HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

looking for a new stick

Old
03-09-2009, 11:32 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

vCash: 500
looking for a new stick

So Ive always been a Mission poster boy, and Im looking for a new shaft. I use a z-2 for ice, which is great, and an M-2 for roller.
Im looking for a two piece to upgrade my m-2, and dont know if I should go for the Mission V-Hex 2, the Easton S15, or the Warrior Dolomite.

not only that, but since all of these are Tapered, (minus the Easton) Id have to find a blade (wood -or some sort of combo thats good for roller) that can fit the Tapered shafts. I like deep curves, currently on the Z-2 Im using the Leopold, and with the m-2 Im using one of those Jagr Koho Crossfires.

so if anybody can give me some pros and cons with these shafts it would be greatly appreciated.

Also if anybody knows about any tapered blades that are roller hockey friendly that come in deep curves, let me know.

thanks in advance
-Steve

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 11:37 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

i have a dolomite one piece. its really nice, very light, nice balance, nice feel. im not sure if it would be worth using with a wooden blade or for roller hockey though to be honest.

i would imagine a wooden blade is upwards of 250 grams and the dolomite shaft is about 315 grams. talk about top heavy.

im not sure if they make tapered wooden blades either.

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 12:03 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
i have a dolomite one piece. its really nice, very light, nice balance, nice feel. im not sure if it would be worth using with a wooden blade or for roller hockey though to be honest.

i would imagine a wooden blade is upwards of 250 grams and the dolomite shaft is about 315 grams. talk about top heavy.

im not sure if they make tapered wooden blades either.
CCM makes one, as does Bauer.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 01:25 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
CCM makes one, as does Bauer.
fair enough, how much do they weigh?

Old
03-10-2009, 01:37 AM
cparkq

I use a NBH XXXX with a Synergy II wooden blade, its still very well balanced and i get better feel than i would with a composite blade.
As far as wooden tapered blades theres a decent selection, Sherwood 9050, Easton Synthesis Hybrid, Easton Synergy II wood, NBH XXXX wood, etc.

cparkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 09:58 AM
iceman17

I just got a Bauer Vapor XXXX tapered blade i ordered from hockeymokey.com. Should be getting it in the mail today. I ordered the Malkin curve. As far as the curve you want check the blade pattern charts.

iceman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 10:24 AM
GuitarAwesome

RBK 7K is a tapered blade(comp), Datsyuk is a curve you're looking for. They run about 60 bucks, last about 4 months playing once a week on a smooth survace, and they are quite light. I have also used Easton Synthesis 2, they are tapered comp as well, you can get them on eBay for about 25 bucks plaus shipping, in stores they are 60-90$. I bought 8 of them last year, for ball/roller, and they were pretty good for the price, performed well. Stay away from the S15, it's way overpriced for what you get, I have used one, they are pretty trash. Warrior, I have no opinion on, as I am a hater(WAYY too bottom heavy), so let some one else answer that one.

GuitarAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 10:52 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
fair enough, how much do they weigh?
Much more then a corresponding composite blade. I don't think they publish the weights on those.

Old
03-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

ok so based on all of your opinions sofar,
the S15 is out, It looks pretty and while it fits traditional shafts, ive never used Easton sticks, and from what GuitarAwesome says its overpriced for what you get. That leads me to believe I can get a lesser priced shaft for the same quality.
The Dolomite. Ive toyed around with my friends AK, and thought it was a good lightweight stick, however pretty topheavy with his blade. Im assuming that these are pretty much made for non-roller, and work the best with their own blades, which are for ice.
The mission. Still no reviews.

Blades. GuitarAwesome, no way am I spending 60$ on a blade for roller. Ive never spend more than 22 on a roller blade, and they last just about the same. Ive bought a CCM tapered wood shaft for my Z-2 a few years back on accident, cost about 20, lasted about 3-4 months playing once a week. Again, I appreciate the review, but 60$ for a roller blade is a lot to drop.

checking out the other blade prices and curves now.

Old
03-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

if you think the AK was heavy with (im assuming) a composite blade, the dolomite with a wooden blade would be worse

Old
03-10-2009, 12:39 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

on blades:
Sherwood 9050 - could not find, do you have a link?
Easton Synthesis Hybrid - ok price, can only find Forsberg -left, do they make any others? Edit: found some, they come in Sakic 0.0
Easton Synergy II wood - I found Traditional ones, no tapered however. - is there a link?
NBH XXXX wood - a bit pricey, but comes in a lot of curves

Old
03-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
if you think the AK was heavy with (im assuming) a composite blade, the dolomite with a wooden blade would be worse
no, wooden. His AK is a standard shaft.

edit: how terrible would it be to sand down a standard blade to fit? Bad idea?

Old
03-10-2009, 06:26 PM
cparkq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin Steve View Post
on blades:
Sherwood 9050 - could not find, do you have a link?
Easton Synthesis Hybrid - ok price, can only find Forsberg -left, do they make any others? Edit: found some, they come in Sakic 0.0
Easton Synergy II wood - I found Traditional ones, no tapered however. - is there a link?
NBH XXXX wood - a bit pricey, but comes in a lot of curves

Sherwood 950 - Sorry its a sherwood 950, not 9050 http://www.hockeymonkey.com/sherwood-rb950taper.html
Also, note that this blade has a long hosel, but is still for tapered shafts. This long hosel will lengthen your stick so you might have to cut down the shaft (which will increase stiffness) so this might not be a good option.

Synthesis hybrid - look on some more websites for selection, this is probably your best bet for durability but i think its a bit heavier. inlinewarehouse.com, hockeymonkey.com, epuck, etc. (theres tons)

Synergy II wood - there is no such thing as a traditional fit Synergy II, because the Synergy II shaft is tapered, so the blade is only for tapered shafts as well, these are my favorite blades, best feel IMO but they dont last me very long. However, cheap enough that i dont mind. I buy these locally but i know you can find them on the net with a little searching.

NBH XXXX wood - this shouldnt be any more expensive than any of the other blades i dont think. I bought mine locally for $30 CDN, which is the same i pay for a Synergy II wood, or 950. So if you find it on the net it should be cheaper I assume. Make sure your looking at the wood version and not the composite.

cparkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin Steve View Post
no, wooden. His AK is a standard shaft.

edit: how terrible would it be to sand down a standard blade to fit? Bad idea?
i would imagine it would weaken it significantly

Old
03-10-2009, 06:47 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
i would imagine it would weaken it significantly
If it's wood it shouldn't matter too much.

Old
03-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparkq View Post
Sherwood 950 - Sorry its a sherwood 950, not 9050 http://www.hockeymonkey.com/sherwood-rb950taper.html
Also, note that this blade has a long hosel, but is still for tapered shafts. This long hosel will lengthen your stick so you might have to cut down the shaft (which will increase stiffness) so this might not be a good option.

S

http://www.hockeygiant.com/sher950senho.html

this a typo? says will only fit non tapered (or am I looking at the wrong one?)

edit: I see yours is ash taper fit, theyre different

Old
03-10-2009, 10:40 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

What would actually be superb is if I could find the Mission V-Hex. ( http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Mission-V-He...3286.m20.l1116 ) in an 85 flex. I cant find this shaft anywhere else, anybody know where I can get it?
It would be great because Id stick with a brand I like, it fits traditional blades, and I like the way it looks.

if anybody sees this anywhere link me please

Old
03-17-2009, 01:48 AM
190Octane

I use an old school 110 flex Z-Bubble with an S15 for roller, works for me.

190Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 02:59 AM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Much more then a corresponding composite blade. I don't think they publish the weights on those.
High-end wood blades can be very lightweight. I have a TPS tapered wood blade right here that weighs 152 grams with glue.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote