HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

What happened at the marathon?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-30-2004, 11:32 AM
  #26
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK
 
Tricolore#20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,189
vCash: 500
Apparently, the Brasilian runner De Lima is getting a special medal. The IOC is giving him a sportsmanship medal, which is the highest honour any athlete can receive apparently.

I agree, he shouldn't be awarded a gold medal, but the fact that he is getting this special medal is a form of justice for him. I can't imagine how terrified he must have been when he saw this crazed lunatic running towards him. He should be commended for being able to finish the race.

Tricolore#20 is offline  
Old
08-30-2004, 12:20 PM
  #27
rabi_sultan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London, England
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 3,782
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
talking of animal misfortune. man i saw this dog once who decided to take a walk behind a B747 jumbo while it was taking off. Who ever said dogs can't fly were sure wrong about it.

as for why i dont find it too funny is coz i had my cat run over so thats why.

rabi_sultan is offline  
Old
08-30-2004, 12:21 PM
  #28
rabi_sultan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London, England
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 3,782
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20
Apparently, the Brasilian runner De Lima is getting a special medal. The IOC is giving him a sportsmanship medal, which is the highest honour any athlete can receive apparently.

I agree, he shouldn't be awarded a gold medal, but the fact that he is getting this special medal is a form of justice for him. I can't imagine how terrified he must have been when he saw this crazed lunatic running towards him. He should be commended for being able to finish the race.
right but the point is that atheletes get paid a huge amount by the IOC once they retire. He's lost that right because of an idiot so is this special medal going to give him any extra money on retirement?

Because if it isn't then its only a gimmick.

rabi_sultan is offline  
Old
08-30-2004, 03:55 PM
  #29
FearTheFlyers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
its a shame nobody ran the idiot over at the grand prix.

the idiot should be put behind bars.
He did 2 months in England after the Silverstone incident.

He's a Catholic priest who thinks the world is ending and i'ts his duty to warn everyone.

FearTheFlyers is offline  
Old
08-30-2004, 08:59 PM
  #30
BCCHL inactive
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country:
Posts: 10,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSpeedOnly
He's a Catholic priest who thinks the world is ending and i'ts his duty to warn everyone.
He's a former priest. He's been banned from preaching for over a decade.

The news I've read said that the Brazilian Olympic Association is appealing for a duplicate gold medal for de Lima, who thinks he would have won gold if not for this psychotic jackass.

As nice as a sportsmanship medal is, I wouldn't be satisfied with it if I were de Lima. I wouldn't want to be awarded a gold medal because the two guys ahead of me didn't take me out. As I have already mentioned, I would be launching one huge lawsuit due to the complete lack of competent security at the event.

If they want a duplicate gold, why not a duplicate silver too? That's about as much sense as that makes.

BCCHL inactive is offline  
Old
08-30-2004, 11:20 PM
  #31
Epsilon
#TeamHolland
 
Epsilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 35,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Strange that this never happens in the tour de France
It happened to Eddy Merckx when he was going for his sixth win. A fan ran out and punched him in the kidneys, which dealt him both a physical and emotional blow. It's arguable that Thevenet might have beat him regardless, but we will never know for sure.

Epsilon is offline  
Old
08-31-2004, 03:03 AM
  #32
Belgian Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 11,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
It happened to Eddy Merckx when he was going for his sixth win. A fan ran out and punched him in the kidneys, which dealt him both a physical and emotional blow. It's arguable that Thevenet might have beat him regardless, but we will never know for sure.
Yup, Eddy still maintains until today that he would have won that Tour, and who are we to disagree with the greatest athlete of all time

Also in 1996 (or 1995) the Tour went over to the Spanish Pays Basque and some protestors blocked the road in the downhill section of a Col in the Pyrenees. The riders had to step down but it was quickly resolved.

There's loads of other cycling incidents: Belli punching a fan (Giro D'Italia), a pony running over Erik Zabel (Gent Wevelgem IIRC), strikers blocking the road (happened everywhere I would guess, including the Tour and Paris Roubaix), ....

Belgian Fan is offline  
Old
08-31-2004, 06:35 AM
  #33
rabi_sultan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London, England
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 3,782
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
(just asking) was there ever an incident with that guy running around dressed up as a devil who'd run with the cyclists up the hill ?

rabi_sultan is offline  
Old
08-31-2004, 09:40 AM
  #34
Sampe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Vantaa
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian Fan
Yup, Eddy still maintains until today that he would have won that Tour, and who are we to disagree with the greatest athlete of all time
I don't know about others, but this comment of yours makes me wanna start the "All-time Athlete Draft".

Sampe is offline  
Old
08-31-2004, 09:42 AM
  #35
popperbolt*
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: WIEN
Country: Australia
Posts: 3,004
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to popperbolt*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampe
I don't know about others, but this comment of yours makes me wanna start the "All-time Athlete Draft".
NO!!

popperbolt* is offline  
Old
08-31-2004, 09:45 AM
  #36
Belgian Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 11,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampe
I don't know about others, but this comment of yours makes me wanna start the "All-time Athlete Draft".
hehe, I see where you're going at.
I only named him that because all Belgian publications called him 'athlete of the century' over the likes of Nurmi, Lewis, ...

I don't necessarily disagree with that, but I don't think one can really decide on that, as the different sports/eras are impossible to compare.

Belgian Fan is offline  
Old
08-31-2004, 09:49 AM
  #37
Sampe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Vantaa
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian Fan
hehe, I see where you're going at.
I only named him that because all Belgian publications called him 'athlete of the century' over the likes of Nurmi, Lewis, ...

I don't necessarily disagree with that, but I don't think one can really decide on that, as the different sports/eras are impossible to compare.
That's exactly the beauty of it! Virtually *all* of the picks would be steals!

Sampe is offline  
Old
08-31-2004, 05:21 PM
  #38
hardcore_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Ottawa
Country: Tokelau
Posts: 1,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronblom
I remember Michael Schumacher running over a rabbit once, it wasn´t much left of that rabbit afterwards...
I'm pretty sure it was a groundhog actually.

hardcore_fan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.