HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zherdev Struggles May Help Blueshirts Avoid Arbitration

Old
03-14-2009, 05:50 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Zherdev Struggles May Help Blueshirts Avoid Arbitration

Quote:
Barring a goal-scoring spree over the final 14 games, which the Blueshirts would more than welcome, the impending 24-year-old Group II free agent will not be in position to hit a salary arbitration home run should he fail to reach a contract agreement with GM Glen Sather before July 1.

At his current pace, Zherdev will score 23 goals, three fewer than he scored last year for Columbus and four under the career high of 27 he established with the Blue Jackets in 2005-06. As such, though he surely will gain an increase over the $2.5 million per year he has earned throughout his expiring three-year contract, he's not likely to score a multi-year deal above the $3-$3.5 million range.

Zherdev also is extremely unlikely to attract an offer sheet to use as leverage against the cap-stressed Rangers. The Blueshirts have nine players under contract for $41.1 million against a ceiling that likely will fall between $55 and $58 million - depending on final season revenues and whether the NHLPA exercises its 5-percent bump for next season
http://www.nypost.com/seven/03142009..._av_159534.htm

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 08:51 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Do we even know if the Ranger want him, or if Zherdev wants to come back? I feel like this is not even a money issue at this point for either side - more like a desire to have him on the team (or Zherdev's desire to stay).

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 08:56 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Why wouldn't Zherdev want to return and why wouldn't the Rangers want to re-sign him?Don't say because Torts benched Zherdev on Thursday night.That's foolish.

Zherdev was quoted two months ago saying he wanted to stay in New York and had no interest in playing in Russia.

Old
03-14-2009, 08:58 AM
The Thomas J.*

I'm not sure if I want him back on a multi year deal, he is a great passer & creates offense, but hye needs to shoot the puck more, we have plently of guys who can pass the puck, Gomez, Naslund, we need guys to finish.

One thing Z does that we need is he can carry the puck end to end, only he & Gomez can do that on a regular basis as far as the forwards go.

I won't lose much sleep if he walks at seasons end. I would like to see one of the prospects come up & take his spot or scower the F/A market to see what is comparble out there.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 09:39 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
I'm not sure if I want him back on a multi year deal, he is a great passer & creates offense, but hye needs to shoot the puck more, we have plently of guys who can pass the puck, Gomez, Naslund, we need guys to finish.

One thing Z does that we need is he can carry the puck end to end, only he & Gomez can do that on a regular basis as far as the forwards go.

I won't lose much sleep if he walks at seasons end. I would like to see one of the prospects come up & take his spot or scower the F/A market to see what is comparble out there.
Silliness. He has the most points on the team and is clearly the most talented player we have. I think he will eventually thrive under Torts, much like Lecavalier (not that he'll become that good). If we can lock him up for multiple years, especially for a relatively inexpensive deal, you gotta do it.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 09:42 AM
Nich

excelent news...hopefully we can sign him in the 3 mill range, along with Antorpov, then trade rosi for some extra room, especially since he is not a top 3 d man for us....

and maybe we resign mara, and then bring up potter and someone else for the 5th and 6th spot.....

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 09:50 AM
Prospalous

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Why wouldn't Zherdev want to return and why wouldn't the Rangers want to re-sign him?Don't say because Torts benched Zherdev on Thursday night.That's foolish.

Zherdev was quoted two months ago saying he wanted to stay in New York and had no interest in playing in Russia.
thats funny, I think a certain player named Brendan Shanahan said the same. Now look where he is? (Not always the players choice, bud)

Prospalous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 10:05 AM
peanutbuttacallytime
#therightway

why wouldnt someone want zherdev back? cause he got benched by torts one game? please. the kid has a world of talent and it torts can get him to into the system we can see his scoring dramatically increase

peanutbuttacallytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 10:08 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. 3 year deal, 3.5 mill per. Callahan and Dubi will get around 2 a piece for 2-3 years.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 10:11 AM
GarretJoseph*

I like the kid but so far he seems like a 2nd line winger to me. He's still young so perhaps he can become the #1 I thought we were getting from all the excitement. Theres lots of room for potential but I see a lot of Kovalev (when he was in NY) in this kid. I wouldn't be shocked or upset if he was traded.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 10:21 AM
ThirdEye

I wouldn't be too upset to see him go only if we find a decent replacement for 3 million. I don't think letting him go to replace him with someone with no experience from the AHL is such a good idea. This team has 30 less goals scored than any other EC team in the playoffs right now. Imagine what it would be without Zherdev

I think Zherdev easily has 40-40 potential. If he stays, hopefully Tortorella can get the best out of him and he gives us at least a season or two of that. Also, we might possibly get to see a Zherdev - Anisimov - Grachev line

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 10:29 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWESGOTPAWES View Post
thats funny, I think a certain player named Brendan Shanahan said the same. Now look where he is? (Not always the players choice, bud)
That's because the Rangers decided not to re-sign Shanahan.Have the Rangers made that determination with Zherdev?If you already know,elighten us bud.

Last edited by RangerBoy: 03-15-2009 at 06:11 AM.
Old
03-14-2009, 11:01 AM
Vitto79

of course he will be brought back. this team can't score and he can

I actually think we are freaking about the cap now but guys will fit in. If they can save on Dubi and Zherdev then a guy like Antropov may be able to be brought back

Cally and Sjo have to come back

I really see Betts, Orr, Mara, Morris all gone.............if they move Rozi then they could bring Mara back and let Sangs step in for PP time and Sauer maybe as the 6th

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 11:04 AM
broadwayblue

3.5 for Zherdev? Get it done. That's a hell of a value considering what Gomez and Drury are getting.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 11:05 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

LOL at people not wanting I'm back and even bigger LOL at people thinkng Sathr won't want him back.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 11:06 AM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
Theres lots of room for potential but I see a lot of Kovalev
In his dreams.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 11:11 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

Two months ago this team was very different...he just got benched during a game and is playing for a much tougher coach. Two months is plenty of time for things to change. I don't think he has changed his mind but the possibility is there.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 11:17 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Two months ago this team was very different...he just got benched during a game and is playing for a much tougher coach. Two months is plenty of time for things to change. I don't think he has changed his mind but the possibility is there.
Yes the possibility is there...but we're talking about 2 separate issues. Whether HE wants to come back is obviously important. That said, why any Rangers fans wouldn't want him back (and at a bargain basement price of 3-3.5m) is another...and that one is mind boggling.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 01:00 PM
levski87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. 3 year deal, 3.5 mill per. Callahan and Dubi will get around 2 a piece for 2-3 years.
Dubi will get 2?... I see Cally and Dubi getting around 1.5

Petr Prucha got 30 goals and he had a 1.6 mil contract, how do you expect Dubi and Cally to get more. Dubi hasn't done squat this season and Cally deserves a 1.5

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 01:49 PM
mattyd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
LOL at people not wanting I'm back and even bigger LOL at people thinkng Sathr won't want him back.
Exactly Sather loves this guy...he will be back barring an insane offer sheet from another team.

mattyd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 01:49 PM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
In his dreams.
Actually just go back and watch. One to many moves just like Kovy.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 02:36 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
Actually just go back and watch. One to many moves just like Kovy.
Oh, there's all the bad in him that Kovalev had. Just my opinion but Kovalev is in a completely different stratosphere of talent and ability. But I actually remember Kovalev. Most people just perpetuate the same stereotypical lazy Russian nonsense. I remember how instrumental Kovalev was to winning a cup. I remember exactly how frustrating he was at times. I remember that he could never break through that hump. But I remember exactly how good he was. Zherdev is no Kovalev. Not by a long shot. Zherdev might be smarter though at a young age. Unfortunately he's not a player that plays on the edge. He's a natural floater. It's hard to change that or ask for more from those types of players. The best you usually can do is surround a guy like that with complimentary talent and hope for the best.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 03:06 PM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post

He's a natural floater.
As was Kovalev, for the most part.

Still, what's the problem with having your best offensive player cherry-picking sometimes? Our defense has been so poor since Leetch left that we've become conditioned to needing the forwards to backcheck to prevent goals. That's not the case in a lot of places, that have defensemen who actually do what they're paid to do, which the two highest-paid defensemen for the Rangers do not.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post

and let Sangs step in for PP time and Sauer maybe as the 6th
Maybe I've missed something, but since when are either of these guys ready to play in the NHL..?

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 07:28 PM
Salvage21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
Maybe I've missed something, but since when are either of these guys ready to play in the NHL..?
From what I've seen, but most importantly from the regular posters in the AHL thread(squishy, Immonen) it's pretty clear that Sauer is the most NHL ready and could come in a be a very serviceable #6-almost the same way Girardi came in and played a very sound defensive game. Sanguinetti on the other hand still needs a bit more time. I think now that Staal and Girardi are a couple of years into the league and taking a bit more responsibility, the Rangers could afford to bring in a rookie.

Salvage21 is offline   Reply With Quote