HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Achilles Tendonitis and Hockey

Old
03-08-2009, 11:58 PM
noobman

vCash: 500
Achilles Tendonitis and Hockey

Hey all,

So about two weeks ago I got hit with some inflammation of the Achilles tendon, commonly known as acute achilles tendonitis. For the past week I have been following a regiment of ice, NSAIDs and rest (no gym at all).

I've reached a point now where I feel absolutely no pain. There is still a little bump on the back of my heel though that no longer hurts when my foot is in a running shoe, but still feels a little uncomfortable in skates. Historically the pain disappears after a few laps around the ice in warmups, and doesn't re-emerge until the next morning.

So with that in mind, I'm wondering what to do this week. Should I go back to hockey, or just stick to the gym and keep the skates at home for another week? I figure that it would suck to aggravate the tendon again and have to sit for another two weeks, but on the other hand I really don't want to be sitting around and missing games this close to the end of the season!

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 12:35 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I used to get the ball on the front of my tendon on my ankles. Best way to get rid of it was hot/cold treatments and rest. Tendonitis sucks, you have to baby it and find what works for you, which is usually trying not to use it so it will go away.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 08:45 AM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
So with that in mind, I'm wondering what to do this week. Should I go back to hockey, or just stick to the gym and keep the skates at home for another week? I figure that it would suck to aggravate the tendon again and have to sit for another two weeks, but on the other hand I really don't want to be sitting around and missing games this close to the end of the season!
So, I take it, it's not the Achilles Tendent, but the part of the Achilles that attaches to the heel...is that correct?

To be honest, this happens a lot to players that don't unlace their skates all the way, they are in a hurry to pull off the skate and they pull the tendent right at this place where the tendent meets the heel.

Plus, age has a major factor in this. In your in the teens to mid or late 20's it's not that big of a deal. Your body will recover fast. But right after you turn 30, it could take weeks to recover.

Because it's a tendent that attaches to the bone, it's harder to heal and not pain meds will help. But you could take some Ibuprofen, Ice it and add heat every once and a while. Hot tub works wonders. The ibuprofen is an anti-inflamatory which will help with the swelling.

Head coach

03-09-2009, 09:20 AM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 588
Ice it another week and sit it out. I'm not sure what HC is saying, but you are asking if you should skate or not right?

Give it one more week. go to the gym and be ready for end of season tournaments where all the fun and glory is to be had. I know it's hard to sit out and watch but you and your team will be better off.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 11:46 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
So, I take it, it's not the Achilles Tendent, but the part of the Achilles that attaches to the heel...is that correct?

To be honest, this happens a lot to players that don't unlace their skates all the way, they are in a hurry to pull off the skate and they pull the tendent right at this place where the tendent meets the heel.

Plus, age has a major factor in this. In your in the teens to mid or late 20's it's not that big of a deal. Your body will recover fast. But right after you turn 30, it could take weeks to recover.

Because it's a tendent that attaches to the bone, it's harder to heal and not pain meds will help. But you could take some Ibuprofen, Ice it and add heat every once and a while. Hot tub works wonders. The ibuprofen is an anti-inflamatory which will help with the swelling.

Head coach
Yah, I found the jacuzzi got rid of it the fastest. And that's my type of re-hab.

Old
03-11-2009, 01:17 AM
noobman

Is there any kind of cardio that I can do w/ this injury? Most sites I've seen say "swimming", but I really don't have access to a pool... I think I'm allergic to the chlorine.

Old
03-11-2009, 01:55 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Yah, I found the jacuzzi got rid of it the fastest. And that's my type of re-hab.
Jacuzzi/heating pad because the achilles tendon and some of the related tendons/muscles suffer from poor circulation, and the heat benefits them greatly, as it increases circulation. In my experience, that is a hard muscle to strengthen, try calf raises. They helped me out...

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 09:35 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
Is there any kind of cardio that I can do w/ this injury? Most sites I've seen say "swimming", but I really don't have access to a pool... I think I'm allergic to the chlorine.
Do you have a lake nearby?

Old
03-12-2009, 12:07 AM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Do you have a lake nearby?
It was -9C today.

...and no, I live in the city. Good news is that I've been doing some range of motion exercises without too much difficulty. By Saturday I hope to start doing some light stretches and calf raises, and by Wednesday I hope to get back into my training program, though I may do a week zero (all bodyweight exercises) before restarting at week one next-next Monday.