HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

3/12 New York Rangers @ Nashville Predators 8:00 PM MSG

Old
03-13-2009, 10:14 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I don't understand why people take this approach to players like Zherdev. "Oh man he has all the talent in the world but can't dominate, **** this guy!"

He's talented, but he's not actually *that* talented, and he doesn't have the head for the game to be an elite player. So take him for what he is. A skilled second tier player who can play 1st or 2nd line, but isn't going to be your franchise player or something.

The only reason I see to get on Zherdev is if his inconsistent play means he's making really bad turnovers or not playing defense. If it just means he's struggling to score for a little while, but still finishes the season with 60-70 points, then you know what? That's what he is. Don't pretend that he should be a 100 point player and then get pissed when he isn't.
Torts isn't willing to lower his expectations. Nor should he.

03-13-2009, 10:32 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Problem with last night is half the team showed up to play and the other half were going through the motions.

If the entire team put the effort the Gomez line put in, this would have been a blowout.

I thought Girardi's play has been much better as of late despite all the criticism hes received here. Hes turning it around playing with Staal and all the minutes is giving him confidence. Staal is downright silly right now. Incredibly impressive, and hes stringing the games together now.

On the flip side, Rozsival was just flat out OK at best and couldn't handle the puck at all. Hes got to step it up, as do the other defensman. Mara hasnt been himself lately either, but he isnt costing the team.

Morris i thought made a few bad decisions early, but came around and played his best game as a Ranger. I still think he has a lot more to offer in the offensive zone.

All things aside, the Rangers are 4-2-1 under Torts and have won 4 of the last 5. I still think they can play much better as a TEAM. Its gonna take a few games, but lets hope they peak at the right moment. Right now its touch and go with this team and with the new players and combos out there its going to take a few games to settle in.

Keep this in mind. If they sweep the FLyers this weekend, theyll be tied with them and have more wins. It's unlikely, but its possible.

HockeyBasedNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 11:54 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
Sting, Gomez played a strong puck possession game tonight, made some quality scoring chances, was skating phenomenally out there, showed off some great stick handling, wasn't lazy, and had a 3 point game contributing with 5 different players. I'm not saying Gomez won us the game tonight, but if he was benched instead of Zherdev the games turnout would have been completely different.
Thank you for throwing out a collection of Pierre McGuire-esque comments, you forgot to add "active stick" to the list, but these generic comments don't change the fact that when the plays were made that produced that line's most effective shifts, Avery and Callahan were in the middle of them. They were the one's making the defensive plays, they were the ones battling in the corners and behind the net. To Gomez's credit, he played his part in the cycle on that line, but there was hardly an instance where he created anything for that line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I'm shocked you can possibly say that virtually everything done today on the Gomez line was by Avery and Cally.

Shocked.

Do you even watch hockey?

Gomez was fantastic tonight. He looked like a #1 center (and has since Torts took over).

And please. When Redden is on, he IS a force. He had yet another solid game today and was inches away from scoring another goal. He's got a real, real good low, hard shot that is almost always |--| this close from either going in on it's own or being tipped in.

Both of them looked very good tonight.

Give them credit when they deserve it. It's a shame that you can't look past their paychecks and constantly rag on them or short them credit for no real reason.
I guess because it's been a long time since this team has had either a true #1 center or a true dominant defenseman that you can say something like this.

If I was a video editing wizard, I'd gladly cut up the video and present you with each of the line's shifts, where it's clear who is making the key plays. I'm not, so you'll have to settle for watching a replay. And this is no different than it was for most of the season, mind you. Don't forget Callahan played with Gomez a lot this year, and this was always the case. It was Callahan that made the big plays, rarely Gomez or Naslund.

Again, when you spend all your time playing with the two most talented players (Zherdev, Naslund) and the two guys that work the hardest and create the most opportunities and chances (Callahan and Avery), you're bound to get points.

I'm not saying he was terrible, or that he isn't playing somewhat better than he did the last few months. I'll give him that. But his shot selection is still awful, in general, he's still giving the puck away at very inopportune times a couple of times a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalRanger View Post
Just like the username,stingee ,its never enough.
I don't know what this means? Is this some kind of dig at the singer or something? IDK, my name has nothing to do with Sting and/or the Police. Or the wrestler for that matter.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 12:09 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I'm not saying he was terrible, or that he isn't playing somewhat better than he did the last few months. I'll give him that. But his shot selection is still awful, in general, he's still giving the puck away at very inopportune times a couple of times a game.
I think ultimately, this is the answer. Gomez has his good qualities and bad qualities. Earlier in the season, we were pretty much just getting the bad without the good. Now at least we're getting the things he really is good at, too.

I wouldn't call him dominant, but this was probably his best game of the season. When he plays like this, I can almost tolerate having him around.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 12:39 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I think ultimately, this is the answer. Gomez has his good qualities and bad qualities. Earlier in the season, we were pretty much just getting the bad without the good. Now at least we're getting the things he really is good at, too.

I wouldn't call him dominant, but this was probably his best game of the season. When he plays like this, I can almost tolerate having him around.
I'll agree for the most part, except that while I'm almost at the level of being able to tolerate him, I fall just short.

He's maddening to watch. One of the most frustrating players I've ever seen. He just makes me want to bang my head against the wall.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 12:44 PM
Levitate

eh, Gomez isn't a player that ever really stands out at anything other than his skating. He always takes some bad shots when he should pass, and his passing looks a lot worse than it is a lot of times. By that I mean, he doesn't make a ton of picture perfect, amazing no one else can do that type of passes. But he does manage to create scoring chances and make some good passes. Kind of a "gets the job done without being flashy" type of playing style.

I think if you wait for Gomez to look amazing or like he's controlling the play, you're going to be waiting a long time unless you're happy watching him skate through the neutral zone. At the same time, he's going to be effective and usually get his points. Having a player like Callahan who can create turnovers and do some dirty work definitely helps him.

Callahan is kind of an odd player in terms of where he fits in the lineup. He doesn't have the pure scoring ability, or offensive instincts, to be a traditional top 6 player. But he does so many things that result in scoring chances that he often ends up being a benefit to a top 6 line.

Ideally you'd have someone like him who can also put the puck in the net on a regular basis, but Callahan is what the Rangers have.

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 12:49 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Naslund is a very "dumb" hockey player. He makes a lot of bad plays and takes bad penalties every game, but sometimes makes up for it by being able to score goals. He looks like someone without a lot of hockey smarts who just happens to have enough skills to put up some points
i dont think thats fair. he just isnt nearly as good as he used to be. dont think its a case of being a dumb player, but when he was in his prime he was one of the best players in the league capable of doing things that he wanted to do, while now he just simply isnt good enough to do the things he tries to do anymore.

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 01:13 PM
Levitate

That sounds pretty dumb then, right?

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 02:43 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post

I think it is a chemistry thing. Avery-Gomez- Callahan is an old Renney's weapon that served this team well. I think it will be that way, cause Gomez looks much better with "old pals". Zherdev is the victim of Totrs discovery that this makes sense. If that line for some reason wouldn't work, Zherdev would have been back no matter how serious his misdid was.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 03:53 PM
TomLaidlaw

Good road win. Seems we got help from the teams around us in the standings as well. Overall good night.

Positives:

-Henrik making those two huge saves in the second period.

-The 2nd period as a whole was one of the most dominant periods I have seen this team play. They controlled the play for the entire period. Other than that brain fart by Redden to allow that long outlet pass to spring the breakaway behind him the team was impressive the whole period.

-I thought Redden had a really solid first period. He made a few very good plays, specifically on the PK.

-Staal and Girardi combo. Staal is playing out of his mind right now. Physical and smart. Torts seems to have turned that pairing into our #1 Defense pairing in terms of the ice time they get.

-Derek Morris is getting better every game. I feel very confident when he is on the ice. He looks very comfortable and makes smart decisions with the puck.

-The Avery-Gomez-Cally line were incredible.

-Avery is playing amazing hockey right now. There were a few times in last nights game where he could have gotten a penalty if he reacted and pushed a situation further, instead he toed the line very well. He brings a dimension to this team that simply can't be replicated by any other player on our roster. Glad to have him back.

Negatives:

-Shea Weber isn't a Ranger.

-Torts seems to not be a big fan of the type of player Naslund is and he is slowly playing himself into a healthy scratch.

-I thought Rozy had a very uninspiring performance. Not that he played badly he just didn't really do anything well and seemed to be unable to control any passes. He just had one of those games.

-Reddens 2nd period. I was really impressed with his play the 1st period and then his game kinda fell apart in the 2nd. I just never know what Wade Redden is gonna do from one period to the next. Very frustrating.

-Zherdev situation. In my opinion that 2nd period was one of the most dominant periods this team has had, unfortunately Zherdev was on the bench for all of it. I rewatched the first period and in my opinion Zherdev wasn't floating and really didn't deserve to be benched. Yeah he made a few bonehead plays at the end of the first but he didn't play as bad as Naslund in the first. I trust Torts in his handling of young talented players since he seemed to have gotten through to Vinny L with tough love so I won't get crazy about this. I am really curious to see how Zherdev plays in that first period tommorow against the Flyers.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote