HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

5 on 3's : YOUR unit

Old
03-11-2009, 08:46 AM
Prospector

vCash: 500
5 on 3's : YOUR unit

With the injury of Lang, 5 on 3 powerplays have been an area of concern and a hot topic of discussion among fans. In today's NHL, it's crucial to capitalize on this opportunity and it can be a turning point during a game.

With Lang we were using the "diamond formation"

Koivu

Lang ----------- Kovalev

Markov ---- Point-Man

Let's say that D'agostini is out of the lineup, which would be probable with his recent sub-par play and the return of Latendresse... With no offensive right-handed shooter, who would you send on the ice and what would be your strategy?
Would you use Metropolit who has shown some good stickhandling skills?
Would you put Kovy on the left side?
Use Tanguay, Ak-46?

Stop complaining and give solutions!

Last edited by Prospector: 03-11-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 09:12 AM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector View Post

Stop complaining and give solutions!
I'll give you solutions only if you tell Gainey to use them.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 09:16 AM
Turboflex*

It always amazes me how teams can blow long 5 on 3s so much, and not just the habs.

They are almost a sure goal, Two things work really well:

1) Move the puck around a bit and force the opposition D back into a tight triangle. At this point your teams D have closed the zone up so tightly that they are at the top of the face off circles. Now if you have the opposition playing 2 guys high, you move the puck down low and attack where you have 3 on 1 advantage, usually they just play 1 guy high covering the 2 point men, so you have your best shooter (Schneider) wire it from there. Unless the guy blows his shot it's either going in or produces a good rebound scramble.

2) Get the puck to the winger in the corner, have 2 guys in front of the net, only one can be covered (the guy in front). The other guy on the far post is wide open. The guy with the puck can now basically has the opposition pinned and can walk right up to within 2 feet of the goalie. This guy should be Kovalev, since he has an insanely accurate wrister and a hard, accurate pass, and good vision. All he has to do is slowly walk up to the goalie, who has to stay pinned to his post (to cover the inside corners, which Kovalev could hit if the goalie tries to cheat and cover the crease more). If the goalie or Dmen move he can exploit the opening, otherwise he just has to move up super closer and then wire a pass onto the stick of the uncovered guy sitting on the open net, far post.

These two strats are almost guaranteed golden chances if done well, yes it always amazes me to constantly see NHL players trying slapshots from the point, or 1 timer passes into the slot (where the opposing triangle has the shooter well covered). All you gotta do is slow it down and slowly choke up the perimeter until you've got point blank opportunities.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 09:27 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
It always amazes me how teams can blow long 5 on 3s so much, and not just the habs.

They are almost a sure goal
Well..if many teams ''blow'' them, maybe it's because they aren't almost a sure goal like you think.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 10:28 AM
Capitano

I don't understand why Tanguay doesn't get more PP time...he's a fantastic play-maker.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 10:43 AM
11Goat11
Inside her

I like when the players skate and rotate on the 5 on 3. I can't stand watching when the players are all static and they just pass the puck around, so easy to defend.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 11:09 AM
Philanthropist

Why Metro on the point of course.

Philanthropist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 11:51 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
I don't understand why Tanguay doesn't get more PP time...he's a fantastic play-maker.
agree, he always look dangerous on PP

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 12:02 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Pacioretty-Pleks-Kovy

Markov and Schneider for the complete 2 minutes

switch the forwards after a minute for

Koivu-Tanguay and Kostitsyn

That's what I would do

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 12:14 PM
habsrock76

Quote:

1) Move the puck around a bit and force the opposition D back into a tight triangle. At this point your teams D have closed the zone up so tightly that they are at the top of the face off circles. Now if you have the opposition playing 2 guys high, you move the puck down low and attack where you have 3 on 1 advantage, usually they just play 1 guy high covering the 2 point men, so you have your best shooter (Schneider) wire it from there. Unless the guy blows his shot it's either going in or produces a good rebound scramble.

2) Get the puck to the winger in the corner, have 2 guys in front of the net, only one can be covered (the guy in front). The other guy on the far post is wide open. The guy with the puck can now basically has the opposition pinned and can walk right up to within 2 feet of the goalie. This guy should be Kovalev, since he has an insanely accurate wrister and a hard, accurate pass, and good vision. All he has to do is slowly walk up to the goalie, who has to stay pinned to his post (to cover the inside corners, which Kovalev could hit if the goalie tries to cheat and cover the crease more). If the goalie or Dmen move he can exploit the opening, otherwise he just has to move up super closer and then wire a pass onto the stick of the uncovered guy sitting on the open net, far post.
These two strats are almost guaranteed golden chances if done well, yes it always amazes me to constantly see NHL players trying slapshots from the point, or 1 timer passes into the slot (where the opposing triangle has the shooter well covered). All you gotta do is slow it down and slowly choke up the perimeter until you've got point blank opportunities.
#2 Should be implemented for every 5 on 3, its almost unstoppable....at least it works on us everytime.

habsrock76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Maxpac

Tanguay-Koivu-Kostitsyn/Kovalev

Markov-schneider

any objectioins?

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 12:43 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Tanguay Koivu Kovalev

Markov Schneider

or

Kovalev Koivu Kostitsyn

Markov Schneider

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Caekslap

Carbonneau:

Kostopoulos - Higgins - Dandenault

Komisarek - Batman

Caekslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 01:13 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

2 Units;

first unit
Kostitsyn - Koivu - Tanguay
Markov - Scheinder

second unit

w/o Brisebois
D'Agostini - Plekanec - Higgins
Hamrlik - Kovalev

w/ Brisebois
D'Agostini - Plekanec - Kovalev
Hamrlik - Brisebois

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 01:17 PM
Jedrik

Because of the general tendency of teams (especially our group of forwards, I'd say) to overpass on 5 on 3 advantages, I want Andrei out there from the start.

Of course, this probably means all left handed shots up front, so some creative on-the-fly rotation might be necessary to open up the one-timer.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 08:48 PM
dfk711*
The real #11

Quote:

I wish this were true

dfk711* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 08:49 PM
Magic33

You need a right handed shot out there. It makes no sense to have 5 guys who shoot left.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic33 View Post
You need a right handed shot out there. It makes no sense to have 5 guys who shoot left.
Who cares what side they shoot from? The key is good puck movement, players moving around and getting shots on net. Even with all that you won't score at 5 on 3 all the time.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 09:27 PM
Magic33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Who cares what side they shoot from? The key is good puck movement, players moving around and getting shots on net. Even with all that you won't score at 5 on 3 all the time.
It helps a lot. When Markov has the puck at the point, the player down low to the left of the net is essential useless. If he were a right handed shot, markov could shift to the middle a bit and have an option to pass to that right handed shot for a one timer. It makes a huge difference. It gives you a scoring opportunity on both sides of the ice instead of always passing towards the right.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote