HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

Should Canada get an organaized pro soccer league?

Closed Thread

Old
08-30-2004, 02:10 AM
Papa Smurf

vCash: 500
Should Canada get an organaized pro soccer league?

What does Canada have to lose? I noticed this while playing my old Fifa 2000 on my old PSone, that for international club teams you can only choose Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal, and those are uinder the "USA" category!

Think about it, we already have the facilities in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton, Montreal and Quebec City. Besides, what do we have to lose after our embarassing attempt at a semi-pro baseball league last year?

Not to mention, pro soccer league do not require a long list of teams, just look at the MLS!

Old
08-30-2004, 02:39 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_man
What does Canada have to lose? I noticed this while playing my old Fifa 2000 on my old PSone, that for international club teams you can only choose Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal, and those are uinder the "USA" category!

Think about it, we already have the facilities in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton, Montreal and Quebec City. Besides, what do we have to lose after our embarassing attempt at a semi-pro baseball league last year?

Not to mention, pro soccer league do not require a long list of teams, just look at the MLS!
why not just hope for mls expansion?

Old
08-30-2004, 03:07 AM
Oiltown16

Pro soccer does not work in Edmonton ...which is quite unfortunate

Old
08-30-2004, 08:42 AM
Douggy

Isn't there allready something up here? I know Toronto has a team and Vancouvers team is called the Ice Caps or something like that...

Old
08-30-2004, 09:03 AM
PK*

Many canadian teams are playing in the A-League, which is a step under the MLS. Montreal has one of the best teams in the league and gets around 10,000 at each home games. Off the top of my head, I think Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton and Toronto also have A-League teams. I know Edmonton is in trouble, but Vancouver is doing pretty good. There are talks of a new soccer-only stadium in Vancouver.

A Canadian soccer league would be a good idea, but I doubt it would work right now. Chances are after 2007 (U-20 World Championships held in Canada), soccer will have gained a lot of new fans in Canada. It might work after that.

Old
08-30-2004, 02:31 PM
Impossibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggy
Isn't there allready something up here? I know Toronto has a team and Vancouvers team is called the Ice Caps or something like that...
:lol

"And now, your Vancouver Ice Caaaaaps"

Somebody's been to Tim Horton's too much.

(It's the white caps, as in waves)

IMHO, the A-League should become a developmental league for the MLS, and focus on having young players. It would be just as entertaining, and it would also give Canadians a place to play and get better when they are young.

Old
08-30-2004, 02:46 PM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltown16
Pro soccer does not work in Edmonton ...which is quite unfortunate
Why won't it work?

Old
08-30-2004, 07:07 PM
HF2002

Canada used to have a nation wide league but it eventually failed because of a lack of interest and subsequently a lack of money (although that could be a chicken/egg situation).

As some had mentioned earlier, there are a couple of leagues already. There's the MLS followed by the A League, but those leagues are American leagues. There are a few Canadian teams in the two leagues, but there's no major Canadian league. After that there are a few other semi pro leagues kicking around. In Ontario there's a league called the CPSL, which can be considered as semi pro - at best.

What's interesting about this league is that some clubs are set up the same as they are in Europe. They have youth development teams and then a top team in this semi pro league. It's not much, but it's a start.

The real question is whether or not Canada needs a pro league right now. I don't think so. There's just not enough interest that would make the risk worth while. You could set up leagues similar to the CPSL in various provinces and then have the winners play each other.

Old
08-30-2004, 11:26 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddarn
Why won't it work?
Well, it didn't work because they tried to play in a 60,000 seat stadium, in a league that has an average attendance of 3,000 (or less, I can't remember). It was a disaster, but we have had huge soccer crowds for some international games here in Edmonton, so it could definately work if the people running things had a clue.

Old
08-31-2004, 12:30 AM
Pensfan86

Send a message via AIM to Pensfan86
I am not familiar with Canadian pro soccer league history, but I agree that they shoudl just wait for MLS expansion. I mean, a mexican team is joining the league i think...why not have a canadian team too? I think it would be neat to have a north american soccer league.
in all honesty, they could get a carribean team going too, like a team made up of top players from jamaica, puerto rico, costa rico, grenada, hondurus, ect.

Old
08-31-2004, 12:46 AM
eSabre

Send a message via AIM to eSabre
Yeah, I think a MLS expansion to Canada isn't too far off. The league will be at 12 teams next season (Salt Lake and Chivas USA) and possibly 14 within another two years (Rochester, NY is almost a lock). I could see Toronto getting a team, as well as Vancouver. The league is growing, and the product is getting better.

As for a Canadian league, I don't think they could last long. It'd be tough having more than 6 teams in major cities. A-League is best for now for Canada.

Old
08-31-2004, 02:20 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSabre
Yeah, I think a MLS expansion to Canada isn't too far off. The league will be at 12 teams next season (Salt Lake and Chivas USA) and possibly 14 within another two years (Rochester, NY is almost a lock). I could see Toronto getting a team, as well as Vancouver. The league is growing, and the product is getting better.

As for a Canadian league, I don't think they could last long. It'd be tough having more than 6 teams in major cities. A-League is best for now for Canada.
I saw an interesting point mentioned the other day. If Toronto got an MLS team, we could have most of our national team members playing for that team. That would be a huge boon to our national team, imo.

Closed Thread