weapon to have but should be used sparingly.

The 3rd and 4th lines will get 10ish each depending on penalty situation.

The youth will hopefully be represented by MaxPac on with Pleks and Kovy.

He'll probably close the gap between the forwards and defense on the breakout with the stretch pass becoming a product of availability not built in to the system. Until he has time to practice things will be very simple and he'll allow players to improvise within that simple system if it's low risk.
This. Plus I'm pretty much sure we'll see a constant forecheck and probably every skater on the ice will finish their checks.

primeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 09:50 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by primeking View Post
This. Plus I'm pretty much sure we'll see a constant forecheck and probably every skater on the ice will finish their checks.
Forecheck would be nice. I don't remember the last time our forwards cause the D to turn the puck over behind their red-line. Carbs really had them sitting on their heels and trapping the neutral zone. A little more aggressivity in the offensive end would be nice for sure.

Old
03-10-2009, 10:06 AM
la25ecoupe

I told you that i wanted

Dags - Plek - Kovy

Now Gainy is bringing it to me!!

EDIT: He actually put Kovy on LW :S

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 10:09 AM
Capitano

I just want to see some desire out there. There have been very few of those games this season imo.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote