HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gagne Upset at League's GMs

Old
03-11-2009, 11:55 PM
Opus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Agreed. I think if they knew how bad cheap shots would get by putting the instigator rule in place I think they would have never done it. BUT, its easier to look back on a mistake and know you screwed up than it is to take it back. If they took away the instigator rule it would look like to the average fan and people who dont know the game that they are actually in favor of fighting and that they want MORE of it, which is why I feel the instigator rule is here to stay for a while.
Yep, hindsight is 20/20. And like you said, with all the talk over fighting in hockey...this rule is NOT going to change anytime soon.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 11:58 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Yep, hindsight is 20/20. And like you said, with all the talk over fighting in hockey...this rule is NOT going to change anytime soon.
For all the reasons mentioned, I don't think it's going anywhere. I just think the NHL needs to own up to its mistake and accept that a little bad publicity in the short term may be the price it pays for protecting its players.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 12:00 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Yup, honestly I think they should take out the instigator rule and put another rule in place to crack down on the "fighting just to fight" situations. When both teams throw out their 4th lines and both players mutually drop the gloves to go at it instantly after the puck is dropped, thats what gives hockey a bad name IMO. Its not when guys get hacked or hit high and turn around and go after a guy to fight, or stick up for teammates, to me it becomes ridiculous when 2 guys arent even mad at each other and just go at it for the sake of goign at it. I think they should give out game misconducts to players who drop the gloves right off a faceoff or players who for no reason at all skate up to each other and fight. It would be easy to do, the league can watch the tape of the game and if they dont see anything that would initiate two players to fight throughout a game and then they just fight for the fun of fighting, thats when they should be hit with a misconduct. Sticking up for your teammates is one thing but fighting off a draw is a sideshow and to the average fan it just looks like violence for no reason.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 12:01 AM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Yup, honestly I think they should take out the instigator rule and put another rule in place to crack down on the "fighting just to fight" situations. When both teams throw out their 4th lines and both players mutually drop the gloves to go at it instantly after the puck is dropped, thats what gives hockey a bad name IMO. Its not when guys get hacked or hit high and turn around and go after a guy to fight, or stick up for teammates, to me it becomes ridiculous when 2 guys arent even mad at each other and just go at it for the sake of goign at it. I think they should give out game misconducts to players who drop the gloves right off a faceoff or players who for no reason at all skate up to each other and fight. It would be easy to do, the league can watch the tape of the game and if they dont see anything that would initiate two players to fight throughout a game and then they just fight for the fun of fighting, thats when they should be hit with a misconduct. Sticking up for your teammates is one thing but fighting off a draw is a sideshow and to the average fan it just looks like violence for no reason.
I never really understood the point, or frankly the appeal, of those kind of fights.

Old
03-12-2009, 12:02 AM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
For all the reasons mentioned, I don't think it's going anywhere. I just think the NHL needs to own up to its mistake and accept that a little bad publicity in the short term may be the price it pays for protecting its players.
It would be nice, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Owning up to ones mistakes isn't really that easy, or at the very least, easier said than done.

As far as them trying to eliminate staged fighting (fighting off the faceoff), it's a joke. Nothing is going to change, they will go for a 30 second skate and meet up for a dance during the play of the game. It's a lame half assed effort to show people who lobbying against fighting that they are trying (I use the term loosely) to eliminate it.

Just ridiculous if you ask me.

Old
03-12-2009, 12:05 AM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
I wouldn't hold my breath.
Oh, I gave up holding my breath a couple months after they instituted the rule.

Old
03-12-2009, 12:22 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
It would be nice, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Owning up to ones mistakes isn't really that easy, or at the very least, easier said than done.

As far as them trying to eliminate staged fighting (fighting off the faceoff), it's a joke. Nothing is going to change, they will go for a 30 second skate and meet up for a dance during the play of the game. It's a lame half assed effort to show people who lobbying against fighting that they are trying (I use the term loosely) to eliminate it.

Just ridiculous if you ask me.
Yeah that's what I think too.

They'll just fight 15 seconds after the faceoff instead of 3 seconds after.

I personally think that the headshots are the bigger issue because it really shows the lack of respect that players have for each other. Fighting is what helps keep some of these cheapshot artists honest, but the fact that the GMs don't want to crack down on these guys is mind-boggling.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 12:45 AM
captainpaxil

i love a good hit when the guy forgot to kep his head up but a deliberate hit to the head shouldbe an unsportsanlike conduct or its own penalty. i emailed pinnachio on this earlier in the year and he said hatcher was overruled by basicly the whole team as to how the flyers feel on this to the league.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 12:59 AM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Yeah that's what I think too.

They'll just fight 15 seconds after the faceoff instead of 3 seconds after.

I personally think that the headshots are the bigger issue because it really shows the lack of respect that players have for each other. Fighting is what helps keep some of these cheapshot artists honest, but the fact that the GMs don't want to crack down on these guys is mind-boggling.
Absolutely, I don't see how that's going to rid the game of hockey from fighting. It's such a half assed effort. I'd love to hear a candid interview with Gretzky about the subject (fighting), as he had Dave Semenco to keep the other teams honest, and later had McSorely.

Old
03-12-2009, 08:27 AM
BigBanger

NHL is pansy league it all ties to letting players police themselves, get rid of instigator rule. Hockey was rougher and way more violet years ago and their was almost No intentional head shots ever.. because you would pay heavy price. This NHL is turning into soccer on ice.

BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 08:58 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBanger View Post
NHL is pansy league it all ties to letting players police themselves, get rid of instigator rule.
We can see in many areas of life that there are lots of people who think The Central Planners can always run things better than those who actually do work. Unfortunately, this is an idea that is increasingly prevalent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBanger View Post
Hockey was rougher and way more violet years ago and their was almost No intentional head shots ever...
Well, to be fair and keep perspective, there are almost no intentional head shots today. It's not a crisis.

What the league should do is punish severely those who do it. Make the offenders into pariahs like they did with Downie when he cheapshotted McAmmond.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 09:00 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
About Gagne? I would love to see someone talk bad about Gags.
That's easy. I call him Gagne West.

It's like Kanye West, but different.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 09:01 AM
kicksave27

I don't think fighting is much of a deterrent for the guys who are doing the head hunting. What they should do and started to do is suspensions. Unfortunately, the NHL is always result oriented. A blow to a guys head be it with or without the puck(as the case with kovalev & gagne, and talbot & giroux) it's 5 games and big fines, whether the guy is hurt or not(repeated blows the head will eventually result in injury). And regardless if the refs saw it or not. They can't say, we are starting to look at it, or be vague about it. Say from this day forward, hits to a guys head are off limits, this is your final warning. And be consistent about it, not hey it's a flyer lets give him 25 games instead of 5. If they would have suspended and fined kovalev, it would have sent a shockwave through the league.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 09:11 AM
BringBackStevens

The answer to all of these problems is so obvious it hurts that no one will acknowledge it.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 11:19 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
The answer to all of these problems is so obvious it hurts that no one will acknowledge it.
Bring back Tim "Dr. Hook" McCracken?

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Ri hards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
That's easy. I call him Gagne West.

It's like Kanye West, but different.
hah...that's actually pretty funny.

Ri hards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 12:51 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

I think they are spending to much time focusing on staged fights and should refocus on intentional head hits. The last few weeks/months have been primarily about fighting and their proposed rules don't even begin to help solve preventing head injuries from fights.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 03:04 PM
tytech

Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
If 75% of the players don't like the head shots, stop the head shots. You dont think the leaders on NHL teams have any pull on their teammates? It really makes no sense. If 75% are against the head shots, how does the problem get worse? Its seems contradictory to me. Players can police themselves, especially if the majority of them are against it.
This is a ridiculous post.
99% of the population is against murder so stop the murder. 87% against car theft, stop the car theft.
You can't expect in a fast game like this for players to police themselves. You also can't expect for the leaders to police the younger players when they are grown men.

If you penalize the team, penalize the player and take salary away he's going to learn and others will get the message.

tytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 03:59 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Go on....

Suspension for as long as the victim is out?

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote