HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Log jam next year?

Old
03-11-2009, 02:30 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Not that simple EDM. Manny may think that he's a top 6 player now. Either way his numbers, and importance, were inflated by the injuries. This could come down to ice time, and how he's played, as much as anything money related. Fritsche wanted greener pastures because he thought he had more to add. Manny could feel the same way.

This isn't a simple one, by any stretch. Both sides are likely going to have to bend some.
Nah, Manny has a level head about his role and really likes it here. He wants to be re-signed.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 02:49 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Nah, Manny has a level head about his role and really likes it here. He wants to be re-signed.
If you say so. Until he's under contract again, I'll have my doubts. I do like how contract negiotations are perceived as simple now. I don't think I've ever seen an opputunity for Manny to display his level head now that he's gotten a chance to play where he has for the last 30 games or so.

Any bets on how long this one drags out? I could see this one dragging out until the week of UFA.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 03:10 PM
winJACKETSwin

Against BOS Manny led all forwards in TOI, as he regularly does. Negotiations may not be as simple as Howson saying "Here's what we'll pay you. How bad do you want to stay?"

winJACKETSwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 03:32 PM
Nordique

I'm sure there will be plenty of back and forth. This is Manny's big career contract, he's having a career season and is probably near his peak/prime. I'd be shocked, if he settles for anything less than Chimera's deal (1.875 mil for 5 years). I think he'll want 5 years, so the price per year should be affordable. If I had to guess, I'd say 2 - 2.5 mil per over 5 years.

Chris Kelly(OTT) just signed a similar 5 yr deal last year(2.5,2.5,2,2,2)

Howson will have to weigh his options. He has Vermette for 1 more year, Brassard back next season, Filatov maybe breaking into the league, Peca, Williams, Gratton?

Should be interesting.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 05:47 PM
blahblah

5 years? That would surprise me some.

Old
03-11-2009, 06:08 PM
wrcstyl

There is no way in hell we give manny a 5 year contract worth that amount knowing hes going to be a 3rd liner. His role on this team is replaced in Vermette. He would be like Peca was last year. Im not knocking manny just dont see this working out unless he takes in the rear or we go over our self imposed cap.

wrcstyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 06:18 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
If you say so. Until he's under contract again, I'll have my doubts. I do like how contract negiotations are perceived as simple now. I don't think I've ever seen an opputunity for Manny to display his level head now that he's gotten a chance to play where he has for the last 30 games or so.

Any bets on how long this one drags out? I could see this one dragging out until the week of UFA.
I have a very good source on this one. That said, Howson is not going to give him the moon or a 5 year term. If Manny thinks he can get that elsewhere, he'll probably be advised to test the market.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

My guess is 3 years at 1.65M per year.

Stej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 08:30 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcstyl View Post
There is no way in hell we give manny a 5 year contract worth that amount knowing hes going to be a 3rd liner. His role on this team is replaced in Vermette. He would be like Peca was last year. Im not knocking manny just dont see this working out unless he takes in the rear or we go over our self imposed cap.
I hope you're right and we can get him for less.

Howson gave Chimera 5 years at 1.875 last year....he had 14G 17A -5.

Malholtra is a year younger, will put up equal or better numbers this season (10G 21A +10 with 15 games left in the season). Not to mention faceoffs, pk, and being a center.

If you were Malhotra, would you take less than Chimera was given a year ago?

And saying Vermette makes Malhotra obsolete is like saying Umberger makes Nash obsolete. 4 lines.

Last edited by Nordique: 03-11-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old
03-11-2009, 08:35 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ--A--N View Post
My guess is 3 years at 1.65M per year.
Thats about what Kris Draper makes

Todd Marchant makes 2.5 million. Jared Stoll, 3.6 million, 5 year contract. Stoll's had a 20 goal season, Manny has yet to reach that mark, and he may never considering he won't be a 1st line center after this season.

Centers aren't cheap.

Last edited by Nordique: 03-11-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old
03-11-2009, 08:35 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
And saying Vermette makes Malhotra obsolete is like saying Umberger makes Nash obsolete. 4 lines.
Agreed, Manny should be resigned, but only if his pay reflects the current depression.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 08:41 PM
Nordique

Quote:
5 years? That would surprise me some.
Could be 3, I figured Howson would like 5 because he's only 28 and you can pay less per year.

Old
03-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

I really like Malhotra. I like his work ethic and I just like the way he plays.

That said, I think he's playing too high in the line-up. To many times have I seen him miss good opportunites because he can't keep up with the skill level of Nash and Juice. Example, the Boston game, Nash fed Malhotra the puck and he had a wide open net (please no Juice references) and he missed it. This isn't the first time he's missed a golden opportunity. I don't have any doubts that Vermette wouldn't have missed that shot, him being so acclimated with keeping that sort of pace, and handling the puck moving at such speeds.

Umberger is producing much more than Malhotra is, and he's playing lower than him. Granted, Umberger isn't a true center and Malhotra is. I would hate to lose Malhotra, but I would like to see him a line or two down and having Vermette take his spot on the top line.

If it came down to Williams or Malhotra, I would take Williams.

Like it was said earlier, you have to take other contracts into consideration with the length and pay.

But is the underlying issue here whether we'll resign Peca? Because I doubt Peca will be resigned, and I don't doubt that we'll want Malhotra in the line-up in his abscence. Plus with Brassard coming back, and Vermette possibly playing the top line, you know Brassard isn't going to play the third line so that puts Manny third line at best if Vermette replaces him.

Let's say Brassard plays the top line. I doubt Vermette will play the third. So Manny is still the third liner. Either way, I doubt Malhotra keeps his top spot. He may stay there the rest of the season or for as long as Brassard is out. But his time up there is limited, IMO.

Friedrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 09:01 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
I really like Malhotra. I like his work ethic and I just like the way he plays.
Agree

Quote:
That said, I think he's playing too high in the line-up. To many times have I seen him miss good opportunites because he can't keep up with the skill level of Nash and Juice.
Example, the Boston game, Nash fed Malhotra the puck and he had a wide open net (please no Juice references) and he missed it. This isn't the first time he's missed a golden opportunity. I don't have any doubts that Vermette wouldn't have missed that shot, him being so acclimated with keeping that sort of pace, and handling the puck moving at such speeds.
Agree. He's a 3rd line center, he can play top 6, but he doesn't have the offensive instincts to ever excel in that role.

Quote:
Umberger is producing much more than Malhotra is, and he's playing lower than him. Granted, Umberger isn't a true center and Malhotra is. I would hate to lose Malhotra, but I would like to see him a line or two down and having Vermette take his spot on the top line.
Yep, can't really compare the two. Howson's dream of RJ converting to a center is over.

Quote:

If it came down to Williams or Malhotra, I would take Williams.
Gotta disagree. I like Williams scoring touch, but he is a poor center, maybe 4th line with PP time, but he is not a 3rd line center.

Quote:
Like it was said earlier, you have to take other contracts into consideration with the length and pay.

But is the underlying issue here whether we'll resign Peca? Because I doubt Peca will be resigned, and I don't doubt that we'll want Malhotra in the line-up in his abscence. Plus with Brassard coming back, and Vermette possibly playing the top line, you know Brassard isn't going to play the third line so that puts Manny third line at best if Vermette replaces him.
Agree. I like Peca, but this season is his last hurrah imo. He was signed to a 1 year contract for a reason.

Quote:

Let's say Brassard plays the top line. I doubt Vermette will play the third. So Manny is still the third liner.
Either way, I doubt Malhotra keeps his top spot. He may stay there the rest of the season or for as long as Brassard is out. But his time up there is limited, IMO.
Agree, he's a good 3rd line center in his prime. 1.Brass, 2.Vermette, 3.Malhotra would be my guess at the top 3 line centers next season. Nice post Bugg. I'm speculating on years and dollars, mostly looking at 2 things...Chimera's contract because I feel these players are of comparable worth, and 3rd line center salaries around the league.

Old
03-11-2009, 09:32 PM
section 204

Manny is worth more to the Jackets than he is likely to be worth with any other franchise. You all have chronicled many of the reasons, but one more related to faceoffs is that Hitch places a premium on puck possession. Their lack of a speed game makes quick scoring strikes an irregularity, and thus winning faceoffs is a higher priority in Nationwide than most other arenas around the league.

section 204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 10:47 PM
warlockmb

Manny will most likely get a 2 year 1.75 or 2 million per deal. There is a kid called Trevor Frischmon in the AHL. He is a Manny clone and Columbus will be signing him (or that is the talk) to an AHL/NHL deal this off season. He could be replacing Manny in a couple years for a lot less money!

warlockmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 10:59 PM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Thats about what Kris Draper makes

Todd Marchant makes 2.5 million. Jared Stoll, 3.6 million, 5 year contract. Stoll's had a 20 goal season, Manny has yet to reach that mark, and he may never considering he won't be a 1st line center after this season.

Centers aren't cheap.
Isn't Kris Draper a bottom six utility player who kills penalties and is really good in the faceoff circle? Sounds familiar.

I agree that Malhotra > Draper, but the market is changing. You think another team is going to swoop in and offer Malhotra 2.5 per on a multi-year deal in this environment? Maybe it's closer to 2 million / 3 years, but I don't think 1.65 is that far off.

If we're going to start hand-picking contracts, check out what Burrows just signed (yes, I'm aware he's not a center). He's going to end up with 25+ goals this year.

Don't mind me, I just take offense to the headshake smilie.

Old
03-11-2009, 11:40 PM
Nordique

No offense meant MJAN.

Its certainly going to be an interesting summer watching how Howson handles these contracts.

Old
03-12-2009, 08:24 AM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

No worries, I was just messin'.

Old
03-12-2009, 10:26 AM
blahblah

Manny makes 1.5 now, he's saved our bacon some this year. He many not have excelled at that top 6 spot, but he didn't wilt either. He'll want a raise, 1.65 is a pipe dream at this point.

I was talking to someone before that said he wasn't worth more then 1.5 (pretty sure). And that he wasn't worth 2. I was saying that a minimum of 2.00 is probably going to be asked. Now that number is probably closer to 2.5

Thinking a 3 year deal worth around 8.

Should be fun to see where it ends up.

Old
03-12-2009, 10:31 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcstyl View Post
This is like saying Ryan Getzlaf made Samuel Pahlsson replaceable. They serve two different roles. Having 2 of the league's best faceoff men on your 4 lines is a very good thing. It was why we had Peca in the first place, but it didn't work out so well--more than his scoring woes, that's what has frustrated me with Peca this year.

Did Howson share our budget with you? Look at our cap room going into next year--we can more than afford a modest raise for Manny. If Chimmer gets $1.8 mill, $2 million for Manny seems reasonable. I wouldn't go more than 2-3 years on the length.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 10:45 AM
EDM

I agree Manny will get in the range of $2-2.25 million. If he wants more than that, there will be a disagreement.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
I agree Manny will get in the range of $2-2.25 million. If he wants more than that, there will be a disagreement.
If we are the one's to give him that, I will be agreeing that Howson does hate Columbus.