HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Zherdev under Tortorella...

Old
03-13-2009, 08:49 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
Imagine Z's talent with Cally's hustle
I imagined it and saw Alex Ovechkin.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 08:51 PM
lotus

All the Kovalev talk that has gone on is so....incorrect. It just reminds me of all the people who chant "Potvin sucks" and have no clue who he is. Everyone hates Kovalev! Who knows why! Who Cares!

It's a stupid comparison to begin with. They're Russian, that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyZ View Post
Hahah, I like that. He would be pretty scary.

You can't get it done on skill alone, hell learn that soon.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 09:22 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyZ View Post
I wonder the chances of having an all Russian line. Anisimov, Zherdev and Grachev. That line buying into Tortorellas system might be as scary as any line in hockey. Call it the "Siberian express" or something. We haven't had a nick name for a line since the GAG line including 2 Hall of Famers Gilbert, Ratelle and Hadfield. We're due.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 09:36 PM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
I wonder the chances of having an all Russian line. Anisimov, Zherdev and Grachev. That line buying into Tortorellas system might be as scary as any line in hockey. Call it the "Siberian express" or something. We haven't had a nick name for a line since the GAG line including 2 Hall of Famers Gilbert, Ratelle and Hadfield. We're due.
FLY line omg?

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 09:37 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Jane McManus makes a solid point in her blog post:

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/

Quote:
Nik Zherdev’s benching wasn’t likely only due to the sloppy back pass in the offensive zone, which led to the rush the other way and the second Nashville goal. Clearly the kid has talent and a pair of hands comparable to few in the league (and fewer on the Rangers). But also, clearly, there is more that he doesn’t do that ticks off coaches. The giveaway was probably just the last straw. Now it’s up to Tortorella to get him back in there and to turn his benching for the last two periods into a positive.
This is what i have been trying to get across here.

Great, Tortorella made his point, now, try to turn that into something proactive.

Get Zherdev in there on Saturday afternoon, and NOT on the damned third line for only 10 minutes, i mean give him 20 minutes of ice time on one of the top 2 lines and let him rectify the situation with his play on the ice.

It will do NO good to the situation, it will do NO good to Zherdev's development if he gets decreased ice time in a decreased role.

You made your point, Totorella, now man up and let the kid do something about it.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 09:41 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
What about the Czech connection?

Hlavac - Nedved - Dvorak

That line alone tallied 91 goals in 2000-2001.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 10:03 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
What about the Czech connection?

Hlavac - Nedved - Dvorak

That line alone tallied 91 goals in 2000-2001.
I remember the line, just not the nick name. Good one though. I like the potential of this one better however. But that Czech line made the Rangers fun to watch at least. Nedved had some good years here.

As a matter of fact, outside of N. America it seems like this whole organization is attracted to either Czech of Slovak players til this day. Just by looking at their European prospects and Zaborsky with the Pack.

You figure by the time Grachev and Anisimov really start becoming a force, Drury's contract will be gone, as will Naslund's and Rozsival's. So we can finally begin signing some of these kids.

Old
03-13-2009, 10:09 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
I remember the line, just not the nick name. Good one though. I like the potential of this one better however. But that Czech line made the Rangers fun to watch at least. Nedved had some good years here.

As a matter of fact, outside of N. America it seems like this whole organization is attracted to either Czech of Slovak players til this day. Just by looking at their European prospects and Zaborsky with the Pack.

You figure by the time Grachev and Anisimov really start becoming a force, Drury's contract will be gone, as will Naslund's and Rozsival's. So we can finally begin signing some of these kids.
Czech-Mates

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 11:55 PM
levski87

Quote:

Great, Tortorella made his point, now, try to turn that into something proactive.

Get Zherdev in there on Saturday afternoon, and NOT on the damned third line for only 10 minutes, i mean give him 20 minutes of ice time on one of the top 2 lines and let him rectify the situation with his play on the ice.

It will do NO good to the situation, it will do NO good to Zherdev's development if he gets decreased ice time in a decreased role.

You made your point, Totorella, now man up and let the kid do something about it.
I wouldn't read into it to much if hes on the 3rd line. If he comes out hustling and playing hard he will get more ice time. Just like Avery and Cally did in the last game. He has to earn his ice time back and I'm sure Zherdev will do it.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 12:06 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I like Zherdev, so i keep an eye on him the entire shift. I'm sure Torts is keeping a close eye too - he knows how good of a player he can be. Lets not forget he is only 24, so there is still some growing room. I think Tortorella is the perfect guy for him, he is different than Hitchcock.
Yeah, because Hitchcock only got 26 goals and 61 points out of him on a far inferior team that the NYR...wait, what was the question?

What is the big deal? He got benched because he deserved it. He turned the puck over and it led to a goal. Ice time Zherdev's currency and Torts benching him for that long will send him in one direction or another.

If he has hissy fit and says: "I am going back to Russia this is too hard", so be it. Do you guys really want to tip toe around a 60 point player who disappears in physical games? Renney got fired for tip toeing around guys and now people are pitching a fit when Torts does the opposite?

The reality is that the Rangers won that game WITHOUT the help of Zherdev. If he was the best player (like some people want to claim) a full on benching wouldn't be an option. FYI your best player isn't a guy who is in and out and unreliable.

Is he the most talented? Without a doubt, but talent doesn't equate to all around player.

The thing that will really be thread-worthy is what will his response be vs. the flyers and if he responds well, how long will he sustain it.

Last edited by hashmarks: 03-14-2009 at 12:17 AM.
hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 12:16 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Czech-Mates
yea that's right. thanks. The Czech connection sounded familiar though too. Just finally thought of the French Connection (Martin, Robert, and Perreault). Played for the Sabres.

Old
03-14-2009, 01:03 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
I guess sitting on the bench through two whole periods is different. Truth is whatever was said in the room looks like it took hold . I wonder is Z sitting was just part of the overall effect Torts wanted to impart on the team.

The one aspect of this not being explored is that it's possible Torts did this for one of his publicity stunts and Zherdev might be largely innocent. Dude has a notably big ego and a famously short temper, plus it's not like there seemed to be any negative Zherdev issue the entire time under Renney. This might be one of the rare times the player isnt guilty.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 01:13 AM
Unk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
The one aspect of this not being explored is that it's possible Torts did this for one of his publicity stunts and Zherdev might be largely innocent. Dude has a notably big ego and a famously short temper, plus it's not like there seemed to be any negative Zherdev issue the entire time under Renney. This might be one of the rare times the player isnt guilty.
Or it could just be the obvious - Torts wasn't impressed with Zherdev's lackadaisical play and inconsistency, and was willing to bench him for it, whereas Renney wasn't so hard on his players?

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 01:14 AM
TrojanRanger

Quote:

LOL!

Captain toolbag never disappoints!

TrojanRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 01:16 AM
BlueShirts702

vCash: 1168
Quote:

It's up to Z man to man up. Not Torts. Torts is the boss. Z is an employee. He needs to get on board and play hard every single shift, or he's not going to enjoy playing for our Tortorella...ella...ella...ella.....

(insert Chris Brown joke here.)

BlueShirts702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 01:24 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Zherdev might be as overrated around here than Brandon Dubinsky.

Zherdev is what he is. I honestly don't think he's getting that much better. He's a player who undoubtedly has some serious skill, doesn't portray it often, and even with that skill, he decides not to do fancy things (could be a coaching decision / afraid to give the puck up, etc).

For example: the shootouts between the legs shot every time isn't going to work Nikky boy. Don't you think goalies know there shooters?

About 85% of the shots he take gets blocked, and it's because of him 90% of the time, not the defenseman making a good play.

His passing is fantastic. A lot of the time. AND he has a GREAT shot when he can release it openly (which is hardly ever).

He's just not that good. 30 goals MAX in his career for a season I'd say, and maybe a 50 assist guy some day. But no superstar.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 01:32 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Torts did this for a publicity stunt. I'm sure before the game he had it all planned out in the locker room. First player to make a mistake is going to sit for the rest of the game even if he didn't make a mistake. Tortorella definitely seems like the type of coach that would make up a stunt like this because he's looking for more media attention. Maybe he did it as a publicity stunt to make a name for himself in case he get's fired at the end of the year.

There didn't seem to be any negative issue between Renney and Zherdev except for the one time he benched Z. So I can see this as being a stunt to make sure everyone knows there's a new "sheriff" in town and you better not piss him off even if you did nothing wrong (that's his motto) and his name is John Tortorella. I wouldn't be surprised if he benches Zherdev again to get a "one up" on Tom Renney.

Old
03-14-2009, 02:12 AM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash the Net View Post
Zherdev might be as overrated around here than Brandon Dubinsky.

Zherdev is what he is. I honestly don't think he's getting that much better. He's a player who undoubtedly has some serious skill, doesn't portray it often, and even with that skill, he decides not to do fancy things (could be a coaching decision / afraid to give the puck up, etc).

For example: the shootouts between the legs shot every time isn't going to work Nikky boy. Don't you think goalies know there shooters?

About 85% of the shots he take gets blocked, and it's because of him 90% of the time, not the defenseman making a good play.

His passing is fantastic. A lot of the time. AND he has a GREAT shot when he can release it openly (which is hardly ever).

He's just not that good. 30 goals MAX in his career for a season I'd say, and maybe a 50 assist guy some day. But no superstar.
30 g 50 a? And you "don't think he's getting that much better"? An 80 point offensive player is MUCH better than a 60 point offensive player. 33% better. If that what you think he's capable of, I don't think most people are overrating him. I think that's what many people think he is capable of if he puts in the effort Tortorella wants from him.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 02:16 AM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Torts did this for a publicity stunt. I'm sure before the game he had it all planned out in the locker room. First player to make a mistake is going to sit for the rest of the game even if he didn't make a mistake. Tortorella definitely seems like the type of coach that would make up a stunt like this because he's looking for more media attention. Maybe he did it as a publicity stunt to make a name for himself in case he get's fired at the end of the year.
I wouldn't be surprised if this whole thing was constructed in the NHL offices just to get another "bad boy" to market the game. Imagine the NBC commercials featuring the infamous Avery led by the bad ass coach who tears his players apart for sport. Who wouldn't tune in for that?

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 02:50 AM
BlueShirts702

vCash: 1168
LOL. C'mon guys....let me get one of those tin foil hats!

BlueShirts702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 03:05 PM
John Locke*

What does Torts think about Antropov?

John Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote