HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Simon Gagne

Old
03-13-2009, 09:39 AM
duffy9748

vCash: 500
Simon Gagne

Where has he gone? He came out from the start on fire and seems to have completely lost his scoring touch. He has 10 goals in his last 28 games. He doesn't seem to be using that snap shot he's used for years either.

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 09:41 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
Where has he gone? He came out from the start on fire and seems to have completely lost his scoring touch. He has 10 goals in his last 28 games. He doesn't seem to be using that snap shot he's used for years either.
10 in 28 is not bad by any means. Almost a 30G pace if he did that all season.

He will pick it up, no worries.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 09:44 AM
twenty2

Yeah I think he's just going through a slump. I expect him to get back into it before the postseason begins.

One thing though. You remember when he got hit earlier this season against Montreal? And it was a cheap hit long after the puck had left his stick?

I know Gagne had quite a few complaints about it. Anyway, anyone by chance want to look up to see if he has had a problem scoring goals since around that time? I'm far too lazy, but I think it would be an interesting thing to note. Gagne's been speaking out against dirty hits for a while now. He probably has a VERY good reason to be upset. Think: concussion last year...maybe a slump this year caused by a late hit?

twenty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 09:49 AM
UseYourAllusion

I don't worry about Gags, even if he's scoring goals slower now, he still plays excellent D and sets up his linemates nicely

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 09:52 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
I don't worry about Gags, even if he's scoring goals slower now, he still plays excellent D and sets up his linemates nicely
He also has 62 pts, with more assists then he usually does. I would say Richie has taken some goals from Gagne, and supplied Gags with more Assists.

Richie and Gags is a scary combo, both play excellent D, can shoot, and pass well.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 09:57 AM
twenty2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
He also has 62 pts, with more assists then he usually does. I would say Richie has taken some goals from Gagne, and supplied Gags with more Assists.

Richie and Gags is a scary combo, both play excellent D, can shoot, and pass well.
I was kinda thinking Gags would get more goals because of Richie and Richie would get more assists cause of Gags.

You're right though. No complaints here. Both are playing well.

twenty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 10:26 AM
chaosof99*

It's kinda weird questioning the production of a player currently on a 5-game point streak.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 10:30 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
So long (knocks wood) as he's not injured, everything is a-okay. Gagne does so many little things right in his game, he's still producing when he's not scoring...I'm not at all worried in the least.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 10:52 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
It's kinda weird questioning the production of a player currently on a 5-game point streak.
Welcome to Philadelphia fans.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 10:52 AM
Death of a Martian

Gagne is so far down on the list of my worries I haven't even thought about it.

Death of a Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 11:23 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
Has has that fancy name and skating style that would lead one to believe that he can create for himself, but he really can't. He is reliant upon a well-functioning line to score goals (just like almost everyone else) and his key linemate (Richards) has been playing poorly. Richards' puckhandling, passing, and decision making has been awful of late and Gagne's production has suffered as a result.

Hopefully it will pass.

You need your big guys to play big and let's face it: Gagne, Richards, and Carter have been dreadful over the past two weeks.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 11:28 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
This thread =

Is there really a whole thread dedicated to wondering whats wrong with our best winger, a guy who has 62 points in 63 games? He has 5 goals and 14 points in his last 13 games.

Season accomplishments: Hes on pace for 78 points which is 1 less than his career high of 79, setting a new career high is NOT out of the question at all. He's already set a career high in assists which he did with like 20 games remaining in the season. He's 2nd on the team in +/- and in the top 10 in the league. His 4 SHG and 8 SHp are 2nd best in the league, only trailing Richards in both catagories. And maybe his best accomplishment (although not yet done) is that he is on pace to play the most games he has in a season since the pre lockout era.

Get off the guys back, just because he didnt keep up his 1.5ppg pace he was on during the first 20 games of the season and just because hes not scoring 40 goals(on a team where he was the only pure goal scorer) does not mean he isnt having an awesome season. He had a little mid season slump and now hes back to being on the scoresheet almost every night. He has been pointless just 2 games over the past month!

Wheres the thread for Jeff Carter? Is that next?

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 11:32 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Has has that fancy name and skating style that would lead one to believe that he can create for himself, but he really can't. He is reliant upon a well-functioning line to score goals (just like almost everyone else) and his key linemate (Richards) has been playing poorly. Richards' puckhandling, passing, and decision making has been awful of late and Gagne's production has suffered as a result.

Hopefully it will pass.

You need your big guys to play big and let's face it: Gagne, Richards, and Carter have been dreadful over the past two weeks.
While richards has been turning the puck over a lot that hasnt taken away from his offensive game. He has 18 points in the past month(12 games). Gagne isnt far behind. Gagne's production has nothing to do with Richards problems lately. If it did he wouldnt be scoring more now than he was a month ago. But yes Gagne does need decent players around him but thats not uncommon for ANY player. The only player in the NHL with more points than him playing with less than great linemates is Kovalchuk.

Last edited by Juicy Couturier*: 03-13-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old
03-13-2009, 11:38 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 844
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Gagne might not be scoring many goals, but he has improved in so many other areas of the game. He doesn't have to be that sniper anymore, so he's been able to work the puck down low, pass, and play defense more and do it more effectively. He's the least of my concerns.

BillyShoe1721 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 11:43 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

Arg
This board sometimes
He's too busy with amazing passes to be scoring goals, how about that?

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 12:01 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
Arg
This board sometimes
He's too busy with amazing passes to be scoring goals, how about that?
lol true. Its harder than it sounds to shoot and pass at the same time. All that matter is that puck is coming from his stick and into the net at as high of a pace as any time in his career.

Old
03-13-2009, 12:41 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post

Hopefully it will pass.

i agree that they haven't played as well, but i think you're being a bit too dramatic/harsh here. the 12-18-22 was our best line against boston and basically won us the game, and the games where they haven't played well (calgary, nj) nobody played well. i wouldn't say they've been dreadful/awful.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 01:39 PM
blah

The Jokinen line owned the Richards line...completely.

blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 01:57 PM
Cmoneyflyguy

Quote:
Gagne, Richards, and Carter have been dreadful over the past two weeks.
Skipped the Boston game?
Or last night's ?

Old
03-13-2009, 02:04 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
Skipped the Boston game?
Or last night's ?
Their line has 7 goals and 19 points over the last 5 games. Not bad at all. They had a cuple bad games but they also has a couple great games.

Old
03-13-2009, 02:09 PM
Pwood
B-B-B-Bus can't swim

Send a message via AIM to Pwood Send a message via Yahoo to Pwood
I don't think that it has anything to do with his inability to score (we obviously know he can do that), but I think he's tried to become a playmaker this season. I see him passing from behind the net to Knuble or Richards a lot. He works the puck into good areas, knows when to pass it back to the D, knows when to pass it cross ice, etc. He may not be scoring goals as much, but he has been out there for a ton of goals (look at his +/- and points).

The only problem I've noticed with this line is that they try to hold the puck too long looking for THE right pass and it sometimes backfires. I think they need to play with more conifdence and understand that this line is pretty productive (3 24+ goals scorers, just on one line).

I'd love to see Gagne score more, but if what he is doing now helps us to win, then I'm 100% okay with it.

It's a goal-scoring slump, sure, but not a point slump in the least.

Pwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 02:17 PM
blah

Assuming Briere comes back and proves capable of staying in the lineup, what happens? I think Richards ends up with Carcillo and Giroux, and Briere gets Gagne and Knuble.

Old
03-13-2009, 02:23 PM
forzanerazzurri

Gagne wont score 40 goals with Richards on his line its pretty simple. He has a ton of assists lately and is really attacking the net well and using his speed. He looks great out there. Before he was really the only guy who could score on this team and now he isnt. Thats why he isnt scoring like before. Thats not a bad thing.

forzanerazzurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 02:34 PM
blah

Ehh, he's played mostly with Briere, Forsberg, and Knuble the last couple seasons. All of them can score. The fact that they have another goalscorer, on a different line mind you, has little to nothing to do with Gagne's goal scoring output. If anything, Gagne should have an easier time scoring because Carter's line will draw bigger checkers than Richards'.

Old
03-13-2009, 02:36 PM
Cmoneyflyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah View Post
Assuming Briere comes back and proves capable of staying in the lineup, what happens? I think Richards ends up with Carcillo and Giroux, and Briere gets Gagne and Knuble.
No way they break up that first line