HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Greene Signs a 5-Year, $14.75MM Contract Extension ($2.95MM per year)

Old
03-12-2009, 02:24 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
here's a Cammalleri "basher" for ya. how's THIS for nonchalant... were Dean able to sign Mike for a reasonable amount, i'd have zero problem with it... he's going to score goals, we all know that.

ain't gonna happen though, and the biggest reason is because they are too much alike... it wasn't Dean. it wasn't Cammalleri -- it was BOTH of them.
YOU ARE RIGHT, it aint gonna happen....I have heard what DL has to say about Cammy in private and its not warm and fuzzy, far from it. The reality of the bargainning was that the NHLPA tried to use Cammy to set high a comparable, (based on Vanek's offer sheet 7 yrs @ 7mMM per) and Cammy, as the NHLPA player rep for the Kings went along with it. THAT IS WHERE THE 6MM original demand came from. In response DL lowballed him, and the parties dug their resepective trenches. The rest is history, and personal attacks.

I'd take him back in heartbeat. DL and half the posters on this board wouldn't.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 11:44 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooney View Post
Yep, I would too. I think that would be awesome!
You're damn right it would. He might get his share of goals, but his turnovers and lack of defensive ability in his own zone would be the gift that keeps on giving.

Not to mention that at $6M he would be grossly overpaid.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 01:20 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
You're damn right it would. He might get his share of goals, but his turnovers and lack of defensive ability in his own zone would be the gift that keeps on giving.

Not to mention that at $6M he would be grossly overpaid.

LOL. When your team isn't good enough to convert turnovers, it doesn't really matter how many times the other team turns the puck over...

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 01:24 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
LOL. When your team isn't good enough to convert turnovers, it doesn't really matter how many times the other team turns the puck over...
I agree, but since the Kings have been playing pretty well since the all-star break, and are a young team that is only getting better, you must be talking about another team.

Old
03-13-2009, 01:48 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Yes, the Kings have improved, but they're still in the bottom half of the league even with the surge. Not deadly yet. Need 2nd line center.

Old
03-13-2009, 02:21 AM
The VEGASKING
#1 fan

Send a message via AIM to The VEGASKING Send a message via Yahoo to The VEGASKING
Am I missing something? Did every 30-40+ goal scorer in the league turn in to Selke finalists overnight? The Datsyuk and Zetterbergs are the exception not the rule.

The VEGASKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 03:38 AM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Quote:
The Kings need a 1st line winger to play with Kopitar whom can bury the biscuit.
Fixed.

savemefromtears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 12:35 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemefromtears View Post
Fixed.
Look at the history of Cup winners. Depth is more important than one line and I can't find a team that's won with the likes of Stoll and Handzus and their number 2.

Old
03-13-2009, 01:01 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Look at the history of Cup winners. Depth is more important than one line and I can't find a team that's won with the likes of Stoll and Handzus and their number 2.
Handzus will be off the books in 2 years. Or did you expect them to with the Cup in the next 2 years? Or maybe we should be tanking the next two years to get that elite center high in the draft? Look at the history of the draft. Drafting high does not equate to winning or a player who is wins.

And the cliche, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Stoll has been to the finals and Handzus has played a lot of playoff games. Those are the type of guys the team will need if and when they do make it to the playoffs.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 01:09 PM
no name

[QUOTE=DIEHARD the King fan;18490273]YOU ARE RIGHT, it aint gonna happen....I have heard what DL has to say about Cammy in private and its not warm and fuzzy, far from it. [QUOTE]

********. I'm calling you out on this one. No way he goes out of his way to talk trash to some nobody who stalks him at the Kings practice. Get over yourself.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 01:46 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 460
Quote:
Have you ever thought that a guy like Handzus was brought into to change the team's attitude and work ethic and Stoll might have been a guy that Lombardi planned to buy low and sell high on?

Stoll (at least in Edmonton) was seen as a guy on the scrap heap that wasn't going to recover from injuries and he's had a nice bounce back year and is going to surpass 20/50. How do you know Lombardi isn't planning to flip him in a package for a elite player now that his value is higher?

Flour Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 01:56 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Pavel Datsyuk and Filppula? Hudler? my mom could've centered the second line and they'd have still won.

Andy McDonald and a 21-year old Ryan Getzlaf?

21-year old Eric Staal and the 3-headed 3rd line center -- Brind'Amour, Weight and Cullen?

the last dynamic 1-2 punch up the middle Stanley Cup winner was Lecavalier and Richards.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 01:58 PM
wabwat

the commonality between the last three cup champions was their ability to shut teams down.... oh yeah, and win faceoffs.

Old
03-13-2009, 02:12 PM
Defgarden

Quote:
Pavel Datsyuk and Filppula? Hudler? my mom could've centered the second line and they'd have still won.

Andy McDonald and a 21-year old Ryan Getzlaf?

21-year old Eric Staal and the 3-headed 3rd line center -- Brind'Amour, Weight and Cullen?

the last dynamic 1-2 punch up the middle Stanley Cup winner was Lecavalier and Richards.
Brind'Amour had a good year and was a Selke finalist wasn't he?, but yea, I think your point is noted.

Almost all of the Stanley Cup winners have had hot goaltending and a Norris canidate defensman or at least a great defense corps(with maybe the exception of Carolina, but Cam Ward was pretty nuts then).

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 02:22 PM
wabwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defgarden View Post
Brind'Amour had a good year and was a Selke finalist wasn't he?, but yea, I think your point is noted.
...and Pahlsson, and Datsyuk AND Zetterberg... i don't necessarily think that the vast majority of hockey pundits are stupid when they say defense wins championships, regardless of how many times we try to be cute when we hork all over them.

Old
03-13-2009, 03:25 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASKING View Post
Am I missing something? Did every 30-40+ goal scorer in the league turn in to Selke finalists overnight? The Datsyuk and Zetterbergs are the exception not the rule.
No, of course you're not missing anything, but most 30-40 goal scorers that make over $5M make the other players around them better. You don't pay a guy that kind of money when it is a requirement that he play with real good players in order to attain those kind of numbers.

For the record, I would be fine with paying a guy like Cammalleri around $4M a season, but no way would I give him over $5M.

Old
03-13-2009, 04:23 PM
Brodie562

Quote:
No, of course you're not missing anything, but most 30-40 goal scorers that make over $5M make the other players around them better. You don't pay a guy that kind of money when it is a requirement that he play with real good players in order to attain those kind of numbers.

For the record, I would be fine with paying a guy like Cammalleri around $4M a season, but no way would I give him over $5M.
Who did he play with during his 80 point season??

Brodie562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 04:29 PM
wabwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie562 View Post
Who did he play with during his 80 point season??
Frolov.

Old
03-13-2009, 06:11 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Frolov.
This is a guy I would pay $5M. The question is will Lombardi do it. It's debatable since he's a wing and not a center, and I'm sure Dean would like to get him at a discount.

Old
03-13-2009, 06:12 PM
The VEGASKING
#1 fan

Send a message via AIM to The VEGASKING Send a message via Yahoo to The VEGASKING
Quote:
No, of course you're not missing anything, but most 30-40 goal scorers that make over $5M make the other players around them better.
Looking at the goal scoring leaders I'm not sure I agree with that. Do Kovalchuk, Hossa and Vanek at 7+ million a year really make other players better? Play great defense? Marleau at 6.3? Jeff Carter? Loui Eriksson?

Quote:
I don't disagree with that. 6 million like was mentioned earlier, definitely not. 5? In the Kings case probably not because they have so much money tied up in Stoll and Handzus and Cammalleri doesn't solve the first or second line center problem.

He showed in '06 and '07 he doesn't need to play with an Iginla to score 30 goals. No offense wabwat

Edit: Left out the main point of my posts. All this just to say your posts make it seem like he is the only scorer in the league that is one dimensional.

Last edited by The VEGASKING: 03-13-2009 at 06:22 PM.
The VEGASKING is offline   Reply With Quote