HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fighting!

Old
03-10-2009, 02:30 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 500
Fighting!

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=413178

Pretty good article with some good quotes from players. I'm just wondering where alot of you stand regarding the issue. I did a search on the forum but I couldn't find any threads regarding this

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 03:02 PM
UseYourAllusion

I think dropping the instigator might work to lessen the deliberate/dangerous blows to the head that the NHLPA head wants to ban. And it would do so without giving the refs another judgment call to make.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 04:34 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I've always loved fighting and nothing gets the viewers at home, or the fans in the crowd more excited. It's great to watch and cheer on. Is it dangerous? sure it is, but so is blocking shots. Is the NHL going to ban shot blocking?

Infact taking a 90 MPH slapshot to the face is certainly more dangerous than a punch

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Gert B Frobe

the worst part of fighting is when guys fall hard to the ice on their heads - not sure how you could prevent that short of stapling everybody's helmet on

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 05:44 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I've always loved fighting and nothing gets the viewers at home, or the fans in the crowd more excited. It's great to watch and cheer on. Is it dangerous? sure it is, but so is blocking shots. Is the NHL going to ban shot blocking?

Infact taking a 90 MPH slapshot to the face is certainly more dangerous than a punch
Actually, they are considering a ban on leaving your feet to block a shot.

Fighting has its place in the NHL, but the death of Don Sanderson has obviously brought attention back to the issue of fighting in hockey. Is fighting necessary in the game of hockey? No. Fighting does put fans in the seats, though, and it does have an affect on players taking liberties with each other.

I'd like to see fighting remain, but I can understand why the league wants to address the issue. The safety of the players is the most important concern and no players can die fighting on the ice if there's no fighting in the NHL. Eventually, that might be the final decision regarding fighting in professional hockey.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 08:27 PM
PRB

I wouldn't want to see fighting banned at all though I wouldn't be against keeping a helmet on if they could invent some kind of helmet that allowed a player to slide his visor up.

I'm not sure about the 'staged' fights off face-offs and stuff but they are still pretty dam exciting.

I'd prefer to see hitting to the head go first.

PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 11:52 PM
captainpaxil

i think they should drop the instigator and relace it with a fighting with a visor penalty with a game misconduct for taking your helmet off. that way any player with a visor really wont be able to fight without garnering an extra penalty also preventing them from being run at. it would also make it easier for fans to distinguish who the tough guys are on teams they dont see alot by picking out the guy with no visor. yes some players dont wera visors but i dont thin it would take long for them to figure out you can protect your stars from being run at by stiking a visor on em.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 08:20 AM
BringBackStevens

Theres a chance a player can hit his head on the ice during a fight. Should be the player's choice whether he wants to take that risk or not

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 08:34 AM
Lab Monkey

fighting should stay but these staged ******** fights like 3 seconds into the 1st period have to go. fighting out of passion is one thing, but fighting because thats all you are paid to do is another. they need to get rid of players who cant play the game worth a damn and just let the middleweights have at it. Guys like Asham are exactly the type of player who should stick around.

Lab Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 08:42 AM
Chuck Downie
Berube is Chief

vCash: 50
62 fighting majors this year by the Flyboys!! I think my opinion on the matter is pretty clear.

here's a good article:

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/news...hear-caps.html

Chuck Downie is offline   Reply With Quote