HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

negotiating rights to Kari Lehtonen

Old
03-08-2009, 02:12 PM
mercury

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Aurumque View Post
Gagner.

Waddell will definitely ask for overpayment from a team as desperate for goaltending as Edmonton will be this summer. Edmonton would say no.

I still see a Lehtonen-JVR trade on the horizon. The breaking point, apparently, was negotiation for an extension. There will be more time to do this after the season, so it wouldn't surprise me to see Lehtonen in Philly next year.
I highly doubt that the deal was JVR for Lehtonen, since A) Holmgren never said JVR was on the table; and B) that wouldn't have worked with the cap.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 02:39 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens4Cup View Post
How about to the Sens straight up for Leclaire. It could be similar to the Heatley for Hossa deal. Both goalies are injury prone, and have had okay seasons before and bad stretches at times. Similar upside but Leclaire is signed already.

Ottawa takes the risk that Lehtonen gets healthy and can be a good goalie on a good team (If Ottawa returns to being good).
Why? Ottawa would have to throw in quite a bit more because of Leclaire's more prominent injury issues and it might not end up being worth it.

Let's see Leclaire on a new team with a new training staff and a season without a giant goon jumping on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz View Post
Haha good try but i'm afraid you're stuck with Leclaire.

1. Thrashers have Pavelec who's NHL ready next season. They don't need another goalie coming back if Lehtonen is going to be traded.
3. Lehtonen has done more in the league than Leclaire so value wise Atlanta goes backwards.
IMO, Atlanta should move Hedberg to use Pavelec as a back-up at first. Being NHL ready and ready to take over the #1 job are 2 different things. Atlanta could still get a lot for Lehtonen at the deadline if Pavelec proves himself that quickly.

Certainly, he's a year younger and has been able to stay healthier. Leclaire has also proven to have high potential as well though, just injuries (and trying to play through them) have been a problem.

To put up the same numbers as Lehtonen has in his career to this point, Leclaire would have to put up a 73 gp, 44-26-5, 2.97, 0.918, 3 SO season next year. Which IMO, is all possible... but that 73 game stat looks like the most difficult part atm. I'd be happy with 55-60 and some of those numbers going up and down.

<End thread derailment>

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 10:34 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Lehtonen beat Kipper thoroughly today: totally outclassed him, which is rare for Kari to outplay a top goalie.

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

in the past month or so lehtonen has been consistently just as good as atlanta always hoped he would be

he has looked like one of the top 5 goalies in the league on some nights, stood on his head most nights, and been good enough to win most others

atlanta has been on a roll lately and i attribute it to three things. kovy being named captain and playing up to his fullest ability, the players finally buying into anderson's system, and lehtonen finally playing great consistently every night

the thrahsers need to make the playoffs next year to have a realistic shot of re-signing kovy and based on how they have played the last 20 games i really think they could do it. however, despite the fact that kovalchuk is one of the best players in the league, little has firmly established himself as a top line winger, white has lived up to expectations this season, young defensemen enstrom and bogosian have established themselves as legitimate top 2 d-men, and supporting players like peverley, kozlov, reasoner, hainsey, exelby, and valabik have been good, the thrahsers are still an average team, maybe with a solid draft pick(which they will have) and a possible UFA pickup they might even be a good team. but it takes a great team to get an average goaltender in to the playoffs. just ask the '06 thrashers that missed out by a game because they had no capable backup for kari when he went down. and i expect nothing more than average from pavelec from what i have seen.

long story short, i seriously, seriously doubt that the thrashers trade lehtonen this offseason

Last edited by Rhodes 81: 03-10-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote