Notices

ASG : The Trial

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2009, 09:14 PM
Ashe

vCash: 500
ASG : The Trial

I kinda want to get a feel for people in Atlanta who are paying attention to this, And for those who are interested.
Ill try and post up to date info as much as i can (but being from saskatoon, I might have it late)

Anyways, They are now in Court.

http://www.ajc.com/fulton/content/bu...tlid=inform_sr

Basically, Belkin is hated by everyone, and people just want him gone.
Apparently the trial is expected to last two weeks..with a possibility of an Appeal taking another year..

I'd like some opinions from people please.
Or if anyone has any other info that would be awesome as well.

Old
02-17-2009, 11:05 PM
Lux Aurumque*

I want Belkin to win, because he would have no interest in keeping the Thrashers, therefore, he would sell the team.

No ASG = Better team

Old
02-18-2009, 06:02 AM
Georgia Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Aurumque View Post
I want Belkin to win, because he would have no interest in keeping the Thrashers, therefore, he would sell the team.

No ASG = Better team
I think who ever wins will sell the team. I heard this on the radio in Atlanta the other day.

Old
02-18-2009, 09:10 AM
The Sneak

And any time you see the team for sale you have to worry about relocation. Scares the bejeebers out of me.

Old
02-18-2009, 09:33 AM
Bongo

It won't make any difference who owns the team if we don't see a marked improvement next season.

Old
02-18-2009, 01:28 PM
Ashe

More info came out today

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/...hip_trial.html

"Belkin: I dont trust the other owners"

Old
02-18-2009, 04:29 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sneak View Post
And any time you see the team for sale you have to worry about relocation. Scares the bejeebers out of me.
I'd be lying if I said that the thought of re-location scares me, but I think that Phoenix will move before Atlanta does, so there's not much reason to worry about it at the moment.

Old
02-18-2009, 05:06 PM
StevenintheATL

I used to be anti-Belkin, but in the last year, my view on him has done a 180. I want him to win in the worst way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Dawg View Post
I think who ever wins will sell the team. I heard this on the radio in Atlanta the other day.
My short list for a new owner:

Lew and David Dickey (Presidents of Cumulus Media and Dickey Broadcasting respectively.). Was one of the local three groups that bid on the Braves before Time Warner decided to sell them to Liberty Media as part of a tax/stock deal. Dickey Broadcasting is the current radio home of the Thrashers, so they've got a foot in the door so to speak.

Ron Terwilliger (CEO of Trammel Crow Residental, and current owner of the WNBA Dream) He was also one of the local groups that bid on the Braves.

Arthur Blank (Co-founder of Home Depot and current owner of the Falcons and the Georgia Force AFL team [provided the AFL does come back next season after taking this season off]) You can't have a discussion of Atlanta sports ownership without including him.

There will be some non-local bids, but the NHL will definitely insist on a "no relocation" clause, as will whoever the seller is, as the seller risks losing the naming rights deal with Philips if the Thrashers move.

Old
02-18-2009, 06:41 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Joe Johnson has been EASILY the single biggest catalyst of the Hawks turnaround, and has developed into a bonafide all-star... Steve Belkin would rather have been bought out than bring him here. That alone says enough to get me to root against him, what a terrible lack of foresight to be the ONLY OWNER to vote against the move, and then raise such a fit, but then in the aftermath the move looked like genius and he is still being bought out. Just really pathetic on his part.

Old
02-18-2009, 07:46 PM
Georgia Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenintheATL View Post
I used to be anti-Belkin, but in the last year, my view on him has done a 180. I want him to win in the worst way.

My short list for a new owner:

Lew and David Dickey (Presidents of Cumulus Media and Dickey Broadcasting respectively.). Was one of the local three groups that bid on the Braves before Time Warner decided to sell them to Liberty Media as part of a tax/stock deal. Dickey Broadcasting is the current radio home of the Thrashers, so they've got a foot in the door so to speak.

Ron Terwilliger (CEO of Trammel Crow Residental, and current owner of the WNBA Dream) He was also one of the local groups that bid on the Braves.

Arthur Blank (Co-founder of Home Depot and current owner of the Falcons and the Georgia Force AFL team [provided the AFL does come back next season after taking this season off]) You can't have a discussion of Atlanta sports ownership without including him.

There will be some non-local bids, but the NHL will definitely insist on a "no relocation" clause, as will whoever the seller is, as the seller risks losing the naming rights deal with Philips if the Thrashers move.
I agree with Dickey and Blank. Both would be good.

I do think they will be sold, but to someone local and not relocated.

Old
02-18-2009, 10:53 PM
Enstrom39

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
Joe Johnson has been EASILY the single biggest catalyst of the Hawks turnaround, and has developed into a bonafide all-star... Steve Belkin would rather have been bought out than bring him here. That alone says enough to get me to root against him, what a terrible lack of foresight to be the ONLY OWNER to vote against the move, and then raise such a fit, but then in the aftermath the move looked like genius and he is still being bought out. Just really pathetic on his part.
I don't follow the NBA, but my recollection is that Belkin argued the Hawks could just sign him as a free agent rather than give up the draft picks + big money. There's some logic to that--but it assumes that J.J. would not have chosen to go somewhere else--which is a risk.

Old
02-18-2009, 11:06 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Falconer View Post
I don't follow the NBA, but my recollection is that Belkin argued the Hawks could just sign him as a free agent rather than give up the draft picks + big money. There's some logic to that--but it assumes that J.J. would not have chosen to go somewhere else--which is a risk.
Which is something the Thrashers need: Owners who are willing to take risks.

Yeah, Belkin will sell the team if he wins, there's no doubt in my mind about that, but hopefully the new owners actually have guts, unlike ASG.

Old
03-07-2009, 01:14 PM
Shameus

Apparently no ruling till May, and another appeal expected to take this thing into 2010 or so.

http://www.ajc.com/hawks/content/bus...t_lawsuit.html

Old
03-08-2009, 01:29 AM
toph2o

That might just about kill this franchise.

Old
03-08-2009, 03:22 AM
Ashe

I knew it would get appealed, But the fact he hasnt made a choice makes it worse.
Basically; Give a ruling the last day. Tell them if there is an appeal, It will start in 2 weeks, and give the trial a week.

Get the judge to bring in a 3rd party to look at the finances and give a price set in stone.
Finish the thing up in a month or two. This 4 year long battle is horrendous.

Old
03-08-2009, 07:43 AM
Shameus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
I knew it would get appealed, But the fact he hasnt made a choice makes it worse.
Basically; Give a ruling the last day. Tell them if there is an appeal, It will start in 2 weeks, and give the trial a week.

Get the judge to bring in a 3rd party to look at the finances and give a price set in stone.
Ah the American legal system....gotta love it.

Oh....and I totally agree with you.

Old
03-08-2009, 01:27 PM
Ashe

I think its bloody stupid how multi millions of dollars are at stake.
If this was a rich guy taking money from a poor kid, it would be over in a week.

Old
03-09-2009, 09:21 AM
Boognish

Quote:

Would you be this flip if it were your money? These guys don't care about you and they never have. Nor should they.

Old
03-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Ashe

It IS my money.
I bought the jerseys, The Game stuff. This is my money, and i want them to do something about it.

Old
03-10-2009, 11:19 AM
Boognish

Quote:
It IS my money.
I bought the jerseys, The Game stuff. This is my money, and i want them to do something about it.
Unless you paid $150M for a sweater, they don't owe you squat. Fans ain't stockholders.

Old
03-10-2009, 11:52 AM
flerd_trandle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boognish View Post
Unless you paid $150M for a sweater, they don't owe you squat. Fans ain't stockholders.

We're not stockholders, but we are the ones paying for the product. We are also the audience that the corporate sponsors are trying to reach.

Closed Thread