HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What A Crazy Year for Young Players/Prospects

Old
03-14-2009, 05:22 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
What A Crazy Year for Young Players/Prospects

Wrote a new article for my site so I was crunching numbers and looking over some things. Thought I would post it here. Most of this stuff wasn't in the article but thought it might be of interest.

Clearly this year has not been kind to Hab fans with all the off ice distractions and the teams struggles on the ice. When it comes to the young players in the system and our prospects, there are some really highs and lows so far this year, guys like Subban, Weber, Maxwell, Pacioretty, and Quailer have had big years so far, while the NHL club has seen a number of setbacks and or growing pains from the likes of Ryan O'Byrne, Sergei Kostitsyn, Carey Price, Kyle Chipchura to go along with guys that were prospects just a few short years ago, Chris Higgins and Tomas Plekanec.

While the struggles of Price are hopefully tied to injury then rumors of off ice issues, for Ryan O'Byrne and Sergei Kostitsyn, it was their first full season in the NHL, while they both were sent to Hamilton to work on their game and clearly have not been as good as they were last year, both have looked better since being sent down and now O'Byrne looks more confident this time around with Kostitsyn perhaps not far behind. It's a shame Chipchura could not fair better in the nhl after being called up, but at least he continues to play well at the AHL level and continues to get some nhl action, as next year will be a big one in telling where his future is within this organization.

Seeing Higgins struggle so much after scoring 27 goals last year and Pleks who has been so much better since the slew foot but his massive drop in production is a shocker at least to me, going from 70 pts last year to less then 40 so far this year.

On the other hand, in Hamilton you have 4 rookies that are in the top 20 in rookie scoring with Maxwell, Desharnais, Trotter and Weber all racking up the points. Weber may be the most impressive of the rookies imo as he's among the ahl's top goal scorers for defensemen, not bad for a guy that was 19 when camp opened. Plus Pacioretty if he hadn't been called up would likely be on the list and who's to say Olivier Latendresse wouldn't as well, as his pro rated stats when he was called up had him right up there with Desharnais and Maxwell, and he was ripping the ECHL apart, leading the league in scoring before his recall to Hamilton.

Then you have Subban dominating the OHL and set to turn pro when his season with the Bulls is over. Plus you could see Ryan McDonagh turn pro and lesser knowns Philippe Paquet and Olivier Fortier could be fighting for jobs in Hamilton next year.

Steve Quailer is looking better and better, Maxim Turnev got a decent amount of ice time for a kid that doesn't turn 19 until next season starts up in Russia. Plus Nichlas Torp returned to action after missing the entire season to play in 44 games in the SEL at 19 and 4 playoff games so far. Emelin has made his way back onto the Russian National team for Euro Cup, which at least helps his chances of making the WC team next month.

All in all it's been a strange year, hopefully the guys that struggled get back on track at some point, while the growing pains for the 1st full season players is not a big surprise, just tough when it's more then one at a time struggling. The '07 draft continues to look good, so we could see that starting to pay more dividends in the next year to two.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 05:29 PM
CPrice

The only guy that I can't see coming back is Chips. i saw a lot of potential in him last year and thought he looked good in training camp. But his short stint with the Habs he didn't look so good.
Well written as usual, keep us updated.

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 05:32 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Nice read. Thanks dude.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 05:45 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Would you consider that Ryan White is having a good season in Hamilton?

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 05:53 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPrice View Post
The only guy that I can't see coming back is Chips. i saw a lot of potential in him last year and thought he looked good in training camp. But his short stint with the Habs he didn't look so good.
Well written as usual, keep us updated.
Well I don't see where Chipchura would be going and I don't see why the Habs would want to move him. Next year if he can't make the team, then Gainey has a problem cause I would think he wouldn't pass through waivers, but no need to move him now as with 18 ufa's in the organization, Gainey will need some bodies and Chipchura has spent time in the nhl the last 2 years. In addition, who's to say he won't improve next year under a new coach, if he can get quicker.

Plus I don't see what value he really holds right now, but over the summer i would think he'll get a cheap one year deal since he's got a big cap hit right now but I would guess that he would trade the money for a one way deal at a reduced rate of say 550K or so. Of course that's a wild guess at this point. Guess we'll see what Gainey thinks of him this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
Would you consider that Ryan White is having a good season in Hamilton?
Yea, he's having a decent year for sure, but has been really snake bit of late. He was on a line with Maxwell and Kostitsyn so that should help him get some points while Chipchura was on a line with Russell and Wyman, a very good defensive line as all 3 are smart in their own end. If Chipchura could only have Russell's first step quickness/acceleration.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote