HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

"Shout Your Lungs Out!" - 3.10.09 - Nashville vs. Washington

Old
03-11-2009, 11:11 AM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
I was a little dissapointed with Ellis, he looked good, but it seemed like he was slow getting up a lot. Nice fights tonight. We worked hard blocking a ton of shots but they worked harder shooting more, WE NEED TO SHOOT MORE. At least we got a point out of it, we're still in it.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 11:38 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
I was a little dissapointed with Ellis, he looked good, but it seemed like he was slow getting up a lot. Nice fights tonight. We worked hard blocking a ton of shots but they worked harder shooting more, WE NEED TO SHOOT MORE. At least we got a point out of it, we're still in it.
disappointed?!

He's the only reason we got one point that we didn't deserve.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 01:19 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
I know he looked great, but he also looked like he wasn't into it at all. But what do I know, I could be 100% wrong.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 03:11 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
we botched every breakaway chance we had in that game with weird passing decisions instead of shooting [arnott]. That's why I love seeing Tootoo coming down the wing with the puck. At least you know he is gonna let it rip.

Was it OT I think that Sully had the puck and Weber cruised into the slot wide open ready for the one timer and Sully waited and waited and waited and then tried a pass when it was too late.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 03:42 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
we botched every breakaway chance we had in that game with weird passing decisions instead of shooting [arnott]. That's why I love seeing Tootoo coming down the wing with the puck. At least you know he is gonna let it rip.

Was it OT I think that Sully had the puck and Weber cruised into the slot wide open ready for the one timer and Sully waited and waited and waited and then tried a pass when it was too late.
YES!

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
disappointed?!

He's the only reason we got one point that we didn't deserve.
As much as I give credit for Ellis stealing a point last night with some great saves, I also have to put some of the burden of why we tightened up as the first period progressed and throughout the second period, by which time Washington's talent was clearly at full-speed.

Ellis was fighting the puck early and often. He was never confident that he had the puck secured and was always looking around him. Several times while he was looking around for a loose puck he dislodged the puck from underneath him and caused a hurried play to clear the zone by our defenseman and even a few direct turnovers.

The team had to adjust to that and caused them to really protect the crease area whenever the puck was shot looking to clear any rebounds left by Ellis before moving into position to breakout. This allowed Washington to apply aggressive pressure on the puck and force passes prior to their receipents having moved into position.

Dan definitely improved tenfold as the game progressed, but by then Washington was simply flying and we were sitting back.

I'm not going to place the blame squarely on Ellis, but I don't support people bashing anyone saying that the team let Ellis down and placing the blame squarely there either. They play as a team and ultimately share the blame together as a team as well.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 11:20 AM
mucker*

Did anybody go to the game?

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 02:32 AM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrit View Post
Did anybody go to the game?
yeah, about 16,500 of us

But seriously, I was there... Why?

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 12:42 PM
skipper49

Well Soundgarden how would you look "into it" after sitting for 3 weeks?? Goalies need to play on a regular basis in order to look smooth on all saves. Taking practice shots from the Preds in practice for three weeks is one thing then taking shots from Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin, Greene et al is another. How Ellis sits for so long then comes up with big games is a testimont to his character.
Rinne getting a shutout against a deccimated Phoenix team does not determine that he is the best goalie on the team. My grandmother could have had a shutout against Phoenix!!
Ellis didn't become a crappy goalie over the summer. He, like Mason last year had to take the early season losses as the Preds started their usual " we don't have a team identity" crisis which they tend to start each season with. Add a lack of scoring and Rinne playing the easy games, he looked like the savior. Most teams play their "backup" against easier teams in the latter part of the season. Not Nashville's backup..Ellis gets the "we don't have a chance to win games" aka the Detroit/Minnesota back to back games. Ellis gets the Detroit games, his team goes awol for 5 power play goals, he takes the loss and Rinne gets the easier Minnesota game. If you think that Ellis wouldn't have won the games that Rinne won you just don't know the position very well. Poile is calling the shots here. Rinne has been playing the carefully chosen games so that he-Poile can get the fans to take their focus off the fact that he did nothing for the team during the off/season or trade deadline, to assist the team in the scoring department. Rinne winning makes Poile look like he has done something right this season.
I have nothing against Rinne. I just don't see why Poile is in such a rush to sit Ellis who proved himself to be an excellent goalie last year and remember, he was the goalie who helped the team sweep California earlier in the season. Most smart NHL teams like to get their goalie with playoff experience ready to head into playoffs again. As much as Poile and company may have confidence in Rinne, WHY would you have a goalie with a proven track record in the playoffs, sitting for most of the second half of the season?? Rumor is, a few teams were asking to trade for Ellis at the deadline. If Poile is so confident in Rinne then why didn't he let Ellis go for a forward?? On that note....who do you think will be in the net against San Jose who has lost what, 6 or 8 times in their home barn this season?? If they go back to Ellis it makes you wonder why......

skipper49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 03:17 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Ellis did not prove a da** thing last year... Only thing he "proved" is that he was more reliable at saving the initial shot than Mason was. Both Mason and Ellis left bad rebounds (Ellis x10 more than mason).

Yes, I am sure it was hard for Ellis to come in and play cold-turkey, but the guy is not even close to being as good as Rinne. Sorry to burst your bubble, but

Rinne >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ellis

This is not true because Ellis has played poorly or that he "lost his job". Ellis was NEVER given the starter job this season. He was given it last year for the playoffs after Mason basically played himself out of the starting role. This year, Rinne has proven that he is as good as everyone has labeled him to be for the last 3 years. No one has ever said that Ellis became a crappy goalie over the summer.... He still is a good goalie at saving the INITIAL shot. But Ellis is VERY poor at handling rebounds (which makes the Preds seem like they are scrambling in their own end, instead of controlled like how it is when Rinne is in net).

Rinne has NOT played easy games. Whatever pipe you have smoked to think that, pass it to me. Rinne has shown that he has one of, if not, the best glove hands in the NHL. The guy is so tall that his legs take away the entire lower half of the net and his shoulders take away the upper half. There is nearly no where to shoot. So couple those with his glove hand, it is hard to beat Rinne period. Only weakness I have seen Rinne have is stopping and not leaving rebounds on bad angle shots.... Other than that, Rinne is better at Ellis at everything other than maybe recovery after leaving a rebound (but Rinne rarely needs it since he leaves 2-3 rebounds per game compared to 11-12 for Ellis).

Old
03-16-2009, 03:36 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
I really really like Ellis.

but you still have to ask yourself a few questions.

How was he single handedly keeping us in those playoff games against Detroit, and where is that same level of play this season.

and why can the team not play in front of him like they do in front of Rinne.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 03:37 PM
skipper49

Ohhhh touched a sore spot. You missed the point about why Rinne is playing more than Ellis. Sorry to burst your bubble but Rinne gives up alot of rebounds too. You just want to forgive it more because of the wins. ALL goalies give up rebounds. Ever try absorbing a shot when it hits your pads or your stick???? Good goalies direct rebounds to open areas to keep the play going. You don't need to freeze the puck on every shot. It stops the flow of the game, especially when killing a penalty. You mean Rinne gets hit by the puck alot because he is big. He hasn't stolen a game yet this year. The wins against Boston, Pittsburgh and most recently Detroit was because they were playing like crap and everyone was beating them. Let's see if he can beat San Jose in their home barn. What do you think will happen to Rinne when Pickard the #1 pick comes to town????

skipper49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 04:09 PM
utmfisher19

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper49 View Post
Ohhhh touched a sore spot.
no, not at all... I just think you are quite wrong about the goalie situation here in Nashville is all. Was just telling you how it actually is...

Quote:
You missed the point about why Rinne is playing more than Ellis. Sorry to burst your bubble but Rinne gives up alot of rebounds too. You just want to forgive it more because of the wins. ALL goalies give up rebounds. Ever try absorbing a shot when it hits your pads or your stick???? Good goalies direct rebounds to open areas to keep the play going.
Incorrect. Good goalies do NOT do that. Good goalies freeze the puck, and average goalies do that.

Quote:
You don't need to freeze the puck on every shot. It stops the flow of the game, especially when killing a penalty. You mean Rinne gets hit by the puck alot because he is big. He hasn't stolen a game yet this year. The wins against Boston, Pittsburgh and most recently Detroit was because they were playing like crap and everyone was beating them.
Um, incorrect. You think players care about the "flow" of the game? The players want their goalie to freeze the shot so that they do not have to fight for the rebounds. If a goalie is able to freeze the shot, the players do not have to worry about scrambling around to find the puck (so that the other team does not put in the rebound) and actually helps the flow of the game tremendously. So while you think freezing the puck disrupts play, it actually does the opposite.

Quote:
Let's see if he can beat San Jose in their home barn.
ooook, so you are going to set aside his wins against Boston, Anaheim, Chicago twice, St. Louis twice, @Edmonton, @Vancouver, Detroit, Edmonton, and Minnesota?

Let's count the number of losses Rinne has had when he has allowed more than 2 goals: (1) @Philly - 4 goals, (2) Detroit - 4 goals, (3) @Calgary - 3 goals, (4) @Montreal - 3 goals, (5) @Colorado - 5 goals, and (6) @St. Louis - 5 goals.

So, out of 36 games, he has lost games where he has given up more than 2 goals 6 times. I will not write it out, but in 3 less games, Ellis has done it 15 times this season.

I think that stat alone proves my point.

Quote:
What do you think will happen to Rinne when Pickard the #1 pick comes to town????
More than likely Pickard will be the starter. Just like Rinne did with Ellis. Why do you ask this? You act like I am a fan of only Rinne.... No, I am a fan of whatever goalie gives us the best chance to win. And right now, Rinne gives us every chance in the world to play the system we want.

P.S. I like your enthusiasm, I just feel that you are way off base with your argument/points. Stick with it, we need both Rinne and Ellis

Last edited by utmfisher19: 03-16-2009 at 04:40 PM. Reason: to add the P.S.
Old
03-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
If Poile is so confident in Rinne then why didn't he let Ellis go for a forward??
Other then coming up with a ridiculous conspiracy theory about a GM telling a coach to sit a goalie so that it looks like he made a move, Poile didn't trade Ellis in case that Rinne gets hurt down the stretch. Having two good goalies is a luxury, especially for a team trying to make the playoffs. Why didn't Poile trade Mason at the deadline last year? No faith in Ellis?

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 04:47 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

skipper smacks of an ellis fan, rather than a predators fan. I'd be curious to know where he's from\who his favorite team is(or would be, if ellis were to leave)

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 05:20 PM
predfan24

Quote:
He hasn't stolen a game yet this year.
This is where you went from having little credibilty to no credibilty. Your obviously an Ellis fan and your view is very biased. There is no conspiracy against Ellis here. He hasn't played that bad this season but Rinne has just outplayed him. The team plays better in front of Peks too. Sucks for Dan because he is a good guy/goalie and he will get another chance to be a starter. He just has to keep the right mindset.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 05:58 PM
braindead

I've done some research and discovered that DAN ELLIS was known as "skipper" in high school where he won 49 GAMES to lead his team to the state championship!!!!!!!

SKIPPER49 = DAN ELLIS

Ok, just kidding, but I will second the comments that:

1. the team plays better in front of Rinne
2. Ellis is much, much better at blocking shots than stopping shots. Huge difference.

I would also point out that Ellis stunk it up most of last year before having a late season run and one great series. Glad he did a great job then but he doesn't have a long track record of being "the guy". He was mediocre for most of last year.

The records speak for themselves.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote